Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1233079 times)

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4620 on: January 17, 2019, 07:16:43 PM »
I ride stage 11 149 -w- 88 duro conical bushings. It’s 25 degrees in the North East and my bushings aren’t turning. I was thinking of buying soft Indy or soft bones bushings.

Bones shows indys in their commercials but is the bottom cushion really the same height as the Indy cushion? Any one have experience with measuring bones and Indy’s. My anality will not let me buy bushings that are even 1 mm different.

Thanks ahead of time.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4621 on: January 17, 2019, 08:15:23 PM »
I ride stage 11 149 -w- 88 duro conical bushings. It’s 25 degrees in the North East and my bushings aren’t turning. I was thinking of buying soft Indy or soft bones bushings.

Bones shows indys in their commercials but is the bottom cushion really the same height as the Indy cushion? Any one have experience with measuring bones and Indy’s. My anality will not let me buy bushings that are even 1 mm different.

Thanks ahead of time.

Rob says bones were made for Indy’s basically

When they designed bones bushings they basically used Indy’s for the standard truck of choice for them

They fit perfect in Indy’s, but they don’t fit right in thunders
yes

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4622 on: January 17, 2019, 08:24:41 PM »
I always found they didn't fit perfectly like I had to cram on the top nut. 

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4623 on: January 17, 2019, 08:53:05 PM »
I just bought a set of forged indy 149s last night, and without the bones washer and leaving the nut flush i had noticeable wiggle room with a set of bones meds, more than ive seen on older sets and other trucks

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #4624 on: January 17, 2019, 09:57:18 PM »
I don't really have noseslide/tailside issues with Thunders although I can see why some people who don't usually skate them might. I tend to roll up to them assuming my wheels might hit the ledge and so I adjust my speed/weight distribution accordingly. Also, waxing the side of a ledge right below the lip is sometimes necessary. Overall I don't think it's as big of a deal once you're used to it, you just treat the wheels sliding as part of the trick like a bluntslide or a lipslide.

I had that issue with thunders before. Nose and tailslides felt weird cause of the wheels sticking out but once I got over that, I realized I have more control on them now.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4625 on: January 17, 2019, 10:32:33 PM »
Funny, I could nose slide the shit out of my thunders and now I’m having trouble doing them on aces? 🤔

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1176
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4626 on: January 18, 2019, 06:59:33 AM »
I just bought a set of forged indy 149s last night, and without the bones washer and leaving the nut flush i had noticeable wiggle room with a set of bones meds, more than ive seen on older sets and other trucks

give the indy aftermarket conical bushings a try... they changed my life
hardly art, hardly starving

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4627 on: January 18, 2019, 09:37:18 AM »
Expand Quote
I don't really have noseslide/tailside issues with Thunders although I can see why some people who don't usually skate them might. I tend to roll up to them assuming my wheels might hit the ledge and so I adjust my speed/weight distribution accordingly. Also, waxing the side of a ledge right below the lip is sometimes necessary. Overall I don't think it's as big of a deal once you're used to it, you just treat the wheels sliding as part of the trick like a bluntslide or a lipslide.
[close]

I had that issue with thunders before. Nose and tailslides felt weird cause of the wheels sticking out but once I got over that, I realized I have more control on them now.

I never really progressed past the stab and wiggle noseslide attempts. I’d like to be able to get a few that I could sit on. Like a 1/4 hjalte would make my year. I definitely have some sort of ledge dyslexia where I just don’t see what’s supposed to happen. With thunders this is exacerbated and I just hit my wheels and stop instantly. I’ve probably waxed a ledge once in my life so maybe I’ll start. Anyways, went out and skated On some thunders last night and of course flip tricks were easier and now I’m back to who knows what

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #4628 on: January 18, 2019, 12:24:45 PM »
I'll sometimes use harder/ smaller wheels with Thunders but my current Thunder's base plates are nice and worn in (a little rounded out) and they nose/ tail slides as well as any other truck.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4629 on: January 18, 2019, 11:12:11 PM »
I always found they didn't fit perfectly like I had to cram on the top nut. 

Really? Indy’s are my only trucks I notice they always just fit

Funny, I could nose slide the shit out of my thunders and now I’m having trouble doing them on aces? 🤔

That’s crazy, my best nose slides were done with some aces cause the baseplate would lock in and make that awesome feeling slide grind noise

I learned slides with thunders but when I switched up with ace and Indy they really did help with the extended baseplate shape, they do lock in better
yes

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4630 on: January 19, 2019, 01:14:16 AM »
Last season i skated ML trucks, then went for Tensor mag low and then Thunder 148 hollow.
Now back on ML.
If there is anything i would like to get from Thunders, it is the baseplate.
With ML i noseslide with wood, aluminum and urethane.
With Thunder wood and urethane only. More control in my book.
Thunders are really nice btw. I guess i´m a low truck guy.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #4631 on: January 19, 2019, 02:43:46 PM »
Theeve V2 TiAx for $27.50 -

Good deal or avoid due to bushing blowouts?

discuss...

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4632 on: January 19, 2019, 04:41:05 PM »
Theeve V2 TiAx for $27.50 -

Good deal or avoid due to bushing blowouts?

discuss...

Avoid V2's at all costs

HHH

• Rep: -4
« Reply #4633 on: January 20, 2019, 06:44:41 AM »
Do thunder kingpins fit on indys?

Diocletian

« Reply #4634 on: January 20, 2019, 08:47:23 AM »
Interesting. I wonder if they put those spikes there to grip onto the hanger better or something? As in to reduce slip? Looks like they’re probably not good though.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4635 on: January 20, 2019, 10:06:47 AM »
First time poster here. My board went under a bus and I want to figure out if my trucks are fucked. They are Ventures 5.8. One is bent for sure but the other looks pretty nice to me(straight axle, no cracks, same axle length on both sides) except for this one part in the union between the axle and the hanger. I don't know if those spikes in the axle are supposed to be there or if the axle got out of place somehow. I can see those things on both sides and the other truck(the bent one) doesn't have them. Are they fucked?

Sorry for the big picture...

You’ll know when you skate em. Using a skateboard causes all types of wear, I’d say just go for it. Product is so much better now than it was. You can skate bent axles and it really doesn’t affect to much imo. Warped boards as well....doesn’t seem to matter too much for me

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4636 on: January 20, 2019, 10:46:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Interesting. I wonder if they put those spikes there to grip onto the hanger better or something? As in to reduce slip? Looks like they’re probably not good though.
[close]
I'm pretty sure they are for that. Its the first time I see them in any truck tough.

Hopefully someone with a pair of Ventures can tell me if they see them or not. I'm wondering if I should buy a new set of trucks or just one is enough.

Kinda hard to get pics from there with the trucks attached to a board but I don't have them visible on my Venture 5.8s. I think your axle has slipped. If it's the same length on both sides still, it probably has spun and probably will slip again really easily. I'd just get new trucks.

Interesting to see that's what they've done to the axles to combat axle slip. I've always wondered about this, if they have any countermeasures and if those could be made better. These seem alright but I think having two big ass lumps around the kingpin area where there's a bunch of meat not likely to be ground away might work better. 🤔

Diocletian

« Reply #4637 on: January 20, 2019, 12:12:58 PM »
I forgot how many pages back it was, and I’m too lazy, but what was the consensus on how to remove paint from an entire hanger and baseplate? I saw the old thread about yellow oven cleaner but that was more geared towards anodized. That aircraft stripper stuff seems to be pretty damn easy, it just bubbles the paint in minutes and you scrape it off, rinse and done. But I don’t know if that would weaken the hanger or axle from such a strong chemical application? Then there’s the overnight acetone bath I believe I read somewhere. Sanding seems too time consuming. Anyone have experience on the best method? Thanks.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4638 on: January 20, 2019, 12:45:03 PM »
I used this on the last pair

https://www.rustoleum.com.au/DigitalEncyclopedia/product-catalog/RustoleumAU/consumer-brands/motospray/cleaners-and-strippers/quickstrip-paint-remover

does a good job and didnt seem to have any negative effects on the metal. Wear thick gloves when handling though, shit burns like a hell on your fingers.

That being said i cant stand the un polished look of stripped trucks anymore

Diocletian

« Reply #4639 on: January 20, 2019, 01:20:23 PM »
Thanks! So with the spray, you just did one coat of it? How long did you leave it on for, and did you have to wipe it off or give it a hard scrub?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4640 on: January 20, 2019, 01:55:40 PM »
i did it it sections, given how many nooks and crannys there are in trucks, i sprayed one coat, let it set for a couple minutes, it bubbles up before your eyes, then i took a paint scraper and it came off like nothing, turned it over and started again

Diocletian

« Reply #4641 on: January 20, 2019, 03:56:39 PM »
Right on. So afterwards, I assume you just rinsed them in some water and wiped dry? How did they grind? Any weird stickiness to the grind since they weren’t polished?

« Reply #4642 on: January 20, 2019, 03:59:54 PM »
Just skate that shit

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4643 on: January 20, 2019, 05:09:08 PM »
Right on. So afterwards, I assume you just rinsed them in some water and wiped dry? How did they grind? Any weird stickiness to the grind since they weren’t polished?

I went damn cloth, different cloth dry. I’ve stripped trucks a few times and had different results. The pair I used spray stripper on stuck on some glides on others. But overall it shouldn’t be an issue

Diocletian

« Reply #4644 on: January 21, 2019, 03:31:48 PM »
Thanks for all the help man! I’ll see what other options there are for paint stripper at the hardware store. I might just go with that aircraft stripper because it works so damn good. I hope it doesn’t end up making the trucks stickier on grinds, I wonder if there’s some kind of finishing spray I could put on after, that would make them glide like a normal polished truck?

nosneb

• Rep: 90
« Reply #4645 on: January 21, 2019, 03:54:46 PM »
I have a set of Ventures I stripped the paint off using aircraft stripper. It doesnt feel any different from a polished truck  from the factory. Grinding the trucks will polish it right up  ;)

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4646 on: January 21, 2019, 04:58:06 PM »
Have the truck gods finally spoken? Hopefully these come in 5.8’s or they at least make em in an 8.25 size

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #4647 on: January 22, 2019, 12:25:38 AM »
Wow, those look amazing. Hopefully they make them in every size and they don't go too crazy with the colorways. Titanium axles and regular hangers?

pretty sure. The metal used on the hangers grind great. I think the Titanium weighs less than the metal used on the axles but more than the aluminum used on the hanger if im not mistaken.  crazy since Ventures are already pretty light. can not wait to try them out

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4648 on: January 22, 2019, 08:28:26 AM »
Have the truck gods finally spoken? Hopefully these come in 5.8’s or they at least make em in an 8.25 size

Yes please. And an 8.25 low too. Heavenly.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4649 on: January 22, 2019, 08:37:38 AM »
Riptide pivot cups in my Ventures.  Worth every penny of the ridiculous price