Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231102 times)

redcurb12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4350 on: October 18, 2018, 03:30:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone here have experience on taking the paint off some trucks? I just got this super good deal on a used set-up, only thing that the Indys are black & white (hanger/baseplate).
Should I just try to scrape it off? Maybe use some thinner?

I know it's not a big deal but I just can't stand painted trucks.
[close]

This thread showing varying degrees of success with a few different methods. Having also done this to a set of Aces, can be done. You may or may not like how they end up looking. After a few months those Aces definitely have that "complete that's been in the garage for a decade" look.

http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=100305

those thunders turned out sick
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4351 on: October 19, 2018, 01:42:10 AM »
Does anyone here have experience on taking the paint off some trucks?

I last did this on Saturday, I’ve tried a few things
Soaked in acetone and scraping
Sanding it through completly

I’ve found the answer, took me a half hour and there’s not a spot left

Aerosol autobody paint remover, the one I got is made by Rustoleum and it bubbles the paint off which makes for picking it off easy

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4352 on: October 19, 2018, 07:28:04 AM »
Everybody be careful with paint stripper. Use gloves and protect your eyes. Maybe an gasmask too.
I've used that stuff a bit at work.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4353 on: October 19, 2018, 09:59:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone here have experience on taking the paint off some trucks? I just got this super good deal on a used set-up, only thing that the Indys are black & white (hanger/baseplate).
Should I just try to scrape it off? Maybe use some thinner?

I know it's not a big deal but I just can't stand painted trucks.
[close]

Aircraft paint stripper.  Note that they might not be polished under the paint.  I did this to a set of indy's and the raw metal is a funky gray color

I'm sure someone said this but......

Grinding.......

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #4354 on: October 20, 2018, 10:18:38 AM »

Sized up with some 149 Ti + the new ACE low bushings and washers/riptide cups.

The low ace top bushing is the same height as the stock indy, the ace low bottom is ever so slightly shorter than the stock indy but it can't be more than .5mm or something so it won't/doesn't make a difference.

They're waaaaaay more responsive and snappy than stock or after market indy bushings (I normally use the red 88a, even tried to mix match Indy duros like ACE does ); they as squirrly as ACE now with how loose I ride and with 54mm wheels I'm getting wheelbite - hopefully they bushings firm up a bit more as at speed I was wobbling a bit (but I'm also coming off riding Thunders).

(Check that quality casting/mold job on that yoke....)

I Just tried those 88a Indy's in my Krux just for the hell of it after falling in love with the new Ace bushings. I thought maybe it would be similar, but the Indy's feel like crap. I see why people actually like the Krux bushings now, which I also realized are not that good. The Ace's are so damn good and it's not just the duro, I think it's more of the urethane formula. I have a feeling they might get torn up more easily, but it's worth it. Only other setup I tried that was even close was Krux top with Bones medium bottom, and I still prefer the Ace by a lot.

You might consider trying the regular size version for less wheelbite, I only say that because for me they were slightly bigger (like you said, by like .5mm) than the Krux bushings I was replacing and it seemed to work out in my favor.

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #4355 on: October 20, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »
Expand Quote

Sized up with some 149 Ti + the new ACE low bushings and washers/riptide cups.

The low ace top bushing is the same height as the stock indy, the ace low bottom is ever so slightly shorter than the stock indy but it can't be more than .5mm or something so it won't/doesn't make a difference.

They're waaaaaay more responsive and snappy than stock or after market indy bushings (I normally use the red 88a, even tried to mix match Indy duros like ACE does ); they as squirrly as ACE now with how loose I ride and with 54mm wheels I'm getting wheelbite - hopefully they bushings firm up a bit more as at speed I was wobbling a bit (but I'm also coming off riding Thunders).

(Check that quality casting/mold job on that yoke....)
[close]

I Just tried those 88a Indy's in my Krux just for the hell of it after falling in love with the new Ace bushings. I thought maybe it would be similar, but the Indy's feel like crap. I see why people actually like the Krux bushings now, which I also realized are not that good. The Ace's are so damn good and it's not just the duro, I think it's more of the urethane formula. I have a feeling they might get torn up more easily, but it's worth it. Only other setup I tried that was even close was Krux top with Bones medium bottom, and I still prefer the Ace by a lot.

You might consider trying the regular size version for less wheelbite, I only say that because for me they were slightly bigger (like you said, by like .5mm) than the Krux bushings I was replacing and it seemed to work out in my favor.

wuuut?  r u on indy krux or ace trucks? i have no fucking idea wut u jus said in ur post.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #4356 on: October 21, 2018, 08:18:33 AM »
Expand Quote
so im not close to being OCD on trucks to i apologize from the start. i finally got around to skating a stock pair of 6.0 Film trucks and my initial laymen impression is they are a lot closer to krux than ace on the turning scale. riding them in a bowl today i noticed i often had to pick up my front trunk way more than i normally would even on thunder trucks.

before that on my initial session i rode them without adjusting the kingpin at all and i thought they felt pretty fun and turny but i had to tighten them a full turn for my fatass to not get bad wheel bite with my 54 wheels.
[close]

Any way of measuring what Film trucks do to the wheelbase? In comparison to the big brands at least. Would be much appreciated.

compared to indy stage 11 139s the wheel base with the film 6.0 155 was 1/16 of an inch shorter.

i have to say the more im riding these trucks the worse turning they feel. i was doing a bunch of terrible old man board slides on a flat bar today and i have to almost come off the rail perfectly to ride away easy on these. they just werent forgiving if i landed a bit crooked if that makes sense.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #4357 on: October 21, 2018, 11:25:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
so im not close to being OCD on trucks to i apologize from the start. i finally got around to skating a stock pair of 6.0 Film trucks and my initial laymen impression is they are a lot closer to krux than ace on the turning scale. riding them in a bowl today i noticed i often had to pick up my front trunk way more than i normally would even on thunder trucks.

before that on my initial session i rode them without adjusting the kingpin at all and i thought they felt pretty fun and turny but i had to tighten them a full turn for my fatass to not get bad wheel bite with my 54 wheels.
[close]

Any way of measuring what Film trucks do to the wheelbase? In comparison to the big brands at least. Would be much appreciated.
[close]

compared to indy stage 11 139s the wheel base with the film 6.0 155 was 1/16 of an inch shorter.

i have to say the more im riding these trucks the worse turning they feel. i was doing a bunch of terrible old man board slides on a flat bar today and i have to almost come off the rail perfectly to ride away easy on these. they just werent forgiving if i landed a bit crooked if that makes sense.

Much obliged. Weird they have such a whack turn considering they shrink the WB about the same as Ace/Theeve (then again, so do Tensor). Worth a bushing swap experiment?

kentrock

« Reply #4358 on: October 21, 2018, 01:11:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Much obliged. Weird they have such a whack turn considering they shrink the WB about the same as Ace/Theeve (then again, so do Tensor). Worth a bushing swap experiment?

u can't make a garbage truck a good truck.  get some venture lows with krux bushings and so skate.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4359 on: October 21, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »
Have we confirmed that Kentrock is Tracer yet?

kentrock

« Reply #4360 on: October 21, 2018, 08:05:10 PM »
Have we confirmed that Kentrock is Tracer yet?

wtf is tracer???????

IHOP

« Reply #4361 on: October 21, 2018, 10:20:00 PM »
took me a long time but i think i am finally happy on a thunder with 1/8th inch risers.

I still wax my wheel wells every session but I think thats just become my ocd now wether it helps or not.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4362 on: October 22, 2018, 01:49:45 AM »
Has anyone tried deluxe tack and supply supercush bushings?

I’m trying to find cylinder bushings that could work for my theeves and I remember someone saying they’re good but maybe that’s just my sub concious getting me to buy them

I’m wondering if they’re basically thunder formula but cylinder shape
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #4363 on: October 22, 2018, 04:06:44 AM »
"Will not fit in thunder trucks"

http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=42350

I have 2 sets of them I haven't used. Used the greens back in 1990 and they were great. One of my best summers skating for sure. Just haven't tried the new ones out of fear of change

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4364 on: October 22, 2018, 01:27:22 PM »

I have 2 sets of them I haven't used. Used the greens back in 1990 and they were great. One of my best summers skating for sure. Just haven't tried the new ones out of fear of change

Haha guess I’m getting a set

I’ll make them work in thunders

I’ve found I prefer the stability of cylinder bushings overall for my skating

The barrel/cone thunder bushings are good but anything more cone like bones or Indy after market just don’t do me good
yes

BMCsteve

« Reply #4365 on: October 22, 2018, 01:32:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The barrel/cone thunder bushings are good but anything more cone like bones or Indy after market just don’t do me good

Socal added that to their site because I bought a set and sent them pics of them not fitting in thunders.  The bottom bushing is too wide and will not sit in the yoke

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4366 on: October 22, 2018, 01:34:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Socal added that to their site because I bought a set and sent them pics of them not fitting in thunders.  The bottom bushing is too wide and will not sit in the yoke

Cool, thanks for the heads up almost spent money I need to save

Thanks a bunch Steve

Cause I might be losing my job soon so gotta save those rupees
yes

ballintoohard

« Reply #4367 on: October 22, 2018, 02:50:46 PM »
Do the Ace stock bushings fit in Indy Stage XI?

kentrock

« Reply #4368 on: October 22, 2018, 03:12:32 PM »

yes, but ur better with krux

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #4369 on: October 22, 2018, 03:53:59 PM »

Check out Xen's post above. Bottom bushing will fit. Standard top bushing is way too tall for Stage 11's. The Ace low's are what you'd need.

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #4370 on: October 22, 2018, 04:23:13 PM »
took me a long time but i think i am finally happy on a thunder with 1/8th inch risers.

I still wax my wheel wells every session but I think thats just become my ocd now wether it helps or not.

I thought thunders with a 1/8th would make me happy.. But I just couldn't accept the pads.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4371 on: October 22, 2018, 05:27:22 PM »
I just slowly tighten them up and skate 51's....

It's crossed my mind to run a hard bottom med top maybe? 

Diocletian

« Reply #4372 on: October 22, 2018, 07:19:13 PM »
I wonder how those orange 90a deluxe bushings compare to Indy’s aftermarket of the same color and durometer. Anyone tried both in their Indy’s and have any feedback?

Daniel

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4373 on: October 22, 2018, 11:27:12 PM »
I wonder how those orange 90a deluxe bushings compare to Indy’s aftermarket of the same color and durometer. Anyone tried both in their Indy’s and have any feedback?

Indy aftermarket broken in feel smooth and are quality. The dlx aftermarket get squeaky and feel cheap. Indys lasted long and broke in quick.

Heywoodfloyd

• Rep: 13
« Reply #4374 on: October 23, 2018, 07:41:31 AM »
Found a pair of old Ventures that i skated maybe 10 years ago. I put togheter a set up with some old stuff, But i can't remember if the trucks are lows or highs, is there an easy way to find out? They have a raw finish and they came with purple bushings, it has been maybe 10 years since i skated Ventures, but if i remember correctly the color of the bushings in some way corresponds to the height of the trucks?

BMCsteve

« Reply #4375 on: October 23, 2018, 08:16:33 AM »
Found a pair of old Ventures that i skated maybe 10 years ago. I put togheter a set up with some old stuff, But i can't remember if the trucks are lows or highs, is there an easy way to find out? They have a raw finish and they came with purple bushings, it has been maybe 10 years since i skated Ventures, but if i remember correctly the color of the bushings in some way corresponds to the height of the trucks?

Current polished ones have purple in hi and red in low.  not sure about 10 years ago though.

You can tell by the kingpin clearance. 

high -

Low -

Heywoodfloyd

• Rep: 13
« Reply #4376 on: October 24, 2018, 07:54:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Current polished ones have purple in hi and red in low.  not sure about 10 years ago though.

You can tell by the kingpin clearance. 

high -

Low -

Thanks. Looks like i have a pair of highs, should be interesting to try them out after only riding Thunders for a while.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4377 on: October 24, 2018, 09:42:11 AM »
Kingpin clearance on the venture highs are soooo good. I’m skating thunders now but ventures are my very favorite for grinding. No krux pin needed and that extra “lip” on the hanger makes it easier to lock into stuff without snagging the kingpin. When they bring back the v-hollow lights for the 5.8’s or an 8.25 truck, ima be on that shit with the quickness

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4378 on: October 24, 2018, 10:40:07 AM »
Kingpin clearance on the venture highs are soooo good. I’m skating thunders now but ventures are my very favorite for grinding. No krux pin needed and that extra “lip” on the hanger makes it easier to lock into stuff without snagging the kingpin. When they bring back the v-hollow lights for the 5.8’s or an 8.25 truck, ima be on that shit with the quickness

Been waiting for the Vhollows myself to run a pair again. I guess there just isn't a market for them? The team members they promote seem to be the 8" crew.

BMCsteve

« Reply #4379 on: October 24, 2018, 10:49:27 AM »
Just bought some riptide pivot cups because....