Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232020 times)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1175
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4980 on: April 04, 2019, 07:16:26 AM »
2:14 for those still concerned about Thunders sliding

hardly art, hardly starving

ballintoohard

« Reply #4981 on: April 04, 2019, 03:11:12 PM »
For people who went from Indy to Thunder or Venture- did you like the switch and which one did you chose?

sneakpeakmeek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #4982 on: April 04, 2019, 03:40:34 PM »
For people who went from Indy to Thunder or Venture- did you like the switch and which one did you chose?

i've skated ace 03's, venture 5.2 lows, and thunder 147 highs.

Thunder 147 highs are kind of a low truck despite the label. They turn pretty sharply, yet feel pretty damn stable. They slide pretty well, i didn't have any trouble locking into slides. Urethane AND BASEPLATE will make contact with ledges when doing slides, therefore slowing down your slide a bit.  I don't experience that much wheel bite with thunders compared to venture.

I started off skating ventures and have been skating them for a while now.Venture los are more prone to wheel bite, at least in my experience with 50mm wheels, compared to thunders. They're stable and snappy but don't turn as deep as thunders. They can turn as the stock bushings are soft, but the arc of the turn isn't very deep. I like how the baseplate makes contact with ledges when sliding with these trucks, and it's ultimately the reason why I prefer ventures over thunder.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 03:42:27 PM by sneakpeakmeek »

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #4983 on: April 04, 2019, 04:54:57 PM »
Idk, as much as I want to like Thunders the lack of baseplate contact just does it for me. I don't want to wax everything I want to nose/tailslide. Besides, my Ventures are pretty much perfect for me once I throw on some indy super soft white bushings (and add an extra washer on the inside for a little more truck).

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4984 on: April 04, 2019, 05:14:09 PM »

Thunders cause they’re just so responsive and versatile, the way they are stable but quick makes them sooo good

Did you guys know hard luck makes bushings now?

I was looking for some hard Indy bushings and stumbled upon them
yes

aaronagis

• Rep: -3
« Reply #4985 on: April 05, 2019, 01:06:07 AM »
I've never felt the need to put as much thought into my trucks as some of you guys do. I keep it simple, Indy 149s with bones bushings, and try and skate the same set as long as possible. Hasn't done me wrtog yet.

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4986 on: April 05, 2019, 03:51:30 AM »
Idk, as much as I want to like Thunders the lack of baseplate contact just does it for me. I don't want to wax everything I want to nose/tailslide. Besides, my Ventures are pretty much perfect for me once I throw on some indy super soft white bushings (and add an extra washer on the inside for a little more truck).

The other big issue is how much they extend the wb, pretty much anything above is 14.25 is too damn long. Dunno about venture tho.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4987 on: April 05, 2019, 06:09:57 AM »

Personally it's more complex. For my 8.25 "tech" setup I definitely prefer the responsiveness and  "pinch" feeling of Thunders, but for my 8.75 bowl/cruise setup, I prefer Indy's for the confortable and deep turn they provide.

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #4988 on: April 05, 2019, 08:23:45 AM »
After skating all 3 multiple times, I've stuck with thunders.  I put a 1/8th inch riser on them for height preference but even without the riser I prefer them.  Here's my personal rank/review, keep in mind I skate ledges, mannys, and bowls occasionally.
and since we are insane here on slap and Im influenced by others, I'll put some people after whos skating persuaded me to try each truck in the first place.

1.) Thunders - Their stupid tagline "know control" does ring true, I've stuck with thunders because they feel the most solid all around.  I feel like I can always direct my board where I want it to go and it is very predictable, where-as with other trucks I feel phantom movements or it doesnt maneuver as quickly as preferred.  The baseplate not hitting on tailslides/noseslides got in my head for awhile, but some of the best tech skaters in the world skate thunders so I dont think it is actually an issue just a mental thing.  Ishod, BDK, Dylan, The past 3 SOTYS.

2.) Ventures - My second choice, ventures have a much slower turn, but feel incredible stable when skating ledges or doing manuals.  I notice the turn isnt as deep as some other trucks (when rounding a corner I might have to life my truck to turn comfortably) but with bones bushings or a conical bushing on the bottom it turns a lot better.  I initially skated some ventures after watching a bunch of old LOVE footage and flipping through old mags seeing AVE and Oyola skating them, but eventually the slow turn, and where the trucks sit over the baseplate made me try something else.  Stevie williams, Bobby worrest, Prod, westgate.

3.)Independent - Right off the bat I'll admit I like them equally the same as ventures, but because of the socal jock marketing behind indy Im gonna rank them below.  Everyone's go to truck, but I personally have never loved them. The first two weeks (in which everyone usually hates them) felt the best for me because they felt responsive and fine tuned, but as soon as they broke in they were too unpredictable to me.  I would be rolling up to a ledge and bend down and not feel stable on my board, sometimes having it swerve or turn.  They are a decent truck of course but I just couldnt feel comfortable trying tech stuff, which is what I like to do.  Tiago, hjalte, Ave, Louie Lopez.

This review probably does nothing for anyone but since we are already 168 pages deep and people are still talking about baseplates on ledges, I figured I would chime in with my two cents.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 08:29:38 AM by Chanel West Coast »

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #4989 on: April 05, 2019, 08:27:43 AM »
Also, just to reiterate how mental all this bullshit is, I like a tall truck and a 54 because I feel like it helps you get the most pop while still being able to skate fast.  But on Westgates 9 club he says he skates venture lows and 51 rictas  :o how the fuck

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #4990 on: April 05, 2019, 08:53:18 AM »
After skating all 3 multiple times, I've stuck with thunders.  I put a 1/8th inch riser on them for height preference but even without the riser I prefer them.  Here's my personal rank/review, keep in mind I skate ledges, mannys, and bowls occasionally.
and since we are insane here on slap and Im influenced by others, I'll put some people after whos skating persuaded me to try each truck in the first place.

1.) Thunders - Their stupid tagline "know control" does ring true, I've stuck with thunders because they feel the most solid all around.  I feel like I can always direct my board where I want it to go and it is very predictable, where-as with other trucks I feel phantom movements or it doesnt maneuver as quickly as preferred.  The baseplate not hitting on tailslides/noseslides got in my head for awhile, but some of the best tech skaters in the world skate thunders so I dont think it is actually an issue just a mental thing.  Ishod, BDK, Dylan, The past 3 SOTYS.

2.) Ventures - My second choice, ventures have a much slower turn, but feel incredible stable when skating ledges or doing manuals.  I notice the turn isnt as deep as some other trucks (when rounding a corner I might have to life my truck to turn comfortably) but with bones bushings or a conical bushing on the bottom it turns a lot better.  I initially skated some ventures after watching a bunch of old LOVE footage and flipping through old mags seeing AVE and Oyola skating them, but eventually the slow turn, and where the trucks sit over the baseplate made me try something else.  Stevie williams, Bobby worrest, Prod, westgate.

3.)Independent - Right off the bat I'll admit I like them equally the same as ventures, but because of the socal jock marketing behind indy Im gonna rank them below.  Everyone's go to truck, but I personally have never loved them. The first two weeks (in which everyone usually hates them) felt the best for me because they felt responsive and fine tuned, but as soon as they broke in they were too unpredictable to me.  I would be rolling up to a ledge and bend down and not feel stable on my board, sometimes having it swerve or turn.  They are a decent truck of course but I just couldnt feel comfortable trying tech stuff, which is what I like to do.  Tiago, hjalte, Ave, Louie Lopez.

This review probably does nothing for anyone but since we are already 168 pages deep and people are still talking about baseplates on ledges, I figured I would chime in with my two cents.
I love this

Arto Saari

• Rep: 33
  • hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #4991 on: April 05, 2019, 09:00:13 AM »
Whats the deal with after market pivot cups? Im tempted to buy some just based on the fact that I like the idea of tuned trucks and I have always skated my trucks stock. In all honesty though, Doesn't everything just feel the same eventually? Once I get used to something, I skate exactly how I always have. I had a set of Ace's before the ventures hi's Im riding now and as much as I loved them, I like the ventures just as much. Ill probably be bouncing between venture and Ace (after they fix their QC) based solely on the fact that I like the hanger design of those two brands from an aesthetic standpoint. No matter how good people say thunders are, I wont buy them because I don't like how they look. All the other big brands have some sort of contour on the hanger that gives them their signature look, while thunders look like tech deck trucks to me.

Daniel

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4992 on: April 05, 2019, 09:30:13 AM »
Went from Thunder, Indy, Ace, and now venture. I agree, you'll get used to anything and eventually skate however you did with old/new setups. Truck madness is just an illusion.

Compl(i)ements

« Reply #4993 on: April 05, 2019, 10:19:48 AM »
Went from Thunder, Indy, Ace, and now venture. I agree, you'll get used to anything and eventually skate however you did with old/new setups. Truck madness is just an illusion.
Your fucking face is an Illusion Daniel.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4994 on: April 05, 2019, 01:10:37 PM »
Whats the deal with after market pivot cups? Im tempted to buy some just based on the fact that I like the idea of tuned trucks and I have always skated my trucks stock. In all honesty though, Doesn't everything just feel the same eventually? Once I get used to something, I skate exactly how I always have. I had a set of Ace's before the ventures hi's Im riding now and as much as I loved them, I like the ventures just as much. Ill probably be bouncing between venture and Ace (after they fix their QC) based solely on the fact that I like the hanger design of those two brands from an aesthetic standpoint. No matter how good people say thunders are, I wont buy them because I don't like how they look. All the other big brands have some sort of contour on the hanger that gives them their signature look, while thunders look like tech deck trucks to me.

Like aftermarket bushings, some aftermarket pivot cups are made with better materials which can lead to increased longevity and possibly better feel (some don't notice or don't care to notice); longevity would be more important to me (I switched to pricey aftermarket cups when riding aces as I would rip through pivot cups like crazy).

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4995 on: April 05, 2019, 01:33:11 PM »

Good write up. 👍 Just left me thinking, what sizes were you skating? Thunder 147s vs. 148s, 149s & 151s are very different. And in general too, wider trucks perform differently to narrower ones.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #4996 on: April 05, 2019, 07:13:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good write up. 👍 Just left me thinking, what sizes were you skating? Thunder 147s vs. 148s, 149s & 151s are very different. And in general too, wider trucks perform differently to narrower ones.

I may call some of those love park names into question though. I remember seeing Indy’s at love under those skaters. I believe there’s film of that. Leaving love later got footage on ventures.   

Josh Kalis was Awake since day one...

sneakpeakmeek

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4997 on: April 05, 2019, 08:20:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I may call some of those love park names into question though. I remember seeing Indy’s at love under those skaters. I believe there’s film of that. Leaving love later got footage on ventures.   

Josh Kalis was Awake since day one...

I think kalis skates thunders now

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #4998 on: April 05, 2019, 11:06:20 PM »
I was skating stock 149s in thunder and indys, and 5.8 in ventures.

Maybe ricky was skating indys, but pretty sure most of those dudes were on ventures.  Regaurdless, I was moreso inspired by when you look at an old mag or video and see dudes skating ventures with like 56’s, its such a distinct look and it got me juiced enough to go get some, in the same way that bobby part did last week.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4999 on: April 06, 2019, 12:16:10 AM »
Pretty sure Ricky is best known for riding z-rollers....
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 07:39:44 AM by j....soy..... »

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5000 on: April 06, 2019, 07:46:43 PM »
I've been trying out those new Tensor mag lights for a few weeks. Today in an effort to get a better turn and feel I tried replacing the bushings with my beloved ace bushings. Only the bottom bushing fit, (the top tensor bushing is the only one that 'interlocks' anyways) but it was a massive success. Much improved turn and feel. Now it feels just like a high, super light Thunder, with 3/8" more baseplate clearance. The funny part is that the two Tensor bottom bushings are about 2mm height difference... so dumb.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #5001 on: April 06, 2019, 09:36:27 PM »
Radrat inspired the GK comeback, and now it's time for a closer look...

StroudMears

• Rep: -23
« Reply #5002 on: April 07, 2019, 04:04:02 AM »
I've been trying out those new Tensor mag lights for a few weeks. Today in an effort to get a better turn and feel I tried replacing the bushings with my beloved ace bushings. Only the bottom bushing fit, (the top tensor bushing is the only one that 'interlocks' anyways) but it was a massive success. Much improved turn and feel. Now it feels just like a high, super light Thunder, with 3/8" more baseplate clearance. The funny part is that the two Tensor bottom bushings are about 2mm height difference... so dumb.
I have now been skating these for about a week daily. So I got some time to get used to them and soften up the bushings a bit. I think they are fantastic. Easily the best truck I've ever skated. Most noticeable difference for me is the way they grind. I skated a couple crumbled stone benches and it's very smooth. I do think they will wear down faster, and I am not convinced they will not break at some point. If they don't it's pretty much a perfect truck for me. I ride my trucks not too loose, not too tight, and the nut is flush with the kingpin. So out of the box maybe not for people who ride their trucks very loose.

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #5003 on: April 07, 2019, 08:42:02 AM »
Radrat inspired the GK comeback, and now it's time for a closer look...

Just ripping off sternum trucks' jokes and beating them into the ground.

Diocletian

« Reply #5004 on: April 07, 2019, 12:06:02 PM »
There’s been a lot of positive feedback about those new magnesium Tensors. I just saw a YouTube video of a guy praising them as well. No matter what color, even the “raw”...they look so ugly. But the lightest truck on the market (maybe besides the TiH) along with a smoother grind and possibly? just as good of a turn as Indy/Ace from what I’m reading? Makes my truck madness come back and want to try something new. What do you guys think? I’m 210lbs, beat my trucks up and do lots of slappies. Think they’ll hold up?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #5005 on: April 07, 2019, 06:51:41 PM »
There’s been a lot of positive feedback about those new magnesium Tensors. I just saw a YouTube video of a guy praising them as well. No matter what color, even the “raw”...they look so ugly. But the lightest truck on the market (maybe besides the TiH) along with a smoother grind and possibly? just as good of a turn as Indy/Ace from what I’m reading? Makes my truck madness come back and want to try something new. What do you guys think? I’m 210lbs, beat my trucks up and do lots of slappies. Think they’ll hold up?

If you saw the video with the guy with the southern accent I did too and that basically sold me. About 200 pounds here so I’ll see how they hold up for me, only had three sessions and haven’t skated any curbs. Grinds feel smoother but I agree with you that even the silver is pretty ugly. They turn just fine, I put riptide pivot cups in and have some bones mediums on deck just Incase but haven’t had an issue with turns

Diocletian

« Reply #5006 on: April 08, 2019, 07:00:46 AM »
Haha yeah that’s the video. He claims they turn better than all trucks, including Ace, which I doubt. But maybe I’ll give them a shot.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5007 on: April 08, 2019, 09:02:07 AM »
Haha yeah that’s the video. He claims they turn better than all trucks, including Ace, which I doubt. But maybe I’ll give them a shot.

What is better exactly? They don't turn or feel like Ace so it's impossible to say. Once I changed the bottom bushing they feel exactly like Thunders, no better or worse, very sharp and responsive, but stable on center. I thought the stock bushings felt like shit, but I only gave them two weeks.

Also you have to ask yourself... how light is too light? The wind definitely effects things more and while the foot drag is easier, the pop feels different. Having weight on your nose gives you a nice solid weighty pop feel, which lacks with these. I almost just wish they were just slightly lighter than my Thunder hollow lights.

Anyways, besides looking dumb they are good trucks, not the end all be all, just another good option.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #5008 on: April 08, 2019, 11:16:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you saw the video with the guy with the southern accent I did too and that basically sold me. About 200 pounds here so I’ll see how they hold up for me, only had three sessions and haven’t skated any curbs. Grinds feel smoother but I agree with you that even the silver is pretty ugly. They turn just fine, I put riptide pivot cups in and have some bones mediums on deck just Incase but haven’t had an issue with turns

Where is the link to this brand-changing truck video? =D

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #5009 on: April 08, 2019, 12:21:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Where is the link to this brand-changing truck video? =D