Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232652 times)

I AM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4830 on: March 13, 2019, 11:52:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does the ace Lo bushing setup work on cast plate 55mm Indy?
[close]
Yes, it does - it feels kinda like if you took an aftermarket indy orange (roadside) with a red (board side.)
[close]

I tried this with the worn in aftermarkets, just didn't feel as good, totally acceptable, but not as good/loosey goosey as with the ACEs.

As they're only a couple of duros off from each other this could be the quality/type of thane but also the height as the aftermarket indy tops are taller than stock indy tops (and the aftermarket bottoms are lower than the stocks...The ACE low bushings are closer to the aftermarket bottoms and stock indy tops :P

/bushing madness
this is incorrect. aftermarket indy tops are 10mm while stock is 11mm. indy aftermarket barrel and stock bottoms are both 13mm while ace low bottoms are 12mm. aftermarket conical bottoms are 14mm, same as ace standard bottoms. the 90a indy conicals are the closest feel to aces in my experience, mostly because of the superior rebound compared to other duros.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is beautiful. Xen did you make that? Are you Stephen chick? With your technical prowess and rob's marketability you guys could fucking change the world. No more bullshit ass washers coming stock and no shitty ass small chain polymer bushings we want some Binomial pairs too doh doh get your shit together. That's actually an amazing infographic though I saved it in my journal of really. Important things.
[close]

Thanks man! Yeah I would do a parody video of the bushings like the ricta wheels where I have a computer generated 3-d model video showing off the way the bushings perform, check out nhs showing off I think it was the slicks getting all technical

But I would love to start a bushing Buisness with j soy, sadly I’m not an material engineer to know enough about such compounds to concoct the perfect aftermarket bushings for my slap pals, I only know what would be demanded, how much rebound and give and what color is most desirable

Expand Quote

[close]

Those look cool! Kinda Walmart and that top/roadside bushing looks questionable with the metal bones insert thing but overall they look solid
[close]
Which color is most desirable? Least amount of dye? I wanna go down this rabbit hole
while i think the idea of knowing how loose someone rides their trucks just by looking at the color of their bushings is neat, it would be nice to just have white bushings for every duro for aesthetical reasons.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:56:27 AM by I AM »

Shuh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4831 on: March 14, 2019, 02:54:45 AM »
I considering a new truck, i wanna know what the slappals consensus on forged baseplates no matter what brand. Good or bad? Or watever

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #4832 on: March 14, 2019, 03:48:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes, it does - it feels kinda like if you took an aftermarket indy orange (roadside) with a red (board side.)
[close]

I tried this with the worn in aftermarkets, just didn't feel as good, totally acceptable, but not as good/loosey goosey as with the ACEs.

As they're only a couple of duros off from each other this could be the quality/type of thane but also the height as the aftermarket indy tops are taller than stock indy tops (and the aftermarket bottoms are lower than the stocks...The ACE low bushings are closer to the aftermarket bottoms and stock indy tops :P

/bushing madness
[close]
this is incorrect. aftermarket indy tops are 10mm while stock is 11mm. indy aftermarket barrel and stock bottoms are both 13mm while ace low bottoms are 12mm. aftermarket conical bottoms are 14mm, same as ace standard bottoms. the 90a indy conicals are the closest feel to aces in my experience, mostly because of the superior rebound compared to other duros.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is beautiful. Xen did you make that? Are you Stephen chick? With your technical prowess and rob's marketability you guys could fucking change the world. No more bullshit ass washers coming stock and no shitty ass small chain polymer bushings we want some Binomial pairs too doh doh get your shit together. That's actually an amazing infographic though I saved it in my journal of really. Important things.
[close]

Thanks man! Yeah I would do a parody video of the bushings like the ricta wheels where I have a computer generated 3-d model video showing off the way the bushings perform, check out nhs showing off I think it was the slicks getting all technical

But I would love to start a bushing Buisness with j soy, sadly I’m not an material engineer to know enough about such compounds to concoct the perfect aftermarket bushings for my slap pals, I only know what would be demanded, how much rebound and give and what color is most desirable

Expand Quote
[close]

Those look cool! Kinda Walmart and that top/roadside bushing looks questionable with the metal bones insert thing but overall they look solid
[close]
Which color is most desirable? Least amount of dye? I wanna go down this rabbit hole
[close]
while i think the idea of knowing how loose someone rides their trucks just by looking at the color of their bushings is neat, it would be nice to just have white bushings for every duro for aesthetical reasons.

great idea until roba accidentally drops his bushings box

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4833 on: March 14, 2019, 04:30:22 AM »
I considering a new truck, i wanna know what the slappals consensus on forged baseplates no matter what brand. Good or bad? Or watever
For me it's two things, difference in height and kinda hard landings (cast baseplates seem to be softer when landing). I personally don't like forged one mostly for the landings.

Shuh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4834 on: March 14, 2019, 05:07:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
For me it's two things, difference in height and kinda hard landings (cast baseplates seem to be softer when landing). I personally don't like forged one mostly for the landings.

Interesting never thought about the hard landing stuff,

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4835 on: March 14, 2019, 08:06:13 AM »
3 main advantages of forged:

Tricks that jam the hanger into the baseplate - like slappies
Lighter weight
Lower to the ground

Advantage of cast:

Softer metal somehow = better feel?
Less wheelbite
Krux kingpins can be added easily
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:24:17 AM by Firebert »

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #4836 on: March 14, 2019, 08:59:56 AM »
I'm old and stuck in my ways. Forged BPs just don't look right to me, as if they set things off balance some how. Plus I'm heavy and ride loose trucks, so I want clearance. I like super basic trucks without an overt amount of features, colors etc... in saying that I am searching for some Thunder 151 Team hollows (cast BP) as I heard they've been discontinued...

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4837 on: March 14, 2019, 09:28:10 AM »
I'm perfectly happy right now with my 149 Indy titaniums on a longer WB setup and Venture 5.8 V-lights on a smaller WB setup and I can never let myself be happy so I ordered some of the new Tensor all terrain geometry trucks just to fuck my life up.

Will report back once I'm out of the self-imposed mental purgatory I've created for absolutely no reason

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4838 on: March 14, 2019, 12:57:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

/bushing madness
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Whoops, I was speaking about the conical aftermarkets not barrel; they've always been taller out of the box and aftermarket barrels have always been shorter for some reason (bottoms). In my experience.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #4839 on: March 14, 2019, 03:57:13 PM »
Are there any bushings that do not squeak in colder weather and fit standard Indy trucks? I bought Indy after market 88 and 90 conicals, but they both squeak. I went back to the original barrel bushings that came with the trucks and I like the feel of barrel better but they squeak even more. I have tried waxing the pivot cup and bushings but it does not stop the squeak. I know by summer the bushings will soften up enough to where they won’t squeak but right now it’s getting on my nerves. Is it just Indy bushings? Do bones bushings squeak? Can anyone else relate? I’ll take my answer off Line.

Diocletian

« Reply #4840 on: March 14, 2019, 04:07:42 PM »
Drop of Bones Speed Cream in the pivot cup and then put some on a few sheets of paper towel and dab the ends of the bushings on it so they’re greased up. Should work. Or dry bike chain lube.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #4841 on: March 14, 2019, 05:45:13 PM »
On forged vs cast....I drop those krux kinpins so cast it is....thunders the teams have an extra mill of height too....

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #4842 on: March 14, 2019, 08:18:06 PM »
Are there any bushings that do not squeak in colder weather and fit standard Indy trucks? I bought Indy after market 88 and 90 conicals, but they both squeak. I went back to the original barrel bushings that came with the trucks and I like the feel of barrel better but they squeak even more. I have tried waxing the pivot cup and bushings but it does not stop the squeak. I know by summer the bushings will soften up enough to where they won’t squeak but right now it’s getting on my nerves. Is it just Indy bushings? Do bones bushings squeak? Can anyone else relate? I’ll take my answer off Line.

I tried bearing lube and it works OK, but not for very long. I recommend grease from an auto parts store, it lasts longer for me. For me, 90% of the squeaks come from the pivot cups, I don't actually grease my bushings.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4843 on: March 15, 2019, 08:19:42 AM »
On the topic of Ace trucks, has anyone hammered in a hollow kingpin that isn’t a krux? Which ones fit? Indy? Thunder? Destructo?

At least the standard Indy kingpin and older Ace kingpin have completely different slits in them. I put some steel epoxy on my loose Ace kingpins a few years back and considered replacing the kingpins with new ones while at it and Indy was all I could find easily but once I compared them side to side, it was pretty clear that the Indy kingpins likely wouldn't fit at all.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4844 on: March 15, 2019, 02:44:50 PM »
Expand Quote
On the topic of Ace trucks, has anyone hammered in a hollow kingpin that isn’t a krux? Which ones fit? Indy? Thunder? Destructo?
[close]

At least the standard Indy kingpin and older Ace kingpin have completely different slits in them. I put some steel epoxy on my loose Ace kingpins a few years back and considered replacing the kingpins with new ones while at it and Indy was all I could find easily but once I compared them side to side, it was pretty clear that the Indy kingpins likely wouldn't fit at all.

The Desctruco hollows fit, with some work.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #4845 on: March 15, 2019, 03:27:25 PM »
I hammered out my aces and put in a krux....works well....

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #4846 on: March 17, 2019, 07:04:52 PM »
Curious as to if Mariano is riding thunders or ventures now

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4847 on: March 17, 2019, 07:18:09 PM »
I'm sure maybe this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find anything online. If I'm sticking to 8.25 and up from now on, what Indys between 144 vs 149 do you guys prefer and why.

Avoid buying trucks at all cost and currently in the market.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4848 on: March 17, 2019, 07:35:59 PM »
144s work great on an 8.25, but i had them on an 8.375 and it was the worst feeling so i sized up to 149s and its a dream

verylowimpact

« Reply #4849 on: March 17, 2019, 07:56:28 PM »
144s work great on an 8.25, but i had them on an 8.375 and it was the worst feeling so i sized up to 149s and its a dream

Crazy such a small amount would matter that much. Got couple 8.25's and a 8.38 on deck. Don't know how to decide. Getting new trucks is like marriage for me. Lol.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4850 on: March 17, 2019, 09:12:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Crazy such a small amount would matter that much. Got couple 8.25's and a 8.38 on deck. Don't know how to decide. Getting new trucks is like marriage for me. Lol.

144/8.25
144/149 8.3

It really depends on what you are skating...do you need the pinch/hanger room?

verylowimpact

« Reply #4851 on: March 17, 2019, 09:19:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

144/8.25
144/149 8.3

It really depends on what you are skating...do you need the pinch/hanger room?

Went with 144. I'm old and occasionally like to try to flip the board when the mood strikes me so I figure, I need all the help I can get ;)

I plan to stick to 8.25 range and not bigger than a 8.3 for the foreseeable future, even though I like the idea of a Chico type setup being an older head, I just can't see myself getting there. The 8.3 is a shape type board so I figure, whatever, all sort of wacky anyhow.

Hope I made the right decision :-\

Getting new trucks is stressful. Lol.

clintendo

• Rep: 25
« Reply #4852 on: March 17, 2019, 10:25:45 PM »
Bit off topic to the above posts but recently replaced my pivot cups to riptides, I ride Theeve 6.5's and they have made a world of difference. Originally thought nothing of pivot cups but yeah, bowl skating has become a breeze since the trucks now swerve when I want them too without having to have rattling trucks.

BMCsteve

« Reply #4853 on: March 18, 2019, 08:33:04 AM »
Spent the weekend skating the new Tensor All Terrain Geometry Mag Lights and I'm pretty amazed.  They redesigned these completely from the ground up without any considerations to previous Tensor models and it shows. 

The turning is quick, responsive and deep.  The trucks are incredibly stable on center which is something I have been looking for since I stopped skating Theeve.  Basically when you bend down to pop, the trucks stay completely centered but when you carve on transition and lean into the truck they have a really quick, progressive turn.  It's hard to describe but they do not feel anything like Indy/Thunder/Venture.  I think this is all due to not only the geometry but also the interlocking bushings

The trucks are 55m high which you notice due to lack of wheelbite but they dont feel high when you pop.  Standard Indy's feel "tippy" to me and these are nothing like that.

The magnesium grind is butter smooth and feels similar to the aluminum that Ace uses.  Kingpin clearance is huge and you'll likely get to the axle before you hit your kingpin except for smiths and feebles. 

As long as I can get the marketing from Indy and Thunder out of my head and just skate what feels best for me, I'll be on these from now on.

Pics:

Here's a video from the dude that designed them

Here's an overview of the features

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4854 on: March 18, 2019, 08:39:49 AM »
Skated those for a bit and put them on my girls cruiser board. Loved their turn & grinding, but Coming from Thunders, the height-difference was a bit much for me which was why stopped skating them. They’re defintely worth a shot if you’re interested tho. Mag-lites are actually lighter than Ti Thunders which is crazy because the tensors are way taller and look much  “bigger” but are crazy light. Grinds crusty ledges better than anything I’ve ever skated too.

Shiiiiiiiiiit, gonna have me fuck around and switch my shit out again the more i keep talking about them 😂
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:41:55 AM by DaSk8D00D »

BMCsteve

« Reply #4855 on: March 18, 2019, 08:43:39 AM »
Skated those for a bit and put them on my girls cruiser board. Coming from Thunders, the height-difference was a bit much for me which was why stopped skating them but the new Tensors are defintely worth a shot if you’re interested. Mag-lites are actually lighter than Ti Thunders which is crazy because the tensors are way taller and look “bigger” but are crazy light. Their turn is pretty nice too

Shiiiiiiiiiit, gonna have me fuck around and switch my shit out again the more i keep talking about them 😂

Yeah, I was surprised that the height didn't bother me at all but I've only been skating Indy and Venture (both with forged baseplates and both 53.5mm) so the difference wasn't as much as coming from Thunder.

for the weight weenies out there, the Tensors are 276g, Thunder Ti are 311g and Indy Ti are 340g.  They are insanely light

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #4856 on: March 18, 2019, 01:29:11 PM »
What do those new all terrain tensors do to the wheelbase, or how much wheel clearance on nose/tail slides?

BMCsteve

« Reply #4857 on: March 18, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »
What do those new all terrain tensors do to the wheelbase, or how much wheel clearance on nose/tail slides?

In regards to wheelbase, they seem to extend it more than Indy but less than Thunder.  The baseplate makes about the same amount of contact as an Indy baseplate.  You can see the contact points in my pic above.  That's with 52mm wheels

BMCsteve

« Reply #4858 on: March 18, 2019, 03:54:29 PM »
What width are those tensors? Thank you for the review, they look nice.

Hangar is a 5.75 (149) and the axle is 8.5

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4859 on: March 18, 2019, 08:55:37 PM »
Do you guys really like the aluminum they use for aces?

I like the way the trucks are but something about the floppy weighty feel of the metal throws me off coming from skating the grade of aluminum on thunders and Indy

The aces feel sorta heavy like but I know they can’t be heavier than Indy’s

Comparing 44 to 144
yes