Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232866 times)

SteveStuart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4950 on: March 30, 2019, 03:38:41 PM »
If you check out Spitfire's main page at the moment they have a collage of Bobby De Keyzer photos, he's running some fairly hefty looking (1/4" or more) wooden risers under his cast Thunders. Looks like they're made from an old deck. Mind you his trucks are crazy loose.

True! interesting!

Although it looks more like 1/8 or in bw 1/8 and 1/4?.....2 or 3 plys from a deck is what I see

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4951 on: March 30, 2019, 04:04:33 PM »
I just simply cannot understand how people nose/tailslide on thunders. I get nothing but wheel no matter what. Am I insane or does anyone else feel like this??

Just wax the side of the ledge and you’ll be good. Used to go crazy over the same thing myself but really all you need is some extra wax and you’re good
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 04:40:58 PM by DaSk8D00D »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #4952 on: March 30, 2019, 04:13:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Kind of funny that i forgot about Tensors when i earlier commented that only ML makes an low plus 8" truck. Especially since they are on my main setup ::)
But yeah, these don´t turn so much. I put the Tensors instead of my Tunders because the deck has an really long wheelbase.
[close]

I thought the Tensor 5.5 was 8.125 (which it's listed as in various places), but I see now that's incorrect.

By the way, for anyone who's interested. The new Tensor ATG mag lights have the exact same wheelbase as my Thunder, it's just the baseplate that's about 3/8" longer.
[close]
The tens was like this, 8.18 i think, they changed to 8.25 for the new atv, so to low 5.5 are probably still 8.125/8.18
[close]

Yea, my 5,5 tensors are 8,125 wide.

I have the new geometry 5.5 and can confirm those at 8.25 on the dot

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #4953 on: March 30, 2019, 04:18:50 PM »
Expand Quote
I just simply cannot understand how people nose/tailslide on thunders. I get nothing but wheel no matter what. Am I insane or does anyone else feel like this??
[close]

Just wax the side of the ledge and you’ll be good. Used to go crazy over the same thing myself but really all you need is some extra wax and you’re good

Just put a little

Makes sense, but I just hate the fact I have to wax everything I skate. When the baseplate is actually making contact like on my ventures it just feels so good. If thunders had this same feeling my truck crisis would be solved.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #4954 on: March 30, 2019, 05:05:01 PM »
Expand Quote
If you check out Spitfire's main page at the moment they have a collage of Bobby De Keyzer photos, he's running some fairly hefty looking (1/4" or more) wooden risers under his cast Thunders. Looks like they're made from an old deck. Mind you his trucks are crazy loose.
[close]

True! interesting!

Although it looks more like 1/8 or in bw 1/8 and 1/4?.....2 or 3 plys from a deck is what I see

Could be. They look almost as thick as the baseplates in this pic.
http://spitfirewheels.com/bobby-dekeyzer-two-stroke/img/bobby-dekeyzer-005.jpg

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1188
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4955 on: March 30, 2019, 05:17:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just put a little
[close]

Makes sense, but I just hate the fact I have to wax everything I skate. When the baseplate is actually making contact like on my ventures it just feels so good. If thunders had this same feeling my truck crisis would be solved.

Yep, join the club.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #4956 on: March 30, 2019, 06:00:28 PM »

If you sit on your slides so that your board is angled upwards then your wheels won't rub. That's why I think a lot of people with proper ass noseslides don't have that problem with Thunder.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #4957 on: March 30, 2019, 06:21:39 PM »
Pig makes slotted 1/4" risers if you want to go that high without doubling up.  Also, if you slide them out towards the nose/tail you might even have a more slippery setup then Indy metal baseplate vs. ledge.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4958 on: March 30, 2019, 06:46:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just put a little
[close]

[close]

Yep, join the club.

The portion of the baseplate closer to the axle does get scraped doing slides. But if both wheels touch when you place your nose/tail against the ledge, your wheels might be too big.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4959 on: March 30, 2019, 08:12:00 PM »
Why are people worrying about the turn on lows? Thats not what they’re made for.

Trucks are supposed to turn no matter low or hi, the point of low trucks was a better center of gravity feel and quicker response

Thunder 147 hi are like 50mm cast and 49mm tall forged, they can still turn very decently

Even Indy 139 low turn very good

You can’t serisouly think low trucks are made to go in a straight line only and that’s what low trucks are for, cause any truck can go in a straight line

Just buy bones hards or those hard black Indy cylinder bushings and crank it a thread or few past flush on some Indy standards you won’t be able to turn
yes

Larry Dallas

« Reply #4960 on: March 30, 2019, 10:27:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Why are people worrying about the turn on lows? Thats not what they’re made for.
[close]

Trucks are supposed to turn no matter low or hi, the point of low trucks was a better center of gravity feel and quicker response

Thunder 147 hi are like 50mm cast and 49mm tall forged, they can still turn very decently

You can’t serisouly think low trucks are made to go in a straight line only and that’s what low trucks are for, cause any truck can go in a straight line

Just buy bones hards or those hard black Indy cylinder bushings and crank it a thread or few past flush on some Indy standards you won’t be able to turn
Shut the fuck up Rob.

Compl(i)ements

« Reply #4961 on: March 30, 2019, 10:57:01 PM »
Anger is one outcome of being put in your place by the vast amount of knowledge unleashed on you about trucks from rob.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4962 on: March 31, 2019, 12:29:55 AM »

I learned noseslide on Thunders. Sure that it forces you to get the proper technique because there is less room for errors.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4963 on: March 31, 2019, 07:09:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Shut the fuck up Rob.

NO. Your gay!
yes

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4964 on: March 31, 2019, 07:26:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Shut the fuck up Rob.

All i know is that I had Tensor 5.5 lo's and was able to carve up a flow bowl with no problem and then I watched a friend do two 15ft long slappies on a curb with them first try.  maybe you had your's cranked down.  you seem to ride tight trucks but I just left them stock and they turned just fine (for a low truck)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 07:27:42 AM by BMCsteve »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4965 on: March 31, 2019, 07:54:50 AM »
Some trucks turn better than others, and it's to some degree subjective....

PS....we're all gay.....for trucks.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1188
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4966 on: March 31, 2019, 08:12:00 AM »

Now that would make a good t-shirt.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Larry Dallas

« Reply #4967 on: March 31, 2019, 08:59:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Shut the fuck up Rob.
[close]

NO. Your gay!
That’s not ok Rob.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #4968 on: March 31, 2019, 11:42:10 AM »
Some trucks turn better than others, and it's to some degree subjective....

some trucks ollie better than others.  and by some trucks I mean Thunders.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4969 on: April 01, 2019, 01:28:54 AM »
I’m the gayest for trucks! I’ve always been gay for trucks

That does need to be a slap exclusive shirt

We need to send Ben some tensor lows so he can give us the final verdict one of these Saturday’s

I’ll send him my tensors if he wants, I don’t want them anymore and he can tell us how he feels about them
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #4970 on: April 01, 2019, 07:38:55 AM »
I like bens truck reviews.

Truck Madness has not hit me for some months now. I feel like saying it out loud is just me accepting that it will be here soon.

(In saying this, in the last week, "out of curiosity ", I looked at venture, thunder, and even tensor websites)

Diocletian

« Reply #4971 on: April 02, 2019, 06:50:03 PM »
I put some Indy Stage 11 149 hangers on my Ace hi classics baseplates today for the first time. Used the black cylinder Indy bushings on ‘em. They turn so snappy and deep compared to the Indy plates. So for those that are OCD about Ace’s lack of 149 size, just throw some Indy hangers on the baseplates and you will have a truck that turns like a dream. A little bit more reassurance of stronger axles too, since Ace still hasn’t gotten their bending under control.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #4972 on: April 02, 2019, 07:37:31 PM »
I like bens truck reviews.

Truck Madness has not hit me for some months now. I feel like saying it out loud is just me accepting that it will be here soon.

(In saying this, in the last week, "out of curiosity ", I looked at venture, thunder, and even tensor websites)

I have literally never had truck madness until deciding to size down, I thought about the major three and somehow ended up on tensors. I don’t know who I am anymore but my board is nice and light

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #4973 on: April 03, 2019, 04:36:06 AM »
Every time I've skated Venture's I've had nothing but bad experiences/a shitty time yet something still makes me want to pick up an 8" deck, some Venture low's and a set of 50mm wheels.

Torre

• Rep: -30
« Reply #4974 on: April 03, 2019, 09:03:53 AM »
Hey what ever happened to Theeve trucks? I still see them for sale in some online stores but it seems like people used to love them and now no one talks about them anymore

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #4975 on: April 03, 2019, 02:55:28 PM »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4976 on: April 03, 2019, 11:22:23 PM »
Every time I've skated Venture's I've had nothing but bad experiences/a shitty time yet something still makes me want to pick up an 8" deck, some Venture low's and a set of 50mm wheels.

I have it too...thank god they appear to be hi's.....

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #4977 on: April 03, 2019, 11:36:49 PM »

I have been wanting to get some 8.5" Ventures but, I really want to cash out and get a 7.75 or 8 christmas complete
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4978 on: April 04, 2019, 01:47:33 AM »
Trust me guys, going back to an 8” esque size with a moderate cupsole

Oh the days of flip tricks are back

And it’s easier to Ollie up, over and across things

Very fun

Currently with my 7.9 aws and dunk lows
yes

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #4979 on: April 04, 2019, 06:41:00 AM »
Switching from Indy to Thunder I can definitely feel some difference between how they slide. The thing is I can do fs tails a lot more consistently now and they slide for the most part while bs tails and bs nose slides feel harder to slide as long as before. It's definitely more of a mental thing as I have it in my head that the wheels will touch. Tyler Bledsoe made the switch and I don't see him having an issue.