Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1226071 times)

anon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6810 on: November 15, 2019, 09:10:52 AM »
Christ you guys twisted my arm, I'm getting my 2nd pair of Thunder 147 Team Lights. Pulled an old Traffic board from storage (7.75 x 31.3 x 14WB) and hopefully it pairs nicely with the Thunders.
if you're concerned about the width alone, it's fine. i skate 8" trucks with 7.75s. don't know about the pop and "manual point" that mr. degros always talks about. of course that also depends on the properties of the deck, which is too much to worry about

CBP

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #6811 on: November 15, 2019, 06:33:17 PM »
Anybody thrown a downlow kingpin on their thunders?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6812 on: November 15, 2019, 06:44:35 PM »
Anybody thrown a downlow kingpin on their thunders?

Yes, as have multiple people [in this thread].

Works best with team plates and some JB Weld Steel Stick/similar putty.

CBP

• Rep: 26
« Reply #6813 on: November 15, 2019, 06:51:12 PM »
Gonna check it out thanks.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6814 on: November 15, 2019, 07:45:10 PM »
Gonna check it out thanks.

Note you can use forged plates but the kingpin nut (when reversed) will end up digging into the deck just a bit when you tighten the trucks down, but it never proved to be an issue.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6815 on: November 15, 2019, 11:21:27 PM »
Aren't the kingpins hard to get out? 

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6816 on: November 16, 2019, 12:21:51 AM »
How do you remove a stripped axle nut that just spins and won’t loosen out?
yes

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6817 on: November 16, 2019, 12:49:01 AM »

Before recommending anything too destructive, if the wheel is still on the axle, grab it and pull it towards you with a good amount of force while trying to loosen the nut (vise grips would come in handy in this scenario).

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
« Reply #6818 on: November 16, 2019, 03:48:18 AM »

First thing I'd try is taking a pair of vice grips and pulling on the nut while you spin it like palelight suggested.

If you have a dremel put on a cutting wheel, go most of the way through, then use a flathead screwdriver to break the last little bit so you won't run the risk of cutting all the way through the nut and into the axle. You could also use a hacksaw if you don't have a dremel. I'd avoid using a Sawzall because they tend to be difficult to control, especially with harder metals.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6819 on: November 16, 2019, 11:08:28 AM »
Aren't the kingpins hard to get out?

In forged plates? They can be but here is my foolproof method*:

*none of that oven bullshit
  • Get a hammer
  • Find a 2x4 or section of 2x4 (or something solid) that you can hold onto (give yourself some distance so you don't hit your hand
  • Find a parking block mounted on rebar (most of them are) so that there are holes in the top of the block
  • Place the baseplate and align the kingpin over the hole in the block (kingpin sticking up as normal)
  • Hold the plate down with your hand or foot
  • Place and hold the 2x4 or whatever you found on top of the pin
  • Smack the shit out of it item you placed on the pin, directly over the pin

If you have access to a vice you can sometimes press
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 11:16:18 AM by Xen »

anon

« Reply #6820 on: November 16, 2019, 03:03:36 PM »
i cracked a baseplate doing that. you'd need an apparatus as such

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6821 on: November 16, 2019, 03:29:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This. Definitely cracked a baseplate, more or less in half, trying it with a vice. I even made a crude attempt to offset the angle to account for the kingpin, nope. I thought about machining a seating block like in the pic, when I still had access to a milling machine, but didn't think the juice was worth the squeeze. I'm sure forged plates would tough it out a bit more... maybe.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6822 on: November 16, 2019, 05:37:13 PM »
I've only used a vice once (cast plates) and was successful, perhaps I just got lucky.

Parking block and a hammer!

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #6823 on: November 16, 2019, 05:38:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I make something very similar to this anytime I need to change a kingpin.
Sometimes I make them out of scrap wood but lately I’ve been using cardboard, lots of layers of cardboard

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6824 on: November 16, 2019, 05:48:25 PM »
I've done fine with cast but forged I always thought it was extremely difficult. 

Diocletian

« Reply #6825 on: November 16, 2019, 09:11:53 PM »
Hammering out a kingpin from a cast plate is so easy. Just find a sidewalk crack, or go in the grass. Use your foot with your shoe on, pressing down on the pivot cup side to hold it in place. Then whack the kingpin accurately like 2-3 times decently hard and it comes right out.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6826 on: November 16, 2019, 11:17:25 PM »
What wheelbase should I be looking at to match a pair of Thunder 147 and an 8" board.

I setup a 7.75 x 31.3 x 14 board and pair it with my Thunder 147 and the feeling was just off. I was jumping way higher than the board and struggled to get pop from my board.

I'm contemplating trying a pair of Indy 139 Stage 10 or risers with the Thunder 147.

Ideally I'm looking for a lower setup, at least 8" in width.

Guess what I'm asking is whether there is an ideal axle to axle wheelbase.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6827 on: November 16, 2019, 11:53:17 PM »
What wheelbase should I be looking at to match a pair of Thunder 147 and an 8" board.

I setup a 7.75 x 31.3 x 14 board and pair it with my Thunder 147 and the feeling was just off. I was jumping way higher than the board and struggled to get pop from my board.

I'm contemplating trying a pair of Indy 139 Stage 10 or risers with the Thunder 147.

If you have a standard wheelbase you're comfortable with, I'd try and match that with whatever setup you go with. But it's never cut and paste unfortunately. i.e if you usually ride Indy's on a 14.25" wheelbase, Thunders on a 14.125" wheelbase wont feel exactly the same, even if the axles on both of those setups would more or less line up. The pop and balance point are going to be different. As for an ideal, there's charts out there to match to your height (although I think that's overblown personally, other people swear by it).

Indy started making lows again, no? Might just be 129's though.   

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6828 on: November 17, 2019, 12:07:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you have a standard wheelbase you're comfortable with, I'd try and match that with whatever setup you go with. But it's never cut and paste unfortunately. i.e if you usually ride Indy's on a 14.25" wheelbase, Thunders on a 14.125" wheelbase wont feel exactly the same, even if the axles on both of those setups would more or less line up. The pop and balance point are going to be different. As for an ideal, there's charts out there to match to your height (although I think that's overblown personally, other people swear by it).

Indy started making lows again, no? Might just be 129's though.

Try my best not to feed my gear madness anymore than I already do!

Might try the Thunder 147 with some risers first before trying the 148 on them. Also contemplating how much truck height affect the pop feel. Lower definitely feel better on ledges and slides.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #6829 on: November 17, 2019, 04:34:15 AM »
Man, who do I have to have sex with around here to get you guys to realize!...

https://islandwatersports.com/blog/skate-101-6-myths-about-your-skateboard-with-professor-schmitt/

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6830 on: November 17, 2019, 08:46:28 AM »
Man, who do I have to have sex with around here to get you guys to realize!...

https://islandwatersports.com/blog/skate-101-6-myths-about-your-skateboard-with-professor-schmitt/

Yup, goes back to truck/deck combo, or Indy vs Thunder

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6831 on: November 17, 2019, 11:00:50 PM »
Riptides or ace/(khiro makes ace/theeves pivot cups right?)

I recently replaced my old thunder stock pivot cups with ace after market ones and damn!!

What an amazing upgrade

Still has the geometry and response/rebound of the thunder but now smoother and free

Not so stiff basically
yes

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

« Reply #6832 on: November 18, 2019, 01:01:00 PM »
https://destructotrucks.com/pages/customer-service

here's their size guide and height break down. The d2 height seems pretty perfect but the kingpin clearance on the d1 is what got me. Let me know what you think about your D2's though. Might want to try those too.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm currently on the Destructo 5.75 D1 Team Lite (I skate an 8.25).

I've never seen more king pin clearance on a truck in my life.

This is my first set outside of an Independent in about 15 years and I have to say I'm pretty blown away. I skate looser trucks so I had to swap the bushings out to something a little softer but that's pretty much any truck I feel like these days.

It has a magnesium baseplate and a hollow kingpin and feels super light but also sturdy unlike other gimmicky lightweight trucks like tensor mags or something that feel like a toys r us truck.

I know they're kind of the underdog in the indy/thunder dominated truck world but I'll be honest the truck is amazing and their logo isn't identified with bigoted hate groups so that's a plus as well.

the D1 does sit a little higher than the D2 but the D2 doesn't have the kingpin clearance that the D1 does.

Also I've emailed back and forth with them and they're really responsive and even hooked it up with a discount code.

Ordered them online and to my surprise had a bunch of stickers and a free t-shirt show up with the trucks.

Might be a customer for life at this point.

They have my vote.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Hello

I’m back from the Bmx life, sorry guys.

Anyways destructos I wouldn’t waste time with unless your really down to try

They didn’t have any special turn feel or pop feel

They just felt like your run of the mill mid 2000’s truck that had stiff as butts bushings that need to be broken in to finally turn but it’s gonna take a lot

I rode them stock without the small top washer and they turned ok, like if you put medium hard cylinder bushing in indys

Pop was nothing to write home about, just popped okay. Not awkward like old tensor 10’s or a venture low, sorta like a thunder pop mixed with Indy

But not good, just okay.

Overall my run with the destructo d1 mid/standard id say they were not worth it if you compare them to ace, Indy, thunder and even venture high. Heck even theeves are better I would say

Ill throw in another heck, royals are probably at the same level or better

I might be hating but yah, not worth the price. If they were like $10 cheaper than the big 3 then maybe they’re worth it

If they changed their bushing formula and aluminum grade they could have a decent truck, keep the signature geo because it’s who they are but for now until they make some revisions idk how certain riders are doing destructo
[close]

Thanks for the feedback dude, welcome back to having balls. Have you tried the D2? I was looking at the D2 mid lite, D1 is higher like Indy which is cool but when I want to ride a high truck I have an assortment of Indys and Ventures for that. The D2 is closer to the Thunder/Fury height which seems to be my ideal pop height. As for bushings you of all people should know I have an extensive selection so if the stock ones suck I'm sure I can find something that works. I am a little upset that they don't do the "bones licensed" bushings anymore because I always wanted a black bones medium with a red cap purely for aesthetic purposes. I got a single set of destructo bushings randomly thrown in on an ebay order a while back they seemed fine. A little hard, but that's fine with me.

And whoever commented on DLX customer support - they're fucking amazing. Seriously incredible. I emailed them last week to ask if there was a way I could buy a single Thunder to replace one I lost and they said they don't sell them that way so they'll just send me one. Not replacing a broken or defective truck, just helping me out because I'm fucking dumb. That's so cool that not only do they make some of the best products on the market (hands down the best wheels) but they also care enough about skating that they're willing to do whatever it takes to get some random dipshit rolling again. I'm not going to claim I'll settle down and only ride Thunder/Venture from now on but that definitely inspired some newfound brand loyalty in me.
[close]
[close]

The d2 might be the right destructos with the urethane formula they have

The shape of the bushing for the d2 is probably best at that duro too

All I can say is my customer service experience with destructo wasn’t as well as deluxe, I gotta fill out a form and send my defective truck back paying for the shipping my self after buying some defective truck just to see if they’re gonna send me a new truck back to replace the bad one

And that’s if they deem it by guideline of warranty exchanges
[close]

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I'm going to go with the D2 just based on them seeming to be slightly closer to Thunders in height/bushing shape (and probably in handling too I assume). They've got a 30% off Veterans day discount which I think is pretty rad since I'm a vet, it was still working as of today but I'm not going to order them until tomorrow at the earliest. From the sounds of things, even if it does stop working I could probably email them and get them to honor it anyways if I wanted to.

As for the returns - I know it's probably tough to swallow as a consumer but thats kind of the reality of supporting a smaller company. They probably just don't have the budget or margins to be as generous as deluxe is - I mean they've got pretty much the undisputed king of wheel brands, two of the top 3 truck brands, and 3 board companies that you can find in damn near every shop so they've got far more margin for error financially (I'd love to see what their actual market share is vs NHS). It sucks paying for return shipping and them having the power to just say "no" but I think its important to remember that that's largely the rule and DLX is the exception.

doomhand

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6833 on: November 18, 2019, 01:18:45 PM »
I also posted this in the big boards thread - but figured I would try here as well - I hope that is not against the rules. 

I have one of the New Deal reissue Ed Templeton boards. The rear is about 8.25” from my measurements. I’m thinking of getting some Thunder 148’s. I already know the front is gonna magic carpet quite a bit. My question is if I want to run 58mm wheels. Should I get narrower trucks? Or will the 148’s be ok (for the rear without underhang)?

I also saw this deck with 8.5" trucks and what seemed rather big wheels and now I am even more confused.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6834 on: November 18, 2019, 03:36:39 PM »
I also posted this in the big boards thread - but figured I would try here as well - I hope that is not against the rules. 

I have one of the New Deal reissue Ed Templeton boards. The rear is about 8.25” from my measurements. I’m thinking of getting some Thunder 148’s. I already know the front is gonna magic carpet quite a bit. My question is if I want to run 58mm wheels. Should I get narrower trucks? Or will the 148’s be ok (for the rear without underhang)?

I also saw this deck with 8.5" trucks and what seemed rather big wheels and now I am even more confused.
I would get 149, specially if you want to size up board size in the future.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6835 on: November 18, 2019, 09:09:56 PM »
If you're gonna set it up to keep, 149. If you're gonna switch it up...148.

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #6836 on: November 19, 2019, 09:04:55 AM »

any one have any feed back about film trucks ? they look good quality to me.

anon

« Reply #6837 on: November 19, 2019, 09:49:00 AM »

where can you find these in the U.S.?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #6838 on: November 19, 2019, 10:32:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
they look like royals but better built if that makes sense.

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #6839 on: November 19, 2019, 10:44:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
they look like royals but better built if that makes sense.
that is my exact first impression