Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1233133 times)

Bumpovertrash

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4560 on: January 01, 2019, 09:05:40 PM »
i just replaced my thunder pivot cups with indy ones but they fit in thwre good and now my truck dosnt pop out

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4561 on: January 03, 2019, 12:35:15 PM »
What durometer are stock Thunder bushings? Also what bushings would work to make them loose? I like Aces with stock bushings (after break in) and Ventures with Indy super softs. Gotta have that play in the middle to be able to steer easily while pushing.

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #4562 on: January 03, 2019, 12:49:47 PM »
90. I don’t understand what you’re asking. You want to make thunders with conical bushings turn and react like all the other truck brands with barrels? Don’t ride thunders 🤷‍♂️.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #4563 on: January 03, 2019, 01:42:08 PM »
I recently got the tensors all terrain geometry. They ride pretty nice as far as I have seen. I was expecting them to give a shorter wheelbase but they are similar to indy.

Coming in hot with that first post.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4564 on: January 03, 2019, 08:56:02 PM »
90. I don’t understand what you’re asking. You want to make thunders with conical bushings turn and react like all the other truck brands with barrels? Don’t ride thunders 🤷‍♂️.

I've never ridden Thunders and I want to test them out. In general I like a looser truck so I'd like to have that on Thunders as well. Of course they're gonna be different than other trucks, that's why I want to try them out. Just trying to figure out how to achieve that easy turning in the middle with Thunders.

eight two fives

« Reply #4565 on: January 04, 2019, 08:22:41 AM »
I just don’t see the point in “trying something” but immediately changing them to be something else.

ged frall

• Rep: -3
« Reply #4566 on: January 04, 2019, 08:33:04 AM »
thunders will still have a different geometry and feel to other trucks even if you tinker with the bushings. not sure why youre (eight two fives) giving him (roisto) such a hard time..

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4567 on: January 04, 2019, 08:45:39 AM »
I think it's basically impossible to get a loose, surfy turn out of thunders.  you can loosen them to the point where it will just be instant wheelbite but that's about it.  The best bushings in thunders are the stock bushings, unless you want something harder.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4568 on: January 04, 2019, 09:37:18 AM »
Thanks guys. It’s not like I need new trucks. Just bored cuz I can’t skate as much as I’d like so had the bright idea of buying more skate stuff and Thunders are something I’m interested in trying out at some point in my life. Not expecting to get a surfy turn from them but I do like that loose middle which works great on Ventures at least even though they don’t turn much when stock.

Anyway, I guess I’ll save my money and do something more useful for now. 😊

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4569 on: January 04, 2019, 11:57:16 AM »
Thunders are all about the twitch....the first 15 degrees comes so easily....then they stabilize aka stop turning.  Also the height, weight, geometry, and appearance make your board feel less clunky which translates to some degree to a more responsive set up.

I think if you love to carve...ace or Indy.....but if you skate street and parks....thunders. Or just set up another board.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4570 on: January 04, 2019, 12:45:44 PM »
I think it's basically impossible to get a loose, surfy turn out of thunders.  you can loosen them to the point where it will just be instant wheelbite but that's about it.  The best bushings in thunders are the stock bushings, unless you want something harder.

Agreed. Loose thunders are just that, loose thunders - you can't achieve the same level of surfy you can with ACE or Indy or Theeve because they're two different styles of geo:

\  \                     (  (
/  /                      )  )
\  \         vs         (  (         
/  /                      )  )

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4571 on: January 04, 2019, 01:40:06 PM »
I actually liked thunders on ramp because they don't carve well....

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #4572 on: January 04, 2019, 01:52:55 PM »
I actually liked thunders on ramp because they don't carve well....

I have a set of Krux that I thought about putting on a deck just to skate ramps for that exact reason.  I skated them twice in a bowl and said fuck these.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4573 on: January 04, 2019, 02:50:06 PM »
Thunders are all about the twitch....the first 15 degrees comes so easily....then they stabilize aka stop turning.  Also the height, weight, geometry, and appearance make your board feel less clunky which translates to some degree to a more responsive set up.

I think if you love to carve...ace or Indy.....but if you skate street and parks....thunders. Or just set up another board.

I already have six set ups.  :-[

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #4574 on: January 04, 2019, 03:12:10 PM »
I’ve seen it somewhere here before...just got some Wes kremer 159s and would like remove the iron cross on the hanger - best product? Paint thinner to strong?

Thanks!

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4575 on: January 04, 2019, 03:21:56 PM »
Paint thinner, acetone, I use this spray on paint remover thing.

Seeing that it’s small maybe even just try a razor and pick away at it

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #4576 on: January 04, 2019, 03:47:36 PM »
thanks! Scraping sounds like the perfect stoned activity.

ohnowisee

• Rep: -2
« Reply #4577 on: January 04, 2019, 04:04:25 PM »
I recently got the tensors all terrain geometry. They ride pretty nice as far as I have seen. I was expecting them to give a shorter wheelbase but they are similar to indy.

I just had tensors but switched to try out Krux just because I've never had a pair of either in 20 years and I actually kind of miss my tensors a bit, but I'll probably go back to thunders after all is said and done.
Ilford is way more core than Kodak - natenola forever

ged frall

• Rep: -3
« Reply #4578 on: January 05, 2019, 02:01:42 AM »
I’ve seen it somewhere here before...just got some Wes kremer 159s and would like remove the iron cross on the hanger - best product? Paint thinner to strong?

Thanks!

i used griptape to scratch off kostons name on a pair of indys - took it off with ease and came out clean

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4579 on: January 11, 2019, 11:13:00 AM »
Has anyone had success moving up in truck size, with lighter material trucks? As an example: normally skating 139s, but skating 149s in a hollow/to and having positive results. Mainly interested in hearing anyone’s opinion on width vs weight. I have an easier time on 159s vs 149s, but trying to get some flippy floppy back

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4580 on: January 11, 2019, 11:24:02 AM »
Has anyone had success moving up in truck size, with lighter material trucks? As an example: normally skating 139s, but skating 149s in a hollow/to and having positive results. Mainly interested in hearing anyone’s opinion on width vs weight. I have an easier time on 159s vs 149s, but trying to get some flippy floppy back

Chico Brenes

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #4581 on: January 11, 2019, 12:02:22 PM »

Went from standard Thunder 147s to Thunder 148 Team Hollows and quite enjoying the extra width without the extra weight. I think they might actually be lighter. Since they have the cast plates I see no drawback from the standards. Hollow kingpins and axles are nice and light and have never seemed any less durable to me.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4582 on: January 11, 2019, 01:08:30 PM »
At the point of sizing up trucks you're sizing up board etc too so it's gonna have a different feel but yes, I think it makes sense to try and lighten up.  i sized up to a 148 thunder too and love em... I think with Indy they can feel a bit clunky so shaving a bit off makes sense.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4583 on: January 11, 2019, 02:13:27 PM »
I've sized up from standard 139s, to hollow 139s to titanium 144s and its always been beneficial to go the lighter option for the bigger truck, even if its just the first time

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #4584 on: January 11, 2019, 02:40:46 PM »
I went from 147 lights to 148 hollow lights.
148 and up are also a little taller. I think I like taller trucks so I think ill get a 148 or 149 team edition for that 1mm taller height! Gotta get that extra pop

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4585 on: January 11, 2019, 11:43:33 PM »
Thanks for replies! (N+1)

Diocletian

« Reply #4586 on: January 12, 2019, 05:25:49 PM »
Any experienced Venture 5.8 Hi riders have input on how well they turn compared to Indy 149’s? Never ridden Ventures in my life and would be willing to try them if they work good loose and are able to carve. Thanks in advance.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4587 on: January 12, 2019, 05:58:02 PM »
Any experienced Venture 5.8 Hi riders have input on how well they turn compared to Indy 149’s? Never ridden Ventures in my life and would be willing to try them if they work good loose and are able to carve. Thanks in advance.

Ventures still feel nice and surfy. The stock bushings in the ventures are harder, though, so I would recommend getting something softer (supercush) if you want them to feel more like Indys.

I don't think anything turns as well as Indys, but Ventures come pretty close.

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #4588 on: January 12, 2019, 08:01:39 PM »
I like the ride Ventures very loose because they have kinda surfy turn but stable. Wheel bite is no issue for me either with 54mm wheels

eight two fives

« Reply #4589 on: January 12, 2019, 08:15:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ventures still feel nice and surfy. The stock bushings in the ventures are harder, though, so I would recommend getting something softer (supercush) if you want them to feel more like Indys.

I don't think anything turns as well as Indys, but Ventures come pretty close.
Stock bushings is ventures are the same Duro as stock indys. 90a. They will never turn as tight as indys because of the geometry, but they turn fine, and they’re stable.