Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1230979 times)

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4740 on: February 23, 2019, 08:34:29 AM »
Sand paper or some griptape. I sand the bottom side of the top bushing. It lets me shave off what I need and use all original hardware. I just use my hand and body weight and evenly rotate while sanding.

I sand off my top bushing the size of the washer so I can have my bolts flush to the kingpin and ride wobbly loose.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 08:44:52 AM by nosneb »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4741 on: February 23, 2019, 09:01:57 AM »
Word, thanks. Going to give it a try on these harder bushings I found that are a little too high for my ventures.

whenyousleep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #4742 on: February 23, 2019, 09:34:47 AM »
Expand Quote
This might be a totally lost cause, but do you guys have any bushing recommendations in order to make venture 5.2 lo's turn (besides bones)? I was thinking of trying out the ACE lo bushing in them, does anyone know if they more or less keep the geometry of the truck? I know I'm not gonna get them to turn as well as anything like a thunder or an ace, but I just want something to make them turn decently well. I don't know why but I can't get the idea of a venture lo with good bushings and krux kingpins out of my head.
[close]

Goddamn it. These trucks turn. Is a truck that’s 48 mm tall going to turn like a truck that is 53 mm tall? No. If your trucks are loose enough, and or wheels small enough. Curious: why not just use the bones? Mediums in mind 5.0 lo and they turn as much as I want them too. I’ve got small wheels. On that board. I have other trucks that turn really well (I don’t get much wheel bite with aces using 55+ wheels and no risers), but ventures turn fine. 5.2s are sick. I should only skate those but I’m on some weird nostalgia kick and skating a 7.5 is too fun

I can’t do bones bushings anymore, they always have a couple good weeks where they’re perfectly broken in and loose but they end up mushing out and breaking for me. I might end up trying out the ace ones and if they dont fit i’ll sand them down to. The krux kingpins though...

Larry Dallas

« Reply #4743 on: February 23, 2019, 10:11:09 AM »
Try the low blue Indy conical bushings. Also, I don’t think a krux kingpin would work in venture lows. Could be wrong, but I just think it would be too tall.

HHH

• Rep: -4
« Reply #4744 on: February 23, 2019, 12:41:04 PM »
More than 10 years indy skater - recently started skating thunders. Don't have that surfy feeling anymore, but I love the look and turn! Much lighter too and faster turn. Lil bit of stick on smiths at first (unlike indy) but the kingpin has been put to work and now its good.

Also, I had become tired of how much indy was praised for what it is - "ride the best, fuck the rest" and all that "for life" mentality. However, Thunder's logo is still that wack ass green day logo.

Anyways, I'm loving the thunder lights! Becoming older made me loose the love of feeling of a surfy truck and I find the Thunder responsiveness and look more appealing.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4745 on: February 23, 2019, 01:56:51 PM »
Try the low blue Indy conical bushings. Also, I don’t think a krux kingpin would work in venture lows. Could be wrong, but I just think it would be too tall.

Larry stays correct.
The Indy cones work well. The deluxe thunder soft work well. I think the krux mod is fucking wack. Which is why i don’t do it. Reducing the height of the pin will not increase turning. I’m usually wrong tho so whatever.
The bones do break. And I was on a little spree of hating them cuz although they feel good right away, they never feel AS good as thoroughly broken in og bushings. Now I just break them and continue to ride them, I don’t really notice the difference.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4746 on: February 23, 2019, 04:09:03 PM »
Anyone still out here riding 149’s on 8.25s? I’m probably gonna size down from my usual 8.38 to 8.25 after my current deck, and don’t feel like getting all new 148s just for the perfect fit

Also, does anyone else do Venture 5.25’s with 8.25’s? I might try those titanium’s next if they work well with that combo

Festivus

• Rep: 12
  • For the rest of us
« Reply #4747 on: February 23, 2019, 04:47:54 PM »
Also, does anyone else do Venture 5.25’s with 8.25’s? I might try those titanium’s next if they work well with that combo

I'm on a 8.38 with 5.2 hi's and it works fine. I put 3 speedrings on the insides of the axles to push the wheels out a bit further.

Diocletian

« Reply #4748 on: February 23, 2019, 05:21:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Still got some Made in USA stamped stage 11 159s in rotation. Never had axle slip on them.
[close]

I have these. Favorite Indy’s. The cast plates might not be perfectly flat on mine. Don’t care. Skate great.

Funny because my newly found USA stamped stage 11’s have one truck with the same problem. Does the warped baseplate sitting unevenly on your board make it sound dead at all?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4749 on: February 23, 2019, 05:57:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Still got some Made in USA stamped stage 11 159s in rotation. Never had axle slip on them.
[close]

I have these. Favorite Indy’s. The cast plates might not be perfectly flat on mine. Don’t care. Skate great.
[close]

Funny because my newly found USA stamped stage 11’s have one truck with the same problem. Does the warped baseplate sitting unevenly on your board make it sound dead at all?

Didn’t really notice. The only time that drove me crazy was when I was a kid and put the wrong kind of lubricant on bearings. So nah.

Diocletian

« Reply #4750 on: February 23, 2019, 08:47:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Didn’t really notice. The only time that drove me crazy was when I was a kid and put the wrong kind of lubricant on bearings. So nah.

I’ve had that with fresh expensive bearings, made everything sound really dead. I just stick with reds now. But yeah, baseplate was a false alarm. Turns out it was the NHS factory sticker crinkled up. Took a razor blade and scraped the baseplates clean, put in fresh cups and bushings, extra speed rings, now they’re ready for years of grinding to the axle. Stoked!

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4751 on: February 23, 2019, 09:41:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm on a 8.38 with 5.2 hi's and it works fine. I put 3 speedrings on the insides of the axles to push the wheels out a bit further.

interested in hearing about the titanium’s
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 10:08:12 PM by Ok »

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #4752 on: February 23, 2019, 10:55:34 PM »
Anyone still out here riding 149’s on 8.25s? I’m probably gonna size down from my usual 8.38 to 8.25 after my current deck, and don’t feel like getting all new 148s just for the perfect fit

I think you will really like 149s on an 8.25. The outside of your wheels will line up perfectly with your board, so I think you will feel more in tune with your board. I actually had 149s on an 8 and it was really cool but the were regular Indys so the front was too heavy in the front. It would have been great with hollow Indys though.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4753 on: February 24, 2019, 03:30:34 AM »
Rob these guys are biting your material.....when I have more time I'm gonna start a minilogo burner account and just troll the Indy Instagram page....

J soy! Missed you man

Hey guys stop trying to think you know more about trucks than my mental kook ass

Mini logos are respectable and honestly honestly(in my opinion of course)

They from my street skating roots feel a lot better than Indy’s, why??

Cause as a street skater I prefer a mid/low truck for quicker pop and response, Indy’s are too tall and turny/loose

Mini logo I’ve tried with the recommended bones medium swap and even the just bones road side and mini logo deck side so it’s stable but still turns quick and responsive cause of the bones but has the stability of the cylinder mini logo, I prefer the stock mini logo bushings

Idk what it is but they’re like an old reliable fun car, once you warm up on them and get the feeling for the geo they respond really well pop and turn wise and cause they’re low they make it easy to flip the board and catch

Recently I’ve been riding krux downlow 4.0/8” going back to my roots and seriously, I like them a lot

They remind me of my 7.8 days but the trucks and me can actually turn, they don’t turn as well and fast as other trucks but something about them gets the job done for me

I got the Garrett ginner gold krux 8” downlows on a 8.06 Krooked and I like it a lot, obviously I took some acetone to get the kids name off MY trucks so they’re just gold now but yeah...I like them a lot, they have this response that makes them work but have a lag in the after math of things, like you go in for a deep turn(I have them medium loose) and they’ll start going and tilting and turning but when you try to get straight back to center they require a bit of balancing and effort like your walking on a tight rope in the circus after taking a step forward and you have to get back to center yourself

So yeah, anything you do on these krux works very responsivley BUT returning to center/balance on the land/turn is a little tricky cause they kinda stick

Now you guys are getting me to throw my mini logos on for a sesh cause I’m recalling how good they were for kickflips, they just pop and flip and you feel how responsive they are. I just didn’t like the manual point, had to get use to that
yes

nosneb

• Rep: 90
« Reply #4754 on: February 24, 2019, 08:07:48 AM »

I ride Venture 5.8 with 8.25 and I think its perfect.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1189
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4755 on: February 26, 2019, 08:06:04 PM »
Can someone tell me why Venture doesn’t make a 8.25” truck? 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4756 on: February 26, 2019, 08:26:46 PM »

Not enough people ride venture yet for them to diversify

Goto the park and you’ll see 90% of the park is team Indy or thunder

But you say royal and Destructo and other companies as trashy as silver make an 8.25 truck?

That’s cause they’re probably able to sell world wide and break even on sales, idk ventures are cool but from my experience it so refreshing to step back on better turning trucks when you’ve ridden ventures for a week or some

I was enjoying my 5.2 lot and got some gnarly crooks and groove on them but it kinda annoyed me leaving a spot cruising around the streets to the next spot leaning so hard to get around a corner

They work well for skating a spot but cruising around and pulling a mark G I think you need other trucks
yes

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1189
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4757 on: February 26, 2019, 08:35:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But you say royal and Destructo and other companies as trashy as silver make an 8.25 truck?

That’s cause they’re probably able to sell world wide and break even on sales, idk ventures are cool but from my experience it so refreshing to step back on better turning trucks when you’ve ridden ventures for a week or some

I guess that makes sense.  But wouldn’t they stand to potentially sell more by offering their trucks in a very popular size? 

They’re definitely not for everyone, but I grew up skating ventures so I have a soft spot for them.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

PatoDuck

• Rep: -31
« Reply #4758 on: February 27, 2019, 08:02:25 AM »
No washers in both trucks, I like my front truck super wobbly and loose and my back medium for a stability thing. I don’t care to much about bushings. I figure the older the better?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4759 on: February 28, 2019, 02:30:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I guess that makes sense.  But wouldn’t they stand to potentially sell more by offering their trucks in a very popular size? 

They’re definitely not for everyone, but I grew up skating ventures so I have a soft spot for them.

True but you know it would only be us slap guys buying all the 8.25 ventures
yes

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #4760 on: February 28, 2019, 07:46:09 PM »
Finally got Ace bushings in my krux, which marks the first time I've ever switched out bushings in 18 years of skating and holy shit wow can't believe what a huge difference it makes. I honestly have never had crooks in my entire life and I suddenly can do them clean at the ripe old age of 31. Aside from this my board feels poppier and has a lot more surf-feeling going on. Totally understand now why everyone is so OCD about truck set-ups.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #4761 on: March 01, 2019, 08:07:11 AM »
Finally got Ace bushings in my krux, which marks the first time I've ever switched out bushings in 18 years of skating and holy shit wow can't believe what a huge difference it makes. I honestly have never had crooks in my entire life and I suddenly can do them clean at the ripe old age of 31. Aside from this my board feels poppier and has a lot more surf-feeling going on. Totally understand now why everyone is so OCD about truck set-ups.

Nice to see someone finally tried this. I have a feeling these will become the new standard once people try them, especially in Krux, but in everything really. Ace finally nailed the bushing.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #4762 on: March 01, 2019, 10:59:12 AM »
Ace trucks and big dudes...

I just picked up some 66s yesterday and slapped them on a board. It snowed 2.5 feet here this week so I just stood on it in my garage. My 180 lbs turned to one side and the bottom bushing blew out of the board side washer on one turn.

This is not good.  I have heard great things about ace bushings but it seems I need something stiffer.

Suggestions?

Note - the same thing happened with my 8.5 Krux last fall.  After a couple attempts at finding good bushings I realized the trucks didn't turn anyway and they sit on my workbench.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:01:18 AM by backinaction »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4763 on: March 01, 2019, 11:28:27 AM »
I found the whites crazy mushy in my 66's.....put in some black indys and they turn great...

switchbs180

« Reply #4764 on: March 01, 2019, 12:53:58 PM »

I just picked up some 66s yesterday and slapped them on a board. It snowed 2.5 feet here this week so I just stood on it in my garage. My 180 lbs turned to one side and the bottom bushing blew out of the board side washer on one turn.

This is not good.  I have heard great things about ace bushings but it seems I need something stiffer.

Suggestions?

Note - the same thing happened with my 8.5 Krux last fall.  After a couple attempts at finding good bushings I realized the trucks didn't turn anyway and they sit on my workbench.

I weigh about the same as you. have you tried barrel bushings? I use Indy 88a and never had problems.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #4765 on: March 01, 2019, 01:19:12 PM »
Expand Quote

Suggestions?

[close]

I weigh about the same as you. have you tried barrel bushings? I use Indy 88a and never had problems.

Do you mean the conical?  Barrel are the shape of the Ace ones.  The only conicals I have used in the past are Bones - which I have both Medium and Hard sitting somewhere in one of the boxes in my garage.    I like Mediums in smaller trucks like 8, 8.38.   Seems like Hard may be appropriate for a truck this big.

So - Bones in Ace - bottom washer?  Yay, nay?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4766 on: March 01, 2019, 02:08:17 PM »
I weigh about 200 yankish units, whatever those were, can’t remember. Around 95 kg though. I only have 44s and 55s but never encountered anything like that. I’ve actually found the stock Ace bushings to be horribly hard until broken in over several weeks of turning heavily. No lame ass cruising and chilling allowed. Tight turns and sketchy landings galore!

Diocletian

« Reply #4767 on: March 01, 2019, 05:42:49 PM »
New stock/aftermarket Ace bushings are definitely too soft for me as well. The durometers tell it all, 80something bottom and only like a 90a top. I weigh 210lbs, flop to wheelbite almost instantly on them. The Stage 2 Ace bushings were hard as a rock. Keeping the stock rock bottom with a softer Krux top works the best. I tried the cylinder Indy 94a black ones and they turned weird.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4768 on: March 01, 2019, 11:10:34 PM »
I'm a buck forty but one of those guys that insists he rides 'medium' trucks....

Diocletian

« Reply #4769 on: March 02, 2019, 05:03:16 AM »
On the topic of Ace trucks, has anyone hammered in a hollow kingpin that isn’t a krux? Which ones fit? Indy? Thunder? Destructo?