Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232201 times)

Diocletian

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4860 on: March 18, 2019, 11:02:17 PM »
^Ace 44’s are like 2g lighter than standard 149 Indy’s.

Those Tensors are intriguing based on the smooth grind and decent turn, but I’d be afraid of breaking baseplates from slappies. I’ve broken several Ace plates and they were the cast aluminums, not the mags.

I AM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
« Reply #4861 on: March 18, 2019, 11:18:17 PM »
Do you guys really like the aluminum they use for aces?

I like the way the trucks are but something about the floppy weighty feel of the metal throws me off coming from skating the grade of aluminum on thunders and Indy

The aces feel sorta heavy like but I know they can’t be heavier than Indy’s

Comparing 44 to 144
i like it because of how they grind. i think the base plate is the culprit for the “floppy” feeling. when i rode ace hangers with indy baseplates they felt more…solid? meaty? they didn't have that weird feeling of the trucks somehow bending and squishing underneath you when you do something slightly aggressive.the ace plates should have stronger/harder material, maybe a thicker redesign (of the base plate only) would help. weight wise, ace should feel lighter because of the shorter wheel base, maybe the softer bottom bushings have something to do with it? maybe the hanger not being hollowed out has a placebo effect and you just think it's heavier.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4862 on: March 19, 2019, 06:36:27 AM »
Expand Quote

I like the way the trucks are but something about the floppy weighty feel of the metal throws me off coming from skating the grade of aluminum on thunders and Indy

Comparing 44 to 144
[close]
i like it because of how they grind. i think the base plate is the culprit for the “floppy” feeling. when i rode ace hangers with indy baseplates they felt more…solid? meaty? they didn't have that weird feeling of the trucks somehow bending and squishing underneath you when you do something slightly aggressive.the ace plates should have stronger/harder material, maybe a thicker redesign (of the base plate only) would help. weight wise, ace should feel lighter because of the shorter wheel base, maybe the softer bottom bushings have something to do with it? maybe the hanger not being hollowed out has a placebo effect and you just think it's heavier.

Yeah i don’t know what I’m feeling but it definitely feels not as solid

I’ve been on a binge of setting up board after board trying to see what I really want to stick to and that’s why this got brought up

I got the ace 44 on a 8.25 real low pro II and it’s nice cause my feet somehow always end up in a Ollie ready position no matter what on the tail and middle of the board

8.25 girl old wood/shape with 148 thunder titanium’s cause the old girl boards were heavy

8.38/8.5 anti hero with 148 thunder lights

7.9 aws with venture 5.2 lo

8.06 krooked with 4.0/8” krux downlows

I had the 8.38 mini logos setup but I felt they’re already reliable on what I want mostly out of my truck/setup to feel so they’ll stay on the rebound

Haters can hate but johnes knows what’s up, wide and stable with lower center of gravity for good control and quick response while still giving a decent turnability despite being a low truck with cylinder bushings

Also I’m a kook about the wheels setup on the trucks and couldn’t figure out the right wheels for the mini logo to look and feel proper
yes

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #4863 on: March 19, 2019, 03:57:14 PM »

Comparing 44 to 144

I was always under the impression Ace's were heavier than Indy's. Before regurgitating that I just weighed an Ace 44 and an Indy 149. The Ace came in at 389g and the Indy at 394g. Not a lot lighter, but there ya go.

I suppose it might be possible the 144 is in fact a tiny amount lighter than the Ace 44, but until Indy makes a 8 3/8" truck you're never going to get totally fair point of comparison.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 04:00:16 PM by palelight »

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #4864 on: March 20, 2019, 09:55:55 PM »
Can anyone who has used Ventures (STEVE?) confirm or deny that they "don't turn" as everyone says? I've wanted to try them for the longest but I ride my trucks in between medium and Daewon so no turning is a no go for me. I also skate street and low impact stuff about 95% of the time.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4865 on: March 20, 2019, 10:03:14 PM »
Can anyone who has used Ventures (STEVE?) confirm or deny that they "don't turn" as everyone says? I've wanted to try them for the longest but I ride my trucks in between medium and Daewon so no turning is a no go for me. I also skate street and low impact stuff about 95% of the time.

The lows definitely don’t turn much or almost at all

You really gotta try for it to start turning half as much as a thunder can but I love how straight and centered they stay so my pop and tricks are confident not to steer and lean away

I stepped on a set of my friends 5.8 hi before and I was very surprised at how surfy they were, he told me he got new trucks and he was always an Indy guy and before I found out they were venture hi he told me not to look and try them out and guess and I honestly thought they were Indy’s and low and behold them sons of bitches was 5.8 hi ventures

So the 5.8 hi can turn but I think they just don’t carve as good as an Indy, he rode his trucks medium loose with no deck side washer by the way if that helps
yes

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4866 on: March 20, 2019, 10:16:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You really gotta try for it to start turning half as much as a thunder can but I love how straight and centered they stay so my pop and tricks are confident not to steer and lean away

I stepped on a set of my friends 5.8 hi before and I was very surprised at how surfy they were, he told me he got new trucks and he was always an Indy guy and before I found out they were venture hi he told me not to look and try them out and guess and I honestly thought they were Indy’s and low and behold them sons of bitches was 5.8 hi ventures

So the 5.8 hi can turn but I think they just don’t carve as good as an Indy, he rode his trucks medium loose with no deck side washer by the way if that helps
First off, thanks for the reply Rob. You're a fucking G!

Anyway, I'm glad you thought the 5.8 highs were surfy seeing as that'd be what I'd skate. And I don't mind if they stay straight and don't seem to turn as much as Thunders (those things wheel bite almost at will) but I still want to be able to turn when I want to, not just have the board lean, if that makes any sense?

Also what made them feel like Indy lows? Aren't they the same 55mm height as normal cast Indys?

I just re-watched Westgate's War and peace part as well as his New Balance solo part and they seem to turn pretty good.

I mean look at the video below @ 8:33

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4867 on: March 20, 2019, 10:30:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Anyway, I'm glad you thought the 5.8 highs were surfy seeing as that'd be what I'd skate. And I don't mind if they stay straight and don't seem to turn as much as Thunders (those things wheel bite almost at will) but I still want to be able to turn when I want to, not just have the board lean, if that makes any sense?

Also what made them feel like Indy lows? Aren't they the same 55mm height as normal cast Indys?

I just re-watched Westgate's War and peace part as well as his New Balance solo part and they seem to turn pretty good.

Oh I meant the 5.8 high felt like a standard high 149 Indy almost, not to be mistaken with the 139 lows I always skate myself

And from what everyone saying here and my speculation the venture hi are 53.5mm tall like a forged/Indy light

I’m thinking to grab a set of 5.8 hi myself for my 8.2 and up size decks to try
yes

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4868 on: March 20, 2019, 10:30:34 PM »

I've been using mine on and off since they released, and I still feel like they're really great trucks. After a long extensive use of them, my biggest problem with them is honestly how smooth they grind. They grind like butter, but they have caused me slip out of so many grinds on them because of it. Grinding them on crusty shit is nice, but grinding them on metal coping or ledges can be extremely slippery. Also try to avoid to do doing a lot high impact shit with the magnesium sets, as I have bent an axle on one set from the impact of a decent sized gap.

That all being said, I always find myself gravitating back towards them because of how light they are, and how smooth they grind. I'm normally a low impact person anyways, so I'm rarely hucking myself off gaps and stairs.

I've switched to some Ace 44's in the meantime and I am really liking them. I think the only thing I want to try with these is a set of riptide cups, and see what the hype is about.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4869 on: March 20, 2019, 10:35:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh I meant the 5.8 high felt like a standard high 149 Indy almost, not to be mistaken with the 139 lows I always skate myself

And from what everyone saying here and my speculation the venture hi are 53.5mm tall like a forged/Indy light

I’m thinking to grab a set of 5.8 hi myself for my 8.2 and up size decks to try
Oh okay. I thought I remember someone saying Venture his are 55mm thanks. You have me really wanting to try some if they are basically a more stable, slightly less surfy Indys as long they aren't like Krux which seem to want to lean instead of turn.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4870 on: March 20, 2019, 11:27:16 PM »
Venture 5.8s are 55 mm high. They're interesting trucks for sure. They're quite stable in the middle but not in a bad way (like Indys with Bones bushings are IMO). They turn pretty nice BUT the turn isn't very deep at all. It's kind of weird all in all. The pop on them is absolutely magical. Compared to Krux, they turn much more nicely but I'm not sure if they turn more. The feeling of the turn is definitely nicer. Very hard to wheelbite with 54 mm wheels. I put mine on a cruiser and put Indy super soft bushings in them to make them very loose. They work out nicely with that as I rarely need to turn very deep with a cruiser. For my main set up I'm running Aces cuz the turn on them is absolutely wonderful compared to anything else.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4871 on: March 21, 2019, 12:51:39 AM »
Venture 5.8s are 55 mm high. They're interesting trucks for sure. They're quite stable in the middle but not in a bad way (like Indys with Bones bushings are IMO). They turn pretty nice BUT the turn isn't very deep at all. It's kind of weird all in all. The pop on them is absolutely magical. Compared to Krux, they turn much more nicely but I'm not sure if they turn more. The feeling of the turn is definitely nicer. Very hard to wheelbite with 54 mm wheels. I put mine on a cruiser and put Indy super soft bushings in them to make them very loose. They work out nicely with that as I rarely need to turn very deep with a cruiser. For my main set up I'm running Aces cuz the turn on them is absolutely wonderful compared to anything else.
I KNEW THEY WAS!

Anyway, sad to hear they actually don't turn more than Krux. Guess I'll just stick with Indys. To me, other trucks are like the Plaza hotel and Indys are like your house. You can having the time of your life at a nice ass hotel but after a while you just want to go home.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4872 on: March 21, 2019, 04:15:11 AM »

This pretty much nails it.  also, I skate the forged baseplate Ventures which are 53.5 (same as indy).  If you skate mostly transition you would be better suited on Indy/Ace.  but if you're like me and skate 80% street and 20% transition (terribly), they're a great truck

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #4873 on: March 21, 2019, 10:00:22 AM »
Spent the weekend skating the new Tensor All Terrain Geometry Mag Lights and I'm pretty amazed.  They redesigned these completely from the ground up without any considerations to previous Tensor models and it shows. 

The turning is quick, responsive and deep.  The trucks are incredibly stable on center which is something I have been looking for since I stopped skating Theeve.  Basically when you bend down to pop, the trucks stay completely centered but when you carve on transition and lean into the truck they have a really quick, progressive turn.  It's hard to describe but they do not feel anything like Indy/Thunder/Venture.  I think this is all due to not only the geometry but also the interlocking bushings

The trucks are 55m high which you notice due to lack of wheelbite but they dont feel high when you pop.  Standard Indy's feel "tippy" to me and these are nothing like that.

The magnesium grind is butter smooth and feels similar to the aluminum that Ace uses.  Kingpin clearance is huge and you'll likely get to the axle before you hit your kingpin except for smiths and feebles. 

As long as I can get the marketing from Indy and Thunder out of my head and just skate what feels best for me, I'll be on these from now on.

Pics:

Here's a video from the dude that designed them

Here's an overview of the features

Shit. Now I want tensors. I need to stop reading this thread

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #4874 on: March 21, 2019, 10:48:57 AM »
the theeve bushings are way waaaay too hard and any bones/cored bushing seems to catch on the hanger or something and just stop turning so if you ride theeves real loose give me bushing recommendations

Larry Dallas

« Reply #4875 on: March 21, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I KNEW THEY WAS!

Anyway, sad to hear they actually don't turn more than Krux. Guess I'll just stick with Indys. To me, other trucks are like the Plaza hotel and Indys are like your house. You can having the time of your life at a nice ass hotel but after a while you just want to go home.
They’re not 55mm high.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4876 on: March 21, 2019, 08:55:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I KNEW THEY WAS!

[close]
They’re not 55mm high.

Just measured some v-lights and they're 50-51mm so add 1.5mm for the standard baseplate

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4877 on: March 21, 2019, 10:27:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I KNEW THEY WAS!

[close]
They’re not 55mm high.
[close]

Just measured some v-lights and they're 50-51mm so add 1.5mm for the standard baseplate

So they’re 53mm tall for the standards?
yes

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #4878 on: March 22, 2019, 04:30:23 AM »
Curious as to if Mariano is riding thunders or ventures now
Thunders it seems.

papo

• Rep: -191
« Reply #4879 on: March 22, 2019, 04:44:55 AM »
Why did some of you take out the washers?

Pastasash

• Rep: 75
« Reply #4880 on: March 22, 2019, 06:49:32 AM »
Been a big Indy guy for the majority of my skate “career” and Bobby Worrest is one of my favorite skaters. So when he left for Venture and saw his new pro trucks (and that amazing new pulaski part) it made me want to try them out.

For those who have switched over from Indy to Venture what would you recommend? Should I go for it?

I skate 159 Indys and skate mostly ledges, flat bars, and qp’s. Thanks!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4881 on: March 22, 2019, 08:25:44 AM »
Yes....I some how have that they are the only trucks that matter....stuck in my head....

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #4882 on: March 22, 2019, 08:36:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I KNEW THEY WAS!

[close]
They’re not 55mm high.
[close]

[close]

a 5.8 hi is 54 mm tall for sure, the low's are probably 52mm but thats speculation

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4883 on: March 22, 2019, 08:39:01 AM »
Love Ventures, just bought my second set of V-Hollows (5.2 Hi) but randomly switching cos advertising? Nah. Main thing for me is how totally neutral they perform.... other trucks it's like the board is skating me. Ventures I can put as much lean and stress on any turn as I need and they very, very rarely feel like they're gonna slip out or speed wobble, most likely I'll just transfer into a slide but controllable. Other trucks nearly always put me on my ass....

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4884 on: March 22, 2019, 08:42:30 AM »
they turn plenty out the box untightened too I guess, but for me the magic is in that medium zone hacking down the street at speed so... YMMV

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #4885 on: March 22, 2019, 08:51:37 AM »
Love Ventures, just bought my second set of V-Hollows (5.2 Hi) but randomly switching cos advertising? Nah. Main thing for me is how totally neutral they perform.... other trucks it's like the board is skating me. Ventures I can put as much lean and stress on any turn as I need and they very, very rarely feel like they're gonna slip out or speed wobble, most likely I'll just transfer into a slide but controllable. Other trucks nearly always put me on my ass....

That's an interesting analysis. Thunder and Indy do seem to have their own character very much so. Like you can tell by watching someone skate if they're on one or the other. I like all of the big 3 for different reasons and wish I could just swear by one but inevitably I'll have a bad session and want to skate different trucks to "fix" whatever problem I was having. Has anyone here ever been trapped in this cycle and actually broken it??

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4886 on: March 23, 2019, 02:10:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I KNEW THEY WAS!

[close]
They’re not 55mm high.
[close]

[close]

[close]

a 5.8 hi is 54 mm tall for sure, the low's are probably 52mm but thats speculation

I can definitely tell you with evidence the venture lows are most definitely not “52mm”

I’m skating them now on a smaller deck than my usual 8.1/8.2 preference and they are around 48mm tall

Loving them right now on my 7.9 setup

They’re so stable and respond so good

They don’t turn good but they do a little
yes

hangontoyourego

« Reply #4887 on: March 23, 2019, 09:07:26 AM »
Been a big Indy guy for the majority of my skate “career” and Bobby Worrest is one of my favorite skaters. So when he left for Venture and saw his new pro trucks (and that amazing new pulaski part) it made me want to try them out.

For those who have switched over from Indy to Venture what would you recommend? Should I go for it?

I skate 159 Indys and skate mostly ledges, flat bars, and qp’s. Thanks!
unfortunately venture’s widest is the 5.8 so i don’t think that’s wide enough. i’ve been on ventures for years and i love em . they have the best design . i’ve been using the dlx bushings in them . i’m stoked to try the new titanium next month .

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4888 on: March 25, 2019, 11:53:59 AM »
the theeve bushings are way waaaay too hard and any bones/cored bushing seems to catch on the hanger or something and just stop turning so if you ride theeves real loose give me bushing recommendations

Stock Theeve bushings are hard as fuck, not Bones Hard but harder than Bones Meds. I use Bones mediums on the bottoms and bones softs on the tops.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #4889 on: March 25, 2019, 12:54:10 PM »
So I already mentioned in this thread that a few weeks back I threw some of the new ace bushings in my Krux and it made them amazing, surfy, and way stable - well, after skating a handful of sessions the magic has kind of worn off, should I make the switch to a different truck brand or is this maybe something that the ever-hyped riptide pivot cups would remedy?