Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221099 times)

Deekay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #240 on: February 09, 2016, 12:54:33 AM »
Spent yesterday skating the Ace 44's and I must be missing something. 

I loosened them up about 1/2 turn from stock and replaced the harder Ace pivot cups with Khiro soft but the trucks did not feel how everyone always describes them.

I expected an almost cartoonish, deep, surfy turn and what ended up happening was tic tacking around trying to carve in bowls.

I had to loosen them up 2 turns past having the nut flush just to get any sort of decent turning radius.

You can't expect trucks to be perfect on the first day but this was the opposite of everything I thought they would be.  I got a deeper turn out of Venture's.

When did you last have new trucks? I could barely roll on a board with thunders after riding aces for a few months, give it a few days.. The stock bushings are great when they're broken in so leave them in there.

BMCsteve

« Reply #241 on: February 09, 2016, 06:11:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Spent yesterday skating the Ace 44's and I must be missing something. 

I loosened them up about 1/2 turn from stock and replaced the harder Ace pivot cups with Khiro soft but the trucks did not feel how everyone always describes them.

I expected an almost cartoonish, deep, surfy turn and what ended up happening was tic tacking around trying to carve in bowls.

I had to loosen them up 2 turns past having the nut flush just to get any sort of decent turning radius.

You can't expect trucks to be perfect on the first day but this was the opposite of everything I thought they would be.  I got a deeper turn out of Venture's.
[close]

When did you last have new trucks? I could barely roll on a board with thunders after riding aces for a few months, give it a few days.. The stock bushings are great when they're broken in so leave them in there.

WAY too often  :D

Spent an hour last night just cruising on the Ace's with the KP nut only hand tight and it was OK.  got home and tightened them a half turn and I could barely turn again.  Took the ace bushings out (they are indeed hard as all hell) and put some Krux bushings in and the trucks performed wonderfully.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #242 on: February 09, 2016, 06:23:57 AM »
Your endorsement makes me want to try them, I know your an all washers kinda guy but the stock bushings might feel better without the bottom ones, then again I think all trucks feel better without them

BMCsteve

« Reply #243 on: February 09, 2016, 06:27:21 AM »
Your endorsement makes me want to try them, I know your an all washers kinda guy but the stock bushings might feel better without the bottom ones, then again I think all trucks feel better without them

They will likely be in the classifieds section for a really good deal tonight haha

People love them so I thought I'd give them a shot but they just aren't working out for me.  The plus side is that the quality of the trucks is superb

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #244 on: February 09, 2016, 12:55:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They will likely be in the classifieds section for a really good deal tonight haha

People love them so I thought I'd give them a shot but they just aren't working out for me.  The plus side is that the quality of the trucks is superb
How much?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

BMCsteve

« Reply #245 on: February 09, 2016, 01:24:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
How much?

I was talked into hanging on to them for a bit longer.  I'm going to put 3-4 more sessions on them.  if they still aren't working for me, I'll post them up

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #246 on: February 09, 2016, 06:36:12 PM »
Oh man finally other people that obsess over their gear like me haha.

I've been thinking way too much about trucks lately and I would value some others' opinions. Do you guys think Thunder's are out of the question if you're on the heavier side and like loose trucks? Thought about buying some polished hi's and throwing some aftermarket bushings in 'em but I always ride 54mm wheels and I'm worried I may get killer wheelbite. I know I could go down to maybe a 52mm wheel but I feel like that will be too small for my liking and slow me down. I really don't want to use risers either.

I've read a lot about Ace's but I don't think I'll ever try them until they make an 8.5 axle. So, I've been thinking either Thunder or Krux? Indy's turn too slow for me no matter what bushings I've tried.

edit: I forgot to ask...will standard size cylinder or conical bushings fit in Thunder Hi's? Their "Hi" is pretty much a low truck so I'm not sure if it would require a "low" bushing. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 08:42:29 PM by Main »

BMCsteve

« Reply #247 on: February 09, 2016, 08:43:45 PM »

I've been thinking way too much about trucks lately and I would value some others' opinions. Do you guys think Thunder's are out of the question if you're on the heavier side and like loose trucks? Thought about buying some polished hi's and throwing some aftermarket bushings in 'em but I always ride 54mm wheels and I'm worried I may get killer wheelbite. I know I could go down to maybe a 52mm wheel but I feel like that will be too small for my liking and slow me down. I really don't want to use risers either.

I've read a lot about Ace's but I don't think I'll ever try them until they make an 8.5 axle. So, I've been thinking either Thunder or Krux? Indy's are just too slow for me no matter what bushings I've tried.

edit: I forgot to ask...will standard size cylinder or conical bushings fit in Thunder Hi's? Their "Hi" is pretty much a low truck so I'm not sure if it would require a "low" bushing. Thanks!

Thunders are more prone to wheelbite than any other "hi" truck but if you get the cast team baseplate model and their aftermarket bushings (i would only recommend thunder bushings in thunder trucks) they will be fine.  Depending on how heavier you are, the 95a or 100a bushings in the thunder rebuild kit will work

However, if you want a great turn with no wheelbite, Krux are the way to go.  you can skate up to 56mm wheel without risers and not worry about wheelbite at all

Main

« Reply #248 on: February 09, 2016, 08:47:39 PM »
Expand Quote

I've read a lot about Ace's but I don't think I'll ever try them until they make an 8.5 axle. So, I've been thinking either Thunder or Krux? Indy's are just too slow for me no matter what bushings I've tried.

[close]

Thunders are more prone to wheelbite than any other "hi" truck but if you get the cast team baseplate model and their aftermarket bushings (i would only recommend thunder bushings in thunder trucks) they will be fine.  Depending on how heavier you are, the 95a or 100a bushings in the thunder rebuild kit will work

However, if you want a great turn with no wheelbite, Krux are the way to go.  you can skate up to 56mm wheel without risers and not worry about wheelbite at all

Thanks for the feedback. The Thunder standard team hi's were the ones I was looking at, yeah. I've never messed with hollows or forged baseplates. Why do you only recommend Thunder aftermarket bushings? I thought of maybe putting those Krux aftermarket bushings in them and since they're cylinders they seemed like a good solution, no?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 08:49:35 PM by Main »

N.L.

« Reply #249 on: February 09, 2016, 09:01:13 PM »

I've read a lot about Ace's but I don't think I'll ever try them until they make an 8.5 axle. So, I've been thinking either Thunder or Krux? Indy's turn too slow for me no matter what bushings I've tried.

I'm 190-200 pounds and usually use thunders 149s/ 151s with an 1/8th riser. i ride them loose with stock (broken-in-to-shit) bushings with 56mm wheels and get wheel rub but rarely enough to fuck me up. a lot of it has to do with how your truck lines up with the deck's concave also. thats why i ride trucks slightly wider than my boards as this pushes the wheels further out to where the concave bends steeper. make sense?  maybe i'm full of it... (indy bushings are fine in thunders.)

as for ace. the sizes are indeed frustrating. but 44s are a good substitute for 149s. they come with really thick washers that you can use to push your wheels out a bit.  i hope they make a size between 44s and 55s one day.

krux are also really good and super light.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:05:35 PM by N.L. »

Main

« Reply #250 on: February 09, 2016, 09:18:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm 190-200 pounds and usually use thunders 149s/ 151s with an 1/8th riser. i ride them loose with stock (broken-in-to-shit) bushings with 56mm wheels and get wheel rub but rarely enough to fuck me up. a lot of it has to do with how your truck lines up with the deck's concave also. thats why i ride trucks slightly wider than my boards as this pushes the wheels further out to where the concave bends steeper. make sense?  maybe i'm full of it... (indy bushings are fine in thunders.)

as for ace. the sizes are indeed frustrating. but 44s are a good substitute for 149s. they come with really thick washers that you can use to push your wheels out a bit.  i hope they make a size between 44s and 55s one day.

krux are also really good and super light.

Thanks for your feedback, as well. I'm usually at 200lbs, but during winter I usually gain ten pounds or so. I'm probably at 210lbs right now. Reading your experience with Thunder gives me hope I can ride them. I'd most likely be going 149s with an 8.5. Trucks any wider than my board would be weird for me. I could live with trucks slightly narrower than my deck, though. It seems Ace and Krux offering that 8.25 axle actually filled that void for a lot of people. All truck companies should offer that size in my opinion.

Part of me wants to slim down my board a bit, go down to an 8.25 and see how much it lightens up the load along with some narrower trucks and smaller wheels, but I haven't decided. I've been riding 8.5 for years.

I also still can't get over that hole Krux has. I know it also opens bottles which is cool, but I don't know...they just seem kinda odd. Thunders have a nice sleek design without any bs. I think the Krux bushings in them could make for a really good performing truck. Thunder stocks and aftermarkets appear to all be conical, so a medium durometer cylinder like the Krux bushings should reduce the wheel bite and still allow them to turn well. That's my theory anyway.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:20:23 PM by Main »

BMCsteve

« Reply #251 on: February 09, 2016, 09:25:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Thunders are more prone to wheelbite than any other "hi" truck but if you get the cast team baseplate model and their aftermarket bushings (i would only recommend thunder bushings in thunder trucks) they will be fine.  Depending on how heavier you are, the 95a or 100a bushings in the thunder rebuild kit will work

However, if you want a great turn with no wheelbite, Krux are the way to go.  you can skate up to 56mm wheel without risers and not worry about wheelbite at all
[close]

Thanks for the feedback. The Thunder standard team hi's were the ones I was looking at, yeah. I've never messed with hollows or forged baseplates. Why do you only recommend Thunder aftermarket bushings? I thought of maybe putting those Krux aftermarket bushings in them and since they're cylinders they seemed like a good solution, no?

THe thunder bushings and yoke are unique and only truly fit thunder bushings.  Krux or other barrel bottom bushings will not work.  the aftermarket thunders are great.  if you're 200lbs, id recommend the 100a blacks

Main

« Reply #252 on: February 09, 2016, 09:43:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

THe thunder bushings and yoke are unique and only truly fit thunder bushings.  Krux or other barrel bottom bushings will not work.  the aftermarket thunders are great.  if you're 200lbs, id recommend the 100a blacks

Hmm...well both of you are saying two different things. If it's true that only Thunder aftermarkets will work, I think 100a would be waaaay too hard. I've tried Bones hards in Indy's before and they didn't turn at all even with the kingpin nut almost falling off. And those were 96a durometer.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #253 on: February 09, 2016, 10:52:06 PM »
Indy concical fit thunders like a champ, they are the exact same size. The 88a red atermarket indys get thunders carvey.

Krux bushing fit ACE perfectly (same height at ACE) and are amazing in them.

That said, I rode some 8.25" K4s this past weekend and had a blast. Light and turny!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #254 on: February 09, 2016, 10:56:56 PM »
When someone gets a chance....can they break down truck performance to a few basic terms.....I know it's a bit subjective but 'turn great!' Can mean a ton of shit.....

Main

« Reply #255 on: February 09, 2016, 11:10:56 PM »
Indy concical fit thunders like a champ, they are the exact same size. The 88a red atermarket indys get thunders carvey.

That said, I rode some 8.25" K4s this past weekend and had a blast. Light and turny!

Thanks for the info dude! Since I'm heavier, I think 88a conicals would definitely result in some pretty bad wheelbite for me, especially when Thunder Hi's are only around 52.3mm tall. Kinda bummed that the Krux bushings won't fit Thunder's, too. Looks like I'm pretty much stuck with buying Krux trucks at this point, which isn't necessarily a bad thing I just kinda wanted Thunders more.

BMCsteve

« Reply #256 on: February 10, 2016, 04:14:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for the info dude! Since I'm heavier, I think 88a conicals would definitely result in some pretty bad wheelbite for me, especially when Thunder Hi's are only around 52.3mm tall. Kinda bummed that the Krux bushings won't fit Thunder's, too. Looks like I'm pretty much stuck with buying Krux trucks at this point, which isn't necessarily a bad thing I just kinda wanted Thunders more.

again, if you want thunders and are concerned about wheelbite, get the black thuner 100a bushings.  zero percent chance you will get wheelbite with those.  I've literally tried every aftermarket bushing thunder makes

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #257 on: February 10, 2016, 08:01:28 AM »
I would just avoid thunders altogether if you're worried about wheel bite. Get the krux.
you never know about pre-cum 

Main

« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2016, 09:11:15 AM »
The problem with those 100a Thunder bushings is I know they aren't going to allow me to turn for shit. If I were to get Thunder aftermarkets I'd probably go for those white 90a ones. They'd be better than the stock ones but I'd probably still get a lot of bite since they're softer. I hate how the 92a-94a ones are funky colors with Thunder and Indy. Just make 'em white yo! Anyway, thanks a lot for all your feedback. Krux it is...

I'm still debating on slimming my board down from an 8.5 to an 8.25. I'm 5'10" with a 10.5 shoe. Hoping that quarter inch difference won't make me lose stability, as I've been used to 8.5's for as long as I can remember. I suck at flip tricks, just a lot of transition, slappies, and manuals.

BMCsteve

« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2016, 09:26:51 AM »
The problem with those 100a Thunder bushings is I know they aren't going to allow me to turn for shit. If I were to get Thunder aftermarkets I'd probably go for those white 90a ones. They'd be better than the stock ones but I'd probably still get a lot of bite since they're softer. I hate how the 92a-94a ones are funky colors with Thunder and Indy. Just make 'em white yo! Anyway, thanks a lot for all your feedback. Krux it is...

I'm still debating on slimming my board down from an 8.5 to an 8.25. I'm 5'10" with a 10.5 shoe. Hoping that quarter inch difference won't make me lose stability, as I've been used to 8.5's for as long as I can remember. I suck at flip tricks, just a lot of transition, slappies, and manuals.

Cool man.  I can't imagine Krux wouldn't work out for you.  I haven't heard of anyone getting the Krux K4's and disliking them.  I had a couple pairs before, sold them and recently bought another pair because after skating Indy and Thunder this past year I really missed the Krux.

Main

« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2016, 10:58:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Cool man.  I can't imagine Krux wouldn't work out for you.  I haven't heard of anyone getting the Krux K4's and disliking them.  I had a couple pairs before, sold them and recently bought another pair because after skating Indy and Thunder this past year I really missed the Krux.

Right on man, glad you found a truck that works for you. I think they're the most important component of a set up. You could have shitty wheels and bearings, an old board with razor tail, but as long as you have some good trucks that turn...life is good.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2016, 11:03:15 AM »
Thanks for testing every stuff for us, Steve !
i'm an indy user for years, but i'll try these 8.25 krux if i have the opportunity

BMCsteve

« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2016, 11:14:54 AM »
Thanks for testing every stuff for us, Steve !
i'm an indy user for years, but i'll try these 8.25 krux if i have the opportunity

No prob!  I'm glad some people around Slap can find this stuff beneficial.  None of it applies for everyone but I'm always hoping that someone could learn from my testing and try something new or save their money.

Definitely pick up some Krux if you ever have a chance.  They can be had for under $30 on tactics.com which is insane considering how great they are

I'll have some updates regarding my Ace testing coming this weekend.  Different kingpin, bushings, etc :)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #263 on: February 11, 2016, 12:30:52 PM »
If NHS ever make an 8.25 Hollow forged Downlow, I'll be a lifer...lo and light like Thunders, turny like ACE & Indy...or just an 8.25 forged ti indy ;)

Main

« Reply #264 on: February 11, 2016, 01:03:58 PM »
I noticed that Bones are now including separate metal top washers with all their bushings now. Too lazy to post a pic but if you look it up you'll see.

BMCsteve

« Reply #265 on: February 11, 2016, 01:19:57 PM »
you could in theory run them correctly now (not as pictured) -

• bottom bushing with the stock washer
    top bushing with the new thin washer

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #266 on: February 11, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »
Trying to make moves, after people realized the plastic shit was a gimmick, aftermarket Indies and Thunders are far superior.

BMCsteve

« Reply #267 on: February 11, 2016, 01:55:56 PM »
Trying to make moves, after people realized the plastic shit was a gimmick, aftermarket Indies and Thunders are far superior.

Amen to that.

Funny enough, Shorty's had been working on developing this for the last year https://www.instagram.com/p/6Q7IhNnyln/  

Even calling Bones out - https://www.instagram.com/p/t3pH25HyqY/

The Shorty's version didn't contain any plastic though, just the carbon steel washer on the top

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #268 on: February 11, 2016, 04:35:19 PM »
Expand Quote
I think you're right. I tried putting something with a right angle against it and it lined up correctly. This is really bizarre. I have no idea why but the outer bearing on my wheel keeps slowly coming out on that one axle only.
[close]

Is your axle rusted? Doesn't look too bad, but still consider it. This happened on an old pair of stage 9's I had once. Took me awhile to figure out. My axle was so rusted that side to side movement of my wheels sitting on it, was really chalky. The friction was causing my bearing to pull out a bit, all the time. I just used some citrus cleaner on my axle to wipe away dirt/rust and swathed it lightly with bearing lube after, then it stopped happening.

If not, maybe you lubed the bearing up too much after you cleaned them? To the point where the ring keeps slipping out of its bearing seat. This happened to me on some sml wheels I had once (the ones with the black plastic core).

Thanks for this tip. I tried what you said and have skated a couple times since then and no problems so far. I've always wiped my axles with a paper towel but never properly cleaned and oiled them.

Main

« Reply #269 on: February 11, 2016, 05:52:37 PM »
So just for shits I was looking at info on Thunders today and found a chart that shows the differences in height.

8.0 "Polished Hi's"- 49.78
8.5 & 8.75 "Polished Hi's"- 52.3  <----these are not even the height of a mid...

Why the fuck does Thunder make two different heights for a regular cast base plate high? No matter what size axle you're buying in an Indy, the height for the standard highs always stays the same, as it should. Also, the difference between a standard "hi" and "lo" Thunder is 1.48mm. Why would they even make a low at that point?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:30:52 PM by Main »