Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1224247 times)

tangar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6090 on: August 18, 2019, 10:48:20 AM »
For people who are good, you’re absolutely right. I am terrible but hated 44s on 8.5. But i fuck with 55s heavy. It’s all personal preference.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #6091 on: August 18, 2019, 02:31:41 PM »
Supposedly Ace is 7071 aluminum and Indy is 365 aluminum.  These are incomplete specifications so you can't draw any conclusions on hardness.

If you wanted to be a super nerd I guess you could take it upon yourself to try to harden the Al.  Put it in an oven at like 450 F for four hours and then age it in another oven at 120 F for 24 hours.  Recipe is approximate.

Reese

« Reply #6092 on: August 18, 2019, 04:56:55 PM »
Supposedly Ace is 7071 aluminum and Indy is 365 aluminum.  These are incomplete specifications so you can't draw any conclusions on hardness.

If you wanted to be a super nerd I guess you could take it upon yourself to try to harden the Al.  Put it in an oven at like 450 F for four hours and then age it in another oven at 120 F for 24 hours.  Recipe is approximate.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6093 on: August 18, 2019, 11:03:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Now if Ace could retool their sizes....
[close]
...and use better metals so they don't break as easily and use washers that actually fit the bushings etc...

also, i don't think the sizes should be completely changed, it's gonna be confusing as fuck and the current 66 size is apparently gonna disappear so they should really just add an 8.5 hanger to the lineup and stop fucking around so much and just stick to the current design while perfecting the smaller details.
[close]

44s are so close to a 149 we are talking 3mm in overall hangar width. What we really need is a size between 44 and 55. Say 8.6 or 8.75.

Yeah the hangar sizing is odd, my 03 hangar are a mm or 2 shorter than my 147 thunders but the axle on the 03 compared with the 147 line up perfectly to an 8” truck each

So basically ace 33/03 have less truck for grinding compared to other 8” trucks but only us kooks care

Does anyone know if the new ace classic lows are any different from the old ace lows? Like did they unbow the hangar and make them straight like all the new high aces?

I’m debating to put it on my wish list to get a new pair of ace lows 

So a harder metal slides smoother and better?
yes

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #6094 on: August 19, 2019, 12:04:23 AM »

Yes.  Based on the grind anything reputation G&S trucks (4130 Steel) have.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6095 on: August 19, 2019, 12:04:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Theoretically, but there's about a million variables and unless you want to descend down a black hole of metallurgy I wouldn't overthink it too much (I know, you're rob). Also, as for the home-bake tempering process outlined above - I say this gently - but what the fuck man? You got 4130 chromoly in the axle and hardened kingpins, trying to temper hanger/baseplate alloy in the oven would utterly and completely fuck the heat treating of your axles and kingpins.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6096 on: August 19, 2019, 12:10:19 AM »
I have a friend who did his engineering masters thesis on skateboard truck materials. I can ask him to chip in if he cares. Been meaning to read that thesis myself too. Might be interesting. 🤔

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6097 on: August 19, 2019, 01:42:13 AM »
I have a friend who did his engineering masters thesis on skateboard truck materials. I can ask him to chip in if he cares. Been meaning to read that thesis myself too. Might be interesting. 🤔
Sure I would appreciate it a lot.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6098 on: August 19, 2019, 07:32:34 AM »
I think it depends on what you are grinding but yes, I think the softer metal leads to more buttery grinds on ACEs...

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #6099 on: August 19, 2019, 07:38:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes.  Based on the grind anything reputation G&S trucks (4130 Steel) have.

G&S would grind on more than aluminum trucks, but the grind was not as nice. When I started skating again 6 years ago I was still on G&S. When I switched to Mini Logo I couldn’t believe how fast they were on standard coping.  Grinds are a 2 part equation.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #6100 on: August 19, 2019, 01:05:38 PM »
The theeve titanium, hard metal, the trucks would not grind down.  grind good on concrete, bad on anything else....hard metal, bad grind.

I think the magnesiums, soft metal ,grind like crazy.....

I'm sure the metal properties make a difference too. 

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #6101 on: August 19, 2019, 04:39:29 PM »
Can anyone confirm that soaking forged baseplates in acetone can get the paint off? Just ordered those Venture Ti’s and I’m not feeling the gold baseplates

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #6102 on: August 19, 2019, 05:01:44 PM »
Can anyone confirm that soaking forged baseplates in acetone can get the paint off? Just ordered those Venture Ti’s and I’m not feeling the gold baseplates
Nah, it doesn't work. oven cleaner will, but the metal will look all fucked up and blotchy.

Reese

« Reply #6103 on: August 19, 2019, 05:25:56 PM »
Chemicals used to remove anodizing can be pretty toxic, be careful

Sandblasting is also an option

* No ace cups =/= indy cups
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:05:50 PM by Reese »

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6104 on: August 19, 2019, 05:45:51 PM »
Will Ace riptide pivot cups fit in Indys? Asking for a friend.

nosneb

• Rep: 88
« Reply #6105 on: August 19, 2019, 07:34:59 PM »
Crooked grind front side and backside. Boom raw hangers

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #6106 on: August 19, 2019, 07:40:47 PM »
Will, not sure how extremely you want to take the paint off but ive done this

Expand Quote
Does anyone here have experience on taking the paint off some trucks?

[close]

I last did this on Saturday, I’ve tried a few things
Soaked in acetone and scraping
Sanding it through completly

I’ve found the answer, took me a half hour and there’s not a spot left

Aerosol autobody paint remover
, the one I got is made by Rustoleum and it bubbles the paint off which makes for picking it off easy

Diocletian

« Reply #6107 on: August 19, 2019, 08:51:14 PM »
I was asking/researching about this awhile back and that “aircraft stripper” stuff seems to be the ultimate method. Just spray it all over generously, then watch the paint start to bubble, once it’s finished doing its job you just scrape and wash it all off and you’re done.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6108 on: August 19, 2019, 09:48:13 PM »
Anodizing and paint are two different things and something that removes paint will probably not remove anodizing. This was discussed in detail (maybe in this topic?) a few years ago. Better make sure if they're painted or anodized first.

AssFea

• Rep: 3
« Reply #6109 on: August 19, 2019, 09:51:52 PM »
Anodizing and paint are two different things and something that removes paint will probably not remove anodizing. This was discussed in detail (maybe in this topic?) a few years ago. Better make sure if they're painted or anodized first.

Yeah. I don’t think paint remover will have negative fx on anodized trucks or any fx at all

Complements4U

• Rep: 397
« Reply #6110 on: August 19, 2019, 09:57:55 PM »
You need thermal pressure to crack anodized coating. It's a surface oxidation of the metal, that is a dyed coating way more resistant than paint. You can sand it off with enough determination or a sand blaster.

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #6111 on: August 19, 2019, 10:18:39 PM »
Try using oven cleaner (lye or caustic soda?) to remove anodizing, look it up for details b4 you try though. One or the other def works

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #6112 on: August 19, 2019, 11:50:47 PM »
You could also skate them as is, because it literally does not matter which color your baseplate is and doing anything about it is a waste of time, but what do I know?

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #6113 on: August 20, 2019, 09:06:18 AM »
You could also skate them as is, because it literally does not matter which color your baseplate is and doing anything about it is a waste of time, but what do I know?

I don’t mind getting a little crafty to get my setup to look how I want to. I prefer raw trucks or at least a black baseplate but the venture Titaniums only come in gold as of now

That being said, a lot of this shit sounds like more than I’m willing to do right now . I’ll probably skate them as is for a while til I feel like being extra one day or can nab some other baseplates

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #6114 on: August 20, 2019, 06:51:44 PM »
I’ve noticed people not liking the stage 11 as compared to the stage 10...can anyone enlighten me as to the difference?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6115 on: August 20, 2019, 06:53:18 PM »
I’ve noticed people not liking the stage 11 as compared to the stage 10...can anyone enlighten me as to the difference?

Stage 10 were lower, tighter turning radius and had less kingpin clearance.  I prefer 11

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #6116 on: August 20, 2019, 07:09:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Stage 10 were lower, tighter turning radius and had less kingpin clearance.  I prefer 11
tighter?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6117 on: August 20, 2019, 07:13:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s all an adjustment to the times

Back during stage 10 days most people rode tighter trucks, *MOST* so it wasn’t a big deal how little they turned, then the era of sizing up to 8” decks and bigger and bigger boards need bigger more fluid trucks that can take the leverage

So every truck went from low, small and tight to wide, tall and loose

I can’t get with the times, I max out at 8.25 trucks at medium tight at best

I prefer 8” medium tight on an 8” deck, any bigger and I gotta go kook and have the titanium magnesium setup with hollow axle and kingpin
yes

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #6118 on: August 21, 2019, 12:14:45 AM »
I skate 8.3-8.5 boards w/ 44’s on them these days, but i have my old setup at work to skate some flatground every now and then, 8” board with 139’s and while flipping it feels alot easier I miss that extra space and stability of my current set up. Not going back 😁
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6119 on: August 21, 2019, 02:47:22 AM »
I skate 8.3-8.5 boards w/ 44’s on them these days, but i have my old setup at work to skate some flatground every now and then, 8” board with 139’s and while flipping it feels alot easier I miss that extra space and stability of my current set up. Not going back 😁

I liked the extra space for a moment when I had my young legs but I’m getting less skate time on the daily so I need me that smaller lighter setup

Plus for me the smaller setup I eventually get used to it to the point I only trust doing risky stuff with it cause I can rely on it not to ghost pop or flip all weird, I just gotta commit
yes