Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232753 times)

yapple dapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4380 on: October 24, 2018, 11:44:51 AM »
^ please report back to class after you get a feel for them.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4381 on: October 24, 2018, 11:50:04 AM »
Just bought some riptide pivot cups because....

They're worth it. They last twice as long (if not 3x in ACES) and feel amazing, in any truck,

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4382 on: October 24, 2018, 12:54:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Just bought some riptide pivot cups because....

[close]

They're worth it. They last twice as long (if not 3x in ACES) and feel amazing, in any truck,

Now I’m curious, they are the same size and shape as indy/thunder/venture/ace type pivot cups ?
yes

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4383 on: October 24, 2018, 02:57:56 PM »
Now I’m curious, they are the same size and shape as indy/thunder/venture/ace type pivot cups ?
They're made custom for whatever trucks you ride. You pick what brand you want them made for before purchasing. (However, many brands use identical pivot cup size) I got ACE, Theeve and Indy styles and they're identical AFAIK

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4384 on: October 24, 2018, 09:08:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They're made custom for whatever trucks you ride. You pick what brand you want them made for before purchasing. (However, many brands use identical pivot cup size) I got ACE, Theeve and Indy styles and they're identical AFAIK

Haha identical AF?? Horny AF?

I decided to go back to my thunder 148 ti lights and damn the ace aftermarket lows fit perfect in them!

I usually don’t like straying away from stock cause if it’s made that way and tested and proven to work why “fix” it but I’m getting old and need any extra help and cylinder bushings help me a lot

They don’t turn well unless you have soft duro but I need that stable center to get an easier pop

The ace 44 classics were fun and all but a little on the weight and unstable side

The instability makes them fun but I kinda wanna get serious again and have consistent tre flips with less effort(I.e. the weight reduction and lower height=more control) and get some street tech going on

Flip tricks and ledges for days cause I think it’s whats cool and wanna do that
yes

ballintoohard

« Reply #4385 on: October 24, 2018, 09:11:42 PM »
Measured Indy Stage 11 and Ace on the same deck- Indy wheelbase is .25 longer. Now it's fuckin with my head which one I like more. The stability of the 149 over the 44's is somewhat noticeable, but I swear any board I ride Ace on gets way less wheelbite.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #4386 on: October 25, 2018, 04:12:20 AM »
Measured Indy Stage 11 and Ace on the same deck- Indy wheelbase is .25 longer. Now it's fuckin with my head which one I like more. The stability of the 149 over the 44's is somewhat noticeable, but I swear any board I ride Ace on gets way less wheelbite.
Thank you very much. I just received a message that my local has my 44’s ready to pick up, I asked few weeks ago if I should extend my wheelbase coming from indies and everyone said they’re the same...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4387 on: October 25, 2018, 06:55:41 AM »
Expand Quote
identical AFAIK
[close]
Haha identical AF?? Horny AF?
AFAIK = As Far As I Know

melkmelkme

• Rep: -1
« Reply #4388 on: October 25, 2018, 04:50:13 PM »
I just slowly tighten them up and skate 51's....

It's crossed my mind to run a hard bottom med top maybe?

I go hard bottom and medium top, love it.

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #4389 on: October 25, 2018, 05:13:09 PM »
Expand Quote
I just slowly tighten them up and skate 51's....

It's crossed my mind to run a hard bottom med top maybe?
[close]

I go hard bottom and medium top, love it.

you dont need to share ur kinks with everyone haha

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4390 on: October 25, 2018, 05:56:10 PM »
Man am I glad they came out with 8.25 thunders and Indy

After some kooking around with the setup as daily I’ve noticed so far I like the stability but with a smaller board

I prefer 8-8.1 and 8.25 trucks are amazing

Especially how light the thunder ti lights are

I weighed them on a digital scale and man it was scary crazy, they’re lighter than 145 lights but they’re bigger which is funky

Thunder titanium’s aren’t a gimmick I guess
yes

Fredonskateboard

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4391 on: October 26, 2018, 02:45:56 AM »
Its only the axle thats titanium.
The hollows arent that much heavier?
But ye, considering how rarly one break the trucks, "investing" in some expensive trucks doesnt really matter much

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #4392 on: October 27, 2018, 04:48:52 AM »
But ye, considering how rarly one break the trucks, "investing" in some expensive trucks doesnt really matter much
But having the axle made out of a harder metal = less likely that you're bolt will get stuck from primo landings fucking up the threads.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4393 on: October 27, 2018, 07:10:13 AM »
Riptide pivot cups arrived yesterday.  They're clearly far superior in terms of quality.  Installing them the trucks seem a little bit snappier returning to center and the turn is more controllable. 

They're not going to change your life but you could blind fold me and I would easily be able to tell the difference between these and stock.

They're also silent so if squeaky trucks bother you, these will solve that completely.

Note that these are NEW Indy pivot cups in the pics and they come looking like they were chewed up by a rottweiler

hey pickle

« Reply #4394 on: October 27, 2018, 12:41:36 PM »
you vs. the pivot cup she tells you not to worry about

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4395 on: October 27, 2018, 04:30:20 PM »
My girl uses that one :

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #4396 on: October 28, 2018, 06:33:10 AM »
Riptide pivot cups arrived yesterday.  They're clearly far superior in terms of quality.  Installing them the trucks seem a little bit snappier returning to center and the turn is more controllable. 

They're not going to change your life but you could blind fold me and I would easily be able to tell the difference between these and stock.

They're also silent so if squeaky trucks bother you, these will solve that completely.

Note that these are NEW Indy pivot cups in the pics and they come looking like they were chewed up by a rottweiler

That is disturbing

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #4397 on: October 28, 2018, 10:11:05 AM »
This is my current problem. I love the way aces skate but I prefer a wider truck for the stability. You’re not crazy about the less wheelbite. Aces are just better in that regard. I’m mostly skating my 55s on a 1991 polar at the moment but have some 44s on an 8.5 for when I get that itch. I settled on 14.25 wheelbase last year on Indy TiTs. But the 14.5 wheelbase on the polar doesn’t give me any problems with aces.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #4398 on: October 29, 2018, 06:09:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That is disturbing

They look good, but I don't think I could handle teal pivot cups.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4399 on: October 29, 2018, 06:45:48 PM »
you really dont notice them, ive got a lime green set in mine and they dont stick out one bit

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #4400 on: October 29, 2018, 09:08:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
But having the axle made out of a harder metal = less likely that you're bolt will get stuck from primo landings fucking up the threads.
I've seen sparks on primos with the ti thunders and never had any axle related issues.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #4401 on: October 29, 2018, 09:16:51 PM »
Riptide pivot cups arrived yesterday.  They're clearly far superior in terms of quality.

Me as a heavy ass skater that little change to my trucks, going to riptide's pivot cups from stock ones, were a gae changer. My Ace feel like a freaking dream. The snap back into place faster and smoother. I'll see if they last a while or die just as fast as the rest.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #4402 on: October 30, 2018, 06:04:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Riptide pivot cups arrived yesterday.  They're clearly far superior in terms of quality.
[close]

Me as a heavy ass skater that little change to my trucks, going to riptide's pivot cups from stock ones, were a gae changer. My Ace feel like a freaking dream. The snap back into place faster and smoother. I'll see if they last a while or die just as fast as the rest.

Ordered them too, for Venture 5.2 Low Trucks. Will report back.

Currently on Bones Bushings but maybe switching to stock Venture bottom and top Bones.

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #4403 on: October 30, 2018, 10:40:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ordered them too, for Venture 5.2 Low Trucks. Will report back.

Currently on Bones Bushings but maybe switching to stock Venture bottom and top Bones.

Do yourself and favor and switch to Indy Ultra Soft 78A bushings. They are a fucking game changer for Ventures and they only cost 4-6$, so well worth taking a chance on. You won't regret it.

Edit: I meant 78A, the white ones.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 10:45:00 AM by TheVisitor »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4404 on: November 01, 2018, 06:23:46 PM »
CALLING J...SOY....!!!

Or anyone that has a pair of theeve TIH 5.5

Got a pair for sale??
yes

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4405 on: November 02, 2018, 07:05:52 AM »
CALLING J...SOY....!!!

Got a pair for sale??

Have a pair - not for sale  :P they truly are sticky on metal and slick on 'crete if that's what yer wondering - I use em for my rain/curb setup

doublesteveburger

« Reply #4406 on: November 02, 2018, 12:02:13 PM »
What’s the most affordable way to ship trucks? I have quite a few up for sale but don’t really know how I’d ship them without it being costly to the customer.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #4407 on: November 02, 2018, 01:33:42 PM »
CALLING J...SOY....!!!

Got a pair for sale??

Just....sold em....$50 USD but I have a homie who has a set.  His are the 8.5's though I think.  I can check.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #4408 on: November 02, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »
Anyone have luck mixing soft and medium bones bushings? 

Picked up some Indy 169's and all I could get were bones soft.  A little too soft on 169's.  So the mediums arrived.

Medium on the bottom, soft on top?  Maybe just use the tops to lower them a touch? 

Or do I just get fatter and ride the mediums.

$14 for pivot cups seems crazy.  But the stock ones are junk.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #4409 on: November 02, 2018, 07:14:00 PM »
Anyone have luck mixing soft and medium bones bushings? 

Picked up some Indy 169's and all I could get were bones soft.  A little too soft on 169's.  So the mediums arrived.

Medium on the bottom, soft on top?  Maybe just use the tops to lower them a touch? 

Or do I just get fatter and ride the mediums.

$14 for pivot cups seems crazy.  But the stock ones are junk.

I do this all the time, and the Ace bushings I use now are like that normally. I'm a sucker for a soft bottom and medium to hard top (especially on high trucks), but I've also had luck with that reversed (especially on low trucks).

Do yourself a favor and try the Ace bushings and get some of their pivot cups as well for like $1.50. With shipping it will probably be the price of a set of riptides.