Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1219887 times)

Xtal

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2015, 03:42:39 PM »
Threw the stock bushings with both washers back in my thunder 147s and they feel waaaaaay better now. Luckily I've also decided white bushings look the best. Kingpin bolt finger tightened and then one full turn with the tool. Also got my ace 44's today, look/feel real nice.

Congrats on the Ace's. Beautiful aren't they? I recommend just skating them how they are stock. Don't understand why people that aren't obese are switching out the bushings, they're very good quality.

Xtal

« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2015, 03:45:26 PM »
Back on indy 149s with the 88a conical bushings. They really feel like shit next to my worn in thunder 151s. The timing on ollies is great and there is less wheelbite issues but the turn is so sluggish... I've got to stop alternating between truck brands and just commit to one...

Ace's will give you that Thunder turn but even better, and an even smoother grind than Indy's. Sorry, I talk about Ace too much on here but only because they're that good.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 03:47:10 PM by Xtal »

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2015, 03:52:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Threw the stock bushings with both washers back in my thunder 147s and they feel waaaaaay better now. Luckily I've also decided white bushings look the best. Kingpin bolt finger tightened and then one full turn with the tool. Also got my ace 44's today, look/feel real nice.
[close]

Congrats on the Ace's. Beautiful aren't they? I recommend just skating them how they are stock. Don't understand why people that aren't obese are switching out the bushings, they're very good quality.

Yeah dawg keeping em fully stock!

N.L.

« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2015, 03:53:23 PM »
I'm tempted by Aces but two things turn me off. 1) Made in China 2) the sizing... 44s = too narrow / 55s = too wide for my tastes... I'm sure I could make it work but shit... Thunder 151s... better get another set soon as mine are down to axle...

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2015, 04:07:37 PM »
Expand Quote
I've used bones bushings on thunder 149s and 151s with bottom and top washers, worked perfectly fine.
[close]

Maybe because you used a bottom washer? I could barely get the bones to fit on regular 149 hi's. Didn't use a bottom washer but I did use a top and within less than a week the bushing was all deformed and it definitely was not a defect. Thunder trucks are great trucks, but Bones ain't a good idea.

it works fine but in my experience thunders with bones makes the pivot cups blow out waaayy faster than using the stock thunder bushings and both washers.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Xtal

« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2015, 04:18:48 PM »
I'm tempted by Aces but two things turn me off. 1) Made in China 2) the sizing... 44s = too narrow / 55s = too wide for my tastes... I'm sure I could make it work but shit... Thunder 151s... better get another set soon as mine are down to axle...

I feel you on #1. These days no matter what I buy I try and seek out USA made. But even Indy now only makes their standard truck hangers in USA. Every other part I'm pretty sure comes from China. I would say the same goes for most other truck companies. I know China usually means bad quality but in Ace's case, they are way better quality than USA made Indy's. When looking at a set of Indy's next to a set of Aces, you can just tell. And even after the whole bend issue, he's listened to all the feedback and redesigned it because he actually cares to make a quality truck. It's core through and through.

And I feel you on the sizing. I only skate 8.5" decks and 55's would be too wide. The 44 axle looks damn near even with an 8.5 board, it's just the hanger that's not as wide, which could be good or bad depending on how you're skating. I know people have used two washers on the inside to make everything flush, but I don't care that much. As long as it's not wider than my board, I'm good.

Thunder isn't a bad choice at all, but Ace can provide you with an even better ride with minimal to no wheelbite because they turn so damn good without having to use the extra force that usually results in the bite.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 04:21:20 PM by Xtal »

sports

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2015, 06:09:54 PM »

Expand Quote
So even if the kingpins were the same material, hollow would still be stronger, correct?
[close]
Not necessarily, if you have 2 cylinders of equal weight and diameter the hollow one would be stronger, the variables in length can distort this and then the material used is going to be a factor. It's something that requires testing and can be subject to various differentiating factors but overall I'd still say that hollow kingpins are less likely to snap than solids.

not that anyone actually cares, but thought i'd give some input:
For two rods with the same outside diameter (like the standardized OD of truck axles) and the same material (meaning same young's modulus) the hollow rod will have a lower moment of inertia and section modulus than the solid rod. This translates to a higher stress and more deflection with the hollow rod than the solid one if both have the same applied load. If the stress is greater than the yield stress of the material (independent of the axle being solid or hollow) than your going to bend or break your axle.

Some misconceptions you may be making in saying that the hollow axle is "stronger." Weight has nothing to do with strength, its only a result of density and volume. If you have a hollow rod and a solid rod of the same material that weigh the same and are the same length, than the hollow rod will have to be a larger diameter (to make up for the material missing inside). As the diameter increases, the stresses and deflections decrease exponentially. But increasing diameter is not possible since the axle OD is standardized.
So you could make a hollow axle stronger than a solid axle of the same material and equal length but you would have to increase the diameter of the axle.

Moral of the story if you don't want to read above shit: hollow axles in trucks are more likely to break than solid ones

some equations: http://www.atcpublications.com/Sample_pages_from_FDG.pdf
kook me while yur at it

Xtal

« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2015, 06:19:47 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
So even if the kingpins were the same material, hollow would still be stronger, correct?
[close]
Not necessarily, if you have 2 cylinders of equal weight and diameter the hollow one would be stronger, the variables in length can distort this and then the material used is going to be a factor. It's something that requires testing and can be subject to various differentiating factors but overall I'd still say that hollow kingpins are less likely to snap than solids.
[close]

not that anyone actually cares, but thought i'd give some input:
For two rods with the same outside diameter (like the standardized OD of truck axles) and the same material (meaning same young's modulus) the hollow rod will have a lower moment of inertia and section modulus than the solid rod. This translates to a higher stress and more deflection with the hollow rod than the solid one if both have the same applied load. If the stress is greater than the yield stress of the material (independent of the axle being solid or hollow) than your going to bend or break your axle.

Some misconceptions you may be making in saying that the hollow axle is "stronger." Weight has nothing to do with strength, its only a result of density and volume. If you have a hollow rod and a solid rod of the same material that weigh the same and are the same length, than the hollow rod will have to be a larger diameter (to make up for the material missing inside). As the diameter increases, the stresses and deflections decrease exponentially. But increasing diameter is not possible since the axle OD is standardized.
So you could make a hollow axle stronger than a solid axle of the same material and equal length but you would have to increase the diameter of the axle.

Moral of the story if you don't want to read above shit: hollow axles in trucks are more likely to break than solid ones

some equations: http://www.atcpublications.com/Sample_pages_from_FDG.pdf
kook me while yur at it

Info much appreciated dude.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »
damn, son. droppin' science. I would totally gnar that post if I could.

but I never have and I don't think I ever will break an axle, hollow or regular.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2015, 08:52:57 PM »
Back on indy 149s with the 88a conical bushings. They really feel like shit next to my worn in thunder 151s. The timing on ollies is great and there is less wheelbite issues but the turn is so sluggish... I've got to stop alternating between truck brands and just commit to one...

I had similar experiences with those indy red 88's. As soon as I'd take them out to skate they would feel really agile and would turn quick right away, but after awhile, deeper into the session it seemed like it would seize up and the turning felt more sluggish. Then again, its been cold out lately when this has happened, so I figured that had something to do with it.     

obZen

• Rep: 7
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2015, 10:16:23 PM »
For the last 10 years now I just buy a set of Thunder team trucks and tighten them about a turn and a half, keep everything stock. Only change I've made in that time I that I sized up to 149's since I'm riding 8.3" decks these days. Thunder bushings have gotten better over the last 5 years too. Quick turn, not too low, perfect weight. Back them forever.

Xtal

« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2015, 04:31:15 AM »
For the last 10 years now I just buy a set of Thunder team trucks and tighten them about a turn and a half, keep everything stock. Only change I've made in that time I that I sized up to 149's since I'm riding 8.3" decks these days. Thunder bushings have gotten better over the last 5 years too. Quick turn, not too low, perfect weight. Back them forever.

The trucks themselves are great, but the bushings have always and still are garbage. The clear ones that come stock on regular 149 Hi's ripped and crapped out within a month on me multiple times.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2015, 06:34:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The trucks themselves are great, but the bushings have always and still are garbage. The clear ones that come stock on regular 149 Hi's ripped and crapped out within a month on me multiple times.

the white ones that come stock are the best. i get the aftermarket thunder ones and there great.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Xtal

« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2015, 07:05:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

the white ones that come stock are the best. i get the aftermarket thunder ones and there great.

The white ones must come stock on different models. I find it odd how truck companies have good stock ones on some models but crappy ones on others.

obZen

• Rep: 7
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2015, 05:32:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Could be the case. They respond super well, and I haven't had any blow out on me in my last three pairs. I dont skate big shit though. Ledges, flat bars, smaller stairs and gaps. Pretty much everything below 8-10 stairs. I'm sure I'd have a much bigger issue if I were doing anything massive. Mine usually are the stock clear bushings too. I might try some of the aftermarket ones as I think something slightly harder would be better for my fat ass.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 934
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2016, 12:26:01 PM »
149 Hollow thunder hangers
team plates for height
Krux downlow hollow kingpin
soft khiro pivot cups
indy 88a conical bushings

The turn takes a bit to get used to in tranny (I'm usually an ACE or Indy guy for bowls)

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2016, 01:54:42 PM »
149 Hollow thunder hangers
team plates for height
Krux downlow hollow kingpin
soft khiro pivot cups
indy 88a conical bushings

The turn takes a bit to get used to in tranny (I'm usually an ACE or Indy guy for bowls)

You should put a team plate in the back with the forged plate in front, like a hot rod. It'll help with pop............
you never know about pre-cum 

N.L.

« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2016, 06:44:38 PM »

I think this might be a cold weather thing. Temps were in the 30s today, wind chill in the teens and my trucks wouldn't turn for shit.... Anyone else notice their bushings significantly hardening up in cold weather?

Randozzi

« Reply #108 on: January 01, 2016, 06:56:25 PM »
Oh yeah.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #109 on: January 01, 2016, 06:57:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think this might be a cold weather thing. Temps were in the 30s today, wind chill in the teens and my trucks wouldn't turn for shit.... Anyone else notice their bushings significantly hardening up in cold weather?
Oh yes, I'm very well acquainted with this, best solution to still be able to turn is take out your bottom washers, and let your front truck wobble a bit, bushings seem like they also shrink in the cold also, so as much as your back trucks stiffens up, your front will have more shrink wobble creating an equilibrium of sorts

N.L.

« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2016, 07:07:25 PM »
just took out my indy conical 88as and put in some thrashed bones mediums with no washers. its wobbly and will likely give me wheelbite but a man needs to turn...

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2016, 07:25:54 PM »
just took out my indy conical 88as and put in some thrashed bones mediums with no washers. its wobbly and will likely give me wheelbite but a man needs to turn...
Just keep in mind that they'll get more wobbly the colder it is, but also more stiff at the same time, maybe bring a tool out if you can to re-adjust until you find the sweet spot

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -313
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2016, 01:56:49 AM »
This has probably been covered already, but I'm thinking of trying Thunder again, just need to know if Thunder 147s are longer than Indy 139s?
Im assuming yes? Or is the 147 the Thunder version of Indy 139s? Thanks Pals.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 02:14:37 AM by Suit Up! »

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2016, 03:04:15 AM »
This has probably been covered already, but I'm thinking of trying Thunder again, just need to know if Thunder 147s are longer than Indy 139s?
Im assuming yes? Or is the 147 the Thunder version of Indy 139s? Thanks Pals.

Exact same width my dude

swagsurfer

• Rep: -4
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2016, 09:44:56 PM »
i got some bones medium bushings in some venture lows. what i do is take off the kingpin nut on both and twist it slightly so its on the last thread and then i give it 5-6 complete 360 rotations so that way the torque is about even on both sides. i can't stand having a truck that's looser than the other.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2016, 09:47:27 PM »
Took the top bushing off my front truck and honestly it feels amazing. I have a hard bones bushing and it's easier to turn but still feels pretty stable. I think it might actually even help my manuals on that truck.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

swagsurfer

• Rep: -4
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2016, 10:20:36 PM »
Took the top bushing off my front truck and honestly it feels amazing. I have a hard bones bushing and it's easier to turn but still feels pretty stable. I think it might actually even help my manuals on that truck.

on some daewon shit?

ZEBRA

« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2016, 10:23:42 PM »
Just bought some aftermarket Indy Soft bushings. The red ones. Love them. Only bushing I can ride. I'm a big guy and I ride medium to loose trucks. Anything harder crumbles.

What thinking about trying the super soft Indy bushings. They're white. Didn't even know they made those. White bushings would be a lot easier on the eyes.

Anybody ever had the white ones??

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2016, 11:14:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

on some daewon shit?
Yeah but probably tighter lol
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2016, 11:27:16 PM »
Anyone ever try 2 bottom bones bushing's on Ace Trucks? Regular Set Up makes the kingpin stick out by 3-4 threads. I even tried putting a stock top bushing and Bone's Bottom bushing and it still sticks out. I just wanna tighten it so the the washers and bushings are secure. I know everyone praises the Stock Ace bushings but them things mush out too quick.

Also, has anyone tried using Indy pivot cups on Ace? mines just blew out.