Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1219860 times)

Xtal

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2015, 04:08:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think you might be wrong about that. I believe Ermico is still making the non-forged, Indy, Thunder, Venture trucks...
[close]

Correct.  Ermico pours any cast metal for indy, thunder and venture.  That includes all hangers and cast baseplates.  All of the forged components and titanium axles are from China.

Trucks with aluminum hangers from china (Ace, Krux, Destructo, etc) grind  better than anything on the planet but wear down a little quicker due to the metal being slightly softer than what they use at Ermico

[close]
That's weird, I just bought a set of Indy 139 forged Titanium and they are specifically labled "Made In The USA".
[close]

I've thought about buying those expensive ass trucks due to the titanium axle and slightly better quality overall, but they put hollow kingpins in them and I will never ride hollow's. Every person I've ever met skating hollow kingpin's no matter what company snapped them. I'm sure I could put a regular kingpin in there that will fit but I don't fuck with kingpins. Just bushings and pivot cups although I've never had to replace a cup yet.
[close]
Hollow kingpins are stronger than regular. It's physics, check it out.
[close]

Unless they use a stronger grade metal, I have every reason to believe they're not as strong as regular kingpins.
[close]
Yes, most hollow kingpins are titanium where as solid kingpins are not. Also, the bulk of strength in a cylinder is concentrated in the outside. The ability to flex also results to less fracturing meaning a solid cylinder is likely to fracture from the inside out and a hollow cylinder is less likely to do so.
[close]

Theeve makes the only hollow titanium kingpin on the planet.  All others (Indy, thunder, venture, etc) are steel

Theeve claimed to have a titanium alloy hanger, and this was proven to be wrong. The company is exactly what the name states...thieves. Charging twice as much as other trucks for the same old shit. Therefore, their claim that their kingpins are titanium is most likely false.

Such

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2015, 05:59:20 PM »
Expand Quote
i bought some indy 149�s from this shitty shop and they gave me one hollow and one standard. would i even notice? are they different in any way? height is the same i think. i hope they dont turn differently. hollows are the Reynolds model. i mean its a 26.g difference so i doubt id notice it. i cant feel which is which in my hands.

the shop is closed now so i cant return them. serves them right.
[close]

That would fuck with my OCD... Is the shop closed forever or just in the holidays? if so wait for it to open so you can change them.

bankrupt. cant say i feel bad for them.

BMCsteve

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think you might be wrong about that. I believe Ermico is still making the non-forged, Indy, Thunder, Venture trucks...
[close]

Correct.  Ermico pours any cast metal for indy, thunder and venture.  That includes all hangers and cast baseplates.  All of the forged components and titanium axles are from China.

Trucks with aluminum hangers from china (Ace, Krux, Destructo, etc) grind  better than anything on the planet but wear down a little quicker due to the metal being slightly softer than what they use at Ermico

[close]
That's weird, I just bought a set of Indy 139 forged Titanium and they are specifically labled "Made In The USA".
[close]

I've thought about buying those expensive ass trucks due to the titanium axle and slightly better quality overall, but they put hollow kingpins in them and I will never ride hollow's. Every person I've ever met skating hollow kingpin's no matter what company snapped them. I'm sure I could put a regular kingpin in there that will fit but I don't fuck with kingpins. Just bushings and pivot cups although I've never had to replace a cup yet.
[close]
Hollow kingpins are stronger than regular. It's physics, check it out.
[close]

Unless they use a stronger grade metal, I have every reason to believe they're not as strong as regular kingpins.
[close]
Yes, most hollow kingpins are titanium where as solid kingpins are not. Also, the bulk of strength in a cylinder is concentrated in the outside. The ability to flex also results to less fracturing meaning a solid cylinder is likely to fracture from the inside out and a hollow cylinder is less likely to do so.
[close]

Theeve makes the only hollow titanium kingpin on the planet.  All others (Indy, thunder, venture, etc) are steel
[close]

Theeve claimed to have a titanium alloy hanger, and this was proven to be wrong. The company is exactly what the name states...thieves. Charging twice as much as other trucks for the same old shit. Therefore, their claim that their kingpins are titanium is most likely false.

Not exactly correct.  They have one model (TiH) that has a full Titanium hanger and two models with a Titanium Axle (TiKing and TiAx).  

The youtube video "disproving" them was that they claimed their regular models used a "Titanium Alloy Blend" for the hangers and baseplates which was actually like .12% titanium.

The TiKing titanium kingpin is legitimately titanium as well.  I've had them
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:06:48 PM by BMCsteve »

chumlee

« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2015, 08:40:43 PM »
This thread is a whole lot

zippy z

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2015, 08:52:32 PM »
I switched from Thunder 149 hollows to Indy 149 hollows, and had to swap bushings in the Indys for Doh Dohs medium soft so they didn't feel tight. The stock bushings are garbage. I'm fine with the stock Thunder bushings, and have both sets stock tight--nuts flush with bolts.

Other than the quality of the stock bushings, the main thing I have noticed is the stability of the truck compared to the turning radius. To put it simply:

• ~  Thunders feel like they turn quickly on a single point at the center of my board
  • ~  Indys feel like they turn quickly on my wheels

I guess its like someone described the difference between a snowboard turning on its rail versus a skateboard turning on its center line. Shit, I ride a snowboard and like it.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2015, 09:23:34 PM »
This thread is a whole lot

haha yeah really skate nerd shit right here

I ride the Thunder hi's 147 with the aftermarket bushings 95 duro. works really well.. a little stiffer than the stock bushings but get nice and squishy after a few times. both washers and my trucks are not too loose or tight.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2015, 10:22:43 PM »
I ride all my stuff really tight like no rattle....when you drop it, it's just one thud. 

One weird thing I do is wipe my trucks....definitely when I clean my bearings I use acetone or whatever to get rid of any dirt or grime...

I didn't give a shit for most of my life but now possibly because I'm older and weirder I do this stuff....

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2015, 10:44:14 PM »
the plain ass indy's or reynolds hollow (non forged baseplates) and blue after market indy barrel bushings. this shit's not rocket science.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2015, 11:43:01 PM »
Regular Indys 10.5 (had a pair of hollow light thunders and broke the kingpin on a hospital flip and hollow kingpins scare me now)
Bones hard bushings hard duro
No bottom washer, top one only to prevent the nut from digging in
Tightened to see 2 threads
Butterfly sticker a little girl gave me to mark my back truck
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2015, 02:02:58 AM »
can i get a opinion real quick

thunder hollow lights or indy hollow lights
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 02:08:49 AM by ducky darnsworth »

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2015, 04:39:54 AM »

Of the two I prefer thunder

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2015, 01:24:11 PM »
Thunder hollow 147, usually stock bushing, no bottom washer, kingpin nut flush, 2 washers on the inside

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2015, 09:17:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

ok thanks, do you think any axle bending problems would happen if i skate some gaps with them? i don't really think it would happen but you never know.

Otis Fatona-Pinet

• Rep: -12
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2015, 11:29:29 PM »
I've really been liking Royals lately, and just picked up a set on my new complete.  Went with the inverted kingpin cuz the clearance on them was my only issue. With some bones bushings and both washers the 5.25, meant for 7.75-8.25 feel really nice on an 8.5. I ride them pretty lose and like the feeling of having to be over the center of my board for stability. Turning is super easy and feels amazing and even with 53mm wheels wheelbite isn't much of a problem. I understand why people don't like royals tho. The stock bushing and pretty weird and the metal seems. Different than any other truck but once they get broken in skate and grind great.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 11:36:39 PM by Otis Fatona-Pinet »

zippy z

« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2015, 03:52:04 PM »
I've had both and prefer Indy.

Expand Quote

[close]

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2015, 09:43:08 PM »
Mini Logo 8.38, i usually loosen them and skate for like 10 min to break them in and then take out the kingpin washer or else I cant get them loose enough, tighten them just passed finger level. I started using risers recently too.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2015, 07:58:22 AM »
Been riding some Thunder 149 highs with the hollow axle for awhile and really liked them. But I got a set of 149 IIs for Christmas that I'm pretty excited to try out. I'm pretty overdue to change but I always try to hold out for as long as I can.

Also, awhile ago I bought some Bones Mediums for my cruiser board (also with Thunders) and am pretty perplexed by the hype. Never in my life had I been so frustrated by bushings. It was impossible to get my trucks to feel right, the shape felt awkward to me, and no amount of modification seemed to make a difference. I've always just used stock bushings and for the most part have never had any overwhelming problems with them unless the trucks themselves are old. Anyone else here feel similarly? I know they're pretty popular bushings, but I just couldn't get them to feel right.

Xtal

« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2015, 10:29:43 AM »
Been riding some Thunder 149 highs with the hollow axle for awhile and really liked them. But I got a set of 149 IIs for Christmas that I'm pretty excited to try out. I'm pretty overdue to change but I always try to hold out for as long as I can.

Also, awhile ago I bought some Bones Mediums for my cruiser board (also with Thunders) and am pretty perplexed by the hype. Never in my life had I been so frustrated by bushings. It was impossible to get my trucks to feel right, the shape felt awkward to me, and no amount of modification seemed to make a difference. I've always just used stock bushings and for the most part have never had any overwhelming problems with them unless the trucks themselves are old. Anyone else here feel similarly? I know they're pretty popular bushings, but I just couldn't get them to feel right.

Bones bushings don't fit Thunder's correctly. I discovered this on my own and called DLXSF about it and they agreed you need regular cylinder or conical bushings by either Thunder or Indy with both the top and bottom washer.

N.L.

« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2015, 11:45:28 AM »
I've used bones bushings on thunder 149s and 151s with bottom and top washers, worked perfectly fine.

Xtal

« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2015, 12:00:24 PM »
I've used bones bushings on thunder 149s and 151s with bottom and top washers, worked perfectly fine.

Maybe because you used a bottom washer? I could barely get the bones to fit on regular 149 hi's. Didn't use a bottom washer but I did use a top and within less than a week the bushing was all deformed and it definitely was not a defect. Thunder trucks are great trucks, but Bones ain't a good idea.

N.L.

« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2015, 12:59:58 PM »
Correct. My preferred combo was bones med bottom with bottom washer and stock thunder top bushing.

Randozzi

« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2015, 01:06:22 PM »
Currently skating regular stage 11 149 Indys with two spacers on the inside of each wheel, one outside. Tried the Bones mediums for a while but they kept blowing out. Switched to the hards and after they broke in they have been perfect. Have a set of hollow 149s that I'm going to put medium Indy after market conical bushings in. Have heard good things about them from folks on here.

themanwhomakes

• Rep: -5
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2015, 01:51:02 PM »
I've rode pretty much everything and was convinced i needed super blown out bones bushings to even be able to skate. Then i got indy red and orange aftermarkets, but due to how much my trucks (indy 149 standard) were already worn down i couldnt properly fit the bottom bushing. So i decided to compromise by putting the harder orange top bushing as my bottom and a red for the top. Breaking them in was a little weird, but im skating the best ive ever skated right now. It's basically just a lower and more responsive indy. The orange gives me a little more tightness and the red gives me a little wiggly jiggly. Would definitely reccomend trying if you like super loose trucks but want a bit more control. Enough to slappy, wallie, wallride easily, but still tight enough for everything else. Im 6'1 145 lbs
One post in and he's threatening pro skaters with violence over their shitty bands. Best first post ever?

Xtal

« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2015, 02:42:57 PM »
I've rode pretty much everything and was convinced i needed super blown out bones bushings to even be able to skate. Then i got indy red and orange aftermarkets, but due to how much my trucks (indy 149 standard) were already worn down i couldnt properly fit the bottom bushing. So i decided to compromise by putting the harder orange top bushing as my bottom and a red for the top. Breaking them in was a little weird, but im skating the best ive ever skated right now. It's basically just a lower and more responsive indy. The orange gives me a little more tightness and the red gives me a little wiggly jiggly. Would definitely reccomend trying if you like super loose trucks but want a bit more control. Enough to slappy, wallie, wallride easily, but still tight enough for everything else. Im 6'1 145 lbs

Nice set up. Do you know if you have the cylinder or conical shapes?

Randozzi

« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2015, 08:19:11 PM »
That's great to hear, thanks!

themanwhomakes

• Rep: -5
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2015, 12:20:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're the conicals, but it doesnt matter because im using two top bushings haha
One post in and he's threatening pro skaters with violence over their shitty bands. Best first post ever?

Xtal

« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2015, 12:22:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They're the conicals, but it doesnt matter because im using two top bushings haha

Haha I didn't catch that but right on. Maybe I'll try that method some time.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2015, 01:05:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Indy or Thunder 149. Want to try ACE 55
Indy replacement 90a bushings
Back truck loose, top bushing cut in half with three washers
Front truck super wobbly, both bushings boiled for 45 min and top cut in half
[close]
Woah, never heard of boiling bushings, I'm curious what that does and perhaps even where you learned that from, very interesting set-up
Still curious about the boiling if you see this Lou!

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »
Threw the stock bushings with both washers back in my thunder 147s and they feel waaaaaay better now. Luckily I've also decided white bushings look the best. Kingpin bolt finger tightened and then one full turn with the tool. Also got my ace 44's today, look/feel real nice.

N.L.

« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2015, 03:36:57 PM »
Back on indy 149s with the 88a conical bushings. They really feel like shit next to my worn in thunder 151s. The timing on ollies is great and there is less wheelbite issues but the turn is so sluggish... I've got to stop alternating between truck brands and just commit to one...