Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232724 times)

I AM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4890 on: March 25, 2019, 05:08:21 PM »
Expand Quote
the theeve bushings are way waaaay too hard and any bones/cored bushing seems to catch on the hanger or something and just stop turning so if you ride theeves real loose give me bushing recommendations
[close]

Stock Theeve bushings are hard as fuck, not Bones Hard but harder than Bones Meds. I use Bones mediums on the bottoms and bones softs on the tops.
yea i tried something like that but the cores hit the hanger way too quick and i can't turn at all. right now im trying thunder 90a on them and while they don't rebound at all,  it's still rideable, but it's a very on/off feel, even without washers. i'm thinking of trying khiro 73a bitch bushings. has anyone tried them? hows the rebound? also thought it was weird how with the stock bottom bushings and washers, the kingpin was off center, but when you take the bottom washer out, it was on center, and when it's actually on center they turn worse.

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4891 on: March 26, 2019, 12:50:54 AM »
So I already mentioned in this thread that a few weeks back I threw some of the new ace bushings in my Krux and it made them amazing, surfy, and way stable - well, after skating a handful of sessions the magic has kind of worn off, should I make the switch to a different truck brand or is this maybe something that the ever-hyped riptide pivot cups would remedy?

Nothing will make krux turn...I tried everything without results.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4892 on: March 26, 2019, 03:56:03 AM »
Yooooo guys I just lurked the venture trucks insta and they said in response to one of you kooks who commented they are definitely working on a 8.25 venture hi

Just when I was about to settle getting some 5.8 hi for my 8.1-8.3 big decks

yes

clintendo

• Rep: 25
« Reply #4893 on: March 26, 2019, 04:16:45 AM »
Expand Quote
the theeve bushings are way waaaay too hard and any bones/cored bushing seems to catch on the hanger or something and just stop turning so if you ride theeves real loose give me bushing recommendations
[close]

Stock Theeve bushings are hard as fuck, not Bones Hard but harder than Bones Meds. I use Bones mediums on the bottoms and bones softs on the tops.

The standard Theeve bushing compound is exactly between a hard and medium bones bushing, if you want them loose, go to mediums

thebacker

« Reply #4894 on: March 26, 2019, 05:24:22 AM »
Yooooo guys I just lurked the venture trucks insta and they said in response to one of you kooks who commented they are definitely working on a 8.25 venture hi

never change rob

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #4895 on: March 26, 2019, 05:33:22 AM »
What’s the verdict on Bones hardcores in Thunders? I’ve heard they fuck up the geometry but I also see plenty of people running them. I was gonna get a new set of trucks on account of my axle threads being mangled but after getting the bad ones rethreaded the trucks are still in good condition bar the rear bushings blowing out and causing wobbles. Local bike shop has them in for cheap as shit so I might give em a shot.

I AM

« Reply #4896 on: March 26, 2019, 06:13:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The standard Theeve bushing compound is exactly between a hard and medium bones bushing, if you want them loose, go to mediums
can you people not read? i specifically stated that cored bushings don't work for me . 

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #4897 on: March 26, 2019, 08:57:54 AM »
What’s the verdict on Bones hardcores in Thunders? I’ve heard they fuck up the geometry but I also see plenty of people running them. I was gonna get a new set of trucks on account of my axle threads being mangled but after getting the bad ones rethreaded the trucks are still in good condition bar the rear bushings blowing out and causing wobbles. Local bike shop has them in for cheap as shit so I might give em a shot.
Tyshawn rides them.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #4898 on: March 26, 2019, 01:53:20 PM »
I see people leave the top or bottom washers, or both, off in their setups - can anyone explain what the difference is between the two or what the goal is in the first place?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4899 on: March 26, 2019, 01:56:21 PM »
I see people leave the top or bottom washers, or both, off in their setups - can anyone explain what the difference is between the two or what the goal is in the first place?

Goal is looser trucks. Leaving the bottom one out with stock height bushing messes up the geometry slightly. Leaving the top one out will make the top bushing more susceptible to damage.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4900 on: March 26, 2019, 02:51:54 PM »
What is the durometer on Thunder bushings for 147 hi? Thanks in advance.

JustSomeDumbassGuyPosting

« Reply #4901 on: March 26, 2019, 03:01:54 PM »
I feel the lip of a washer has so much to do with the way the bushing performs. Using a bones washer is pretty similar to washer less in feel, less squirelly though by a bit but very similar. It's convenient, especially for roadside bushing protection. I do it with all trucks, remove the roadside washer and put in bones.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #4902 on: March 26, 2019, 07:23:12 PM »
What is the durometer on Thunder bushings for 147 hi? Thanks in advance.

I AM

« Reply #4903 on: March 26, 2019, 07:33:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Goal is looser trucks. Leaving the bottom one out with stock height bushing messes up the geometry slightly. Leaving the top one out will make the top bushing more susceptible to damage.
mmm i think that depends on the quality of the bushing it self. with the washers, indy stock bushings get cracked and mangled real quick, with out washers that doesn't happen as easily. i guess the top bushing gets a bit squished in the middle where the nut goes, but other than that, less pressure = less damage. not having washers feels more natural and smooth, free flowing/surfy. there's no limit to the turn other than wheelbite. it helps with rebound too because there's no constant pressure from the washers. it's a bit lighter also, but i don't think anyone does it for that reason.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4904 on: March 27, 2019, 02:20:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
never change rob

you sound like one of my pals, they say the same cause even on the streets I’m the gear kook like on this message board

got a new setup or need to fix your setup I will do everything to fix and convince you what’s best
yes

Compl(i)ements

« Reply #4905 on: March 27, 2019, 06:16:44 AM »
Do your pals know how lucky they are to have you? Some of us need to log into a forum to be graced with knowledge; no internet, no rob. It's like being friends with a internist MD. They should be greatful.

I AM

« Reply #4906 on: March 27, 2019, 06:37:14 AM »

Went back to my old Indy’s, but at the time of skating these I basically only ever skated a mini and back 50s/5-0s have left a perfect rounded area on the truck. Anyone else hate trying to skate ledges on this kind of shit? Just slips right out underneath me because of the groove. Any ways of remedying this other than the obvious ‘do some slappies’?

Ps: does anyone know how well Ace hangers would fit into Indy baseplates?
just get better at skateboarding. uhhm don't grooves help you lock in? don't really get the complaint here.

ace stage 3s (the newest ones with softer bushings) dont fit unless you put the ace pivot cups in the indy baseplate. dont really know about stage 2s but stage 1s fit indy baseplates perfectly.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:29:15 AM by I AM »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #4907 on: March 27, 2019, 07:11:00 AM »

Went back to my old Indy’s, but at the time of skating these I basically only ever skated a mini and back 50s/5-0s have left a perfect rounded area on the truck. Anyone else hate trying to skate ledges on this kind of shit? Just slips right out underneath me because of the groove. Any ways of remedying this other than the obvious ‘do some slappies’?

Ps: does anyone know how well Ace hangers would fit into Indy baseplates?

honestly the answer really is just do some slappies to even it out or get a new set. my last set of thunders had a groove like that down to the axle from a year of skating tranny and when i started skating street itd fuck me up on 5050s etc because it'd slip into the groove.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4908 on: March 27, 2019, 08:07:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
never change rob
[close]

you sound like one of my pals, they say the same cause even on the streets I’m the gear kook like on this message board

got a new setup or need to fix your setup I will do everything to fix and convince you what’s best
I like to do manuals and skate ledges. I want to get more tech but Indys were so heavy and high that I switched to 147 hi Thunders. I'm just having truck madness and not sure if I'd prefer Thunders or Ventures since I've never skated a pair of Ventures.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4909 on: March 27, 2019, 08:59:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
never change rob
[close]

Venture insta comment was 'soon' to the 8.25" question; 5.8Ti in April.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:07:48 AM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4910 on: March 27, 2019, 05:13:00 PM »
Wonder if they'll go Hi or Lo.....hope they go Lo...

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1188
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4911 on: March 27, 2019, 06:19:09 PM »
Pardon me if this was already asked, but has anyone skated thunder team titaniums?

Is it worth the extra cost?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #4912 on: March 27, 2019, 06:32:28 PM »
If you desire the lightest setup, it is a noticeable difference.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #4913 on: March 27, 2019, 09:26:18 PM »
Wonder if they'll go Hi or Lo.....hope they go Lo...

Would be nice to have a low option 8.25+ besides mini-logo (unless I'm missing something).

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4914 on: March 27, 2019, 10:36:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
never change rob
[close]

[close]
I like to do manuals and skate ledges. I want to get more tech but Indys were so heavy and high that I switched to 147 hi Thunders. I'm just having truck madness and not sure if I'd prefer Thunders or Ventures since I've never skated a pair of Ventures.

If you want an overall more versatile setup, thunders

but if you like sticking to street low and tech even jumping off stuff(idk about over and across) then ventures(mainly the lo) are your truck

Sadly I’m sure it’s only going to be an 8.25 hi venture but man that would be crazy to have a venture lo 8.25, I would rock those for as long as I can

I wanna use my 5.2 on a bigger deck next(8.1-8.3) but I feel it’s gonna be such a magic carpet feel and throw me off

Loving my 5.2 lo on this 7.9 aws, works so perfectly and nostalgic
yes

Compl(i)ements

« Reply #4915 on: March 27, 2019, 11:34:47 PM »
Sorry if this has been answered. I have Indy ti 149 from over a year ago I've been skating and I got some new 144s I wanted to swap the hangars and see what works best for me on 8.3, the 144s have IIII stamped on the hangar instead of IV like the 149s, is this gonna be a problem to mix up base plates and hangars?

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #4916 on: March 28, 2019, 12:53:41 AM »
Sorry if this has been answered. I have Indy ti 149 from over a year ago I've been skating and I got some new 144s I wanted to swap the hangars and see what works best for me on 8.3, the 144s have IIII stamped on the hangar instead of IV like the 149s, is this gonna be a problem to mix up base plates and hangars?

Nah, you'll be fine. Baseplates and hangers on any standard size stage 11's  are interchangeable - forged, hollow, cast, all the same geometry save for the 1.5mm or so height on the forged baseplates, but that doesn't affect the fit between hanger and plate. So, experiment away.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4917 on: March 28, 2019, 03:01:47 AM »

109 - I
129 - II
139 - III
144 - IIII
149 - IV
159 - V
169 - VI
215 - VII

?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4918 on: March 28, 2019, 04:46:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
never change rob
[close]

[close]
[close]

If you want an overall more versatile setup, thunders

but if you like sticking to street low and tech even jumping off stuff(idk about over and across) then ventures(mainly the lo) are your truck

Sadly I’m sure it’s only going to be an 8.25 hi venture but man that would be crazy to have a venture lo 8.25, I would rock those for as long as I can

I wanna use my 5.2 on a bigger deck next(8.1-8.3) but I feel it’s gonna be such a magic carpet feel and throw me off

Loving my 5.2 lo on this 7.9 aws, works so perfectly and nostalgic
🙏

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4919 on: March 28, 2019, 06:45:39 AM »
Pardon me if this was already asked, but has anyone skated thunder team titaniums?

Is it worth the extra cost?

The hollows aren't too much heavier....the mm on the baseplate of the teams is luxury.....

Venture Hi' appeals to me like Indy Lo.....