Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231714 times)

Beeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4710 on: February 18, 2019, 11:37:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I tried the red (88a?) Indy's in my Krux and thought they were garbage, hard and plasticky just like stock Krux. I'm still kinda interested in trying the 78a someday, not sure why because the new Ace bushings are the greatest bushings ever made, if you haven't tried them you are doing yourself a dis-service.
[close]
Do the new Ace bushings come stock or are the ones you’re referring to the aftermarket “performance” bushings?
[close]
Fun fact: those aftermarket ace performance bushings are exactly the same as the stocks.

Yeah, that's exactly why you don't hear about people replacing the bushings in (3rd gen) Ace anymore. They don't get a ton of credit from Ace users because they are known for their turning anyways, but try them in a different brand of truck and you will see. They make Krux a completely different truck. It's ironic because people used to love Krux bushings in Ace trucks, but I feel like that was due to a slight size difference that made the Ace looser. The regular size Ace bushings are a hair bigger than the stock Krux, but it works out because they are way softer. Another guy used the low versions in Indy's with good results. Get one of each size and try them out.

Dima

• Rep: -6
« Reply #4711 on: February 18, 2019, 03:04:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So i had the perfect Thunders with the thunder 95 duro bushings. lost my board at an airport and bought a new setup but the shop didn't have the thunder bushings they sell so I got the Independent conical shaped ones that are 92duro and goddamn are those bushings amazing quality - probably my go to for when i get new thunders. the indy conical shape works perfect on the thunders for the stock bushings are a similar conical shape

any one else run indy bushings on other trucks?
[close]

Indy 78A Super Softs work nicely on Ventures. Same exact shape and size as Venture bushings. Getting rid of the top washer gives you a bit more extra turn. It's quite a fun ride. Loose as fuck in the middle but still rather stable as they're Ventures.
[close]

Roisto, where ya got those bushings?
[close]

Lamina

Been running the soft conicals but was hoping these would be bit more stable but still have that turn.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #4712 on: February 18, 2019, 05:56:53 PM »
I haven't ever messed too much with aftermarket bushings, but lately my krux seem to be jamming up, squeaking when turning, and generally feeling unstable to stand on. I'm wondering what brand + duro I should look for if I want to have a good cruisy, carvy, surfy kinda feeling turn with no squeaks, but still a good solid feeling of stability for when I'm locked into grinds and manuals. Anyone got any ideas? Was leaning towards medium duro bones bushings and maybe taking the plunge on some riptide cups.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #4713 on: February 18, 2019, 07:12:20 PM »
Expand Quote
what ever happened to those circular thunder baseplates we saw a few years back?
[close]

Pic? Thunders are sick. I’m terrible and did have a harder time with the baseplates and the ledges and the wheels and the falling down

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4714 on: February 18, 2019, 08:50:50 PM »
Id rather skate the wheels before the hardware......

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #4715 on: February 18, 2019, 09:19:55 PM »
I haven't ever messed too much with aftermarket bushings, but lately my krux seem to be jamming up, squeaking when turning, and generally feeling unstable to stand on. I'm wondering what brand + duro I should look for if I want to have a good cruisy, carvy, surfy kinda feeling turn with no squeaks, but still a good solid feeling of stability for when I'm locked into grinds and manuals. Anyone got any ideas? Was leaning towards medium duro bones bushings and maybe taking the plunge on some riptide cups.

Riptide cups, bones medium, Indy or ace hangers and baseplates.

Seriously.

I bought a set of Krux and skated them twice. They turn like a train
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 09:21:31 PM by backinaction »

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #4716 on: February 18, 2019, 11:39:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
what ever happened to those circular thunder baseplates we saw a few years back?
[close]

Pic? Thunders are sick. I’m terrible and did have a harder time with the baseplates and the ledges and the wheels and the falling down
[close]

looks like the OG thunder baseplate  :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:45:24 PM by Fifty8mm »

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #4717 on: February 18, 2019, 11:59:10 PM »
What’s this ”long bolts for stability”-thing, never heard about it before?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

BasedSenpai

• Rep: -14
« Reply #4718 on: February 19, 2019, 12:01:31 AM »
Ace trucks 55, no washers, stock bushings, shakey loose

Fifty8mm

« Reply #4719 on: February 19, 2019, 12:22:21 AM »
What’s this ”long bolts for stability”-thing, never heard about it before?
I think flush bolts might get loose if they don't reach the nylon. Happened to me before but has not happened to me as of late.....just a theory though

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #4720 on: February 19, 2019, 03:30:18 AM »
i dunno im running 1 1/2 indy bolts with 1/4 risers and mine still get loose after a few sessions

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #4721 on: February 19, 2019, 04:41:28 AM »
I would instantly buy thunders if they released them with the old baseplates if that means I won't stick on literally any nose or tailslide.

rosemaryBB

« Reply #4722 on: February 19, 2019, 11:47:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seriously.

Thanks for the info. It's weird my Krux felt like they turned decent when I first got em.

Are riptide cups specific sizes for specific brands or can I just order any old thing and know it'll fit in my Krux?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4723 on: February 19, 2019, 01:34:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Seriously.

[close]

Thanks for the info. It's weird my Krux felt like they turned decent when I first got em.

Are riptide cups specific sizes for specific brands or can I just order any old thing and know it'll fit in my Krux?

I think the ones that fit Indys would fit - but that's just a guess.

But before you spend $15 on cups and $10 on bushings for a total of $25, think about just spending $36 on Indys (on sale for 10% off today on Tactics) and then selling the Krux to some kid who doesn't know better for $10.  you will be happier.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #4724 on: February 19, 2019, 04:31:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That would be sick. Love to see some re-issues of old trucks. If there was a way to do old Thunders with more KP clearance....
[close]

looks like the OG thunder baseplate  :)

Fifty8mm

« Reply #4725 on: February 19, 2019, 05:41:48 PM »
i dunno im running 1 1/2 indy bolts with 1/4 risers and mine still get loose after a few sessions
super glue or loctide those fuckers in. They wont move.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #4726 on: February 20, 2019, 07:13:28 AM »
I had the blue adidas/silas krux in 8.0 that didn't steer for shit, but the forged 8.25 I got later was awesome

rosemaryBB

« Reply #4727 on: February 20, 2019, 10:36:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Seriously.

[close]

[close]

But before you spend $15 on cups and $10 on bushings for a total of $25, think about just spending $36 on Indys (on sale for 10% off today on Tactics) and then selling the Krux to some kid who doesn't know better for $10.  you will be happier.

Believe it or not, not everyone wants to or likes riding Indys, they're heavy and they don't grind as well as other brands in my experience (at least ledges) and those don't seem worth it to me when I could likely tune up trucks I already have to make them turn the way I want. Also seems like lots of people get Indys and still feel the need to swap out bushings. I'm also 31 and don't skate super hard, trucks last me literally years so $25 to tune things up doesn't feel too bad to me.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4728 on: February 20, 2019, 11:06:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Seriously.

[close]

[close]

[close]

Believe it or not, not everyone wants to or likes riding Indys, they're heavy and they don't grind as well as other brands in my experience (at least ledges) and those don't seem worth it to me when I could likely tune up trucks I already have to make them turn the way I want. Also seems like lots of people get Indys and still feel the need to swap out bushings. I'm also 31 and don't skate super hard, trucks last me literally years so $25 to tune things up doesn't feel too bad to me.

I believe that not everyone likes Indys.  They aren't my top choice either. I prefer Mini Logo, but most people don't.

That said, I have Mini Logo, Indy, Thunder, Royal and Krux.    Of them, Krux is my least favorite and I don't think I would spend any more money on them as every other truck I have is a better choice.

Dude is looking to turn, so that also rules out Thunder in my book.   I'm not going to recommend Royal because - while better than Krux - they aren't most peoples first choice.   I'm not going to recommend Mini Logo because a lot of people don't find them "cool" and you have to run risers, which some people don't like either.   That leaves Indy for a recommendation.  They are a safe "better than Krux"

rosemaryBB

« Reply #4729 on: February 20, 2019, 11:12:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Seriously.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I believe that not everyone likes Indys.  They aren't my top choice either. I prefer Mini Logo, but most people don't.

That said, I have Mini Logo, Indy, Thunder, Royal and Krux.    Of them, Krux is my least favorite and I don't think I would spend any more money on them as every other truck I have is a better choice.

Dude is looking to turn, so that also rules out Thunder in my book.   I'm not going to recommend Royal because - while better than Krux - they aren't most peoples first choice.   I'm not going to recommend Mini Logo because a lot of people don't find them "cool" and you have to run risers, which some people don't like either.   That leaves Indy for a recommendation.

Fair enough. Maybe it's time for me to just have multiple trucks around anyway seeing as how I never really tried too much out since I was younger and couldn't tell the difference between shit. Only problem is Indys seem like the one brand you never luck out and find on the cheap anywhere.

Just out of curiosity what is it that you like about Mini Logos? I have a set of risers lying around and don't care about looking cool since I already skate like an idiot anyway so I'd give em a shot if you think they fit what I'm lookin for.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4730 on: February 20, 2019, 11:22:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Seriously.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Dude is looking to turn, so that also rules out Thunder in my book.   I'm not going to recommend Royal because - while better than Krux - they aren't most peoples first choice.   I'm not going to recommend Mini Logo because a lot of people don't find them "cool" and you have to run risers, which some people don't like either.   That leaves Indy for a recommendation.  They are a safe "better than Krux"

Indys....are a tough one. I’ll always have some, they will always work, will always last. I’ll also always feel like things could be better. Independents are a very safe recommendation until people develop their own preferences. That recommendation may have been because Krux are based off of an older Indy stage, and with what some people describe as a limited by design, turning radius. More of a tilt than turn I guess. Dunno. Trucks are easily the most personal piece in my opinion. Right now I’m riding ventures. Tiny ones. And low. They turn Very well for me (albeit with very small wheels and bones bushings).
Royals also turn really well. They need to be fairly loose tho, sloppy ish. And the hangers have a softer (cheaper most likely) aluminum that gives well with crusty ledges. I personally cannot wear out equipment fast enough. I’m old, I’m not good, and I don’t skate enough. Royals were fine by me. (I had the first lows with the og script and loved them and regret not riding them longer....probably started riding Orion’s or some shit. I’ve had a couple sets of the 4’s and they are a lower truck that you can ride with bigger wheels, although I didn’t. Similar height to a 147 thunder, less bite). Aces also have a softer metal. Ventures always feel like the hardest metal until some grinds get going. This is all also bullshit, not based on science and totally on my ‘feelings’

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4731 on: February 20, 2019, 11:33:48 AM »

Just out of curiosity what is it that you like about Mini Logos? I have a set of risers lying around and don't care about looking cool since I already skate like an idiot anyway so I'd give em a shot if you think they fit what I'm lookin for.

Mini Logos are an odd one.  They are super low - I think 48mm, but they have a nice turn to them. They aren't quite as surfy as an Indy/Ace, but they seem to be more stable on center.   They turn better than a Thunder or Krux.

On pool coping they grind smoother than other trucks I have used- including Indy.  It isn't a huge difference, but skating them back to back I notice the difference.

The sides of the hanger have a nice little dip that helps lock in on ledges and on coping.

Axle placement (fore-aft) is really similar to Indy and not wide like a Thunder or Venture.  As such, I don't get quite the pop as on a Thunder, but I give that up for the turning.

On my 8" trucks I find I can run up to a 53 mm without a riser.  On my 8.38" ones I do end up using a 1/10 riser with 53s.  I have used 55s with just the 1/10, but a 1/4 is better.

One of the bad things is that they don't have much kingpin clearance because they are so low.  I put a Krux inverted kingpin in mine (which requires quite a bit of J&B Liquid Weld) to more clearance.  Stock bushings are ok, but I like Bones Mediums better.  I did notice a difference when I put in the Riptide cups.

So there you have it - I took one of the cheapest trucks on the market and put another $30 into them with aftermarket parts.

An in-depth review of them:
http://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.com/2013/06/mini-logo-trucks-review.html
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 11:48:40 AM by backinaction »

CoMpLeMenTs4Uonlysometime

« Reply #4732 on: February 20, 2019, 12:18:13 PM »
Who remembers those old shittyy truck commercials with the beautiful Bob seger singing
"like a rock... Oooohhh like a rock" I think it was Chevy. Why did they make it so sensual? That was a turning point for me.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4733 on: February 20, 2019, 12:20:07 PM »
Who remembers those old shittyy truck commercials with the beautiful Bob seger singing
"like a rock... Oooohhh like a rock" I think it was Chevy. Why did they make it so sensual? That was a turning point for me.
You mean why did Bob Seger write a love song or why did Chevy use it?

The answer to both is money.

CoMpLeMenTs4Uonlysometime

« Reply #4734 on: February 20, 2019, 12:22:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You mean why did Bob Seger write a love song or why did Chevy use it?

The answer to both is money.
I would literally not dare to ever question a single decision made by Bob Seger. That would be suicide. Why did Chevy use that vibe to sell trucks? Maybe if royal tried that angle it could work. Just hit up Bob.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #4735 on: February 20, 2019, 06:48:08 PM »
Rob these guys are biting your material.....when I have more time I'm gonna start a minilogo burner account and just troll the Indy Instagram page....

whenyousleep

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4736 on: February 22, 2019, 04:24:02 PM »
This might be a totally lost cause, but do you guys have any bushing recommendations in order to make venture 5.2 lo's turn (besides bones)? I was thinking of trying out the ACE lo bushing in them, does anyone know if they more or less keep the geometry of the truck? I know I'm not gonna get them to turn as well as anything like a thunder or an ace, but I just want something to make them turn decently well. I don't know why but I can't get the idea of a venture lo with good bushings and krux kingpins out of my head.

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #4737 on: February 22, 2019, 08:51:54 PM »
try sanding the top bushing down. Thats how mine turn

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4738 on: February 22, 2019, 09:10:09 PM »
This might be a totally lost cause, but do you guys have any bushing recommendations in order to make venture 5.2 lo's turn (besides bones)? I was thinking of trying out the ACE lo bushing in them, does anyone know if they more or less keep the geometry of the truck? I know I'm not gonna get them to turn as well as anything like a thunder or an ace, but I just want something to make them turn decently well. I don't know why but I can't get the idea of a venture lo with good bushings and krux kingpins out of my head.

Goddamn it. These trucks turn. Is a truck that’s 48 mm tall going to turn like a truck that is 53 mm tall? No. If your trucks are loose enough, and or wheels small enough. Curious: why not just use the bones? Mediums in mind 5.0 lo and they turn as much as I want them too. I’ve got small wheels. On that board. I have other trucks that turn really well (I don’t get much wheel bite with aces using 55+ wheels and no risers), but ventures turn fine. 5.2s are sick. I should only skate those but I’m on some weird nostalgia kick and skating a 7.5 is too fun

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4739 on: February 23, 2019, 05:32:39 AM »
To the people who shave their bushings, what do you use? What is your technique?