Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1230815 times)

rosemaryBB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 33
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4440 on: November 15, 2018, 04:51:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Who here's got the most frankensteined trucks? Curious about what ppl's experience is in this.
[close]
Theeve TiAX hangar $50
ACE Magnesium baselplates $20?
Bones mediums $12
Krux downlow kingpins $8
Riptide pivot cups $15
[close]

how much did this cost and do you think it was worth it?
[close]
I guess the total would come out to about $100 if you got all the parts at once - I would totally do it again (good luck finding ACE mag plates), its a nice unique feeling turn, and you can't get any lighter other than putting a TiH hanger -which I did try, but didn't like the way TiH sticks on metal.

this setup sounds sick. do the regular TiAX hangers grind decently?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4441 on: November 16, 2018, 06:53:20 AM »
this setup sounds sick. do the regular TiAX hangers grind decently?
Very much

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #4442 on: November 16, 2018, 08:15:12 AM »
It's been a bit so.....

The ACE baseplates alleviate those pesky markings that prevent everyone from skating the trucks... You know...the THEEVE.....

ballintoohard

« Reply #4443 on: November 16, 2018, 10:33:11 AM »
So I got some Ace Low and High bushings for my Indy Stage XI. I had read to use the tall lower bushing and low upper, but when I put the bushings next to one another, the Ace Low were the closest thing to the Indy size. The tall Ace lower bushing was way larger than the Indy. Do the bushings really compress that much?

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #4444 on: November 16, 2018, 03:54:56 PM »
I noticed something the other day.  On Theeve trucks, the hanger dick that fucks the pivot cup is girthier than other brands.

That must be why they bind up and run out of travel.

Krux supposedly have a similar behavior.  Based on their pivot cups I would guess that they get the binding by having a longer hanger dick than other trucks.

I don't believe the oval hole in Theeve's yoke affects how they turn, but it is sorta nice in that it marks up you bushings so you can tell how they were oriented if you take em apart and put em back together.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4445 on: November 17, 2018, 01:02:05 AM »

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #4446 on: November 17, 2018, 01:02:22 AM »
Thinking about downsizing the width of my setup at the beginning of the year. Unfortunately that means dropping form my ace 44’s to 33’s.
I have also contemplated going back to thunder hi’s
Anyone know if a krux downlow kingpin will fit in thunders?

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #4447 on: November 17, 2018, 01:41:58 AM »
Expand Quote
hanger dick
[close]
Hahaha yes, I’m starting to call pivot hanger dick from now on 😂😂
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #4448 on: November 17, 2018, 02:47:09 AM »
Thinking about downsizing the width of my setup at the beginning of the year. Unfortunately that means dropping form my ace 44’s to 33’s.

What size are you thinking about going down to? I have a friend that skates 8.125 on 44s and it's pretty flush, could probably run them on 8 inch boards without it looking weird. The 44s are quite versatile.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #4449 on: November 17, 2018, 02:51:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What size are you thinking about going down to? I have a friend that skates 8.125 on 44s and it's pretty flush, could probably run them on 8 inch boards without it looking weird. The 44s are quite versatile.
Probably stepping down to 8.06

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #4450 on: November 17, 2018, 02:53:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I see, honestly don't think 44s will be a problem on that. Also, I had krux inverted pins in thunder 149 standards and it worked fine.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #4451 on: November 17, 2018, 05:40:48 AM »
So I got some Ace Low and High bushings for my Indy Stage XI. I had read to use the tall lower bushing and low upper, but when I put the bushings next to one another, the Ace Low were the closest thing to the Indy size. The tall Ace lower bushing was way larger than the Indy. Do the bushings really compress that much?

They don't compress really, just use the low ones in Indy.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4452 on: November 17, 2018, 07:51:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I see, honestly don't think 44s will be a problem on that. Also, I had krux inverted pins in thunder 149 standards and it worked fine.

Nah....if you're in the truck thread.....44's on an 8.06....NEVER....they are like 8 3/8 hangers...

I have the krux kingpin on my team hollows.....they are regular ones though...I suspect the highs would work if you get the cast baseplates.....

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #4453 on: November 17, 2018, 04:36:44 PM »
Some frakensteined trucks I’ve cobbled together have been great while most of them have been dogshit- like the venture baseplate and kingpin with Bam Destructro hanger for my back truck. The hanger was Hi and as it was back hanger that I was replacing, my board resembled a drag racer.

My usual truck set up (current and for the last 7 years or so) has been:

Thunder 149’s

Immediately replace the bushings with Bones medium- I swear by these and for years would categorically not even consider riding anything else. However as others mentioned here they do seem to blow out, or rather blow in, in that the yellow plastic gets impacted into the main piece after a few months of skating.

If the Thunder’s I buy don’t come with a hollow kingpin I will replace the Kingpin with a hollow one.

Whether my switch to medium bushings, wider trucks and increased looseness directly contributed to my progression in skating I do not know but that’s the way it is in my head. Possibly because that time period I came to this truck setup was also a time in which I was skating for hours every day without fail and thus I got better at it.

Anyway I’m currently riding 149 thunder hollow kingpins (no hollow axle :( are they still a thing in thunder trucks?) Chris Miller model that seems to be low as, with an 8inch Armanto Birdhouse. The wheels don’t stick out that much but it’s defo strange when I step in someone else’s deck and I can’t even glimpse the wheels.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

exiled

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4454 on: November 17, 2018, 08:20:31 PM »
Skated the Riptide pivot cups today. The hanger definitely bounces back smoother now and they do effect the feel of everything slightly.

The stock Indy cups that came with my trucks didn't seem to be as shitty as the ones posted above. The material on the stock ones is a harder plastic... the Riptides are a softer, bouncier urethane.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #4455 on: November 17, 2018, 08:31:35 PM »
Skated the Riptide pivot cups today. The hanger definitely bounces back smoother now and they do effect the feel of everything slightly.

The stock Indy cups that came with my trucks didn't seem to be as shitty as the ones posted above. The material on the stock ones is a harder plastic... the Riptides are a softer, bouncier urethane.

good or bad?

exiled

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4456 on: November 17, 2018, 09:21:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
good or bad?

I like them so far on my cruiser. They'd be good on a regular setup too. They get rid of that sloppy feeling you get sometimes... Turns feel more responsive.

Worth the 15 bucks or whatever they cost.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 09:24:24 PM by exiled »

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #4457 on: November 19, 2018, 07:00:48 AM »
I'm gonna keep reading this thread but nothing will convince me to spend $15 on pivot cups. Recently went up in board sizes so I switched from Thunder 147s to 148 Team Hollows. Skating them stock and they are perfect. They're noticeably less squirrelly and less wheelbitey than 147s for sure. Anyone on the fence about 147 vs 148 I say go 148 because they really do bring in some welcome stability and a little extra height without sacrificing that quick Thunder feel.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4458 on: November 19, 2018, 09:04:45 AM »
It's pretty early in the game dude......

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4459 on: November 19, 2018, 08:12:51 PM »
I'm gonna keep reading this thread but nothing will convince me to spend $15 on pivot cups. Recently went up in board sizes so I switched from Thunder 147s to 148 Team Hollows. Skating them stock and they are perfect. They're noticeably less squirrelly and less wheelbitey than 147s for sure. Anyone on the fence about 147 vs 148 I say go 148 because they really do bring in some welcome stability and a little extra height without sacrificing that quick Thunder feel.

I knew I wasn’t losing it more than I already have with trucks when I read this

I was loving my 148 and considered going back down since I wanna down size boards but after that feedback I’ll stay with 148 for thunder

Still enjoying my 5.25 theeve tih just with I had the 5.5...
yes

ballintoohard

« Reply #4460 on: November 20, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »
Can someone confirm what Ace bushings they're actually running in Indys? Both measure 2mm shorter or taller, which if you want to believe the Bones/Thunder mismatch would ruin the pivot cup and change the hanger yoke angle. With the tall lower and short upper the yoke seems to get stuck and not return to center. With the short upper and lower it does the same, but less so. Might just get the red Indy aftermarket.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1002
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4461 on: November 20, 2018, 01:35:13 PM »
Can someone confirm what Ace bushings they're actually running in Indys? Both measure 2mm shorter or taller, which if you want to believe the Bones/Thunder mismatch would ruin the pivot cup and change the hanger yoke angle. With the tall lower and short upper the yoke seems to get stuck and not return to center. With the short upper and lower it does the same, but less so. Might just get the red Indy aftermarket.

I'm running the NEW ACE LOW bushings in 149 Indy TI.

The ACE (lo) top bushings is the exact same size (if it isn't I can't tell) as the STOCK indys (aftermarket indy tops are taller, hell if I know why).

The ACE (lo) bottoms are just a hair shorter than stock indy bottoms, you have to squint to see it (you can actually feel the difference if you put both bushings side by side and put your finger (or thumpad) over the top of them); the height difference is probably ~than 1mm, if that.

Best feeling Indy's I've ever ridden this side of the S2 / S5. The bushings make a world of difference and the aftermarket indys dont' even come close, even if you mix match duros to get as close as you can to the ACEs.

Fredonskateboard

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4462 on: November 21, 2018, 01:18:12 AM »
I've been thinking about buying some new Thunder Titanium Lights 149s on Black Friday, so that I can size up to a 8,3-8,5 board. But I see theres Titanium lights 3, and just regular titanium lights. Any special difference?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4463 on: November 21, 2018, 04:09:39 AM »
I've been thinking about buying some new Thunder Titanium Lights 149s on Black Friday, so that I can size up to a 8,3-8,5 board. But I see theres Titanium lights 3, and just regular titanium lights. Any special difference?

Same thing.  The only ones that are different are the team titaniums which have a 1mm taller cast baseplate

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4464 on: November 21, 2018, 06:35:29 AM »
how are the stock black bushings in models like the reynolds indys? are they as shitty as the orange ones? would be nice if they didn’t need to be swapped out.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #4465 on: November 21, 2018, 09:48:30 AM »
I just want to give a huge shout out to Destructo, I was just browsing around and accidentally bought two sets of sale trucks, with extra 20% from a code I stumbled on in the sale gear thread.

One of the trucks was out, and he asked if he could replace them, I asked with what, cause that pair had mag plates so I said that was what I wanted, so he hooked me up with a nnew set of trucks with mag plates and hollow kingpins.

As I said they were on sale, 29 dollars, and I had 20% extra, and this guy still hooks it up, gnars to Destructo!

I know someone here skates them, which ones do you ride?

Tally810

• Rep: -9
« Reply #4466 on: November 24, 2018, 09:28:23 PM »
Broke down and got some riptide pivot cups and so far so good.  It seems to make the bounce back of the truck more fluid and consistent. 

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #4467 on: November 24, 2018, 10:46:38 PM »
My truck madness has finally calmed down. I don't mind high trucks after spending time on big wheels (56 and up), all I need is Indy's slow turn. It makes up for my sloppiness and attempts as high speed skating.

Fredonskateboard

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4468 on: November 25, 2018, 08:04:41 AM »
Alrighty... So ive ordered a pair of Thunder 149s.
Plan was to just order some bones bushings straight away, cause I hate the stock ones as I weight 200lbs.
I read some shit on reddit that barrel/cylinder shaped bottom bushings are better than coned, cause its more progressive when leaning, compared to coned. Seems good for wheelbite prevention. Anyone tried this? Specificly, using indy barrel/cylinder bushings on thunders
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 08:06:22 AM by Fredonskateboard »

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4469 on: November 25, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »
Alrighty... So ive ordered a pair of Thunder 149s.
Plan was to just order some bones bushings straight away, cause I hate the stock ones as I weight 200lbs.
I read some shit on reddit that barrel/cylinder shaped bottom bushings are better than coned, cause its more progressive when leaning, compared to coned. Seems good for wheelbite prevention. Anyone tried this? Specificly, using indy barrel/cylinder bushings on thunders

I did they don't thurn as smooth as conical, barrel tend to snap back into place without actually turning at least in thunders...try thunder bushings, bones will blow out in less than a month.