Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221377 times)

Kneesles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9300 on: November 02, 2020, 03:43:45 PM »
Any tip to get your trucks to stop leaning/curving towards one side? I’m regular and my board wants to go to the left, whenever I am trying backside tail slides it’s the worst.
Rotate the top bushing of your front truck 90 degrees clockwise and the bottom 90 degrees counter clockwise. Do the opposite for the back truck. If its still turning freely rotate both of the pivot cups 180 degrees.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9301 on: November 02, 2020, 05:30:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Any tip to get your trucks to stop leaning/curving towards one side? I’m regular and my board wants to go to the left, whenever I am trying backside tail slides it’s the worst.
[close]
Rotate the top bushing of your front truck 90 degrees clockwise and the bottom 90 degrees counter clockwise. Do the opposite for the back truck. If its still turning freely rotate both of the pivot cups 180 degrees.

Totally agree.  It is almost always all in the bushings, so being regular and heavy heel landings mean the bushings compress on the heel side, so the board turns left.

Often mark a single line down the bushings so you know what position they have been in and after rotating see the difference in the trucks turning, or staying straight.

Bushings that don't bounce right back are more likely to have this issue, but also check to see that the trucks are sitting straight on the deck, the deck is not warped and even the hanger is sitting square on the baseplate, because all those things can impact the truck turn as well.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 840
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9302 on: November 02, 2020, 06:20:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've googled but not found anything, so hoping wisdom here can help.

which bushing, top or bottom, would have more impact on reducing wheel bite on thunders?

I am thinking about putting a super hard bushing in either the top or bottom and have a softer one in the other position.

I've currently got hard bushings, but I'm about 95kg, so that's probably equivalent to a medium on most other lighter skaters and my trucks are about medium tight.

[close]

Softer bottom/hard top turny with quick rebound/snap to center

Hard bottom/soft top is weird you get stability from the hard bottom but a bit of squish on the turn (and no snap back to center).
[close]

Just put a 96 cylinder bottom and 92 top on my indies pretty stoked for the stability. May put a 96 on top too. I worry about losing pinch. If I do.   I’m 6 1’ over well 200lbs.

After thought: I may just put the 96 top on the back truck only
gonna try the same thing with my ventures when i get back home. curious to see if it can beat out my preferred ace bottom bones hard top combo.

at couple inches taller and hovering around 200 pounds, i dont think pinch is anything to worry about as long as theres an attempt made. would be more of an issue at say 140lbs with the harder duros.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #9303 on: November 03, 2020, 04:59:04 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that Thunder baseplates have been retooled to accommodate an inverted kingpin or at least the old style kingpin if necessary?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9304 on: November 03, 2020, 02:45:13 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that Thunder baseplates have been retooled to accommodate an inverted kingpin or at least the old style kingpin if necessary?

Has anyone even seen a new drop of thunders out in the wild? Insta says there are some new Ishod's on the way but just the same old same old.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9305 on: November 03, 2020, 03:51:30 PM »

I just checked the newest set of 149s I have in stock and although they have a rectangular area where the fixed kingpin is, I am not sure it would accommodate a hex head, but I will sit an old kingpin in the gap a bit later to see if it would work.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9306 on: November 03, 2020, 04:20:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just checked the newest set of 149s I have in stock and although they have a rectangular area where the fixed kingpin is, I am not sure it would accommodate a hex head, but I will sit an old kingpin in the gap a bit later to see if it would work.

Sounds like the old plates, which do accommodate a bolt but won't hold it in place without a little help.

TumKayo

« Reply #9307 on: November 03, 2020, 08:01:35 PM »
I’ve gotten two pairs of Indy stage 11 standards this year, 169s and 215s, that have mismatched baseplates. One baseplate will be 1-2mm longer than the other. Anyone else had this problem?

I don’t notice any effects in performance, in fact they are my favorite trucks alongside my ventures, but it’s still a little annoying for people with ocd. I did however get one pair for 159s that were matched much better, but 1 out of 3 is not good odds.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #9308 on: November 03, 2020, 09:24:39 PM »
I’ve gotten two pairs of Indy stage 11 standards this year, 169s and 215s, that have mismatched baseplates. One baseplate will be 1-2mm longer than the other. Anyone else had this problem?

I don’t notice any effects in performance, in fact they are my favorite trucks alongside my ventures, but it’s still a little annoying for people with ocd. I did however get one pair for 159s that were matched much better, but 1 out of 3 is not good odds.

No one else checks their trucks like that and you shouldn't either.

TumKayo

« Reply #9309 on: November 03, 2020, 10:06:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So it doesn’t matter? That’s kind of why I’m asking this, because I don’t know. I stood those up like that for a picture, I actually measured it too. I just thought it was weird because all my other truck pairs are exactly the same and the Indys have some variation within pairs.

Beeker

« Reply #9310 on: November 03, 2020, 10:16:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

So it doesn’t matter? That’s kind of why I’m asking this, because I don’t know. I stood those up like that for a picture, I actually measured it too. I just thought it was weird because all my other truck pairs are exactly the same and the Indys have some variation within pairs.

It doesn't matter. If you are an extremely advanced skater who needs ultimate precision for the most technical tricks, then it still doesn't really matter.

TumKayo

« Reply #9311 on: November 03, 2020, 10:21:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It doesn't matter. If you are an extremely advanced skater who needs ultimate precision for the most technical tricks, then it still doesn't really matter.

Lol I’m not great. That 1-2mm in a non essential measurement isn’t the sole thing holding me back from being pro???

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #9312 on: November 03, 2020, 10:31:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Lol I’m not great. That 1-2mm in a non essential measurement isn’t the sole thing holding me back from being pro???

I mean, not being salty, but you're trying to measure wrong. The edges on those plates are angled, if they drift to the left a couple mm while you're holding them, the one on the right is gonna look a couple mm shorter. But also, what Beeker said.

mf's on the truck thread have digital callipers and full-on measuring jigs, ya gotta up your game to hang. Kidding. Stick around, feed your madness.

TumKayo

« Reply #9313 on: November 03, 2020, 11:25:15 PM »
Well I must say, they are making their way to being my favorite trucks, so maybe Indy is onto something.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9314 on: November 04, 2020, 07:54:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sounds like the old plates, which do accommodate a bolt but won't hold it in place without a little help.

So there are newer ones that have the option for a hex head kingpin or reverse option so it holds the nut?

I would like to see that.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 08:22:06 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9315 on: November 04, 2020, 08:19:41 AM »

*** talking about the thickness of the baseplate ***

Surprised no one suggested this as a solution, but here goes:

You said you have two sets, both have one baseplate that is taller (* actually meant thicker) than the other?  All baseplates should be exactly the same, which also means no matter what size hanger you have on the baseplate, it will still work the same way, so I would suggest you take the trucks apart, then work out if you have two baseplates that are one height (*thickness) and two that are the other height, keep those as pairs and then put the correct pairs of hangers on the pairs of baseplates.  Swapping bushings is optional, but I know my OCD would set the two sets aside so I keep them with the hangers, including which one was front and which was the back, but that is probably going too far.

Would that solve your issue of mismatched heights of baseplates?

Too much coffee and still being up after 2 am (my time) gives me a certain clarity that I might not have had earlier.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 09:30:36 AM by Mbrimson88 »

TumKayo

« Reply #9316 on: November 04, 2020, 08:43:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You said you have two sets, both have one baseplate that is taller than the other?  All baseplates should be exactly the same, which also means no matter what size hanger you have on the baseplate, it will still work the same way, so I would suggest you take the trucks apart, then work out if you have two baseplates that are one height and two that are the other height, keep those as pairs and then put the correct pairs of hangers on the pairs of baseplates.  Swapping bushings is optional, but I know my OCD would set the two sets aside so I keep them with the hangers, including which one was front and which was the back, but that is probably going too far.

Too much coffee and still being up after 2 am (my time) gives me a certain clarity that I might not have had earlier.

That is my next step. I didn’t know if the baseplates were all the same, was going to make some measurements, but glad to hear they are the same.

Beeker

« Reply #9317 on: November 04, 2020, 08:51:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You said you have two sets, both have one baseplate that is taller than the other?  All baseplates should be exactly the same, which also means no matter what size hanger you have on the baseplate, it will still work the same way, so I would suggest you take the trucks apart, then work out if you have two baseplates that are one height and two that are the other height, keep those as pairs and then put the correct pairs of hangers on the pairs of baseplates.  Swapping bushings is optional, but I know my OCD would set the two sets aside so I keep them with the hangers, including which one was front and which was the back, but that is probably going too far.

I could be wrong, but I think he's talking about the baseplate length, not the height of the trucks. Either way, you guys ar over thinking this way too much. Just don't ever put your trucks like that and you will never know and it will never affect anything.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9318 on: November 04, 2020, 09:26:21 AM »

I could be wrong, but I think he's talking about the baseplate length, not the height of the trucks. Either way, you guys ar over thinking this way too much. Just don't ever put your trucks like that and you will never know and it will never affect anything.

Either earlier in this thread or in another separate thread, he showed that one baseplate was thicker than the other / stood taller on the board than the other, so one was something like 2mm tall (hollow forged baseplate) and the other one was 3 or 4 mm tall (more like standard cast baseplate).

That pic doesn't actually show what old mate was meaning unless you look really closely and see the difference in thickness, but I did notice others seemed to take it that way too, as if the baseplate was a mm longer, not thicker.

Easy and not a worry.

*** I added "thicker" to the other reply, so that should make it easier to understand too ***

TumKayo

« Reply #9319 on: November 04, 2020, 10:49:04 AM »
I actually did mean the length of the baseplate, not the height.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9320 on: November 04, 2020, 04:52:31 PM »
I actually did mean the length of the baseplate, not the height.

And that is why I shouldn't be up and posting at 3 am.

Sorry and carry on.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9321 on: November 04, 2020, 05:15:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Seriously, I couldn't even see how this would fuck up your skating in anyway...hell most people would want more meat on thunder plates provided it was towards the nose or tail ;P

Diocletian

« Reply #9322 on: November 04, 2020, 05:25:30 PM »
What's more concerning are the yellow Indy super hard bushings. Don't you like to turn?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1277
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #9323 on: November 04, 2020, 05:46:33 PM »
Looks like standard ass 90a stock Indy bushings to me
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

sketchyrider

« Reply #9324 on: November 04, 2020, 06:55:16 PM »
on that note i never see anyone rocking aftermarket indy bushings in the wild. i've only seen bones.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #9325 on: November 04, 2020, 07:05:35 PM »
What's more concerning are the yellow Indy super hard bushings. Don't you like to turn?
And this is how Diocletian found out he's colorblind
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 04:07:20 PM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #9326 on: November 04, 2020, 07:47:58 PM »
on that note i never see anyone rocking aftermarket indy bushings in the wild. i've only seen bones.

Is that an easily discernible thing? Early 2010's everyone had Bones in their Indy's for sure, now I mostly see them on Ventures.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9327 on: November 04, 2020, 08:54:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is that an easily discernible thing? Early 2010's everyone had Bones in their Indy's for sure, now I mostly see them on Ventures.

It is, since their color is different than stocks...I've never seen anyone anywhere (if I catch a glimpse of the board) with red/blue/white/yellow bushings in their indys. Hell, I've only ever seen one person riding bones softs in indys; it's either orange or bones meds.

Thunders, you can tell by drop/model which trucks they are based on bushing color...if you care about such things.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #9328 on: November 04, 2020, 09:25:48 PM »
That's a shame because the Indy aftermarket bushings are great. The blue 92 barrel bushings are perfect.

TumKayo

« Reply #9329 on: November 04, 2020, 09:42:25 PM »
I have some aftermarket Indy black bushings actually, but I got them to try to make Ace 66s work for me. That's another story. I can't skate Aces with 54-56mm wheels, not even with 1/4" risers. Ridiculous, because I like how they turn, the finish detail and quality is awesome, but I can't even ride them without crazy bite. Not even close.

No wheelbite on Indys with 1/10" shock pads and 55-56mm cruiser wheels, and good deep turn.