Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232904 times)

ultrabra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4920 on: March 28, 2019, 08:34:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Wonder if they'll go Hi or Lo.....hope they go Lo...
[close]

Would be nice to have a low option 8.25+ besides mini-logo (unless I'm missing something).

Why make an 8.25 low truck? I mean everybody else makes hi trucks. That must mean that there simply is no market for an low one. Right?

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #4921 on: March 28, 2019, 08:44:35 AM »
I feel like Venture low and hi 5.2 is not big enough for 8 decks. I ride it with 7.75 and it looks and feels perfect.

I often am torn between my regular 8.25 hi setup and my sub 8 with low setup a lot because I love the feeling and control I get with low trucks. I love the wider truck because the way I lean and the way I pinch grinds on bigger trucks. 
If they can figure out how to tweak and make a 8.25 low that would be amazing I would ride that on my main setup.

ultrabra

« Reply #4922 on: March 28, 2019, 09:21:17 AM »
I feel like Venture low and hi 5.2 is not big enough for 8 decks. I ride it with 7.75 and it looks and feels perfect.

I often am torn between my regular 8.25 hi setup and my sub 8 with low setup a lot because I love the feeling and control I get with low trucks. I love the wider truck because the way I lean and the way I pinch grinds on bigger trucks. 
If they can figure out how to tweak and make a 8.25 low that would be amazing I would ride that on my main setup.

One way would be to copy ML trucks.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4923 on: March 28, 2019, 09:54:31 AM »

Going to run 5.2 lows on my next 8.25. Been running the lows on my smaller setup and I don't think I can go back...but I also don't mind having a little overhang.

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4924 on: March 28, 2019, 10:07:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Sorry if this has been answered. I have Indy ti 149 from over a year ago I've been skating and I got some new 144s I wanted to swap the hangars and see what works best for me on 8.3, the 144s have IIII stamped on the hangar instead of IV like the 149s, is this gonna be a problem to mix up base plates and hangars?
[close]

Nah, you'll be fine. Baseplates and hangers on any standard size stage 11's  are interchangeable - forged, hollow, cast, all the same geometry save for the 1.5mm or so height on the forged baseplates, but that doesn't affect the fit between hanger and plate. So, experiment away.

I asked a similar question a few pages back. I got some 139 stage 11 forged hollow baseplates and some stage 11 Rowley hangars with some brand new black bushings in them from a cruiser off eBay. I put them on my normal board and it was the absolute worst situation. The trucks would go in one direction, didn't matter how loose I kept them. I boiled the bushings also. The hanger was wiggling in the pivot cup, nothing felt stable and that god damn mind of it's own turn..argh. Not sure if it was my OCD but I felt like those things did not fit right whatsoever and would never break in...I've had new trucks and this shit was way more wacky with the mind of it's own situation. I bought new trucks.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4925 on: March 28, 2019, 11:45:09 AM »

Thunder TI lights would be the best option, they're currently the only low 8.25 option (Seeing as ML are 8.38)

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #4926 on: March 28, 2019, 12:46:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Sorry if this has been answered. I have Indy ti 149 from over a year ago I've been skating and I got some new 144s I wanted to swap the hangars and see what works best for me on 8.3, the 144s have IIII stamped on the hangar instead of IV like the 149s, is this gonna be a problem to mix up base plates and hangars?
[close]

Nah, you'll be fine. Baseplates and hangers on any standard size stage 11's  are interchangeable - forged, hollow, cast, all the same geometry save for the 1.5mm or so height on the forged baseplates, but that doesn't affect the fit between hanger and plate. So, experiment away.
[close]

I asked a similar question a few pages back. I got some 139 stage 11 forged hollow baseplates and some stage 11 Rowley hangars with some brand new black bushings in them from a cruiser off eBay. I put them on my normal board and it was the absolute worst situation. The trucks would go in one direction, didn't matter how loose I kept them. I boiled the bushings also. The hanger was wiggling in the pivot cup, nothing felt stable and that god damn mind of it's own turn..argh. Not sure if it was my OCD but I felt like those things did not fit right whatsoever and would never break in...I've had new trucks and this shit was way more wacky with the mind of it's own situation. I bought new trucks.

Truly bizarre. I've done the exact same swap - used forged plates from a set of 139's and used standard cast 149 hangers - and had no problems whatsoever. You also see shops selling just replacement cast Indy baseplates as they're all supposed to be interchangeable. Bummer it didn't work out for you. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4927 on: March 28, 2019, 01:30:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Would be nice to have a low option 8.25+ besides mini-logo (unless I'm missing something).
[close]

Why make an 8.25 low truck? I mean everybody else makes hi trucks. That must mean that there simply is no market for an low one. Right?

If there were no market for low trucks then no one would buy Ventures and Thunders period.  Boards have bumped to 8.25 so now trucks have to....it makes sense to stick to their regular geometry like Thunder has.....

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4928 on: March 28, 2019, 02:03:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Truly bizarre. I've done the exact same swap - used forged plates from a set of 139's and used standard cast 149 hangers - and had no problems whatsoever. You also see shops selling just replacement cast Indy baseplates as they're all supposed to be interchangeable. Bummer it didn't work out for you.

Yep. Maybe if I skated more often and wasn't so particular about how it should feel, I could have overcame it but the fact that it just didn't sit right in the pivot cup along with the unwanted turn, I was like screw it. It was a steel grey hanger with a silver baseplate anyhow, that alone was enough to mess me up..lol.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 07:10:40 PM by verylowimpact »

StroudMears

• Rep: -23
« Reply #4929 on: March 28, 2019, 02:50:41 PM »
Received the new geometry tensors with an 8 inch axle. Very light and looks well made. Compared to my old Venture 5.0 highs you can see they are a lot taller. Very curious how these feel skating, I pretty much rode ventures exclusively for 15 years.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4930 on: March 29, 2019, 03:39:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

If there were no market for low trucks then no one would buy Ventures and Thunders period.  Boards have bumped to 8.25 so now trucks have to....it makes sense to stick to their regular geometry like Thunder has.....

An 8.25 lo venture would be such a boss truck

I feel like it would fill that void for those who want a nice low and wide setup, like anyone remembered the old thunder 149er?

Those were such great trucks, they were legit 50mm tall or 49mm tall and around 8.25 or 8.38 wide,

These old ones

New ones/current version

Here’s a review comparison, notice how the new 149 are taller and smoother and contoured

The top one is the old 149er which I had and man they were nice and wide and low and felt great

Kinda heavy but I feel that’s the way venture should go if they do a 8.25 lo, basically a old thunder 149er

The low and wide helped get those fast backside 360 cause it would just pop and scoop up so fast but were so low and stable it stayed on your feet
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:45:50 AM by rob »
yes

ultrabra

« Reply #4931 on: March 29, 2019, 08:40:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I tried to be sarcastic. ;D
Only low over 8" truck i know is ML.
Thunder 148 is a mid truck. On the low side. I have just been skatin them(hollow lights). They are good. But ML and venture low feel better for me.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4932 on: March 29, 2019, 10:11:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I tried to be sarcastic. ;D
Only low over 8" truck i know is ML.
Thunder 148 is a mid truck. On the low side. I have just been skatin them(hollow lights). They are good. But ML and venture low feel better for me.

ML are what 49mm? That's crazy at 8.38+ like the old school Thunder 149s.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 01:46:17 PM by Xen »

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4933 on: March 29, 2019, 01:19:18 PM »
Tensor make an 8.25 low in aluminum and magnesium.  The mag lows are 265g which is insane.

I know Tensors aren't everyone's cup of tea but I'd happily take them over Mini logo

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #4934 on: March 29, 2019, 02:15:20 PM »
Tensor make an 8.25 low in aluminum and magnesium.  The mag lows are 265g which is insane.

I know Tensors aren't everyone's cup of tea but I'd happily take them over Mini logo

That's the old geometry on the lows?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4935 on: March 29, 2019, 02:34:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's the old geometry on the lows?

Well it's the "low" geometry which I don't think they plan on changing.  Their lows have always worked well.  it's just the highs that needed a change

I had some 8.25 lows last year on a setup.  surprisingly they actually turned decently

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4936 on: March 29, 2019, 03:03:38 PM »
Wonder if they would do a new lo with revised geo, if that's even possible? I never rode the lows but I can't imagine they did anything but move in a straight line unless you rode them like Song.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4937 on: March 29, 2019, 05:07:57 PM »
Wonder if they would do a new lo with revised geo, if that's even possible? I never rode the lows but I can't imagine they did anything but move in a straight line unless you rode them like Song.

I can tell you all this, sorry Steve but tensor lows had to be some of the worse turning and anything low trucks I’ve skated, not as bad as silver and the cheap Chinese aluminum they use felt off, sorta like ace but ace are better obviously

They definitely need to revise that tensor lo

Mini logo I’d say are significantly better than tensor lo

I wanted to like them cause Daewon and Rodney rock them hard but I can legit see they’re probably the only ones riding them besides free styler, kids and those old school street guys who praise the low small old days

Maybe the magnesisums are more decent cause it’s magnesium rather than cheap aluminum but if you thought venture lows don’t turn, try tensor lo and you’ll never turn unless you daewon it and take a bushing out

Also last thing, they do that krux thing where they lean more than turn

In my opinion for any simple ole non kook skater, if you just want the best trucks

Thunder
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 05:09:39 PM by rob »
yes

ultrabra

« Reply #4938 on: March 30, 2019, 03:48:56 AM »
Kind of funny that i forgot about Tensors when i earlier commented that only ML makes an low plus 8" truck. Especially since they are on my main setup ::)
But yeah, these don´t turn so much. I put the Tensors instead of my Tunders because the deck has an really long wheelbase.

SteveStuart

• Rep: 3
« Reply #4939 on: March 30, 2019, 08:26:29 AM »

I know I read on the forum here about not using risers with thunders but it looks like Ishod been rocking risers, must work for him...

Thoughts?

Larry Dallas

« Reply #4940 on: March 30, 2019, 08:28:37 AM »
Why are people worrying about the turn on lows? Thats not what they’re made for.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4941 on: March 30, 2019, 08:29:18 AM »
I've done 1/8 inch risers with forged thunders plenty of times. It's a little tall with cast plates though. Interesting that he's using risers now though, on 9Club he said "he never was a riser guy"

SteveStuart

« Reply #4942 on: March 30, 2019, 08:31:29 AM »
I've done 1/8 inch risers with forged thunders plenty of times. It's a little tall with cast plates though. Interesting that he's using risers now though, on 9Club he said "he never was a riser guy"

Ya! also this is the second setup that he's posted where I noticed the risers...

SteveStuart

« Reply #4943 on: March 30, 2019, 08:33:46 AM »

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #4944 on: March 30, 2019, 08:35:54 AM »
Kind of funny that i forgot about Tensors when i earlier commented that only ML makes an low plus 8" truck. Especially since they are on my main setup ::)
But yeah, these don´t turn so much. I put the Tensors instead of my Tunders because the deck has an really long wheelbase.

I thought the Tensor 5.5 was 8.125 (which it's listed as in various places), but I see now that's incorrect.

By the way, for anyone who's interested. The new Tensor ATG mag lights have the exact same wheelbase as my Thunder, it's just the baseplate that's about 3/8" longer.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4945 on: March 30, 2019, 09:25:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought the Tensor 5.5 was 8.125 (which it's listed as in various places), but I see now that's incorrect.

By the way, for anyone who's interested. The new Tensor ATG mag lights have the exact same wheelbase as my Thunder, it's just the baseplate that's about 3/8" longer.
The tens was like this, 8.18 i think, they changed to 8.25 for the new atv, so to low 5.5 are probably still 8.125/8.18

ultrabra

« Reply #4946 on: March 30, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
The tens was like this, 8.18 i think, they changed to 8.25 for the new atv, so to low 5.5 are probably still 8.125/8.18

Yea, my 5,5 tensors are 8,125 wide.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #4947 on: March 30, 2019, 03:11:53 PM »

I know I read on the forum here about not using risers with thunders but it looks like Ishod been rocking risers, must work for him...

Thoughts?

If you check out Spitfire's main page at the moment they have a collage of Bobby De Keyzer photos, he's running some fairly hefty looking (1/4" or more) wooden risers under his cast Thunders. Looks like they're made from an old deck. Mind you his trucks are crazy loose.

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #4948 on: March 30, 2019, 03:12:13 PM »
I just simply cannot understand how people nose/tailslide on thunders. I get nothing but wheel no matter what. Am I insane or does anyone else feel like this??

SteveStuart

« Reply #4949 on: March 30, 2019, 03:35:05 PM »
If you're new to thunders then it might take some getting used to but no problems

As long as you wax the vertical part of ledge/ curb or whatever where your wheels slide