Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232468 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4650 on: January 22, 2019, 09:42:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Have the truck gods finally spoken? Hopefully these come in 5.8’s or they at least make em in an 8.25 size

[close]

Yes please. And an 8.25 low too. Heavenly.

An 8.25 TI Hollow Venture lo would be amazing.

ultrabra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #4651 on: January 22, 2019, 09:51:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Have the truck gods finally spoken? Hopefully these come in 5.8’s or they at least make em in an 8.25 size

[close]

[close]

Hollow TI axle!?
Absolutley.
DLX Please :'(

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4652 on: January 22, 2019, 10:04:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hollow TI axle!?
Absolutley.

They'll never do a hollow titanium axle.  It wouldn't be strong enough.  These will just have a solid titanium axle which is lighter than a hollow steel axle.

The biggest question for me is if they'll come in 5.8.  Venture seems to be neglecting that size since they don't even make a v-hollow for it

ballintoohard

« Reply #4653 on: January 22, 2019, 02:56:44 PM »
Having gone from Ace to Indy I'm thinking of trying Venture next on a 14-14.25 so I can get the flickity and stability.

So I swapped from aftermarket Indy yellow bushings to the softer Indy Reds. But they don't seem as soft and aren't breaking in. I don't remember bushings taking this long in the past and I don't want my kingpin nuts any higher. Do they take a while?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #4654 on: January 22, 2019, 04:01:02 PM »
Having gone from Ace to Indy I'm thinking of trying Venture next on a 14-14.25 so I can get the flickity and stability.

So I swapped from aftermarket Indy yellow bushings to the softer Indy Reds. But they don't seem as soft and aren't breaking in. I don't remember bushings taking this long in the past and I don't want my kingpin nuts any higher. Do they take a while?

What is the temperature? I run conical reds and in the summer they flow. In the winter they are stiff and sweaky. I’m gonna drop to the soft ones to see if I can go back to glowing—at least for the winter.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4655 on: January 22, 2019, 09:12:03 PM »
I'm not about to skim through the whole thing but I feel like my last two sets of Indys (the Reynolds and Wes hollows) both seem to be suffering from gnarly axle slip - the Wes' seem to have shipped with uneven axles. Is this only an issue with the hollows? What is going on over at NHS
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4656 on: January 22, 2019, 10:22:31 PM »
I'm not about to skim through the whole thing but I feel like my last two sets of Indys (the Reynolds and Wes hollows) both seem to be suffering from gnarly axle slip - the Wes' seem to have shipped with uneven axles. Is this only an issue with the hollows? What is going on over at NHS

Didn’t happen to me, but a bunch of local tippers complained about the quality on Indy’s a few years ago and people started switching.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4657 on: January 23, 2019, 02:10:32 AM »
How do some of you guys even ride Indy’s?

I was doing my usual and swapping in and out off trucks and realized how heavy they were compared to most of my trucks, they’re cool trucks but damn...

Having a lighter truck helps a lot
yes

BMCsteve

« Reply #4658 on: January 23, 2019, 04:14:35 AM »

I've had a couple sets of Indy titaniums that had uneven axles.  Basically on one truck, when you tighten the wheels, one side would have 2-3 threads showing, the other side would be a thread short in the nyloc.  super annoying

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #4659 on: January 23, 2019, 07:02:58 AM »
I think my thunder TI's are like that too....

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4660 on: January 23, 2019, 07:10:46 AM »
This thread is making me want to swap out my 144 indies (I ride 8.25) for some 149 thunders (I kinda wanna go bigger).

Would thunder hollow lights hold my big ass I’m floating around 6ft and 210lbs. Or am I gonna bend the axles? maybe I should just try thunder lights? I would like to try a lighter truck if I’m sizing up.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4661 on: January 23, 2019, 09:37:19 AM »
Hey. missed the craze for a moment... what's the titanium deal? stronger/ lighter?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4662 on: January 23, 2019, 09:46:11 AM »

I was doing my usual and swapping in and out off trucks and realized how heavy they were compared to most of my trucks, they’re cool trucks but damn...

They make a titanium version - I tried some recently and was pleasantly surprised with them after I added ACE low bushings- refreshing to try something new after riding theeves for the last 10 years - but idk if I'd say they are better yet.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4663 on: January 23, 2019, 11:19:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hollow TI axle!?
Absolutley.

Kingpin (like in the pic).

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4664 on: January 23, 2019, 11:21:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They make a titanium version - I tried some recently and was pleasantly surprised with them after I added ACE low bushings- refreshing to try something new after riding theeves for the last 10 years - but idk if I'd say they are better yet.

I see someone else bit on that combo. The ACE low bushings really spruce up Indys; I wouldn't say it makes them better than Theeves tho as Theeves still have a better snap to center and are more stable, even when loose.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4665 on: January 23, 2019, 11:27:17 AM »
I see someone else bit on that combo. The ACE low bushings really spruce up Indys; I wouldn't say it makes them better than Theeves tho as Theeves still have a better snap to center and are more stable, even when loose.
Thanks for the advice ;)
Agreed twice

baustin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #4666 on: January 23, 2019, 12:45:14 PM »
This thread is making me want to swap out my 144 indies (I ride 8.25) for some 149 thunders (I kinda wanna go bigger).

Would thunder hollow lights hold my big ass I’m floating around 6ft and 210lbs. Or am I gonna bend the axles? maybe I should just try thunder lights? I would like to try a lighter truck if I’m sizing up.

Not sure if this is a myth, but I've heard some people say hollow axles resist bending as well or better than solid ones. I tried googling about it but it's a bunch of nerdy physics jargon I'm too stupid to understand. Anyway I've never had problems with hollow axles myself so I say go for it, light trucks are fun.

Diocletian

« Reply #4667 on: January 23, 2019, 05:23:02 PM »
Hollow is weaker but it will snap before it bends.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4668 on: January 23, 2019, 11:40:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah but even the titanium Indy’s aren’t as light in my experience compared to having other hollow/titanium trucks

I like how theeves have that responsive feel which gets me excited to throw them back on and give a session, Idk if it’s just me too but bones definitely feel better than the knock offs they have on stock.

Running bones hards with top and bottom washers on some theeve 5.5 and they are just right so far cruising around and popping here and there
yes

MaitlandPrivado

• Rep: 29
« Reply #4669 on: January 24, 2019, 08:33:51 AM »
Theeves with Bones hards feels so much better than anything else I've tried. I tried various Thunder, Indy, Venture and even Krux but none felt as good for me. The turn is fantastic, my daily is 8.25 with 5.5s and I have a fun 9" setup with 6.5s. I also have a new set of 5.85 but I need to pick up more bushings so I can slap them on an old 8.6 Santa Cruz I have laying around that I didn't like with 159 Indys no matter what I tried with Indy aftermarket bushings. I would like to try some Aces sometime but until then it's Theeves & Bones.

Diocletian

« Reply #4670 on: January 26, 2019, 03:43:59 PM »
Anyone know if all the Ermico poured stuff is “sandcasted”? I noticed on a new set of Indy’s I just got, there’s all these little pebbles stuck in the mounting holes, in between the stamped baseplate letters, under the hanger where the axle and kingpin is exposed. I remember a set of new Thunders awhile back having the same thing.

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #4671 on: January 27, 2019, 06:03:29 AM »
Indy's are fully China made now, not poured at Ermico.  :-\

Diocletian

« Reply #4672 on: January 27, 2019, 08:48:14 AM »
I had a convo with the new owner of Tracker a month or so ago. According to him, Indy’s cast stuff is still poured at Ermico but not entirely. They also pour it in China but there’s nothing noticeable to differentiate, so they get away with it. Tracker is no longer made in USA, even though their new hangers are stamped USA underneath (which I think is grounds for a gov’t fine or something?). It’s pretty evident that USA foundries cannot keep up with the demand and cost to churn out so many trucks.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4673 on: February 03, 2019, 02:18:22 PM »

any more news on these???

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #4674 on: February 03, 2019, 04:40:59 PM »
Yeah, even I'm interested in an 8.25 Ti venture....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4675 on: February 04, 2019, 08:12:34 AM »
I had a convo with the new owner of Tracker a month or so ago. According to him, Indy’s cast stuff is still poured at Ermico but not entirely. They also pour it in China but there’s nothing noticeable to differentiate, so they get away with it. Tracker is no longer made in USA, even though their new hangers are stamped USA underneath (which I think is grounds for a gov’t fine or something?). It’s pretty evident that USA foundries cannot keep up with the demand and cost to churn out so many trucks.

I blame Rob.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 03:42:10 PM by Xen »

olan.is.rollin

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4676 on: February 04, 2019, 11:49:57 AM »
red forged hollow indy 169s with indy 78a bushings with 58mm 99du conical full spits and no risers, works wonders

BMCsteve

« Reply #4677 on: February 04, 2019, 12:11:15 PM »
red forged hollow indy 169s with indy 78a bushings with 58mm 99du conical full spits and no risers, works wonders

I'm very jealous that you can skate those bushings with forged plates and 58mm wheels without dying

olan.is.rollin

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4678 on: February 04, 2019, 12:22:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm very jealous that you can skate those bushings with forged plates and 58mm wheels without dying
It's not that hard tbh, it is just another thing to get used to, the 58s were actually a step down from a set of 60mm 101 bones spf believe it or not, rode without risers on those too

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #4679 on: February 04, 2019, 12:56:41 PM »
Film trucks - a French truck company that apparently existed, but then didn't, but exists again.

filmtrucks.co