Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1219886 times)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2015, 10:03:22 AM »
ive never had a problem with bones med and thunders (no bottom bushing)... in fact, ive found they mellow Thunders'turning out a bit.   
hardly art, hardly starving

perverted super otaku!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2015, 10:12:36 AM »
IMO you definitely do not need bottom washers with Aftermarket Thunder bushings in Thunders, with both I dont even really like them, with just the top I absolutely love them, with risers too mind 

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2015, 10:17:22 AM »
ive never had a problem with bones med and thunders (no bottom bushing)... in fact, ive found they mellow Thunders'turning out a bit.   
How does that work?
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2015, 10:20:26 AM »
he meant washers

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2015, 10:22:13 AM »
hardly art, hardly starving

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2015, 11:31:16 AM »
Expand Quote
I was going to say trucks are what I'm most picky about with my set ups but I realised I'm picky about everything down the the bolts, but I guess that just means I fit in here.

Currently riding thunder 147 high hollows with bones medium bushings. I skate them medium-loose, prefer them looser but kept getting wheelbite every time I landed anything. Was riding Indy hollow 149s before these, with Indy after market medium bushings. Didn't get on with them. I honesty don't see why everyone sucks indys dick so hard. Buying some ace 44's tomorrow, hoping they live up to the hype. Going to keep them stock because I'm tired of tinkering around with shit
[close]

From my experience, Bones bushings don't fit properly in Thunder trucks. I even called DLXSF one day and he said Thunder's geometry and Bones don't mesh well. You need the cylinder aftermarket Indy or Thunder bushings with both the bottom and top washers on Thunders. I stopped riding the Thunder 149 Hi's because they're are slightly lower than Indy Hi's and I got insane wheelbite.

Ace Hi's are about the same height as Thunder Hi's from baseplate to axle, but just the way they're built you can ride super loose and wheelbite is very minimal. They'll feel a bit weird at first when grinding, but you're going to notice how insanely responsive they are to your turns. The new redesign fixed some issues, and the pivot cups and stock bushings are good to go. You'll love 'em man, smoothest grind and best turn in the biz.

Oh damn I wasn't aware of that. Stands to reason, I always felt like the bottom bushing didn't sit quite flush with the base. Definitely looking forward to giving Aces a go though. I was on the fence and then they dropped the update so I was sold

Dengles

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2015, 02:28:08 PM »
Expand Quote
I also tighten my mounting hardware diagonally. Just a quirk I guess, but I always thought it'd center the baseplate better.
[close]

Tightening screws in a cross pattern is supposed to be the correct way, period. Not just for skateboarding. I do it, too, any other way feels weird.

Expand Quote

finger tight about to fall apart at all times, if you can't hear them jingle they're too tight for me
[close]

I tried doing this back when I was just started. It was all fun and games until I was riding down the avenue and the nut of the front truck fell off! Finding the bushing, the washer and the nut in between the traffic runs was fun, but not the kind of experience I want again. I like to tighten the front truck with my fingers as much as I can, then tighten them with the tool just enough for me not to be able to untighten them by hand.

I like to keep my back truck tighter. Tight enough to give stability, but loose enough to be responsive. I'd love to ride them both super loose, but I just can't pull it off on a daily basis, especially considering my commute.

I've had trucks fall apart a lot, but I've been riding them this way for long enough to the point where I can hear when they're too loose and may fall apart and then I can give them a few twists with my finger. 

Xtal

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2015, 02:38:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was going to say trucks are what I'm most picky about with my set ups but I realised I'm picky about everything down the the bolts, but I guess that just means I fit in here.

Currently riding thunder 147 high hollows with bones medium bushings. I skate them medium-loose, prefer them looser but kept getting wheelbite every time I landed anything. Was riding Indy hollow 149s before these, with Indy after market medium bushings. Didn't get on with them. I honesty don't see why everyone sucks indys dick so hard. Buying some ace 44's tomorrow, hoping they live up to the hype. Going to keep them stock because I'm tired of tinkering around with shit
[close]

From my experience, Bones bushings don't fit properly in Thunder trucks. I even called DLXSF one day and he said Thunder's geometry and Bones don't mesh well. You need the cylinder aftermarket Indy or Thunder bushings with both the bottom and top washers on Thunders. I stopped riding the Thunder 149 Hi's because they're are slightly lower than Indy Hi's and I got insane wheelbite.

Ace Hi's are about the same height as Thunder Hi's from baseplate to axle, but just the way they're built you can ride super loose and wheelbite is very minimal. They'll feel a bit weird at first when grinding, but you're going to notice how insanely responsive they are to your turns. The new redesign fixed some issues, and the pivot cups and stock bushings are good to go. You'll love 'em man, smoothest grind and best turn in the biz.
[close]

Oh damn I wasn't aware of that. Stands to reason, I always felt like the bottom bushing didn't sit quite flush with the base. Definitely looking forward to giving Aces a go though. I was on the fence and then they dropped the update so I was sold

Yeah then today I receive some indy's and other goodies as a gift, and I compare the Indy's to my Ace's and the Indy's look like they were casted by a five year old. Casting marks all over the place and they're no longer made in the USA. Ace makes theirs in China but at least it's done right.

N.L.

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »
I think you might be wrong about that. I believe Ermico is still making the non-forged, Indy, Thunder, Venture trucks...

BMCsteve

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2015, 03:49:47 PM »
I think you might be wrong about that. I believe Ermico is still making the non-forged, Indy, Thunder, Venture trucks...

Correct.  Ermico pours any cast metal for indy, thunder and venture.  That includes all hangers and cast baseplates.  All of the forged components and titanium axles are from China.

Trucks with aluminum hangers from china (Ace, Krux, Destructo, etc) grind  better than anything on the planet but wear down a little quicker due to the metal being slightly softer than what they use at Ermico

N.L.

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2015, 03:53:52 PM »
Yeah, I found a noticeable difference in the way Krux/ Ace grind compared to Thunder/ Indy. It does feel softer and I don't really like it.

Xtal

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2015, 04:07:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Correct.  Ermico pours any cast metal for indy, thunder and venture.  That includes all hangers and cast baseplates.  All of the forged components and titanium axles are from China.

Trucks with aluminum hangers from china (Ace, Krux, Destructo, etc) grind  better than anything on the planet but wear down a little quicker due to the metal being slightly softer than what they use at Ermico

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I almost feel like posting a picture of these Indy's shitty casting job. I guess I'm just used to how beautiful Ace's look and how I want to skate just by looking at them. These Indy's look like the last set off of a shelf at Wal Mart that no one wanted.

BMCsteve

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2015, 05:06:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I almost feel like posting a picture of these Indy's shitty casting job. I guess I'm just used to how beautiful Ace's look and how I want to skate just by looking at them. These Indy's look like the last set off of a shelf at Wal Mart that no one wanted.

Totally agree there.  my Indy's look like shit as well. Ace are actually my favorite looking truck out today

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2015, 05:16:01 PM »
8.25 deck

149 Indys   -   STOCK

i used to care about bones bushings but they always fell apart so hard, and it was such a hassle replacing them... i've been going straight stock for like 2 years now and i often wonder what i was really fusing about.  it's all good now.

Xtal

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2015, 05:21:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Totally agree there.  my Indy's look like shit as well. Ace are actually my favorite looking truck out today

I'm still curious to try Krux's 5.0 Tall trucks. Heard they turn great and the stock cushions are supposed to be really good. Plus the bottle opener will come in handy. You ever try 'em?

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2015, 06:21:13 PM »

Expand Quote
The one weird thing that I do is I set both trucks up with equal tightness and then I switch them (front to back) with every new board setup.  
[close]
I also do this, my friends think it's weird that I don't designate a front and back truck.
I also tighten my mounting hardware diagonally. Just a quirk I guess, but I always thought it'd center the baseplate better.
i feel like if i rotated my trucks everytime i skated a new deck it would totally throw me off. i feel like skating the front truck looser than the back just kind of happens naturally for most people, making the back a little more stable since your weight is mostly there. i also tighten my bolts diagonally.

indy 149 titanium with after market orange indy bushings with the barrel bottoms. i use washers on the axles but not spacers. i used to ride lots of other trucks and this is my first pair of indys after skating for 16+? years and i love them. its the first truck ive been able to skate medium loose and feel totally stable and comfortable. i used to ride my trucks super tight when i was riding thunders and ventures.

i also have a set of thunder 151 with old black thunder bushings from an old set. i didnt like the ones they had and didnt wanna spend money on more. so far they feel ok but i havent skated them much. i also use risers cause the last set of thunders i had gave me a shit load of wheelbite and thats why i switched over to indy. i dont look at thread counts on either for the kingpin, just adjust til it feels right. (looking at it i guess theres barely a thread showing on the indys and flush on the thunders but that could change since i havent skated them much.)

Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »
Venture 5.2 V-Hollow Lights Hi with 8.125 deck. Stock everything. Finger tightened and then 3/4 of a turn with a tool, I think...I'm pretty superstitious, once I get my trucks perfect, I leave everything alone. Front truck slightly looser. This might be my favorite setup; sharp turns but curvy at the same time.

Other setup: Indy Titanium 139 w/ red Indy aftermarket bushings, 8.06 deck. Finger tightened and then 3/4 of a turn with a tool. Front truck slightly looser. So far, I'm digging how stable they feel and how they feel overall. But they're just not as forgiving as Ventures when I land sloppy.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2015, 07:05:58 PM »
I didn't know rotating trucks was considered unusual. wouldn't the bushings on your back trucks wear out way faster otherwise? the break-in period is kind of annoying but really short, like maybe an hour. it feels like you're skating the nose of your board for a while and you might even screw up trying to ollie a manhole. if people are walking by and see you fail you want to explain to them that you just rotated your trucks.

Xtal

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2015, 01:30:08 PM »
So Indy offers conical aftermarket bushings and I've never tried them so I'm finally going to pull the trigger. Conical being the same shape as bones bushings.

Anyways, I'm torn between the blue color (92a) or the red (88a). I'm a little over 200lbs and I can't ride super soft bushings, but hards take forever to break in, so I've always stuck with medium Bones. However, Indy's red ones which are considered soft, are 88a and not ridiculously soft like Bones' 81a. Anyone think I'd be good with the red ones, or should I not risk destroying them quickly and go with the blues?

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2015, 01:45:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's weird, I just bought a set of Indy 139 forged Titanium and they are specifically labled "Made In The USA".

Xtal

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2015, 01:49:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
That's weird, I just bought a set of Indy 139 forged Titanium and they are specifically labled "Made In The USA".

I've thought about buying those expensive ass trucks due to the titanium axle and slightly better quality overall, but they put hollow kingpins in them and I will never ride hollow's. Every person I've ever met skating hollow kingpin's no matter what company snapped them. I'm sure I could put a regular kingpin in there that will fit but I don't fuck with kingpins. Just bushings and pivot cups although I've never had to replace a cup yet.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2015, 01:53:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I've thought about buying those expensive ass trucks due to the titanium axle and slightly better quality overall, but they put hollow kingpins in them and I will never ride hollow's. Every person I've ever met skating hollow kingpin's no matter what company snapped them. I'm sure I could put a regular kingpin in there that will fit but I don't fuck with kingpins. Just bushings and pivot cups although I've never had to replace a cup yet.
Hollow kingpins are stronger than regular. It's physics, check it out.

Xtal

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2015, 01:59:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Unless they use a stronger grade metal, I have every reason to believe they're not as strong as regular kingpins.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2015, 02:33:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Unless they use a stronger grade metal, I have every reason to believe they're not as strong as regular kingpins.
Yes, most hollow kingpins are titanium where as solid kingpins are not. Also, the bulk of strength in a cylinder is concentrated in the outside. The ability to flex also results to less fracturing meaning a solid cylinder is likely to fracture from the inside out and a hollow cylinder is less likely to do so.

N.L.

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2015, 03:02:13 PM »
So even if the kingpins were the same material, hollow would still be stronger, correct?

Xtal

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2015, 03:02:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Correct.� Ermico pours any cast metal for indy, thunder and venture.� That includes all hangers and cast baseplates.� All of the forged components and titanium axles are from China.

Trucks with aluminum hangers from china (Ace, Krux, Destructo, etc) grind� better than anything on the planet but wear down a little quicker due to the metal being slightly softer than what they use at Ermico

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Yes, most hollow kingpins are titanium where as solid kingpins are not. Also, the bulk of strength in a cylinder is concentrated in the outside. The ability to flex also results to less fracturing meaning a solid cylinder is likely to fracture from the inside out and a hollow cylinder is less likely to do so.

Interesting. Thank you for the info good sir. I did notice the forged titanium Indy's are essentially a mid truck which would require me to use a riser since I ride so loose. Don't think I'll ever get 'em but I hope they work out for you. I bet they'll last a ridiculously long time.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2015, 03:15:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Correct.� Ermico pours any cast metal for indy, thunder and venture.� That includes all hangers and cast baseplates.� All of the forged components and titanium axles are from China.

Trucks with aluminum hangers from china (Ace, Krux, Destructo, etc) grind� better than anything on the planet but wear down a little quicker due to the metal being slightly softer than what they use at Ermico

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Interesting. Thank you for the info good sir. I did notice the forged titanium Indy's are essentially a mid truck which would require me to use a riser since I ride so loose. Don't think I'll ever get 'em but I hope they work out for you. I bet they'll last a ridiculously long time.
To be honest I really only bought them because I got a great discount on them.

So even if the kingpins were the same material, hollow would still be stronger, correct?
Not necessarily, if you have 2 cylinders of equal weight and diameter the hollow one would be stronger, the variables in length can distort this and then the material used is going to be a factor. It's something that requires testing and can be subject to various differentiating factors but overall I'd still say that hollow kingpins are less likely to snap than solids.

Such

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2015, 03:25:14 PM »
i bought some indy 149īs from this shitty shop and they gave me one hollow and one standard. would i even notice? are they different in any way? height is the same i think. i hope they dont turn differently. hollows are the Reynolds model. i mean its a 26.g difference so i doubt id notice it. i cant feel which is which in my hands.

the shop is closed now so i cant return them. serves them right.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2015, 03:38:30 PM »
i bought some indy 149�s from this shitty shop and they gave me one hollow and one standard. would i even notice? are they different in any way? height is the same i think. i hope they dont turn differently. hollows are the Reynolds model. i mean its a 26.g difference so i doubt id notice it. i cant feel which is which in my hands.

the shop is closed now so i cant return them. serves them right.

That would fuck with my OCD... Is the shop closed forever or just in the holidays? if so wait for it to open so you can change them.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

BMCsteve

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Theeve makes the only hollow titanium kingpin on the planet.  All others (Indy, thunder, venture, etc) are steel