Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1226913 times)

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6120 on: August 21, 2019, 02:53:21 AM »
Expand Quote
I skate 8.3-8.5 boards w/ 44’s on them these days, but i have my old setup at work to skate some flatground every now and then, 8” board with 139’s and while flipping it feels alot easier I miss that extra space and stability of my current set up. Not going back 😁
[close]

I liked the extra space for a moment when I had my young legs but I’m getting less skate time on the daily so I need me that smaller lighter setup

Plus for me the smaller setup I eventually get used to it to the point I only trust doing risky stuff with it cause I can rely on it not to ghost pop or flip all weird, I just gotta commit
I’m 36 now and skate maybe 2-3 times a week, I tend to lose my touch super fast so that bigger setup suits for me better, more room for error as I skate more tranny that flatground these days😄 to each their own I guess, homie is in his mid 40’s and just went back to 7.75” and when I try his board it feels super tiny and insecure, feel like I’m stepping of all the time 😅

edit. My ollie has been shit from the start so weight doesn’t matter nothing to me, I ollie knee high with 7.5” and 10” and that’s fine for me😂😂

2nd edit. I think I found that 8” flipping easier b/c I’ve learned all my flips on smaller boards, with those bigger boards I need to force my feet on a bit different position than how I put them naturally on board.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 03:01:40 AM by Krooked antihero »
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6121 on: August 22, 2019, 08:52:48 AM »
Kind of scare to jump back into this thread but...

I'm in need of some 8.75" axle trucks.... while I wait for Ace to make one... I'd usually go Thunder 151.

I know Ventures are going to be VERY different but tell me why I should or shouldn't try these new 6.1s for a wider street set up with some tranny thrown in...

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #6122 on: August 22, 2019, 08:57:46 AM »
Kind of scare to jump back into this thread but...

I'm in need of some 8.75" axle trucks.... while I wait for Ace to make one... I'd usually go Thunder 151.

I know Ventures are going to be VERY different but tell me why I should or shouldn't try these new 6.1s for a wider street set up with some tranny thrown in...
They slide so buttery. Like so buttery. (For some weird reason my flip tricks didn’t work on the lows so I’m trying the highs).

ballintoohard

« Reply #6123 on: August 22, 2019, 09:28:44 AM »
Well, I just couldn't do Ventures. Tried on multiple decks new and old and just never felt good. IDC what anyone says, they have the least turn of anything I have tried (Ace, Indy, Thunder, Venture).  149 Hollows and 148 Thunders just always feel right even if the Thunders sometimes stretch the wheelbase out a tad.  Aftermarket 90A bushings in the Indy's, stock/boiled in the Thunders

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6124 on: August 22, 2019, 10:01:23 AM »
Yeah the Ventures are cool but I'm not totally sold.

They turn... I think saying they don't is just explaining them wrong. The issue for me is the moments where carving into tricks really feels weird. I'm not a transition skater, I mean simple things like the swerve into a nollie 180 crooks or something. It's strange because although I'm not even having a particularly bad time on them - I know I won't skate them forever. I also know that once it's NOT 95 degrees outside, aforementioned inherent snugness could increase tenfold.

It's a double edge sword though because while I'm complaining about that feeling, the stability is also their strong suit. Certain tricks definitely feel better on that more linear path. I tweaked them a bit to get them way looser and TBH they just kind of lose their main strength as a stable truck by turning into a subpar loose truck. A Venture just can't, and shouldn't, be an Indy... it'll pale in comparison.

All that being said, I've decided that while I'm a man without a country I'd pick up a set of Thunders to try that. I imagine them as a middle ground between Indy & Venture which is what I think I'm looking for maybe? I got the 148 Team Hollows.... so they're closer to the Indy Forged Height (which I like). I set them up but other than standing on them at home I haven't gotten to skate them yet. We'll see how it goes... I usually hear good things about Thunder here, and it's definitely a brand I wouldn't be bummed on skating longterm if they ended up feeling good.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6125 on: August 22, 2019, 10:56:39 AM »
Solid description then and one that leaves me to believe they aren't for me. Going to have to use some old 159s until Ace do an 8.75"... hopefully that's still coming...

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #6126 on: August 22, 2019, 11:26:17 AM »

They turn... I think saying they don't is just explaining them wrong. The issue for me is the moments where carving into tricks really feels weird. I'm not a transition skater, I mean simple things like the swerve into a nollie 180 crooks or something. It's strange because although I'm not even having a particularly bad time on them - I know I won't skate them forever. I also know that once it's NOT 95 degrees outside, aforementioned inherent snugness could increase tenfold.

It's a double edge sword though because while I'm complaining about that feeling, the stability is also their strong suit. Certain tricks definitely feel better on that more linear path. I tweaked them a bit to get them way looser and TBH they just kind of lose their main strength as a stable truck by turning into a subpar loose truck. A Venture just can't, and shouldn't, be an Indy... it'll pale in comparison.

All that being said, I've decided that while I'm a man without a country I'd pick up a set of Thunders to try that. I imagine them as a middle ground between Indy & Venture which is what I think I'm looking for maybe? I got the 148 Team Hollows.... so they're closer to the Indy Forged Height (which I like). I set them up but other than standing on them at home I haven't gotten to skate them yet. We'll see how it goes... I usually hear good things about Thunder here, and it's definitely a brand I wouldn't be bummed on skating longterm if they ended up feeling good.

I've skated Indy, Venture, Ace, and Thunder. For me personally Thunders are the best truck. The only negative is they don't slide as fast as the others since your wheels make contact. Some wax removes that problem though and they turn fantastic while being stable and grinding great.

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Far out man.
« Reply #6127 on: August 22, 2019, 11:43:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've skated Indy, Venture, Ace, and Thunder. For me personally Thunders are the best truck. The only negative is they don't slide as fast as the others since your wheels make contact. Some wax removes that problem though and they turn fantastic while being stable and grinding great.

Stoked, that sounds pretty much exactly what I’m looking for!

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #6128 on: August 22, 2019, 12:51:53 PM »
After eliminating Indy, I am currently going with thunder, with venture on standby. I've done my few break in sessions, need to tighten them up a smidge. Giving me anxiety even thinking about it. My left (push foot) ankle is a mess, so I need,some stability back there

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Far out man.
« Reply #6129 on: August 22, 2019, 01:50:58 PM »
After eliminating Indy, I am currently going with thunder, with venture on standby. I've done my few break in sessions, need to tighten them up a smidge. Giving me anxiety even thinking about it. My left (push foot) ankle is a mess, so I need,some stability back there

Haha we're in the same boat only I did Venture first and have Thunder on standby.  8)

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #6130 on: August 22, 2019, 06:51:21 PM »
It's close. Mentally I flip flop every 5 minutes. They're both great

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #6131 on: August 22, 2019, 09:00:40 PM »
Madness is getting really real. I miss the surf of 55s but being on 5.8 V-lights my tricks feel easier and ollies feel higher from the weight difference. My legs also don’t feel fatigued from kicking around the bigger board for over an hour (see:weak ankles) I’m currently trying to find that perfect surf that the stock bushings had before they blew out. I think bones mediums are gonna work after trying bones hards and super Cush. They added stability but also took away some of the quicker carve/surf.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #6132 on: August 23, 2019, 05:32:49 AM »
Madness is getting really real. I miss the surf of 55s but being on 5.8 V-lights my tricks feel easier and ollies feel higher from the weight difference. My legs also don’t feel fatigued from kicking around the bigger board for over an hour (see:weak ankles) I’m currently trying to find that perfect surf that the stock bushings had before they blew out. I think bones mediums are gonna work after trying bones hards and super Cush. They added stability but also took away some of the quicker carve/surf.
Honestly, DLX should sell aftermarket bushings just the same as stock ones. Venture bushing are really good.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6133 on: August 23, 2019, 08:05:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Honestly, DLX should sell aftermarket bushings just the same as stock ones. Venture bushing are really good.

Totally agree.  they do for thunder but it's really annoying that they don't for venture

drinny

• Rep: 22

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6135 on: August 23, 2019, 10:48:53 PM »

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6136 on: August 24, 2019, 07:09:17 AM »

Are the purple stock ones really 98A? 😮 No wonder they felt a lil stiff.

I'm pretty sure the stock ones are 90.  @tangar got the green 94 and they're harder than stock

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6137 on: August 24, 2019, 09:08:41 AM »
OK, I'm jumping into some truck insanity.

Was skating my Brown Bomber Ah 8.8 14.25 WB with Ace 44s and it was starting to feel a little soft and losing its 'pop.' I was thinking, a few more sessions and then its time for a freshie. Instead, I threw on some old Thunder 151s. Holy shit, the deck seemed to come back alive... Probably due to where the axle sits in relation to the tail... anyway, pretty damn interesting....

Now, where did that rumor start that Thunder might be doing some wider (9"?) trucks?

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #6138 on: August 24, 2019, 09:16:21 AM »
9.125” axle Thunders are indeed coming soon. I am very stoked to give them a go.
SPB!

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6139 on: August 24, 2019, 10:42:57 AM »
9.125” axle Thunders are indeed coming soon. I am very stoked to give them a go.

Cheers for the update!

1xz5h

• Rep: -7
« Reply #6140 on: August 24, 2019, 05:12:52 PM »
Smallest board width you'd pair with 149 Indys?

After some trial/error, my sweet spot's an 8.125 x 31.5 w/ a 14.25 wb. Anyone ever rock 149s on an 8.125?

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6141 on: August 24, 2019, 05:19:50 PM »

After some trial/error, my sweet spot's an 8.125 x 31.5 w/ a 14.25 wb. Anyone ever rock 149s on an 8.125?

Did that once before I sized up to 8.38's. I didn't care for it, but it also could have been dissatisfaction with the 8.125." I would think 144's would be perfect for that size deck.   

1xz5h

• Rep: -7
« Reply #6142 on: August 24, 2019, 05:21:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did that once before I sized up to 8.38's. I didn't care for it, but it also could have been dissatisfaction with the 8.125." I would think 144's would be perfect for that size deck.

Word, thx

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #6143 on: August 24, 2019, 05:37:41 PM »
Will the big air skaters switch to the new thunders with the Indy 215s drying up?

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #6144 on: August 24, 2019, 07:16:54 PM »
I ride 8.5 trucks with 8 decks and it’s fine for me

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #6145 on: August 25, 2019, 01:31:06 AM »
Swapped from some ACE 44's to Tensor ATG all terrain geo trucks. Honestly these are the best trucks I've ridden. They don't turn on a dime quite as well as ace but they're way nicer on center when you setup for a trick with narrow footing like hardlfip. Also the magnesium grinds down and gets dings slightly easier, but I don't mind it since you can get stuff like a good crook groove easily. If it becomes a problem I'll probably opt for the regular aluminum version. The turning is great while still being stable, the kingpin clearance is solid and the baseplate prevents the wheels from getting in the way when you do slides. It ticks all the boxes for me, didn't see much about it so figured I'd let people know.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #6146 on: August 25, 2019, 09:44:17 AM »
Swapped from some ACE 44's to Tensor ATG all terrain geo trucks. Honestly these are the best trucks I've ridden. They don't turn on a dime quite as well as ace but they're way nicer on center when you setup for a trick with narrow footing like hardlfip. Also the magnesium grinds down and gets dings slightly easier, but I don't mind it since you can get stuff like a good crook groove easily. If it becomes a problem I'll probably opt for the regular aluminum version. The turning is great while still being stable, the kingpin clearance is solid and the baseplate prevents the wheels from getting in the way when you do slides. It ticks all the boxes for me, didn't see much about it so figured I'd let people know.

Great trucks, but despite what people say about them I hate the way they grind. It feels like you are scraping the wax off as you go so they slow down. Switched back to my Krux and my grinds feel SO much better, it just feels like I'm skating a boat anchor. That's another reason I switched back is I don't want to get to used to the weight because I feel like when it gets windy again it's gonna piss me off. If Krux were just a little lighter I'd be set.

Diocletian

« Reply #6147 on: August 25, 2019, 01:53:55 PM »

Dear God, how many weeks?

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6148 on: August 25, 2019, 02:14:33 PM »
Its never ending... I wonder if these wider Thunders will be any higher?

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #6149 on: August 25, 2019, 03:24:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Great trucks, but despite what people say about them I hate the way they grind. It feels like you are scraping the wax off as you go so they slow down. Switched back to my Krux and my grinds feel SO much better, it just feels like I'm skating a boat anchor. That's another reason I switched back is I don't want to get to used to the weight because I feel like when it gets windy again it's gonna piss me off. If Krux were just a little lighter I'd be set.

Huh interesting, I find the mag tensors grind basically the same as normal trucks so far, with a bit more give on crooks just cause I can form that groove faster. I tried krux but hated the turn personally, the reverse kingpin was great though. You could try the non-magnesium/aluminum ones, that's probably what I'll do if I find it grinds down too fast. I've never noticed weight with trucks, I got the 2nd widest ones though so maybe that's why.