Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232076 times)

CoMpLeMenTs4Uonlysometime

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4770 on: March 02, 2019, 07:53:52 AM »
I want to downsize and need to change trucks. I've been skating 149s for a long time and want to try something else. The candidates are venture, krux or ace. I will eventually get them all I suppose but what should I get first? Ventures are stable and extend the wheelbase while ace very surfy and make the wheelbase shorter. What about krux? Are they the middle ground, more similar to Indy?
The ace range is nice at 8.3. Allows alot of room for switching it up if you end up regretting your downsizing.

Htownlegend

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #4771 on: March 02, 2019, 08:02:24 AM »
Thunder 147's, usually skate the Hollow Lights. Replace bushings with bones medium and discard the 2 washers on each truck. Then torque the bushing bolt down to where its flush with kingpin. This is how I setup trucks always and they feel absolutely perfect

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4772 on: March 02, 2019, 08:04:34 AM »
I want to downsize and need to change trucks. I've been skating 149s for a long time and want to try something else. The candidates are venture, krux or ace. I will eventually get them all I suppose but what should I get first? Ventures are stable and extend the wheelbase while ace very surfy and make the wheelbase shorter. What about krux? Are they the middle ground, more similar to Indy?

I plug venture. Here’s the logic: sizing down? 5.25 ventures ride bigger than any of the trucks you mentioned. For me they are the most similar to Indy in how they pop. I don’t like krux. At all. Ace are sick, but ride pretty small, super fun tho. Lots of turn

CoMpLeMenTs4Uonlysometime

« Reply #4773 on: March 02, 2019, 08:04:38 AM »
Thunder 147's, usually skate the Hollow Lights. Replace bushings with bones medium and discard the 2 washers on each truck. Then torque the bushing bolt down to where its flush with kingpin. This is how I setup trucks always and they feel absolutely perfect
But without the bottom washer you are messing with the Geo in your thunders putting stress on the kingpin and plastic inner core don't your bones medium begin to creak and your pivot cups? Or am I completely crazy.

Htownlegend

• Rep: -63
« Reply #4774 on: March 02, 2019, 08:45:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
But without the bottom washer you are messing with the Geo in your thunders putting stress on the kingpin and plastic inner core don't your bones medium begin to creak and your pivot cups? Or am I completely crazy.

The only problems I've experienced with this set up is the bushings do eventually crack and tear apart. But it takes along time for that to happen, and I'm not even sure if the washers being there would stop it from happening.

Creaking seems to mostly happen in the pivot cup , at least in my experience, and I usually put a little coating of wax in it to quiet it down.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4775 on: March 02, 2019, 09:25:40 AM »
Can someone tell me why Venture doesn’t make a 8.25” truck? 

Someone on their insta asked what size they should use for an 8.25 and Venture responded with 5.2 & 5.8. I guess they figure that’s good enough? I’m tempted to try some 5.2 Ti’s on an 8.25 for my next setup but that’ll probably be a month or so away

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4776 on: March 02, 2019, 02:09:27 PM »
5.25 & 8.25? I wouldn’t....

Go by axle width instead. Axle length .25” over deck width to bring standard street wheels flush with the deck edge is the formula I go on.

Me - 8” axle on 5.25, deck 7.75 = perfect.
Nosneb (above) 8.5” axle on 5.8, deck 8.25 = this fits too, see?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 02:16:02 PM by drinny »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1189
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4777 on: March 02, 2019, 02:36:26 PM »

Go by axle width instead. Axle length .25” over deck width to bring standard street wheels flush with the deck edge is the formula I go on.

I may try this, but don’t expect me to like it cucumbers
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #4778 on: March 02, 2019, 02:55:41 PM »
here’s a 8.38 krooked with 5.8 ventures they fit  perfect . hope this helps .

Larry Dallas

« Reply #4779 on: March 02, 2019, 03:09:32 PM »

Formula... It's all preference.  I hate having my axles stick out, so I would just buy thunder 148s until Venture gets off their ass and makes a 5.5.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #4780 on: March 02, 2019, 03:50:46 PM »
5.8 on an 8.38 works fine, I’ve skated that combo for years. I wanna know what that 5.2/8.25 is like. I know the axel length is a lil short, but it can’t be too bad right?

hangontoyourego

« Reply #4781 on: March 02, 2019, 04:36:06 PM »
oh gotcha .

nosneb

• Rep: 90
« Reply #4782 on: March 02, 2019, 10:47:53 PM »
I like the extra grind space and how a slightly smaller board give the bigger trucks leverage in the way I do certain grinds.
I currently ride 2 setups. 7.5 deck with venture low 5.2 trucks and 8.25 deck with venture hi 5.8

Here is a pic of my 7.5 setup. I got this deck used in pretty good condition the previous owner used 7.5 trucks you can see the wheelbite marks vs my wheelbite marks from my 8 trucks 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 10:54:37 PM by nosneb »

subparcurbslapper

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4783 on: March 03, 2019, 11:18:15 AM »
I'm with nosneb on this one too, nothing wrong with a little extra axle. I had a homie who ran 169s on his 8.5 for a bit n he was a fan.
Not saying I would necessarily go that extreme, but I definitely prefer my trucks to be a little wider than the board.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4784 on: March 03, 2019, 01:18:02 PM »
5.8 on an 8.38 works fine, I’ve skated that combo for years. I wanna know what that 5.2/8.25 is like. I know the axel length is a lil short, but it can’t be too bad right?

It’s not bad. Throw a few extra speed rings on hanger side. It’s far less of a difference than you might think. I like the way bigger trucks look, and for some tricks they help, narrower trucks turn faster and you can get more scoop

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4785 on: March 03, 2019, 01:26:01 PM »
here’s a 8.38 krooked with 5.8 ventures they fit  perfect . hope this helps .

These look dope....I want the sweatshirt

Hypnotoad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4786 on: March 03, 2019, 08:41:17 PM »
Are Indy lows gone forever?

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4787 on: March 04, 2019, 11:05:46 AM »
I've got a setup question.  I'm currently running Mini Logo 8.38 trucks and I usually run them medium to kind of tight.  I want them to turn decent but definitely no floppy or loose.  I'm currently running bones mediums in them but I was wanting to loosen up a bit but I'm still wanting to try to keep wheelbite as minimal as possible without resorting to super tiny wheels (running 53's right now and I'm using small risers).   I'm thinking of putting in one Bones soft bushing and one medium.  My question is, would it be better to have the soft one on the top or bottom?  I'd like better turning but good snap back to center and maintain as much of the stability as possible.  I was thinking soft on top but I wanted opinions.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1175
« Reply #4788 on: March 04, 2019, 11:16:47 AM »
I've got a setup question.  I'm currently running Mini Logo 8.38 trucks ...

hardly art, hardly starving

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4789 on: March 04, 2019, 11:33:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well deployed.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4790 on: March 04, 2019, 11:37:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Well deployed.

Soft bottom hard top is supposed to be best for a quicker snap back to center

Hard bottom and soft top (which I prefer) just puts some stability (harder bottom) with the ability to turn (soft top).

What I found with using bones this way is that a soft bottom and hard top doesn't feel the way regular bushings setup this way, bones softs are just too soft, even out of the box.

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4791 on: March 04, 2019, 12:19:12 PM »
Thanks.  I'll give it a shot.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #4792 on: March 04, 2019, 12:46:25 PM »
I've got a setup question.  I'm currently running Mini Logo 8.38 trucks and I usually run them medium to kind of tight.  I want them to turn decent but definitely no floppy or loose.  I'm currently running bones mediums in them but I was wanting to loosen up a bit but I'm still wanting to try to keep wheelbite as minimal as possible without resorting to super tiny wheels (running 53's right now and I'm using small risers).   I'm thinking of putting in one Bones soft bushing and one medium.  My question is, would it be better to have the soft one on the top or bottom?  I'd like better turning but good snap back to center and maintain as much of the stability as possible.  I was thinking soft on top but I wanted opinions.

Keep the Bones Medium.  Add RipTide pivot cups.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #4793 on: March 04, 2019, 02:06:18 PM »
Someone responding to comments on Ventures Insta is saying the 5.8 Ti’s are coming in the next drop. We’ll see 👀

Diocletian

« Reply #4794 on: March 04, 2019, 04:26:37 PM »
Has anyone ever bent or broken their titanium axle truck, whether it be Thunder, Indy, Theeve, or any other brand I’m forgetting? Technically a titanium alloy isn’t as strong as an chromoly axle, yet people have bent and broken those a ton throughout skateboarding history.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4795 on: March 04, 2019, 05:23:52 PM »

Last I heard on this thread if you want good center stability but turnability you do a stiffer roadside(small bushing) and a softer deckside cause the small bushing is what keeps you stable

I like and prefer the stock mini logo bushings cause they still turn but are more stable than bones

Also last I read on this thread cause I also enjoy Indy lows, supposedly they’re working on a new Indy low to be announced or released this year, I’m thinking they’re gonna basically be taller with better clearance than last, they’re gonna definitely be a competitor for thunder 147 basically, I’m betting same height as 147 - 49/50mm tall

Better kingpin clearance, closer to standard turning, and better lower center of gravity response for quicker pop and flip
yes

hangontoyourego

« Reply #4796 on: March 04, 2019, 07:49:15 PM »
Someone responding to comments on Ventures Insta is saying the 5.8 Ti’s are coming in the next drop. We’ll see 👀
thats bram the team manger .

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4797 on: March 05, 2019, 04:16:18 AM »
Has anyone ever bent or broken their titanium axle truck, whether it be Thunder, Indy, Theeve, or any other brand I’m forgetting? Technically a titanium alloy isn’t as strong as an chromoly axle, yet people have bent and broken those a ton throughout skateboarding history.

I'm sure it can be done but bending axles are usually a result of a poorly reinforced hangar.  This is why you saw it happen so often with the older Ace and Tensors

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #4798 on: March 05, 2019, 06:23:02 AM »

So hyped on this news!!!!

Hypnotoad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #4799 on: March 05, 2019, 07:05:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also last I read on this thread cause I also enjoy Indy lows, supposedly they’re working on a new Indy low to be announced or released this year, I’m thinking they’re gonna basically be taller with better clearance than last, they’re gonna definitely be a competitor for thunder 147 basically, I’m betting same height as 147 - 49/50mm tall

Better kingpin clearance, closer to standard turning, and better lower center of gravity response for quicker pop and flip

Thanks!