Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231451 times)

144p

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4590 on: January 12, 2019, 09:45:37 PM »
Hmm, I find it odd that dlx would manufacture the same bushing in the same color and have it be a different duro.
The supercush dark purple are 97a, yellow Indy/supercush are 90a.
I don’t know for sure but having skated both in a set of Indy’s I can say the stock venture high bushings are indeed harder in a set of Indy’s than the stock yellow Indy bushings. I don’t have the proper equipment to measure their true durometer but they did not feel the same.

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #4591 on: January 12, 2019, 09:55:21 PM »
I emailed them like a year ago and that's what they told me. They're not 97s though, because I'm riding 94s in a set of thunders right now and those things are essentially rocks, and my ventures are way softer. I mean, they aren't putting the black 99 supercush in the all black ventures right?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 10:02:56 PM by eight two fives »

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4592 on: January 12, 2019, 11:25:24 PM »
I’m baaccckkkkk

Ever since having a car and doing more things haven’t been on my truck trip as much

Been just riding little old fun stuff to see what was it really like and here’s what I’ve been up to

Indy stage 10 149, damn these are freaking heavy but very much early 2000’s suited, they’re very low oddly compared to riding all these newer taller trucks lately. Legit if Indy is working on a 149 low it’s basically gonna be a re intro of the stage 10 149 standard cause yeah, these things are low and heavy but they definitely turn with the right conical bushings and flip super easy and fun. Not a lot of pop leverage obviously but you can totally jump down stuff and flip your board with that Indy turn style with the old stage, running them with the stock deck side washer with some very nicely old broken in bones hards and no roadside washer, so the nut is against the plastic and they turn great

Next up going back down to 147 thunders on a 8.25 girl deck, after skating with the 149 stage 10 I wanted to also revisit the days of riding smaller trucks on a bigger deck, the days before bigger trucks became the trend

I still love 148/144 and probably gonna go back to that after all this. Love thunder 148 on a 8.13 deck
yes

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #4593 on: January 13, 2019, 12:04:59 AM »
I’m baaccckkkkk

Ever since having a car and doing more things haven’t been on my truck trip as much

Been just riding little old fun stuff to see what was it really like and here’s what I’ve been up to

Indy stage 10 149, damn these are freaking heavy but very much early 2000’s suited, they’re very low oddly compared to riding all these newer taller trucks lately. Legit if Indy is working on a 149 low it’s basically gonna be a re intro of the stage 10 149 standard cause yeah, these things are low and heavy but they definitely turn with the right conical bushings and flip super easy and fun. Not a lot of pop leverage obviously but you can totally jump down stuff and flip your board with that Indy turn style with the old stage, running them with the stock deck side washer with some very nicely old broken in bones hards and no roadside washer, so the nut is against the plastic and they turn great

Next up going back down to 147 thunders on a 8.25 girl deck, after skating with the 149 stage 10 I wanted to also revisit the days of riding smaller trucks on a bigger deck, the days before bigger trucks became the trend

I still love 148/144 and probably gonna go back to that after all this. Love thunder 148 on a 8.13 deck

After taking some time away, I've realized that I don't like some truck setups as much as I thought.

149 cast thunders with risers and 57mm conicals? The perfect setup! Great pop and stability.

159 indys? Can't get along... we have unspoken issues. It seems that my dream girl has gotten fat and slow. The crazy thin, thunder chick wants me to move in with her.. I can see it ending in horrible wheelbite, but my heart says that we were meant for each other..

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #4594 on: January 13, 2019, 02:19:19 AM »
Been enjoying my Thunder titaniums 149 with forged baseplate. Been riding them with stock bushings. I always felt Thunder had the best stock bushings,but hated the white ones these titaniums came with. I use the transparent orange bushings from older thunders with Krux pivot cups and 1/8th riser. Feel so fucking good. The kingpin nut is flush. None of that fishy thread showing shit.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4595 on: January 13, 2019, 03:25:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Any experienced Venture 5.8 Hi riders have input on how well they turn compared to Indy 149’s? Never ridden Ventures in my life and would be willing to try them if they work good loose and are able to carve. Thanks in advance.
[close]

Ventures still feel nice and surfy. The stock bushings in the ventures are harder, though, so I would recommend getting something softer (supercush) if you want them to feel more like Indys.

I don't think anything turns as well as Indys, but Ventures come pretty close.

Aces turn better than Indys for sure.

As for the Venture 5.8s. They turn nice for how much they turn but after that they don't really turn deeper at all. Kind of a shallow nice turn but lacking that depth to make them awesome. I've got Indy 78A super soft bushings on mine and they're nice on a cruiser cruising down the streets but if you want to make tight turns with them, you're gonna have a bad time. Even with the Indy super softs with the nut flush it's not easy to wheelbite them with 54 mm wheels. You can do it but you've gone way past the "turn doesn't get any deeper anymore" point by then. I wouldn't say that they carve or are surfy at all even though the shallow turn is very nice on them. The pop on them is absolutely magical though.

Diocletian

« Reply #4596 on: January 13, 2019, 06:32:43 AM »
Thanks for all the Venture feedback. It sounds like they turn like Thunders but sit higher. My experience on Thunders was that they’re kinda quick for a sec, then they just can’t really get deep like Indy or Ace. They wheelbite so easily at that point. Seems like Ventures are like that minus the wheelbite part?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4597 on: January 13, 2019, 08:33:10 AM »
That sounds about right to me....

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #4598 on: January 13, 2019, 09:24:28 AM »
I guess. They aren't quick though. Just try them and I'll buy them when you hate them. Get 5.2 v-lights, thanks.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #4599 on: January 13, 2019, 10:09:55 AM »
I emailed them like a year ago and that's what they told me. They're not 97s though, because I'm riding 94s in a set of thunders right now and those things are essentially rocks, and my ventures are way softer. I mean, they aren't putting the black 99 supercush in the all black ventures right?
While I agree I’m assuming that batches can be off.
Maybe it was a hot day when I skated the venture bushings and cold when I skated the Indy ones.
I do remember nhs putting the extra hard yellow ones in the doom sayers indys, cause every set I sold they had to get new bushings. I suppose it’s case by case if they have a universal duro for the stock bushings even if it is an smu

HHH

• Rep: -4
« Reply #4600 on: January 13, 2019, 11:28:04 AM »
Regular indy 149's with the indy red conical bushings in the front. Doesn't feel much heavier than my previous set up with forged hollows. Picked up my friends board with hollow thunders and it was way lighter tho. However i don't see myself skating better or popping higher with lighter trucks. Tiago lemos has the highest pop and he skates regular indy's. Can't wait till these are nice and grinded down tho, with broken in bushings.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4601 on: January 13, 2019, 01:33:48 PM »
Figured this is a good place to ask, being so long between new sets of trucks, breaking them in is a pain in the ass but do any of you guys have issues getting distance on grinds on new sets? it's this one curb in particular that im sticking on but prior to the new trucks it glided like butter

ged frall

• Rep: -3
« Reply #4602 on: January 13, 2019, 01:43:37 PM »
Regular indy 149's with the indy red conical bushings in the front. Doesn't feel much heavier than my previous set up with forged hollows. Picked up my friends board with hollow thunders and it was way lighter tho. However i don't see myself skating better or popping higher with lighter trucks. Tiago lemos has the highest pop and he skates regular indy's. Can't wait till these are nice and grinded down tho, with broken in bushings.

tiago skates hollow forged 139's FWIW

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4603 on: January 13, 2019, 06:08:18 PM »
 it's been proven on slap that he's genetically a lemur as well....

HHH

• Rep: -4
« Reply #4604 on: January 14, 2019, 07:47:41 AM »
Figured this is a good place to ask, being so long between new sets of trucks, breaking them in is a pain in the ass but do any of you guys have issues getting distance on grinds on new sets? it's this one curb in particular that im sticking on but prior to the new trucks it glided like butter

Totally, my new indy's are being sticky on granith as well as on rails.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4605 on: January 14, 2019, 12:14:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Totally, my new indy's are being sticky on granith as well as on rails.

Grind red curbs, get a brick and grind down the curb in question, or, go faster!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:19:25 AM by Xen »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #4606 on: January 15, 2019, 03:07:11 AM »

i presume old worn in grooves would help grinds much better. on my old thunders the groove was so deep from skating tranny i'd just lock the fuck in and be stuck there which was great for transition but awful on street ledges as i'd always slip into the groove and fuck up basic tricks. was trying 5050 nollie back 180 on this 3 stair ledge for a solid hour on the old ones and couldn't make it, bought a new set of thunders and done it in a few tries the next day. when i got a new set i basically just 5050d this one curb for like an hour straight to get some wear on them, just keep the slappies up and wear the fuckers in.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4607 on: January 15, 2019, 10:18:32 AM »
Expand Quote
I’m baaccckkkkk

[close]

After taking some time away, I've realized that I don't like some truck setups as much as I thought.

149 cast thunders with risers and 57mm conicals? The perfect setup! Great pop and stability.

159 indys? Can't get along... we have unspoken issues. It seems that my dream girl has gotten fat and slow. The crazy thin, thunder chick wants me to move in with her.. I can see it ending in horrible wheelbite, but my heart says that we were meant for each other..

This, so much this. Great analogy.

I was back on Indys for a minute before I switched back to Thunders for that very reason; for me Thunders are just more nimble feeling at the cost of being surfy.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:22:56 AM by Xen »

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #4608 on: January 15, 2019, 06:28:12 PM »
So, I stripped the paint of my trucks and I’m not 100% feeling the unpolished metal. I want to return the luster Has anyone ever polished trucks? Should I just say screw it?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4609 on: January 15, 2019, 06:53:48 PM »
I’ve tried a few different options, none took well. Just more a smoother dulled metal look

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4610 on: January 16, 2019, 02:15:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m baaccckkkkk

[close]

[close]

I was back on Indys for a minute before I switched back to Thunders for that very reason; for me Thunders are just more nimble feeling at the cost of being surfy.

I like how thunders just respond and have your board do what you intended when trying a trick

Idk, they’re magical.

I love how Indy’s feel free flowing and just have this smoothness but idk, when you break the flow of just carving around and doing sub par stuff and try to get serious you REALLY gotta put some effort and oomph on it with Indy’s, you can’t slouch for a second cause you’ll get that sluggish heavy high truck feel from them. If your gonna try something in the realm that requires effort you really gotta put 100% of your energy and all with Indy

Thunders though I notice you can slack some cause they’re not too high so you get a quick pop, they’re light so you don’t have to try and pop hard, and they just stay centered and tight when you need to stay positioned for the trick

Only con though, they definitely can’t cruise Gonz style down the street well cause they’re so refined for trick response and lack carve ability

But hey I’d rather be able to land more tricks then be a terrible attempt at gonz and/or the pros that can just cruise down a sidewalk and rip(Vincent Alvarez, that guy on habitat, idk some pro you guys know that just style it out consistently down a sidewalk)
yes

ged frall

• Rep: -3
« Reply #4611 on: January 16, 2019, 02:33:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m baaccckkkkk

[close]

[close]

[close]

I like how thunders just respond and have your board do what you intended when trying a trick

Idk, they’re magical.

I love how Indy’s feel free flowing and just have this smoothness but idk, when you break the flow of just carving around and doing sub par stuff and try to get serious you REALLY gotta put some effort and oomph on it with Indy’s, you can’t slouch for a second cause you’ll get that sluggish heavy high truck feel from them. If your gonna try something in the realm that requires effort you really gotta put 100% of your energy and all with Indy

Thunders though I notice you can slack some cause they’re not too high so you get a quick pop, they’re light so you don’t have to try and pop hard, and they just stay centered and tight when you need to stay positioned for the trick

Only con though, they definitely can’t cruise Gonz style down the street well cause they’re so refined for trick response and lack carve ability

But hey I’d rather be able to land more tricks then be a terrible attempt at gonz and/or the pros that can just cruise down a sidewalk and rip(Vincent Alvarez, that guy on habitat, idk some pro you guys know that just style it out consistently down a sidewalk)

sounds like youd prefer indy forged hollows. lighter and lower than standard indys so you dont have to force tricks as much as standard indys plus you still have that surfy geometry

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #4612 on: January 16, 2019, 02:44:08 AM »

Standard indys are 55mm. The rest are 53,5mm.
Thunders are 52,3 for 8.25 and up. Indys are also many grams heavier then Thunders, even the titanium indys are heavier...

anontechnician

• Rep: -9
« Reply #4613 on: January 16, 2019, 07:12:49 AM »
I’m pretty sure the 8.5” thunders are 49mm, the hollow lights with thinner forged baseplate. Theeve  9” are similar height to thunder 8,75”, around 52mm. I’ll try to get to the shop and measure shit with pic when my fucking day off rolls around.

Vintagebody

« Reply #4614 on: January 16, 2019, 07:53:36 AM »
Ive got Thunder 147 and 148s, both with the forged baseplate.
The 148s are taller, tho I cant say for sure, but the 149 and up are probably as tall as the 148.
Atleast if you look at Tactics.com charts.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4615 on: January 16, 2019, 09:30:26 AM »
We already discussed that in another thread, but take care about Tactics measurements, I have noticed strange things concerning Thunder trucks.
For example the Team Hollows, they say that the 148 are 51mm high, but mine have the axis aligned with the Hollow Lights 151, which are 52.3 mm.
Also they say that the Team Hollow 151 are 337.4g, which is lighter than the 149 at 338.9g. This is very surprising, how a larger truck can be lighter ?

If Tactics say that they are accurate, my guess is that Thunder are releasing new products and there is a mashup between new and old?

Vintagebody

« Reply #4616 on: January 16, 2019, 10:30:57 AM »
We already discussed that in another thread, but take care about Tactics measurements, I have noticed strange things concerning Thunder trucks.
For example the Team Hollows, they say that the 148 are 51mm high, but mine have the axis aligned with the Hollow Lights 151, which are 52.3 mm.
Also they say that the Team Hollow 151 are 337.4g, which is lighter than the 149 at 338.9g. This is very surprising, how a larger truck can be lighter ?

If Tactics say that they are accurate, my guess is that Thunder are releasing new products and there is a mashup between new and old?

Makes sens that forged 148 is 51mm then. Because the team baseplate is 1mm taller.
I wonder if Thunders production variance is so big that they wont give out measurements. Else people would just complain that their trucks are 1mm taller/lower then specifications lol.

Bushings will also make a difference in height? A really stiff bushing will make it stand up taller?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:34:35 AM by Vintagebody »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4617 on: January 16, 2019, 11:25:00 AM »
I think more of the confusion comes from 147s being a different geometry? For sure different height than the next sizes up. Offhand I think 147s are 49 ish mm (plus or minus for forged/cast) and 148s and up are 52.3 ish. 
I liked skating thunders, have probably had some of my best flatground days with them. Tried them semi recently and while I thought I was attempting a noseslide, any casual observer would have thought I was trying to assinate myself. I’m one of those can’t noseslide thunders people I guess.
Venture, Ace, Indy
(BMW, Benz, or Bentley)

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #4618 on: January 16, 2019, 12:16:59 PM »
I don't really have noseslide/tailside issues with Thunders although I can see why some people who don't usually skate them might. I tend to roll up to them assuming my wheels might hit the ledge and so I adjust my speed/weight distribution accordingly. Also, waxing the side of a ledge right below the lip is sometimes necessary. Overall I don't think it's as big of a deal once you're used to it, you just treat the wheels sliding as part of the trick like a bluntslide or a lipslide.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4619 on: January 16, 2019, 01:02:28 PM »
I think it is a good example that if you are picky about dimensions, it is better to go to a local skateshop with a ruler, compare products and do your maths !