Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1229712 times)

ballintoohard

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6000 on: August 01, 2019, 07:07:01 PM »
Have Bones in my Ventures, honestly didn't notice a shit ton. Slightly more wobble in the top, taking the washer off does give it more turn/wheelbite, but stock felt better IMO.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #6001 on: August 02, 2019, 01:28:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Zumiez
[close]

Not bought at Zumiez. Bought on ebay. I did go there for the first time the other day to return some ebay 147s and use the store credit for 148's though. They had no wheels over 53mm and I asked to see that blue/orange antihero GT hurricane they had on sale because I have the Russo one and wanted to see if the concave was the same and the guy grabbed a green/white AWS. What the fuck. Then he tried to sell me a primitive deck shaped like some cartoon character. Never again.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6002 on: August 02, 2019, 01:33:43 AM »
i know there's a been some talk about it, but Bones in Venture High (5.6)?

The stocks aren't bad, but I'm getting the itch to throw Bones mediums in there to have a little more carve. Plus i could be just losing my mind but I keep catching the stocks not sitting evenly. All four wheels touch the ground, no teetering, but if you look the angle is a little off on the front one in particular, kinda like sitting to the side is its natural state almost.

Again it's less a need and more a "could this feel even better if i were to add these?"

FWIW once they break in stock Ventures are historically my favorite bushings. That being said, the ones in the latest 5.2's I got seemed to be softer and are definitely more translucent, almost exactly like Thunder stock, and one of them split within an hour. I don't know if I just got a shit batch or they've changed their stocks over. I was fucking around with Krux stock yesterday and those seem to be really similar to the new Indy ones, which makes sense since they're NHS and made in China. I didn't get a chance to skate them yet, planning on doing so when I head to work in an hour.

dirtjers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6003 on: August 02, 2019, 06:04:32 AM »
Expand Quote
i know there's a been some talk about it, but Bones in Venture High (5.6)?

The stocks aren't bad, but I'm getting the itch to throw Bones mediums in there to have a little more carve. Plus i could be just losing my mind but I keep catching the stocks not sitting evenly. All four wheels touch the ground, no teetering, but if you look the angle is a little off on the front one in particular, kinda like sitting to the side is its natural state almost.

Again it's less a need and more a "could this feel even better if i were to add these?"
[close]

Word you're probably actually right. i had already ordered rip tides for them so i'll probably do that first and run the stocks longer to see whats up.

That's strange. Maybe it's a pivot cup issue since it sounds like it's a rotational thing rather than a tilt thing. I would think that if the hanger was sitting unevenly on the bushings that the wheels wouldn't sit right on the ground.

Curious about Bones in Ventures myself. I'm waiting on a pair of 5.6s to show up within the week. I have every intention of breaking in the stock bushings and giving them an honest go, but I have a set of Bones kicking around I can throw in to test out.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #6004 on: August 02, 2019, 05:51:00 PM »
My Venture stock bushings blew out in my 5.8 V-Lights. I’ve been on bones hards for maybe two weeks. They are super stable and I haven’t had any wheel bite issues. But I feel like the stocks were just a little bit more surfy for my liking. I’m gonna stick with the hards for maybe another week and then try some super cush for the fuck of it.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #6005 on: August 02, 2019, 06:16:16 PM »
Why doesn't venture sell replacement bushings? Indy makes their aftermarket replacements and thunder sells them too. It bums me out I can't just buy replacement purple or red venture bushings for a few bucks.

Diocletian

« Reply #6006 on: August 02, 2019, 07:34:39 PM »
Switched my front and back trucks and am getting a nice perfect U shape from grinds. I cheated. I’m a worthless asshole who deserves to die. That is all.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #6007 on: August 02, 2019, 08:07:00 PM »
My Venture stock bushings blew out in my 5.8 V-Lights. I’ve been on bones hards for maybe two weeks. They are super stable and I haven’t had any wheel bite issues. But I feel like the stocks were just a little bit more surfy for my liking. I’m gonna stick with the hards for maybe another week and then try some super cush for the fuck of it.

Super cush are underrated. They're awesome.  I could never get past the clicking break in period of bones

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6008 on: August 03, 2019, 12:30:11 PM »
Ha interesting that there's been a few mentions of the supercush - I just got a tube of them. They're molded, not machined - so appearance wise they're pretty close to the old indy stock. I also got a pack of the Krux "world's best cushions" and they're machined and appearance-wise are quite close to the new indy albeit in white rather than orange. Since they're both NHS I think it's probably fair to assume they're coming from the same place in China.

Top row left is old Indy stock, right is new Indy stock
Bottom row left is Supercush, right is Krux

The krux feel slightly harder than the rest, which makes sense since they're supposed to be 92a while the rest are 90a - but then again the durometer scales used in skate goods are notoriously imprecise so take this with a grain of salt. The supercush feel almost exactly the same as the old indy stock in my obviously very accurate pinch test. One interesting thing about the Krux that I didn't realize is that they come with new washers and pivot cups. I'm not going to put them in yet for the sake of comparison, but that seems like decent value for $6.

Super cush are underrated. They're awesome.  I could never get past the clicking break in period of bones

If you're having clicking or squeaking it's probably from the pivot cups rather than the bushings. A bit of lubricant in the pivot cups usually solves it, but you can also use a bit on the seat of the bushings if you're having really bad Thunder-esque squeaking issues.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 12:32:53 PM by Buttfart Rapedick »

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #6009 on: August 03, 2019, 07:07:13 PM »

Old set up is perfect. 149’ers with Bones hard bushings. I’m 6’3 and over 110kgs so I need the hard ones.
Twin Perks

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2204
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6010 on: August 03, 2019, 09:09:07 PM »
Thunder High 149s w/ Bones medium (yellow core) bushings, no bottom washer, flat washer on top. I run them as loose as I can before getting massive wheel bite with 55-56 mm wheels: basically, no threads showing/flush. I always go for the “TEAM” etched baseplates, when possible. Just feels... exclusive? No risers.
I also run a different colored baseplate on one of ‘em so I always wind up with the same one on the tail; that way I can get to the axle as quickly as possible, because, heh, who doesn’t love the sense of accomplishment that comes with burning through a hanger?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6011 on: August 04, 2019, 02:50:31 AM »
Instead of different baseplates why not just mark them? I just scratch a little F on the back of the baseplate with a knife. That way it's protected from getting scraped or ground off.

You should post your mismatched baseplates in the setup thread and watch the divas lose their shit about it haha

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2204
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6012 on: August 04, 2019, 07:58:38 AM »
Instead of different baseplates why not just mark them? I just scratch a little F on the back of the baseplate with a knife. That way it's protected from getting scraped or ground off.

A fine question. I guess the only answers I have are: a) for at least twenty of the last 30-something years I’ve been riding, I’ve been lucky enough to have access to gear in a way that, if I want it a certain way, I can have it that way. It’s nice to “know people” when you have ding-dong ideas about how you want your set up. And b) I prefer a little asymmetry in my set up. Prior to getting privileged access to the warehouse, when I was a little kid, I would take one truck apart & hit the hanger or baseplate with some rattle can paint. Whenever possible, which generally is always, I also like to run one different color wheel. Matters little to me what that other color is, or where it is on the board. It’s an aesthetic thing, I guess. As a teen, I saw Lance with a 3x1 wheel set up & loved the way it looked. I’ve been doing it ever since. Of course, a small amount of research is required to determine which molds/cuts/formulas are used so you wind up with a “matched” mixed set, but that requires little effort.
I always mess around with a razor blade a bit while gripping my decks as well. Full disclosure: I started skating in the early/mid 80s so this wasn’t a wacky thing to do at all & I guess the practice never died for me.
If I had any talent, I probably would have been one of those art school kids.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:50:29 AM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #6013 on: August 04, 2019, 09:16:03 AM »
Sounds like I want to see that setup, sounds great to me!

Als riding lace wheels and chaotic grip

PMA

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #6014 on: August 05, 2019, 10:56:08 AM »
Recently put some Krux downlow kingpins in my Thunder team editions. I generally ride my trucks medium-tight and they've been perfect so far with Thunder rebuild bushings.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #6015 on: August 05, 2019, 01:11:28 PM »
Mine worked fine for awhile but have since started to losen a bunch.  I'd recommend putting some of that lock tite stuff...

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6016 on: August 05, 2019, 06:49:41 PM »
Thought I would chime in about Ventures after skating some 5.8’s for a solid week and a half. Theoretically I should hate these trucks, but I’m in LOVE. All my life I’ve had something against Venture for no apparent reason at all, I think it is the shape which I’ve since grown to love. I skate mainly transition and they turn just as good as Indy’s - but are a lot more stable which is a nice change after spending months on short wheelbases (14.1”) with Aces/Indy’s. I’m now on 14.5” wheelbase with Ventures and my short ass definitely didn’t see myself loving this setup so much.

Turning compared to Aces is a little slower and different, but it’s so worth it for the stability, I’ve even been able to size down to 8.25 from 8.5-9” because of the longer wheelbase. Think i’ll be on these for a while as the madness has disappeared for now haha

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #6017 on: August 05, 2019, 07:51:41 PM »
Man you guys got me considering Ventures again. Like a lot of people I skated Venture Lows on 7.5" decks back in the day. After that I switched to Indy's and never really looked back. What durometer are the stock bushings in Ventures Highs? I always ride at least 94a bushings in my Indy's now because I'm not as skinny as I used to be. If I tried out some Ventures I'd like to know there are aftermarket bushings that would work in them without screwing up the geometry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6018 on: August 05, 2019, 08:53:41 PM »
Thought I would chime in about Ventures after skating some 5.8’s for a solid week and a half. Theoretically I should hate these trucks, but I’m in LOVE. All my life I’ve had something against Venture for no apparent reason at all, I think it is the shape which I’ve since grown to love. I skate mainly transition and they turn just as good as Indy’s - but are a lot more stable which is a nice change after spending months on short wheelbases (14.1”) with Aces/Indy’s. I’m now on 14.5” wheelbase with Ventures and my short ass definitely didn’t see myself loving this setup so much.

Turning compared to Aces is a little slower and different, but it’s so worth it for the stability, I’ve even been able to size down to 8.25 from 8.5-9” because of the longer wheelbase. Think i’ll be on these for a while as the madness has disappeared for now haha

I briefly switched back to Indy after getting some new ventures, I usually ride loose and prefer ACE and or Thunder.

While Venture is nowhere near any of the above, I switched right back due to the stability, apparently I like it.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6019 on: August 05, 2019, 09:52:48 PM »
Man you guys got me considering Ventures again. Like a lot of people I skated Venture Lows on 7.5" decks back in the day. After that I switched to Indy's and never really looked back. What durometer are the stock bushings in Ventures Highs? I always ride at least 94a bushings in my Indy's now because I'm not as skinny as I used to be. If I tried out some Ventures I'd like to know there are aftermarket bushings that would work in them without screwing up the geometry.

Venture bushings are the same size as Indy bushings, so Indy bushings work great. I can't remember what durometer the Venture stock bushings are (I'm thinking 90A) but I'd give them a shot if I were you. You can rock softer bushings on Ventures than on Indys without issues.

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #6020 on: August 06, 2019, 11:56:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Venture bushings are the same size as Indy bushings, so Indy bushings work great. I can't remember what durometer the Venture stock bushings are (I'm thinking 90A) but I'd give them a shot if I were you. You can rock softer bushings on Ventures than on Indys without issues.

That's good to know. I know a lot of people love Bones Bushings, but I personally can't stand how they change the turning radius on Indys. Think I'm going to try out a set of Venture High 5.8' soon. Just want the try the standards with no fancy forged baseplates or graphics on them.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6021 on: August 06, 2019, 06:51:54 PM »

Oh wow this got me excited, Indy aftermarket oranges are my favourite. Though I’m not minding the stock ones so far.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6022 on: August 07, 2019, 11:33:44 PM »

Newer Venture stock bushings are around 90a, they're very similar in feel to the older stock Indy bushings. Older venture stocks were a bit harder (this is just a guess but I'd say they feel around 92-94), and are some of my favorite bushings ever. Those bushings and the inherent stability of a Venture lo make it probably the most stable truck I've tried, I don't think I've ever gotten speed wobbles on them. The new ones are good in their own right, but I did split one during my first session on them.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #6023 on: August 08, 2019, 03:46:23 AM »
maybe this is a dumb as shit suggestion and maybe it's already been discussed but the other day i was in the bike shop with my friend getting an axle rethreaded on his indys and had a thought - why aren't we using threadlocker on axle nuts? it's common practice on pretty much every bolt/screw on a bike, keeps shit there securely and isnt permanent.

Complements4U

• Rep: 397
« Reply #6024 on: August 08, 2019, 04:46:28 AM »
maybe this is a dumb as shit suggestion and maybe it's already been discussed but the other day i was in the bike shop with my friend getting an axle rethreaded on his indys and had a thought - why aren't we using threadlocker on axle nuts? it's common practice on pretty much every bolt/screw on a bike, keeps shit there securely and isnt permanent.
It's not on nylock and it's also usually on places where the bolts cant be torked too much but need to stay put like stems, brake mounts or bottom brackets

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
« Reply #6025 on: August 08, 2019, 06:39:40 AM »
I was actually feeling the stock Venture bushings but I too blew out the top front bushing after only a week or so of skating them. It ripped through entirely on one side which I don't know if I've ever done before ha!

Probably my own damn fault because during that week I was going heavy on slappy crooks and nollie crooks depending on the obstacle at hand. Threw an older set of bones medium bottoms and hard tops in... feels surfier which is cool. I did the small bones washer on the bottom (I was reading that should keep the geo the same?) and a small bones washer on top too.

Since I don't really have a frame of reference with Venture (unlike Indy) I've been trying out different stuff to see how it would feel. I tried the Riptides in there, but it felt like they didn't fit too well and kinda made the truck sit weird... on top of that they made the truck feel a little too mushy if that makes sense. I put the stock pivots back and kinda like the way that feels a little more even though in theory I shouldn't.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #6026 on: August 08, 2019, 07:40:23 AM »
Right now I'm riding Ace 44 with three speed rings inside of each wheel. Mini logo bottom bushings, Ace 1st gen top bushings, no top washer.
My home town just got a park that's a lot of transition and the aces really shines in that kind of environment.

Diocletian

« Reply #6027 on: August 08, 2019, 09:03:42 PM »
All this talk about venture’s stability lately...anyone try the no top bushings, two top washers wobble?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #6028 on: August 09, 2019, 07:20:35 AM »
Peter Hewitt is skating 8.38 anti hero decks on stock Ti 159s 

sounds like a mini mega setup but the wheels hit just past flush

looks sick, i'm gonna swap some stuff around this weekend to try it out

Reese

« Reply #6029 on: August 09, 2019, 08:27:15 AM »
All this talk about venture’s stability lately...anyone try the no top bushings, two top washers wobble?

I did for a few days. The only thing I accomplished was to lose those days of actual skating at my little level