Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 850978 times)

Lurkey and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -127
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9300 on: October 27, 2020, 01:20:23 PM »
Expand Quote
anybody know if theres something u can do to make indys turn more responsive like thunders?

No matter what I do I can't loosen my indy 149s to where they feel like they turn when I want them to. I thought it was just breaking them in but about 2 weeks of daily skating, kingpin nut barely screwed on, still feels too tight.
[close]

Softer bushings and getting conical shaped ones. Maybe even getting new pivot cups but with all that done you may as well get Thunders.

Mbrimson88

• Rep: 21
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #9301 on: October 27, 2020, 04:58:37 PM »
anybody know if theres something u can do to make indys turn more responsive like thunders?

No matter what I do I can't loosen my indy 149s to where they feel like they turn when I want them to. I thought it was just breaking them in but about 2 weeks of daily skating, kingpin nut barely screwed on, still feels too tight.

A FREE fix, just cut down your top bushing, as I showed on the last page, or page 309 and you will have the same trucks that will turn a lot more for you, so you don't have to buy new trucks (which is pretty stupid if there is actually nothing wrong with the existing ones) and they will turn a whole lot better.

Another option if you are not into trying that is to remove the bottom metal washer, which I do not recommend, but I know a lot of kids do it who feel like their trucks are too tight and really makes them a lot looser, also free and also easy to replace the metal washer if you don't like it.

Otherwise get softer bushings, which will allow the trucks to turn more with your weight, which I am guessing is not much.

If you are light, then any truck will be harder to turn with bushings that are not soft or very soft.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.9240
I talk too much.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #9302 on: October 27, 2020, 05:07:24 PM »
I hope this isn't the dumbest question ever but do trucks get lower as you skate them from the bushings getting squished down? I've never thought too much about truck height until the Indy Mids came out. I've always just skated standard height trucks.

Truck height cannot really be changed at all, no matter how much the pivot cups or bushings are compressed, the only thing you can do is lift them higher with risers, so given some trucks are actually a lot higher (Indy standards 55mm) and some a lot lower (down to 50mm or less), consider how much you get wheelbite first, eg lower trucks means more wheelbite so you will not be able to turn half as much on lower trucks as you might on taller ones.

That said, if you get them and they feel too low, you can always put a riser in, so it is not the end of the world.

I talk too much.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #9303 on: October 27, 2020, 05:10:31 PM »
Have never tried any of the "light" trucks but am planning on trying either the indy forged hollows or thunder hollow lights. Any insight on either of these would be appreciated.

FYI I've had both indy standard and thunder team trucks in the past and I like them both. Wouldn't say I'm a purist for either.

Both are good for all round normal but slightly lighter skating, to note the Indy forged hollow is only 53.5mm high, compared to the standard which is 55mm high.  Thunder is 52 or so from measuring a set I have, both do the job well.

I talk too much.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #9304 on: October 27, 2020, 05:17:27 PM »
Just set up my first set of thunders. Have 97du aftermarkets for bushings. Has any one experienced their bushings being super soft at first then hardening up as they break in? For 97du these things are super soft.

Quite a few others have said how soft the "hard" bushings feel when they first put them in, from both the Thunder and Indy after market bushings, and I tend to agree, but one thing you should always do is try to wear them in before tightening them down too much when brand new.  Often a couple of really gentle sessions skating will help this a lot, but if they still feel too squishy, I recall some other bushings which come out a bit harder right from go, whether you can get them or not nowdays, but Lucky kegs and Doh Dohs were the hardest, even some other normal 99 duro bushings still feel pretty turnable straight up, compared to some older worn in bushings that harden up a lot over time.

I talk too much.  Sorry.

ballintoohard

• Rep: -36
« Reply #9305 on: October 27, 2020, 05:49:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Have never tried any of the "light" trucks but am planning on trying either the indy forged hollows or thunder hollow lights. Any insight on either of these would be appreciated.

FYI I've had both indy standard and thunder team trucks in the past and I like them both. Wouldn't say I'm a purist for either.
[close]

Both are good for all round normal but slightly lighter skating, to note the Indy forged hollow is only 53.5mm high, compared to the standard which is 55mm high.  Thunder is 52 or so from measuring a set I have, both do the job well.

Thunder lights with forged baseplate are 50mm. I was on some for about a year. They were cool, but I like the extra height and ended up using risers with them until I snagged some team hollow baseplates. I sorta feel that the weight difference isn't all that much in the end. I notice it when I pick up my board, but that's it.

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -79
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9306 on: October 27, 2020, 07:39:27 PM »
Do any major truck company make trucks higher than 55mm
I知 looking for a 56.5mm or 57mm high truck

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9307 on: October 27, 2020, 08:06:38 PM »

Destructo D1 Mids (56mm) and Squadron 6.0 (58mm)
https://destructotrucks.com/pages/customer-service

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thunder lights with forged baseplate are 50mm. I was on some for about a year. They were cool, but I like the extra height and ended up using risers with them until I snagged some team hollow baseplates. I sorta feel that the weight difference isn't all that much in the end. I notice it when I pick up my board, but that's it.

Height aside, Light / Hollow variants of trucks are felt more acutely on brands that have a heavy "standard" truck. The standard Thunder at 337g is substantially lighter than Venture (357g) and Indy (377g). ie I would be ok to ride a cheaper Thunder (standard / light) but I would spend more for the double hollow versions on Indys or Ventures. 

(he said, riding his Thunder 148 Titanium)

Like Ben Degros said in his Tensor Maglight review, there comes a point of diminishing returns for truck weight. Too light and the board has no "umph" and it feels very limp when you pop. Too heavy and the board struggles against gravity.
Did any of you guys ever notice that if you took off the end "er" from his name, moved the "b" to after the "i" and then added an "l" to the "b" that you just moved, you'd spell "Bible"?

backinaction

• Rep: 57
« Reply #9308 on: October 27, 2020, 08:43:12 PM »

Not "major" in the skate world - but Paris Street Truck is 57.1.   

This guy says the height is mostly in the baseplate, so I'm not sure what advantage you have over just putting a riser on.

http://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.com/2013/12/paris-street-trucks-169.html

Mbrimson88

• Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #9309 on: October 27, 2020, 08:58:29 PM »

Yes, and I always forget they go up in height as they get wider too. I should have said:

Thunder in 149 is 52 or so from measuring a set I have, both do the job well.

*** I always had to put a thin riser under the older (stage 9 and 10) Indy and any and all Thunders too, but I am using 56mm wheels for the most part and still ride fairly loose trucks.

I talk too much.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #9310 on: October 27, 2020, 09:05:26 PM »

Any truck can go up to whatever height you want it with risers, eg I used to use the thinnest rubber risers on my normal boards until the 55mm Indys came out, then 1/8 on the normal 60mm wheel boards, then 1/4 on the cruisers with big soft wheels and the 1/2 inch high are really good on the mega big soft wheel boards and come standard on Z Flex old skool completes, which is a touch too high for my liking but you get used to it for cruiser setups.  Just get deck bolts to match the size of the risers and you are set.

It is better than getting wheelbite and ending up on the ground.
I talk too much.  Sorry.

CrimsonGhost

• Rep: 14
« Reply #9311 on: October 27, 2020, 10:36:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Destructo D1 Mids (56mm) and Squadron 6.0 (58mm)
https://destructotrucks.com/pages/customer-service

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Height aside, Light / Hollow variants of trucks are felt more acutely on brands that have a heavy "standard" truck. The standard Thunder at 337g is substantially lighter than Venture (357g) and Indy (377g). ie I would be ok to ride a cheaper Thunder (standard / light) but I would spend more for the double hollow versions on Indys or Ventures. 

(he said, riding his Thunder 148 Titanium)

Like Ben Degros said in his Tensor Maglight review, there comes a point of diminishing returns for truck weight. Too light and the board has no "umph" and it feels very limp when you pop. Too heavy and the board struggles against gravity.

Guys thanks for all the insights, alot of info I had no idea about. I'm definitely leaning more into the Thunder hollow lights or lights, I think. Looking for less "umph" tbh, so they seem to be where I should be looking at. Gonna do some Google searching and see what shops have them in stock. Again much appreciated.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9312 on: October 31, 2020, 07:52:58 PM »
Can someone tell me the difference between conical and cylinder bottom bushings? I'm specifically interested in Indy mediums but I assume the principle will apply to any trucks. Is a cylinder bottom bushing more "stable"?

Also, how soft are Indy soft bushings versus Bones yellows (which I personally cannot stand)?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #9313 on: October 31, 2020, 08:58:52 PM »
Can someone tell me the difference between conical and cylinder bottom bushings? I'm specifically interested in Indy mediums but I assume the principle will apply to any trucks. Is a cylinder bottom bushing more "stable"?

Also, how soft are Indy soft bushings versus Bones yellows (which I personally cannot stand)?

I知 also interest in hearing an explanation for bushing shapes, the ones I致e heard started to sound pretty mumbo jumbo, vague at best. 全urfy (fuck that term, hate it).
Why don稚 you like medium bones? I致e had a love/hate/and now like, with those yellow bones. If I was going to swap bushings without breaking the trucks in, like a fuckin lunatic, my default would be yellow bones. The only trucks I really like them in are ventures tho, every other truck I致e tried them with seems better stock.
I feel like conical bushings are a little quicker in turn. Not sure if that痴 true.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 189
  • Spreading the shredding, sharing the Shalom.
« Reply #9314 on: November 01, 2020, 08:48:34 AM »

Brief explainer is that a 澱arrel (or cylinder) shaped bottom bushing has more material in the compression zone, hence provides more resistance in the latter portion of the turn, where as a 田onical bushing allows for a consistent lean-in the whole way across the turn, thus conical bushings tends to lead to more wheel bite due to lack of resistance.
Stack height (including washers) is kinda crucial for maintaining your trucks designed turn, so attempt to replicate your existing stack height if you want an idea of how the trucks were intended to ride, regardless of preferred tightness, or which duro bushies you put in there.
Monkeying w/ trucks is fun, but after nearly 40 years, I知 back to running things stock & just finding the trucks I enjoy in that format (currently Thunders, Indys, & Ace.)

tuesday

• Rep: 14
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #9315 on: November 01, 2020, 08:51:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Brief explainer is that a 澱arrel (or cylinder) shaped bottom bushing has more material in the compression zone, hence provides more resistance in the latter portion of the turn, where as a 田onical bushing allows for a consistent lean-in the whole way across the turn, thus conical bushings tends to lead to more wheel bite due to lack of resistance.
Stack height (including washers) is kinda crucial for maintaining your trucks designed turn, so attempt to replicate your existing stack height if you want an idea of how the trucks were intended to ride, regardless of preferred tightness, or which duro bushies you put in there.
Monkeying w/ trucks is fun, but after nearly 40 years, I知 back to running things stock & just finding the trucks I enjoy in that format (currently Thunders, Indys, & Ace.)

Thanks! That was a really good explanation.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
    • Suciu
« Reply #9316 on: November 01, 2020, 09:07:51 AM »
While I would lose some of the responsiveness of the thunders, do Indy barrel bushings work? First set of thunders and I'm trying to dial them in.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #9317 on: November 01, 2020, 10:17:35 AM »
**********CLICK ME**********

Banned from the room

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
    • Aural Buthcheryers
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9318 on: November 01, 2020, 03:16:09 PM »
While I would lose some of the responsiveness of the thunders, do Indy barrel bushings work? First set of thunders and I'm trying to dial them in.

Nah they won't turn. You need to cut the Indy/bait and tackle to fit thunder
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Banned from the room

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
    • Aural Buthcheryers
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9319 on: November 01, 2020, 03:14:21 PM »

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #9320 on: November 01, 2020, 03:50:19 PM »
Different brands cannot really be compared just on duro / hardness alone, as they feel so different to me.

Bones bushings - 3 Hardnesses: Soft Bushing: 81A, Medium Bushing: 91A, Hard Bushing: 96A

Indy current colours, white very soft 78, red soft 88, orange medium 90, blue medium hard 92, black hard 94 and yellow very hard 96

Thunder aftermarket has the rebuild kits soft red 90, meduim blue 95 and hard black 100, then just the container tube from the current thundertrucks.com showing clear yellow and white both 90, clear blue 94, clear red 97 and neon yellow 100

Also Thunder has different heights of truck depending on size, so for mine in 149, or from 148 up the Indy bushings will fit fine as the Thunder trucks are taller, but the smaller sizes are lower, so will not fit as well.

Stock bushings are said to be around 90 duro but feel way different to the aftermarket bushings of the same number and the different brands have different amounts of squash and rebound too, as well as a significant difference when new to when worn in.

Before you put different bushings in your trucks compare sizes and heights of the bushings, especially the bottom bushing as difference in height will most definitely affect how the truck performs.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 04:04:36 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #9321 on: November 01, 2020, 04:08:04 PM »
In saying all that, I am quite brand specific, so I keep Indy bushings in my Indy trucks and Thunder bushings in my Thunders, but I have had Indy, Thunder, Venture, Ace, and a few other brands and swapped bushings around just to feel out what works and what doesn't work and most combinations still work fine, but there are a few interesting differences with how they turn and bounce back.

I talk too much.  Sorry.

sammyz

« Reply #9322 on: November 01, 2020, 07:26:16 PM »
I've googled but not found anything, so hoping wisdom here can help.

which bushing, top or bottom, would have more impact on reducing wheel bite on thunders?

I am thinking about putting a super hard bushing in either the top or bottom and have a softer one in the other position.

I've currently got hard bushings, but I'm about 95kg, so that's probably equivalent to a medium on most other lighter skaters and my trucks are about medium tight.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #9323 on: November 01, 2020, 08:00:45 PM »

which bushing, top or bottom, would have more impact on reducing wheel bite on thunders?

I am thinking about putting a super hard bushing in either the top or bottom and have a softer one in the other position.

I've currently got hard bushings, but I'm about 95kg, so that's probably equivalent to a medium on most other lighter skaters and my trucks are about medium tight.

Softer bottom/hard top turny with quick rebound/snap to center

Hard bottom/soft top is weird you get stability from the hard bottom but a bit of squish on the turn (and no snap back to center).

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Stuffed Animal Serial Killer
« Reply #9324 on: November 01, 2020, 08:01:46 PM »
I love this thread but I wonder how many marriages it has ruined?

The relationship between man/woman and truck reminds me of the Kids in the Hall episode where the guy goes on vacation, decides to grow a beard, and then becomes overtaken by his beard.

I imagine a SLAP pal in their basement tinkering with pivot cups, hangers, king pins etc., and having a similar situation as what occurs at :42 seconds. "The trucks stay, YOU go."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeX2ZI5KL3E
I like my women the same way I like my personified cups of coffee...black...strong...and proud.

ballintoohard

• Rep: -36
« Reply #9325 on: November 01, 2020, 08:15:00 PM »
There are no difference between 148 and 149 Thunders in terms of height correct?

sammyz

« Reply #9326 on: November 01, 2020, 08:23:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hard bottom/soft top is weird you get stability from the hard bottom but a bit of squish on the turn (and no snap back to center).

awesome thanks, the first one sounds like a good combo. ill try it out tonight.

Mbrimson88

• Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #9327 on: November 02, 2020, 03:05:28 AM »
There are no difference between 148 and 149 Thunders in terms of height correct?

I found this thread which has a lot more info on Thunder truck heights, but I believe them to be the same from 148 up, which is 52.3 mm.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=104383.0
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:20:41 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much.  Sorry.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
    • Suciu
« Reply #9328 on: November 02, 2020, 03:31:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just going to wait for the thunder aftermarkets to break in and harden up. I have a spare set of bait n tackle but I'd prefer to not cut or trim them. I'll use them in my 5.8 ventures eventually.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #9329 on: November 02, 2020, 05:22:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just put a 96 cylinder bottom and 92 top on my indies pretty stoked for the stability. May put a 96 on top too. I worry about losing pinch. If I do.   I知 6 1 over well 200lbs.

After thought: I may just put the 96 top on the back truck only
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 10:48:06 AM by Murge »