Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1224115 times)

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6150 on: August 25, 2019, 05:21:02 PM »
Its never ending... I wonder if these wider Thunders will be any higher?

You would think. I can't imagine they'll do the forged plates with 9" hangers, but you never know. The whole idea of a 9" truck with Thunder's twitchy ass turning sounds insane to me, but also kind of fun.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6151 on: August 25, 2019, 05:49:07 PM »
I love Thunder 151s so these could be insane but wider trucks can often mean easier wheel bite, so hopefully they've tweaked things for a bit for more clearance. Either that or I'll need 1/4" risers....

sneakpeekmeek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #6152 on: August 25, 2019, 06:32:21 PM »
I love Thunder 151s so these could be insane but wider trucks can often mean easier wheel bite, so hopefully they've tweaked things for a bit for more clearance. Either that or I'll need 1/4" risers....

I think it's the contrary.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6153 on: August 25, 2019, 07:11:02 PM »
Think about the Law of moments. The further from the pivot point, the easier to move the axle closer to the deck.

Wider truck/ deck combo requires risers more often as a result.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6154 on: August 25, 2019, 07:27:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it's the contrary.

Definitely find wider trucks wheelbite earlier.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6155 on: August 25, 2019, 10:38:09 PM »
Seems dumb that thunder would ditch the high but drop a 9" truck....

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6156 on: August 25, 2019, 11:14:39 PM »

Did they drop the highs completely or just call them "teams" now? Teams are like 52.5mm which are technically a mid, were the highs taller than that?

Boognish

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6157 on: August 25, 2019, 11:35:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Swapped from some ACE 44's to Tensor ATG all terrain geo trucks. Honestly these are the best trucks I've ridden. They don't turn on a dime quite as well as ace but they're way nicer on center when you setup for a trick with narrow footing like hardlfip. Also the magnesium grinds down and gets dings slightly easier, but I don't mind it since you can get stuff like a good crook groove easily. If it becomes a problem I'll probably opt for the regular aluminum version. The turning is great while still being stable, the kingpin clearance is solid and the baseplate prevents the wheels from getting in the way when you do slides. It ticks all the boxes for me, didn't see much about it so figured I'd let people know.
[close]

Great trucks, but despite what people say about them I hate the way they grind. It feels like you are scraping the wax off as you go so they slow down. Switched back to my Krux and my grinds feel SO much better, it just feels like I'm skating a boat anchor. That's another reason I switched back is I don't want to get to used to the weight because I feel like when it gets windy again it's gonna piss me off. If Krux were just a little lighter I'd be set.
[close]

Huh interesting, I find the mag tensors grind basically the same as normal trucks so far, with a bit more give on crooks just cause I can form that groove faster. I tried krux but hated the turn personally, the reverse kingpin was great though. You could try the non-magnesium/aluminum ones, that's probably what I'll do if I find it grinds down too fast. I've never noticed weight with trucks, I got the 2nd widest ones though so maybe that's why.
I’ve been riding the mag tensor atgs for a couple months too, and also dig them. I’m one of the midlife crisis’ers who returned to skating after a decade plus hiatus, so thought I could use whatever lightness advantage I could get to offset the limiting factor of a 20 year old mind being trapped in a 40’s body. I rode Indy’s in my former life, and it’s hard to tell if some of the idiosyncrasies of getting used to these trucks are that or just general sketchiness of being green again.
To me they grind way fast, but I’m mainly skating on metal coping in bowls. At first it was a bit jarring as there was so little resistance, but like anything you adapt.
My only complaint was that I thought their weird recessed top bushing design was making the lean a little unpredictable, so i put in some thunder 90a bushings (swapped the pivot cups as well as the thunder set included some that felt nicer than the stock tensors). I preferred it, but again that could be the placebo effect of justifying the unnecessary expense of urethane. Anyone else been experimenting with different bushings in tensors?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #6158 on: August 26, 2019, 03:56:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did they drop the highs completely or just call them "teams" now? Teams are like 52.5mm which are technically a mid, were the highs taller than that?
High and low are 145 and 147 only, 149 and newer 151 and 148 has always just been thunder's version of high.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6159 on: August 26, 2019, 07:24:52 AM »
Gotcha. That makes more sense...

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #6160 on: August 26, 2019, 06:51:04 PM »
Does anyone know the durometer of the bushings in stock thunder 148s?
I bought some super cush 90a bushings and would like to see how they compare, if they are different at all.

Diocletian

« Reply #6161 on: August 26, 2019, 07:21:41 PM »
Supercush won’t fit Thunder’s I think Steve originally discovered that.

Not A Damn Chance

• Banned from Slam
« Reply #6162 on: August 26, 2019, 07:40:43 PM »
Fuck really? These are the ones I got, they are made by thunder.

https://www.tactics.com/thunder/deluxe-supercush-bushing-tube-2-truck-set/orange

Festivus

• Rep: 12
  • For the rest of us
« Reply #6163 on: August 26, 2019, 07:51:50 PM »
Fuck really? These are the ones I got, they are made by thunder.

https://www.tactics.com/thunder/deluxe-supercush-bushing-tube-2-truck-set/orange

That's an error on Tactics end. those are Deluxe bushings, not thunder. Same distro but definitely not made for those trucks.

Not A Damn Chance

• Banned from Slam
« Reply #6164 on: August 26, 2019, 08:01:00 PM »
Ahhhh fuck, well thanks both for clarifying. I’ll save them for my next pair of trucks.

I thought I was ready for this thread, i’m going to quickly exit.  :-X

Diocletian

« Reply #6165 on: August 26, 2019, 08:02:48 PM »
I’ve read great things about those Thunder aftermarkets, and their “rebuild kit” ones. Just try those if the stock ones feel too soft.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #6166 on: August 26, 2019, 09:47:58 PM »
Say what u will about longboarders, but they definitely have their shit figured out when it comes to all things bushings...

These seem to be identically shaped to thunder bushings:
https://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=37037

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6167 on: August 27, 2019, 01:33:56 AM »
Say what u will about longboarders, but they definitely have their shit figured out when it comes to all things bushings...

Seems legit, probably give it a try

On a side note, does anyone here use risers/shock pads still?

I’m asking for me

I used to ride them all the time because it helps give a somewhat softer feeling pop and actually helps absorb some impact from lands

But what’s your guys experience from pads to no pads

Some say just truck to deck has a better crispier pop and feel but my friend strictly rides his risers and I use to always too but just like flipping wheel graphics in I dropped using risers and recently I got back to them and trying them out and it’s familiar, like I said before it gives the board a softer feeling pop

What really just gets to me is doing slides, cause I like doing nose slides but idk if I’ll have the same baseplate contact if I get back into them, so what’s your slap opinions?
yes

JollyOli

• Rep: 5
  • old as dirt
« Reply #6168 on: August 27, 2019, 02:17:35 AM »

What really just gets to me is doing slides, cause I like doing nose slides but idk if I’ll have the same baseplate contact if I get back into them, so what’s your slap opinions?
[/quote]

I used to use shock pads and didn't notice too much loss of pop but they did sometime catch and bite in on slides. Currently got 1/8th risers on thunders due to using a krux DL kingpin so need them for clearance. I don't notice any negative issues, the pads are getting a touch worn at the slide contact point but that can only be a good thing. (Thunder 147 Ti hi, 53mm f4s)
Pea Suit.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6169 on: August 27, 2019, 08:28:20 AM »
I skated riser/shock pads a bit.  Namely to make room for some inverted kingpin and I got wheel bite a lot.  I don't think they affected the sound of your board, mine arguably would have made the pop worse because they were the rubber style ones that would deaden any noise.  No rattle=no noise= no pop.  I guess the angle changes pop like that spencer nuzzi clip w. Paul Schmitt

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6170 on: August 27, 2019, 08:33:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m asking for me

I used to ride them all the time because it helps give a somewhat softer feeling pop and actually helps absorb some impact from lands

Some say just truck to deck has a better crispier pop and feel but my friend strictly rides his risers and I use to always too but just like flipping wheel graphics in I dropped using risers and recently I got back to them and trying them out and it’s familiar, like I said before it gives the board a softer feeling pop

I had some correspondence with Venom a while back for this very idea, they don't make anything that matches up with Thunders, they're all too tall.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6171 on: August 27, 2019, 10:14:09 AM »

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #6172 on: August 27, 2019, 01:04:10 PM »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #6173 on: August 27, 2019, 04:38:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m asking for me

Currently running a 1/8 Indy shock pad (hard rubber, against the board) and a 1/8 Indy riser (hard plastic, against the truck). I recently got a set of 60mm wheels and the shock pads were the only other risers I had, so I just put them in there and have been running with it.

It definitely hasn't had a negative effect on my noseslides. The plastic one sticks out a hair further and I still get that nice baseplate contact feeling. I've heard of people cutting a bit off the end of the shock pad, but I haven't found it necessary. The pop still feels fine to me too.

The only weird thing is how much higher it is than I am used to (55mm w/ either a 1/8 or no risers), which oddly makes the wheelbase feel shorter than it is...

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6174 on: August 27, 2019, 05:22:50 PM »
As far as risers go, get the ones with the oval shaped holes so you can move their position, eliminating nose and tail slide catches... Bones make some.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #6175 on: August 27, 2019, 05:36:05 PM »
There’s a huge ad at the top of my screen for 8.75” Venture highs. Sounds nice. I’ve been riding indy’s for a while but I have a couple setups and wouldn’t mind trying another truck. It’s between venture and ace.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6176 on: August 27, 2019, 07:02:09 PM »

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #6177 on: August 27, 2019, 07:30:31 PM »
Expand Quote

When will they come out with an 8.125 mid...

I was gonna say anything low over 8," don't know why it's such a no-no.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6178 on: August 27, 2019, 07:37:37 PM »
Wheel bite. Really trucks could get higher as they get wider...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6179 on: August 27, 2019, 07:39:34 PM »
All I'm asking for is for trucks to get more medium....