Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220826 times)

BMCsteve

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #270 on: February 11, 2016, 08:52:09 PM »
So just for shits I was looking at info on Thunders today and found a chart that shows the differences in height.

8.0 "Polished Hi's"- 49.78
8.5 & 8.75 "Polished Hi's"- 52.3  <----these are not even the height of a mid...

Why the fuck does Thunder make two different heights for a regular cast base plate high? No matter what size axle you're buying in an Indy, the height for the standard highs always stays the same, as it should. Also, the difference between a standard "hi" and "lo" Thunder is 1.48mm. Why would they even make a low at that point?

The 149 and 151 (8.5 and 8.75) we redesigned after the 147 (8.0) was.  they increased the height for those two models and have no immediate plans to redesign the 147 any time soon

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
« Reply #271 on: February 11, 2016, 09:23:45 PM »
Expand Quote
So just for shits I was looking at info on Thunders today and found a chart that shows the differences in height.

8.0 "Polished Hi's"- 49.78
8.5 & 8.75 "Polished Hi's"- 52.3  <----these are not even the height of a mid...

Why the fuck does Thunder make two different heights for a regular cast base plate high? No matter what size axle you're buying in an Indy, the height for the standard highs always stays the same, as it should. Also, the difference between a standard "hi" and "lo" Thunder is 1.48mm. Why would they even make a low at that point?

[close]

The 149 and 151 (8.5 and 8.75) we redesigned after the 147 (8.0) was.  they increased the height for those two models and have no immediate plans to redesign the 147 any time soon

It makes sense that they increased the height of the 149 and 151's but it should be at 53.5 at least, not 52.3.

Then at the same time it doesn't make sense to me that they decrease the height the smaller the width of the trucks get while they keep calling it a high. Or just the fact that they call their highs "hi" in general, as they're all essentially low.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #272 on: February 12, 2016, 08:08:01 AM »
Could anyone explain to me the difference better bones bushings and Indy bushings? Any pros/cons? Trying to decide between bones hard or Indy hards.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #273 on: February 12, 2016, 08:15:36 AM »
Could anyone explain to me the difference better bones bushings and Indy bushings? Any pros/cons? Trying to decide between bones hard or Indy hards.
Assuming you have Indy trucks, Indy's last wayyyy longer, turn much better, fit properly, better in every way basically.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #274 on: February 12, 2016, 08:44:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Assuming you have Indy trucks, Indy's last wayyyy longer, turn much better, fit properly, better in every way basically.

I have Indy 149 hollows. Thanks for the info. Sold me on going with the indys. I'll save the bones for another time.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

N.L.

« Reply #275 on: February 12, 2016, 08:45:52 AM »
100% urethane bushings just feel better.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #276 on: February 12, 2016, 09:02:51 AM »
100% urethane bushings just feel better.
This too

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #277 on: February 12, 2016, 09:20:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think you're right. I tried putting something with a right angle against it and it lined up correctly. This is really bizarre. I have no idea why but the outer bearing on my wheel keeps slowly coming out on that one axle only.
[close]

Is your axle rusted? Doesn't look too bad, but still consider it. This happened on an old pair of stage 9's I had once. Took me awhile to figure out. My axle was so rusted that side to side movement of my wheels sitting on it, was really chalky. The friction was causing my bearing to pull out a bit, all the time. I just used some citrus cleaner on my axle to wipe away dirt/rust and swathed it lightly with bearing lube after, then it stopped happening.

If not, maybe you lubed the bearing up too much after you cleaned them? To the point where the ring keeps slipping out of its bearing seat. This happened to me on some sml wheels I had once (the ones with the black plastic core).
[close]

Thanks for this tip. I tried what you said and have skated a couple times since then and no problems so far. I've always wiped my axles with a paper towel but never properly cleaned and oiled them.

Hell yeah, glad it worked for ya. Citrus solvent is the best for cleaning trucks/bearings.

N.L.

« Reply #278 on: February 12, 2016, 01:03:16 PM »
Just dug through my box of spare skate shit and found some old krux bushings. so old they look more black than white. anyway, threw them in my 44s and yes, good shit. i think with the key with aces is that you can get away with riding harder bushing that what you might usually run and still get a great turn.

BMCsteve

« Reply #279 on: February 12, 2016, 01:06:18 PM »
Just dug through my box of spare skate shit and found some old krux bushings. so old they look more black than white. anyway, threw them in my 44s and yes, good shit. i think with the key with aces is that you can get away with riding harder bushing that what you might usually run and still get a great turn.

Totally agree.  I'm putting a Krux downlow kingpin and Krux bushings on my aces tomorrow. 

I've been skating my Krux K4's this week and I find them to be absolutely perfect but I'm stoked to try this combo on some Ace's as well

N.L.

« Reply #280 on: February 12, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Totally agree.  I'm putting a Krux downlow kingpin and Krux bushings on my aces tomorrow. 

I've been skating my Krux K4's this week and I find them to be absolutely perfect but I'm stoked to try this combo on some Ace's as well

nice. let us know how it goes.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #281 on: February 12, 2016, 11:44:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It works like a champ:

Main

« Reply #282 on: February 13, 2016, 12:20:46 AM »
That's some mighty fine kingpin clearance.

N.L.

« Reply #283 on: February 13, 2016, 01:36:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It works like a champ:

Did you have to use anything to hold the kingpin in place?

Sidenote, finally had a quick session in a bowl and a pool this morning. holy shit the way they handle roundwall totally negates everything else. i might be a convert...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #284 on: February 13, 2016, 01:51:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It works like a champ:

[close]

Did you have to use anything to hold the kingpin in place?

Sidenote, finally had a quick session in a bowl and a pool this morning. holy shit the way they handle roundwall totally negates everything else. i might be a convert...

Nope. I ride stock/loose on most trucks, with this setup I just held the nut in place with my thumb until it caught then tightened as much as I could. Main issue is that you can't tighten or losen really once mounted unless you wedge or glue the nut (small price to pay honestly), also, there is only so much tightening room as the pin will eventually touch the deck if you crank your shit down.

Yeah, ACEs are pretty much untouchable in tight corners if you like fast carve, Indys can but it's just a diferent feel, it's like riding thunder or indys on street, indy you have to plan your lean, thunders you can sort of twitch it; ACEs allow you to twitch carve and save your ass ;) Krux come really close compared to Indy.

N.L.

« Reply #285 on: February 13, 2016, 02:00:27 PM »
rad. might have to try it at some point... now to order some copper 55s with the redesign if i can find them...

the other thing about aces, you can get a super responsive turn without that sketchy speed wobble feel you might have on other trucks, when you're trying to achieve the same turning sensation...

i don't know... made in china,bending axles, blown out pivots cups, none of happened on mine but even if they did that turning sensation in bowls/pools would still make it worth it... even in the street they feel great, stable when you want them to be, responsive when you need them to be. i'm eating humble pie right now, after being a naysayer for so long... ::)

BMCsteve

« Reply #286 on: February 13, 2016, 08:15:49 PM »
Thanks to Xen for the inspiration on this

I finally got around to the kingpin mod today.  the stock ones came out with just few wacks, the downlow KP, krux bushings and khiro pivot cups all fit perfectly

The clearance is amazing as you can see.  almost no chance of ever hanging up.  Looking forward to skating them tomorrow!

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #287 on: February 13, 2016, 08:28:48 PM »
I've been riding my Thunder 149 Hollow Hi (?) for a year with cracked bushings, and if I could just get a new set of wheels on them I'd keep riding them for longer. Never been into the details of my trucks, so this thread is an interesting read.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #288 on: February 13, 2016, 10:29:14 PM »

I finally got around to the kingpin mod today.  the stock ones came out with just few wacks, the downlow KP, krux bushings and khiro pivot cups all fit perfectly

The clearance is amazing as you can see.  almost no chance of ever hanging up.  Looking forward to skating them tomorrow!

What, no mag plates? ;)

Nut looks like a nice tight fit, any movement?

BMCsteve

« Reply #289 on: February 14, 2016, 06:16:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What, no mag plates? ;)

Nut looks like a nice tight fit, any movement?

haha yeah I didnt want to shell out on the mag baseplates in case they dont work out for me.  The kingpin is really snug with almost no movement at all.  oddly enough it has a tighter fit in the Ace baseplates than the Krux

Main

« Reply #290 on: February 14, 2016, 08:56:58 AM »
So I think I'm gonna go all out and buy one set of Krux and one set of Thunder Hi's just to test out which ones I like better. I'm thinking of throwing Bones hards in the Thunders because my local shops don't carry Thunder aftermarket bushings. Do Bones bushings work fine in Thunders? If so, should I not use the bottom washer but keep the top one on?

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #291 on: February 14, 2016, 10:30:06 AM »
Does anybody know what the best speed washers are to use?

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #292 on: February 14, 2016, 10:42:09 AM »
So I think I'm gonna go all out and buy one set of Krux and one set of Thunder Hi's just to test out which ones I like better. I'm thinking of throwing Bones hards in the Thunders because my local shops don't carry Thunder aftermarket bushings. Do Bones bushings work fine in Thunders? If so, should I not use the bottom washer but keep the top one on?

they work fine but dont fit quite right. not flush. use aftermarket thunder/indy bushings instead, bones are overpriced pieces of shit

Main

« Reply #293 on: February 14, 2016, 11:25:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they work fine but dont fit quite right. not flush. use aftermarket thunder/indy bushings instead, bones are overpriced pieces of shit

Haha for sure thanks man.

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #294 on: February 14, 2016, 11:30:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i skimmed over the part where you wrote that your local doesnt carry em. can you not get your shop to order some in at your request? if not can you not just get some online? i know people preach loyalty to the local but if they dont have something you want then whats the big deal about going elsewhere? especially when its for something small and specific like bushings

Main

« Reply #295 on: February 14, 2016, 12:17:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

i skimmed over the part where you wrote that your local doesnt carry em. can you not get your shop to order some in at your request? if not can you not just get some online? i know people preach loyalty to the local but if they dont have something you want then whats the big deal about going elsewhere? especially when its for something small and specific like bushings

It's mainly me being impatient. My local shops have excellent selection and usually have what I need. Just some little things they don't keep a steady stock of. They could order that stuff but I never like going that route, cause if I'm gonna order something I want it direct to my door, not to the shop where I have to make an extra trip. I'm not opposed to ordering online, SoCal and Skate Warehouse rule.

BMCsteve

« Reply #296 on: February 14, 2016, 10:46:41 PM »
Does anybody know what the best speed washers are to use?

I can't tell you if they're better or worse than any other brand but If I need to replace a bent or lost speed ring, i always replace them with Khiro's http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3956

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #297 on: February 14, 2016, 11:25:23 PM »
does the smoother rounded side go against your bearing or against the truck?
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

BMCsteve

« Reply #298 on: February 14, 2016, 11:46:39 PM »
does the smoother rounded side go against your bearing or against the truck?

The smoother side of a speed ring goes against your truck and the axle nut.  that little ridge actually locks into the bearing although I think it's a byproduct of when the rings are press-cut. 

Not all speed rings have it though and honestly i cant imagine it really makes a difference other than I've noticed when the ridged edge is against your truck it tens to cut into the hanger and stick to it when you do wheel swaps

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #299 on: February 15, 2016, 12:43:40 AM »
i did notice it gets stuck to your hangar but wasnt sure that it would be better off stuck to my bearing, or if it even would. thanks, ill adjust accordingly.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH