Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 839506 times)

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • Instagram
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6090 on: August 14, 2019, 11:33:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Are 9Ē thunders coming out or did I dream that?
[close]

Sadly they donít sell the Indy low bushings anymore 90a to be specific
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/genuine-parts-low-conical-90a-cushions-medium-orange-independent

ballintoohard

• Rep: -32
« Reply #6091 on: August 14, 2019, 12:27:15 PM »
Oh and update with Ventures and Bones Medium- the turn is definitely a bit deeper from the top washer not digging into the truck, however, they feel firmer than the stock bushings. I might switch back and use the Bones top washer.

Also, I run the trucks decently loose, but when I carve sharply sometimes, a front wheel will slightly lift off the ground on the front truck. Kinda weird.

Beeker

• Rep: 9
« Reply #6092 on: August 14, 2019, 12:36:49 PM »
I've never tried Krux trucks. Please help a brotha out.. sell me (or don't?) on Krux. Using the big 3 as comparisons, as that's my usual suspects (albeit lately, I'm more Venture vs Thunder). Only other trucks I've tried in my years were Tracker Ultralights in 1987, Royals in 99 or '00, and Tensors for like a week in 2002 or something.

Krux turn like:
a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

Krux weight is similar to:
a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

Krux heights are similar to: (they have highs and lows? differences?)
a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

Krux grind like:
a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

Krux rating overall 1-10:

55mm height, great grind, perfect wheelbase, average weight (for a standard truck). If you like a sharp turn you will not like Krux. They turn fine, but it's not sharp. It's not responsive either. They dont have the same lean as a lot of trucks and if you switch from a turny truck you will litterally be falling over for the first few minutes. That's why a lot of people hate then with a passion. I think for some people the lack of response actually benefits them greatly.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -78
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6093 on: August 14, 2019, 05:12:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Are 9Ē thunders coming out or did I dream that?
[close]

Sadly they donít sell the Indy low bushings anymore 90a to be specific
[close]
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/genuine-parts-low-conical-90a-cushions-medium-orange-independent

Dang the source is the only place now I guess

I just know since they stopped making the lows they donít really have the 90a low bushings on the major internet shops like skate warehouse and tactics
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 196
« Reply #6094 on: August 14, 2019, 08:18:32 PM »
Expand Quote
I've never tried Krux trucks. Please help a brotha out.. sell me (or don't?) on Krux. Using the big 3 as comparisons, as that's my usual suspects (albeit lately, I'm more Venture vs Thunder). Only other trucks I've tried in my years were Tracker Ultralights in 1987, Royals in 99 or '00, and Tensors for like a week in 2002 or something.

Krux turn like:
a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

Krux grind like:
a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

Krux rating overall 1-10:
[close]

Krux turn like:
b) Venture

b) Venture
c) Thunder

a) Indy(for the highs)
c) Thunder(for the lows but maybe a 1mm taller than thunder 147)

Krux grind like:
other) sorta like aces maybe

Krux rating overall 1-10: a solid 7 for me

They turn okay very similar to a venture but better and they respond almost like a thunder and feel sorta like a less surfy Indy, like if Indyís weíre trying to be thunder is how I would describe it

In control and responsive but still trying to be surfy,Carvy, turny

I use to ride the downlow forever back in the day when small decks ruled but then I tried the new krux revamped with the new bushings and styles for this era of skating demand and idk, they arenít as stable as old version

They hated being that truck that didnít turn I guess so they started doing this soft bushing that donít turn and updating the hangar shape so itís got more clearance but I feel like theyíre not as good as the old version and thatís why Louie still rides his old krux 3.5 tall

If you ride your trucks medium to tight youíll be okay, if you ride or prefer loose trucks maybe even medium loose I wouldnít recommend

They just lean when you wanna crave leaving you in that stuck position of doom, if you ride medium to tight like me theyíre really decent trucks almost as good as thunder with response

They do this thing so when you land awkward and try to save yourself by leaning and turning/riding it out but you only get the forgiveness of leaning sloppily with no turn/ride out

Like what those loose trucks guys do, they just land the trick even if itís sloppy but some how loose trucks saves lives and they ride it out landing hard on one side of the board and leaning and turning that way and re stabilizing after getting balanced, Indyís, aces, and I think even thunders let you have that loose truck forgiveness

Krux tried to implement that in the truck and your life will not be saved for they donít turn that hard and deep

Thanks rob, lots of info. I'd like to try some to at least get the curiosity out of myself. Lately I flip flop between Venture and Thunder

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #6095 on: August 14, 2019, 10:30:35 PM »
I'm not sure how you guys can discuss Krux without mentioning wind resistance and colourways....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -78
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6096 on: August 14, 2019, 10:59:11 PM »
I'm not sure how you guys can discuss Krux without mentioning wind resistance and colourways....

Ahahaha trust me the hole helps with kick flips due to the Air Force that goes through it and creates a aero affect that holds it centered in the air for the rotation

Colorways...is stick to the raw

I have the gold downlow and the orange raw tall

The Raws just keep it classy
yes

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #6097 on: August 15, 2019, 04:23:02 AM »

dont forget the bottle opener

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #6098 on: August 15, 2019, 06:03:43 AM »
For those guys who mix bushings, do you normally put the harder one on the bottom or top?
Thinking about mixing the bones hard and mediums to try and get a bit more stability.

Going to throw them in some tensor ATG

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Far out man.
« Reply #6099 on: August 15, 2019, 06:45:09 AM »
For Independents I always did Bones hard bottoms / Bones medium tops. Would take like a week to break in but then was perfect for a year and a half. I didn't really have any real rhyme or reason to that combo aside from "I usually blow out the bottom Bones after a while, so if it's harder maybe I won't."

Right now I'm skating a set of Ventures and blew through the bushing really fast. Out of necessity I threw in the alternate Bones combo since I had them laying around, so it's medium bottom // hard top. I think I've read that this is actually the more common way to do it. I don't know how I feel about it yet, but (off topic) TBH Ventures are still on "trial mode" for me right now anyway... just trying to tinker and see if they're for me in the long haul. I'm already kinda over the fact I have to tinker at all though because the whole idea from moving away from Independent was to find a truck that just feels good stock, because I've realized that skating a truck stock is truly the only way to avoid the madness. You roll with punches instead of concocting quick fixes for everything haha.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #6100 on: August 15, 2019, 06:51:20 AM »
For those guys who mix bushings, do you normally put the harder one on the bottom or top?
Thinking about mixing the bones hard and mediums to try and get a bit more stability.

hard bottom soft top. i ran some generic hard bushing on the bottom and bones blues on the top, worked out pretty good would still turn super good but most of the time it'd stop before wheelbite on account of the hard bushing.

Crap

• Rep: 26
« Reply #6101 on: August 15, 2019, 07:01:21 AM »

I go hard bottom/soft top (97a Deluxe Supercush bottom, broken in stock Venture top). I'm a bigger guy and ride medium-tight on Venture 5.6's, and had similar setups on Venture 5.2's and Thunder 147's before this. Maybe this is in my head, but I feel the softer top gives quick response, while the hard bottom helps with stability on deeper turns. I tried soft bottom/hard top once, and it felt absolutely disgusting, but I've heard of people doing that.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #6102 on: August 15, 2019, 07:19:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I go hard bottom/soft top (97a Deluxe Supercush bottom, broken in stock Venture top). I'm a bigger guy and ride medium-tight on Venture 5.6's, and had similar setups on Venture 5.2's and Thunder 147's before this. Maybe this is in my head, but I feel the softer top gives quick response, while the hard bottom helps with stability on deeper turns. I tried soft bottom/hard top once, and it felt absolutely disgusting, but I've heard of people doing that.

Sorry, Iíve done goofed. Disregard everything I said before editing this. Aces have a softer bottom and harder top and they work beautifully IMO. I guess it all comes down to preference and a million other things.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:30:54 AM by Roisto »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #6103 on: August 15, 2019, 07:32:02 AM »
Thanks for the responses, Iíll try the hards on the bottom first.

Beeker

• Rep: 9
« Reply #6104 on: August 15, 2019, 07:40:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Aces have a harder bottom and softer top and Ace bushings are arguably the best bushings around so maybe there is a point to be running a harder bottom bushing and a softer top on other trucks too.

I think you have this the wrong way around. Pretty sure Ace is softer bottom and harder top, which is the combo I have always preferred in most my trucks. I run Ace bushings in Krux and it's fantastic.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #6105 on: August 15, 2019, 08:55:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Aces have a harder bottom and softer top and Ace bushings are arguably the best bushings around so maybe there is a point to be running a harder bottom bushing and a softer top on other trucks too.

While no basis in fact, having tried the ACE bushings in Thunder and Venture, I feel as if that duro combination excels in the opposite camp's geo: ACE/Indy (I rand them in MLs as well and they felt great). They did not work like magic in Ventures despite being the same size and shape bushings.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #6106 on: August 15, 2019, 11:28:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think you have this the wrong way around. Pretty sure Ace is softer bottom and harder top, which is the combo I have always preferred in most my trucks. I run Ace bushings in Krux and it's fantastic.

Shit. Youíre right. Better go fix my reply, so it wonít cause any more confusion. 😬

1xz5h

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6107 on: August 16, 2019, 06:33:53 PM »
Settin up a couple decks with Indy Stage 11s and Bones hard bushings. Pretty sure (based on the bushings' instructions) the consensus is to keep on the top washer only. My question's which washer? The thin plated Bones one or the top/stock Indy washer?

Appreciate any feedback!

Edit: This vid looks like he uses the stock top washer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8uFQt-qnb8
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:09:08 PM by 1xz5h »

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6108 on: August 16, 2019, 10:32:53 PM »
Settin up a couple decks with Indy Stage 11s and Bones hard bushings. Pretty sure (based on the bushings' instructions) the consensus is to keep on the top washer only. My question's which washer? The thin plated Bones one or the top/stock Indy washer?

Appreciate any feedback!

Edit: This vid looks like he uses the stock top washer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8uFQt-qnb8

bones washer gives you more room for adjustment.

jtrpma

• Rep: 35
  • PMA
« Reply #6109 on: August 17, 2019, 08:56:38 AM »
I found out that bones without bottom washer lower the truck and you loose turn ability and because of the hard plastic inserts you donít need a top washer not to fuck up/blow out your top bushings.

So I put the washer underneath to keep the same height and run no washer on the top. Feels best for bones in Indy for me.
PMA

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #6110 on: August 17, 2019, 10:28:27 AM »

1xz5h

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6111 on: August 17, 2019, 12:59:15 PM »
I found out that bones without bottom washer lower the truck and you loose turn ability and because of the hard plastic inserts you donít need a top washer not to fuck up/blow out your top bushings.

So I put the washer underneath to keep the same height and run no washer on the top. Feels best for bones in Indy for me.

Thanks for the advice man. Just switched in the bottom for the top.

Idk

• Rep: 23
« Reply #6112 on: August 17, 2019, 04:29:43 PM »
Big moves in truck world

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1RV_bnhULu/
Sincere question, why are people leaving independent? Bobby Worrest in the beginning of the year Alex Olson now Grosso. Is it really all about China? Isnít ace made in China?

FrozenIndustries

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
« Reply #6113 on: August 17, 2019, 04:34:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for the advice man. Just switched in the bottom for the top.

Back this as well, run it in my 159s. Top washer on the bottom, bones flat washer on top, kingpin nut flush. Best turn I've ever had.

ballintoohard

• Rep: -32
« Reply #6114 on: August 17, 2019, 04:36:05 PM »
Olson has been on Ace for a while. Probably because Ace is owned by people that skate and not the NHS conglomerate of toy store looking products.

I still like the way my 149s ride on the DLX full se shape although Thunders arenít too far off, but I canít stick with another combo.

In other news Cromer is now included in the Venture edits.

palelight

• Rep: 65
« Reply #6115 on: August 17, 2019, 04:45:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Big moves in truck world

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1RV_bnhULu/
[close]
Sincere question, why are people leaving independent? Bobby Worrest in the beginning of the year Alex Olson now Grosso. Is it really all about China? Isnít ace made in China?

Nah, you'd be hard pressed to find some mass exodus from a company (in Skateboarding at least), based solely industrial protectionism. Half of Crail didn't quit just because the wood went to shit (the mass quitting happened later). As someone pointed out in UWT there's some thinly veiled digs at current management in Grosso's post.

Though I'm mostly talking out of my ass, if you follow the threads of people quitting Indy, and if they comment about it (i.e Andy Roy talking about them being a 'toy' company now, owned by Mattel or something? AR is incoherent as shit), there's likely something going on behind the scenes with the owners, tm's etc. that's driving the shift to other companies. The fact they moved production to China is likely a byproduct of unpopular management rather than the reason itself. And it seems like there's been friction since Tershay left way back, so... who the fuck knows. I'd love some insider tell-all.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6116 on: August 17, 2019, 05:00:51 PM »

Maybe I'm wrong, but in my mind Independent was an American symbol, like Harley Davidson. Now that they are 100% produced outside the US, I suppose that people feel betrayed ? Ace never played that game, their strategy is basically "we make the type of trucks that we love to ride, take it or leave it".

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6117 on: August 17, 2019, 09:50:38 PM »
apparently, Joey Tershy wanted to make a similarly designed truck while he still worked with Indy but they resisted.
Ace are just making a truck people wanted and want. Many older diehards had a hard time abandoning Indy but its getting easier to distance oneself for reasons mentioned above.

Now if Ace could retool their sizes....

I AM

• Rep: -12
« Reply #6118 on: August 17, 2019, 10:11:28 PM »
Now if Ace could retool their sizes....
...and use better metals so they don't break as easily and use washers that actually fit the bushings etc...

also, i don't think the sizes should be completely changed, it's gonna be confusing as fuck and the current 66 size is apparently gonna disappear so they should really just add an 8.5 hanger to the lineup and stop fucking around so much and just stick to the current design while perfecting the smaller details.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #6119 on: August 17, 2019, 11:04:27 PM »
I think Indy never paid, or paid much.  Skaters didn't care though because they were making money elsewhere....Now they aren't. 

I was hoping Grosso was going to get on gullwing....