Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231224 times)

Not Local

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4500 on: December 04, 2018, 09:17:07 PM »
Thunder 90a white bushings. Done.

Diocletian

« Reply #4501 on: December 05, 2018, 04:09:51 AM »

I would classify those as too soft. I weigh around 200lbs.

pauline_handsome

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #4502 on: December 05, 2018, 04:49:37 AM »
The black thunder bushings last forever and get softer over time. Get those.

Not Local

« Reply #4503 on: December 05, 2018, 10:02:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I weigh 198. I'd classify 90a bushings as good for you. I actually insist on it. Be well.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4504 on: December 05, 2018, 01:29:50 PM »
does anybody know the reason why ace chose to go with a softer bottom bushing and not the other way around?

SoapyEyes

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4505 on: December 05, 2018, 08:51:35 PM »
does anybody know the reason why ace chose to go with a softer bottom bushing and not the other way around?
I reckon a softer top bushing might blow out quicker? Idk just spitballing

hangontoyourego

« Reply #4506 on: December 05, 2018, 08:55:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I weigh 198. I'd classify 90a bushings as good for you. I actually insist on it. Be well.

I want to be classified.
I want to be masochistic,
I want to be a statistic.
I want to belong.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #4507 on: December 05, 2018, 11:11:43 PM »
How stiff do those Riptide pivot cups feel when compared to stock?

I've got Khiro in both soft and hard, and when you try to pinch them, the soft folds easily and the hard not at all.  Stock is much closer to the hard compound, but not as stiff.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4508 on: December 06, 2018, 12:17:23 PM »
How stiff do those Riptide pivot cups feel when compared to stock?

I've got Khiro in both soft and hard, and when you try to pinch them, the soft folds easily and the hard not at all.  Stock is much closer to the hard compound, but not as stiff.

When I pinch them, they fold, but not so flimsy to where you can close the mouth - they're noticeably softer than stock cups in the 96a formula

CoMpLeMenTs4Uonlysometime

« Reply #4509 on: December 07, 2018, 05:55:15 AM »
For thunders something that works for me and I've noticed is paying attention to the washers. Im 230lbs and I don't like tight trucks. Also bones never work in thunders for me in fact thunder or independent aftermarket bushings, depending on which truck im using, are my preference for upgrades over bones in any truck. I purchased 100 duro thunder bushings, normally I would go with 90a straight replacement. But I found 100a bushings paired with flat lipless washers like bones washers or anything from a hardware store works flawlessly. With regular washers the bushings are classic too tight way too hard barely turning. But without the lip they become very twitchy and loose off the start which is already what thunders are loved for. But if you try to dive and wheelbite it becomes harder and harder (more progressive) because of how hard the bushing is at 100a. Once they wear in it becomes really great. It's like having the twitchy feeling of no bottom washer but there's something solid there if you lose control and dig weight into the bushings they won't just completely bottom they resist you so you aren't so squirrely. This may not make sense I dunno.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4510 on: December 07, 2018, 11:11:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Softer bottom nets you a deeper fast turn, hard tops will offer a quicker snap back to center (more rebound).

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
« Reply #4511 on: December 11, 2018, 02:00:22 PM »
i have a lil question

the board i'm skating right now has a 14 1/4 wheelbase but with my next deck i'm changing the trucks to aces from thunders and i'm not too sure if i should stick with the same wb because afaik aces shorten the wheelbase, and i want the setup to feel as similar to my current one as possible so i don't have to adjust too much. is the difference really noticeable? i ride my trucks pretty loose (front truck wiggly, back truck is slightly tighter) and i have cruised for a while on my friends set-up with ace trucks and it felt pretty comfortable so i'm pretty sure that the trucks aren't really going to bother me too much, but then again i only did some ollies and rock to fakies on it so i might be wrong. has anybody here switched from thunders to aces?
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4512 on: December 11, 2018, 05:17:22 PM »
I changed from Thunder to Ace and I defs noticed the difference in w/b but then again I also downsized w/b too so who knows?
It's an easy transition though and my pop/ timing didn't suffer like when I went from indy to thunder

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #4513 on: December 16, 2018, 06:34:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Softer bottom nets you a deeper fast turn, hard tops will offer a quicker snap back to center (more rebound).
it also feels much more balanced. with a conical top, barrel bottom setup where the durometer is the same, the top bushing is softer because of the shape, making the turn feel clunky. you feel like you're turning only with the top bushing most of the time. if the bottom bushing is softer, the turn feels smoother and you can turn deeper more easily. basically the turn of conical bushings mixed with the stability of barrel bushings. best of both worlds.

plasticsurgerydisasters

• Rep: -2
« Reply #4514 on: December 16, 2018, 08:48:30 AM »
so i’ve been skating a set of raw 159s for a little
but now and both of the pivot cups are blown out and now the kingpins are loose and wobbly. should I just get the stock replacements or is there worthy upgrades? do the krux kingpins I keep hearing about work on indy’s?

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4515 on: December 16, 2018, 09:51:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
it also feels much more balanced. with a conical top, barrel bottom setup where the durometer is the same, the top bushing is softer because of the shape, making the turn feel clunky. you feel like you're turning only with the top bushing most of the time. if the bottom bushing is softer, the turn feels smoother and you can turn deeper more easily. basically the turn of conical bushings mixed with the stability of barrel bushings. best of both worlds.
this makes sense. thanks

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #4516 on: December 16, 2018, 06:15:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
#SCIENCE
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #4517 on: December 17, 2018, 08:36:05 PM »
so i’ve been skating a set of raw 159s for a little
but now and both of the pivot cups are blown out and now the kingpins are loose and wobbly. should I just get the stock replacements or is there worthy upgrades? do the krux kingpins I keep hearing about work on indy’s?

Krux kingpins work on newer Indy’s if you use some J&B weld to secure the nut in the baseplate. Direct fit in the stage 7s I have. Do not work in stage 6 - too short.

I used the J&B on my Mini Logos tonight. Will assemble tomorrow. Hopefully all is good.

New Indy base plates are $6 each at Tactics which is about the same price as Krux kingpins. Add in $8 for the J&B.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 08:41:39 PM by backinaction »

Diocletian

« Reply #4518 on: December 18, 2018, 09:39:03 PM »
I was pondering...I’ve never skated painted trucks. I notice some truck co’s have anodized versions while others have a matte paint coating. Anyone notice any differences in grind between those two and raw? 

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4519 on: December 19, 2018, 09:03:50 PM »
I was pondering...I’ve never skated painted trucks. I notice some truck co’s have anodized versions while others have a matte paint coating. Anyone notice any differences in grind between those two and raw?

For the first maybe 3 grinds or less the painted trucks do feel slightly smoother for a second then after that they’re basically the same as a raw

Raws are usually polished but yeah, maybe if it’s a thick coat of paint and you wax the truck then maybe they’ll grind a raw parking block better than a raw truck could but what really matters isn’t paint but the metal used

Titanium trucks(theeve tih really only) I’ve noticed can’t grind on metal well but slide like butter on concrete

And the best grinds I’ve felt but don’t last was on magnesium

Tensor mag lows back when round 3 and fully flared were the essential skate vids to watch

I know there’s other videos equally or better at the time but those 2 videos are what sold all the almost decks, tensor trucks, girl decks, royal trucks and Lakai shoes

Yeah I know that generation of us skaters were kinda trash cause all we wanted to do was replicate our fave pros and did a bunch of flip tricks trying to be the next Rodney Mullen or daewon
yes

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #4520 on: December 20, 2018, 09:16:44 AM »
Did indy ever released trucks with hollow kingin and solid hangers? Like the v-lights or thunder lights.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4521 on: December 20, 2018, 10:01:50 AM »
Did indy ever released trucks with hollow kingin and solid hangers? Like the v-lights or thunder lights.

Not that I know of, except for the TI versions but those are not standards; I had a set of GT Indys that were cast/solid Kingpin with hollow axles . Odd combo.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #4522 on: December 20, 2018, 10:07:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not that I know of, except for the TI versions but those are not standards; I had a set of GT Indys that were cast/solid Kingpin with hollow axles . Odd combo.
Very strange.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #4523 on: December 20, 2018, 10:07:51 AM »
I have hollow indy 149s with stock bushings. They are both blown out. Wondering what the best/easiest to break in bushing to replace them with? Bones? I ride pretty loose trucks.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4524 on: December 20, 2018, 10:08:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm trying out the Ti Indys 149 with 6 hole baseplate and solid steel pins because I don't like the feel of hollow stuff sometimes

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #4525 on: December 20, 2018, 10:15:22 AM »
I have hollow indy 149s with stock bushings. They are both blown out. Wondering what the best/easiest to break in bushing to replace them with? Bones? I ride pretty loose trucks.
I just ride standard 149s, and the top bushing always gets blown out. Good thing I have another set of Indys. Also, the last two sets of bones I had were trash in a week.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #4526 on: December 20, 2018, 08:50:29 PM »
I use to ride bones mediums but they blew out too easy, people say hards are good but need some breaking in...I’ve been on indy aftermarket ones lately and dem good, much better urethane than the stock ones and they come in many different duros.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Diocletian

« Reply #4527 on: December 22, 2018, 09:57:03 PM »
Anyone know the best way to remove a logo from a hanger? The hanger being raw, there’s just painted graphics on a couple spots. I thought sanding it could work but then the two spots would look crappy and scratched up compared to the rest of the raw hanger. Or would scrubbing with an acetone cloth work better? All feedback appreciated.

Not Local

« Reply #4528 on: December 22, 2018, 10:03:25 PM »
You're worried about your trucks looking scratched?

I'm worried about your trucks not looking scratched enough.

I'm worried about you. 

Not Local

« Reply #4529 on: December 22, 2018, 10:06:00 PM »
I can't handle this shit anymore. Diocletian, I have to focus myself after reading that nonsense.