Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220904 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2016, 08:28:50 AM »
has anyone ever come up with something like a bike hub....I ride spacers....washers.....everything you are suppose to and it'd be sick if you just tightened up your wheels nice and tight and they ran freely without having to back off the nut and then keep an eye on it......

BMCsteve

« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2016, 09:03:54 AM »
has anyone ever come up with something like a bike hub....I ride spacers....washers.....everything you are suppose to and it'd be sick if you just tightened up your wheels nice and tight and they ran freely without having to back off the nut and then keep an eye on it......

Yup, so the new Bones Race Reds are exactly that. Spacers and watchers built in by extending the race.  There are a few other companies out there doing it as well.  It makes the whole separate spacer/washer thing seem ancient

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2016, 09:18:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I like the hardware on my trucks really tight so the baseplates don't move around when I skate. In the past I've also had nuts rattle off so I'm left with only a bolt. What's the best way to get your hardware really tight without causing premature stress cracks in the deck?

I have 7/8 hardware that are tightened flush. Still get a bit of baseplate movement but not sure if anything can be done. Just a native feature of skateboards. Was wondering if there are any special tricks to prevent it.

[close]

Expand Quote
the thing that sucks about it is over time your bolt holes get all huge and loose like camel toe.
[close]

I have the same concern. I had to replace my last set of Indys (granted they lasted 2 years) because of this problem. Is it from loose or over-tightened hardware? or both? Maybe I need to replace my bolts more often.
[close]
the hardware is too loose, making the baseplate move around and that damages the holes.

I've noticed this happening too if you're hardware is smaller than the holes in your deck/baseplate. If you have ever used Indy bolts, that shit is snug in your deck before you even tighten them. Anything other than shorty's or indy (that I have had) seems to be a little smaller and have some play.
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

ZEBRA

« Reply #213 on: January 28, 2016, 01:58:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yup, so the new Bones Race Reds are exactly that. Spacers and watchers built in by extending the race.  There are a few other companies out there doing it as well.  It makes the whole separate spacer/washer thing seem ancient

Wow!!! These must be new?? Never heard of these.

I've got Super Reds right now. Hand-me-downs from a friend and they're like 3-4 years old.

What are the benefits of spacers?? Never understood what they were for...

BMCsteve

« Reply #214 on: January 28, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I've got Super Reds right now. Hand-me-downs from a friend and they're like 3-4 years old.

Yup, they've only been out for a couple months.  There are a few other brands that have been making the same thing for years but they were targeted to the longboard community.

spacers essentially allow you to fully tighten down your wheel and allow them to handle more torsional load without failing.  this is why longboarders can go 50mph carving without their bearing cages exploding. 

The same principle applies for street skating with powerslides, reverts and pretty much anytime you don't land perfectly

Xtal

« Reply #215 on: January 28, 2016, 02:42:32 PM »
Hard Luck's Good Times, Great Times, and Six Ball's all have extended races. I have a set of sixers still waiting to be opened and set up, I'm pretty stoked.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #216 on: January 28, 2016, 06:33:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yup, they've only been out for a couple months.  There are a few other brands that have been making the same thing for years but they were targeted to the longboard community.

spacers essentially allow you to fully tighten down your wheel and allow them to handle more torsional load without failing.  this is why longboarders can go 50mph carving without their bearing cages exploding. 

The same principle applies for street skating with powerslides, reverts and pretty much anytime you don't land perfectly

Yeah..I had seen those on really old toy store set ups....ill have to grab a set.....

Longboarding got into all the kooky bushing profiles too.....

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2016, 11:10:23 AM »
Just setup some new Thunder ti 147s, and the stock white bushings are much softer than the translucent yellow ones that came with my last two sets of thunders (147 or 149s); so much so I get wheel bite just leaning with minimal effort while stationary on 51mm wheels.

I'll get to skate them this weekend and see if I can stick with them or resort to bones, either soft/soft or med bottoms and soft tops (probably med/soft as the soft/soft is just too floopy).

BMCsteve

« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2016, 01:29:20 PM »
Just setup some new Thunder ti 147s, and the stock white bushings are much softer than the translucent yellow ones that came with my last two sets of thunders (147 or 149s); so much so I get wheel bite just leaning with minimal effort while stationary on 51mm wheels.

I'll get to skate them this weekend and see if I can stick with them or resort to bones, either soft/soft or med bottoms and soft tops (probably med/soft as the soft/soft is just too floopy).

My thunder bushings firmed up after a few sessions.  you know I don't ride loose but the white bushings with the nut flush worked for me on 149's once they broke in.  it was rough for the first couple days though

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2016, 01:05:34 AM »

they just seem softer in the beginning but after rolling for two hours they went pretty hard and next session were perfect and the same hardness- at least i did not notice any difference!

i remember bmc steve saying on here that the duro on the yellow ones is different than on the white ones though!?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2016, 07:18:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah..I had seen those on really old toy store set ups....ill have to grab a set.....

Longboarding got into all the kooky bushing profiles too.....
I get how you don't need spacers with these(don't use them anyway), but how do you not need washers?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #221 on: January 30, 2016, 09:45:41 AM »
The sleeve protrudes outside the bearing on both sides.....the way I see it is the nut never puts pressure on the parts that should move ie the bearing and wheel....so they can run freely.....

I'm gonna try these....prolly next time I set up a board....ill let you guys know....

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #222 on: January 30, 2016, 10:38:07 AM »
They'll work as well as any other bearing with builtins (Zealous Seismic, Route, Bilitin, etc.); the biggest concern, if it matters to you, is that they are significantly heavier than a standard bearing set w/spaces and washers. I own set of Zeaouls and Seismic 6-ball and the seismics are heavy in hand; I use them on my cruiser.

N.L.

« Reply #223 on: January 30, 2016, 11:00:12 AM »
Lol I've rode every truck out there that's worth buying (Krux not yet), even Thunders and they definitely aren't good right out of the box especially with those shitty stock bushings. If you're really that impatient try some softer bushings in the Ace's. You're nuts if you're going to completely disregard them after one session.

hate to say it but Xtal was right. couple of sessions deep and the ace stock bushings are money. yes, they are harder than the bushing i usually ride in thunders and indys but when the trucks respond and turn like ace that's just fine.

Xtal

« Reply #224 on: February 05, 2016, 05:56:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Lol I've rode every truck out there that's worth buying (Krux not yet), even Thunders and they definitely aren't good right out of the box especially with those shitty stock bushings. If you're really that impatient try some softer bushings in the Ace's. You're nuts if you're going to completely disregard them after one session.
[close]

hate to say it but Xtal was right. couple of sessions deep and the ace stock bushings are money. yes, they are harder than the bushing i usually ride in thunders and indys but when the trucks respond and turn like ace that's just fine.

Told you fool!

BMCsteve

« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2016, 03:27:27 PM »
Jumping on the bandwagon to give them a shot

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #226 on: February 06, 2016, 04:10:35 PM »
I'm so disappointed in you Steve.
you never know about pre-cum 

N.L.

« Reply #227 on: February 06, 2016, 04:10:46 PM »
ha ha... Steve, yeah. still digging my 44s. so far no apparent axle bending. pivot cups are just fine also.  

what i really like is, the lack of wheel bite even with rattle loose trucks. thunders and indy usually require me to use risers but i forgo risers on my aces and although i have wheel rub marks, i'm not getting thrown off on sloppy landings. maybe its the angle of the jangle?

BMCsteve

« Reply #228 on: February 06, 2016, 04:24:13 PM »
ha ha... Steve, yeah. still digging my 44s. so far no apparent axle bending. pivot cups are just fine also.  

what i really like is, the lack of wheel bite even with rattle loose trucks. thunders and indy usually require me to use risers but i forgo risers on my aces and although i have wheel rub marks, i'm not getting thrown off on sloppy landings. maybe its the angle of the jangle?

So far I set them up with the but flush and swapped the pivot cups for khiro softs. Had a quick flat ground session in the garage and they felt great.  I'll be able to get a full day on them tomorrow to really feel them out

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #229 on: February 06, 2016, 04:37:59 PM »

What size/shape wheels are you riding?

N.L.

« Reply #230 on: February 06, 2016, 06:07:37 PM »
58mm Spitfire f4 classics, worn down to about 56/55mm.

BMCsteve

« Reply #231 on: February 07, 2016, 06:54:21 AM »
I'm so disappointed in you Steve.

you and me both, bud

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #232 on: February 07, 2016, 01:44:15 PM »
Krux k4s. Never riding anything else.

58mm Spitfire f4 classics, worn down to about 56/55mm.

Nice. I can't fuck with wheels that big. I have a set of 56mm soft D'd on a hammer and I feel like I need 1/4" risers.

BMCsteve

« Reply #233 on: February 08, 2016, 09:50:31 AM »
Spent yesterday skating the Ace 44's and I must be missing something. 

I loosened them up about 1/2 turn from stock and replaced the harder Ace pivot cups with Khiro soft but the trucks did not feel how everyone always describes them.

I expected an almost cartoonish, deep, surfy turn and what ended up happening was tic tacking around trying to carve in bowls.

I had to loosen them up 2 turns past having the nut flush just to get any sort of decent turning radius.

You can't expect trucks to be perfect on the first day but this was the opposite of everything I thought they would be.  I got a deeper turn out of Venture's.

N.L.

« Reply #234 on: February 08, 2016, 10:20:55 AM »
I had the same problem. Stock bushings feel very hard- they do get better but I had to put a Thunder top bushing on to loosen them up enough.

Xtal

« Reply #235 on: February 08, 2016, 10:31:46 AM »
Leave the trucks alone, especially the pivot cups. Break them in stock. Patience...

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #236 on: February 08, 2016, 06:25:48 PM »
Expand Quote
lately I've been having a problem with one of my trucks. on one side only, the outer bearing keeps slowly coming out of the wheel. I've tried cleaning my bearings and rotating them. the wheels are new too so I'm thinking something is wrong with the axle of my truck. it's really strange. anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?
[close]
Maybe bearing seat(I think its called, hole either way) is defective on that side?. Especially if its been happening since you put the new wheels on

Pretty sure now my axle is bent. It's happening with again with my new set of Spitfires. That's three different sets of wheels. Does this axle look bent to you guys?

zippy z

« Reply #237 on: February 08, 2016, 06:53:30 PM »
Nope. That axle in the fg and the wheel in the bg look fine.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #238 on: February 08, 2016, 07:08:34 PM »
I think you're right. I tried putting something with a right angle against it and it lined up correctly. This is really bizarre. I have no idea why but the outer bearing on my wheel keeps slowly coming out on that one axle only.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #239 on: February 09, 2016, 12:46:57 AM »
I think you're right. I tried putting something with a right angle against it and it lined up correctly. This is really bizarre. I have no idea why but the outer bearing on my wheel keeps slowly coming out on that one axle only.

Is your axle rusted? Doesn't look too bad, but still consider it. This happened on an old pair of stage 9's I had once. Took me awhile to figure out. My axle was so rusted that side to side movement of my wheels sitting on it, was really chalky. The friction was causing my bearing to pull out a bit, all the time. I just used some citrus cleaner on my axle to wipe away dirt/rust and swathed it lightly with bearing lube after, then it stopped happening.

If not, maybe you lubed the bearing up too much after you cleaned them? To the point where the ring keeps slipping out of its bearing seat. This happened to me on some sml wheels I had once (the ones with the black plastic core).