Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1230950 times)

TooManyPros

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 59
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5010 on: April 08, 2019, 01:24:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There’s been a lot of positive feedback about those new magnesium Tensors. I just saw a YouTube video of a guy praising them as well. No matter what color, even the “raw”...they look so ugly. But the lightest truck on the market (maybe besides the TiH) along with a smoother grind and possibly? just as good of a turn as Indy/Ace from what I’m reading? Makes my truck madness come back and want to try something new. What do you guys think? I’m 210lbs, beat my trucks up and do lots of slappies. Think they’ll hold up?
[close]

If you saw the video with the guy with the southern accent I did too and that basically sold me. About 200 pounds here so I’ll see how they hold up for me, only had three sessions and haven’t skated any curbs. Grinds feel smoother but I agree with you that even the silver is pretty ugly. They turn just fine, I put riptide pivot cups in and have some bones mediums on deck just Incase but haven’t had an issue with turns
[close]

Where is the link to this brand-changing truck video? =D
[close]

He didn't sell me. He sounded like the culmination of this truck thread regarding, pinch and pop which would normally convince some people but I'm not buying it.

The painted ones (are those the Zered ones?) look way better than the silvers tho.

Indys >

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #5011 on: April 08, 2019, 06:02:13 PM »
yea indys are the best by default…amazing how indys are the absolute standard yet nobody else has made anything better. they're either uglier or weaker or turn worse etc. i'm actually upset about this. i don't want to ride indys. everyone else rides indys. but what other choice do i have?  ace? they break too easily. theeve? too obscure and the stock bushings are too hard and the hanger is too restrictive. venture? thunder? tensor? silver etc? ugly and uninteresting. you might want trucks that are good at one thing, whatever it may be, but if they're not good at anything else, is that really a good truck? do you really want to switch out your trucks everytime you ride something else? do you really want trucks that turn real good but break the second you do slappys? it would be great if ace got their shit together and got rid of the shitty soft aluminums and the constant thickening/uglifying of the hanger and the bigger pivots that supposedly help with damage in that area but actually only make it weaker and harder to find replacement cups, but until then, indys are the best by default, and i have no pride in riding them.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 06:04:49 PM by I AM »

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #5012 on: April 08, 2019, 07:17:51 PM »
You just said you wanted something as good but dismissed the rest as ugly.... I think indys are ugly, I also think thunders are ugly too. Many trucks are good at a bunch of different things it's not 2005 where each truck is cut and dry and indy is miles ahead. Plus the strawman "why would you want trucks good at one thing?" nobody wants that. Everybody is on the hunt for the holy grail truck in this thread.
they're ugly…and uninteresting. meaning the general consensus of what the trucks are good for and how good they are, don't seem as good or desirable as indys. and how they look is a very important thing. i don't want to spend money on something i already know i won't be satisfied with, just by looking at it.
“nobody wants that” obviously. it's a rhetorical question. the point is that indys are good at most things, while most others are only better than indy at one thing. 
“many trucks are good at a bunch of different things” yeah, but their ugly. semi objectively. and they probably don't do most things better than indy. and they're probably harder to get. and they probably don't have enough sizes. if there is, tell me a truck that is better than indy on all fronts.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:20:16 PM by I AM »

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #5013 on: April 08, 2019, 08:06:48 PM »
I usually waffle between Thunder and Venture. Just tried Indys for a few weeks and found them to be fun to ride around on overall but mushy and unresponsive when locking into grinds, especially crooks. I slipped into noseslide constantly on them. They also felt too unstable for me when trying to thread narrow lines in skateparks but maybe I’m just terrible at skating.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #5014 on: April 08, 2019, 08:25:42 PM »
Ace and Thunder are the best at what they are trying to do IMO. Indy are a nice compromise and if there's ever a Stage 12 I'll likely try it but if I want to turn quick and deep in the bowl, nothing beats Ace and if I want a stable yet snappy response on street, Thunders are great.

If Ace ever make a truck between 44s and 55s, that might be the truck I skate to my grave.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #5015 on: April 08, 2019, 09:06:29 PM »
Ace and Thunder are the best at what they are trying to do IMO. Indy are a nice compromise and if there's ever a Stage 12 I'll likely try it but if I want to turn quick and deep in the bowl, nothing beats Ace and if I want a stable yet snappy response on street, Thunders are great.

If Ace ever make a truck between 44s and 55s, that might be the truck I skate to my grave.

Try the Ace baseplate with an Indy hanger.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5016 on: April 08, 2019, 09:25:46 PM »

My madness is really this. ACE on one end and Thunder on the other and I agree, Indy (and subsequently, Theeve) are right there in the middle if you want something that does it all 'good enough' without going crazy on pinch/pop/baseplate slide/grindage. It comes down to feel too and not just turning.

I've been riding forged hollow 144s for the past three weeks (new Ace regs bottoms/Ace low tops bushings /riptides) and have somehow not thought about swapping them out after I switched over from theeve (just couldn't get theeves loose enough without using bones softs and entering wheelbite hell).

If indy ever drops that low we've been hearing about (and if it's snappier), or thunder releases that extended baseplate things will get heated again!

For now I'm in the indy/bones ezstreets combo.

But seriously, the ACE bushings really do get indys singing (due to the break in, I am sure you could get the same feeling out of indy aftermarkets if you followed through the break in).

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5017 on: April 09, 2019, 12:27:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My madness is really this. ACE on one end and Thunder on the other and I agree, Indy (and subsequently, Theeve) are right there in the middle if you want something that does it all 'good enough' without going crazy on pinch/pop/baseplate slide/grindage. It comes down to feel too and not just turning.

I've been riding forged hollow 144s for the past three weeks (new Ace regs bottoms/Ace low tops bushings /riptides) and have somehow not thought about swapping them out after I switched over from theeve (just couldn't get theeves loose enough without using bones softs and entering wheelbite hell).

If indy ever drops that low we've been hearing about (and if it's snappier), or thunder releases that extended baseplate things will get heated again!

For now I'm in the indy/bones ezstreets combo.

But seriously, the ACE bushings really do get indys singing (due to the break in, I am sure you could get the same feeling out of indy aftermarkets if you followed through the break in).

Right I’m waiting on those new lows, I’m sure Leo is too

He’s the only guy on the team that rode lows

yes

Diocletian

« Reply #5018 on: April 09, 2019, 09:02:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yep. And you have lighter options with an Indy hanger vs Ace which is heavy.

full of jerks

« Reply #5019 on: April 09, 2019, 01:36:58 PM »
You could probably cut a rail short so it only has two holes and screw that on behind thunders.  Might work.

baustin

« Reply #5020 on: April 09, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »
You could probably cut a rail short so it only has two holes and screw that on behind thunders.  Might work.

This is the innovative I come to this thread for.

full of jerks

« Reply #5021 on: April 09, 2019, 04:22:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My madness is really this. ACE on one end and Thunder on the other .......

Has anybody tried mismatched trucks yet?  Like Thunder in the back to ollie off of and Ace or Indy up front to handle bowls better.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #5022 on: April 09, 2019, 07:34:51 PM »

I would consider this but its really bad ju ju to mess with trucks once you break them in. I can't even bring myself to tighten or loosen them at this point. The Kingpin nut is blending nicely into the tip of the kingpin- I'm not sure what evil forces would be unleashed on the world if I interrupted the 'blending' process.

full of jerks

« Reply #5023 on: April 09, 2019, 11:17:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

meh.  I'm over it already.

I think Ace is just a bad compromise.  For bowls I'd rather have the tighter turning ability of Indys.  If I want controllable trucks I'd rather have Thunders.  Best part of Ace is how light they make the tail feel.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #5024 on: April 10, 2019, 12:09:19 PM »

I feel the same. I love my Ace trucks. Just wish the 44 was a wee bit wider

sneakpeakmeek

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5025 on: April 10, 2019, 07:00:48 PM »
just watched some ben degros videos and decided to buy some venture hi 5.2s. How do they compare with 147 his, venture los, and ace lows?

Daniel

• Rep: 8
« Reply #5026 on: April 10, 2019, 08:15:03 PM »
just watched some ben degros videos and decided to buy some venture hi 5.2s. How do they compare with 147 his, venture los, and ace lows?

All very different trucks. Venture is more stable than Indy, grind like Indy, sit far back with wheelbase like thunder and are nowhere close to Aces at all.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #5027 on: April 11, 2019, 12:01:47 AM »

Ben laid it down. They are tall like ace highs and sit on a block like ace highs / Indy 11.

The main difference is king pin placement. It will not turn like any of the trucks you mentioned. Krux royal and tensor turn more like a venture.

If you like to tre flip and want to go in a straight line then they’re your best option in my opinion. If you’re riding smaller wheels like 52 down I would just go with a venture low

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #5028 on: April 11, 2019, 06:07:15 AM »
Madness strike me down ... pondering getting a 7.5 and using Venture lo 5.0s. Been riding 8.0 and Indy 139s. Miss skinny boards and as said above kickflips and landing straight

Diocletian

« Reply #5029 on: April 11, 2019, 08:59:16 AM »
What do you guys think would be stronger, a hollow chromoly axle or a titanium alloy one?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5030 on: April 11, 2019, 09:28:08 AM »
What do you guys think would be stronger, a hollow chromoly axle or a titanium alloy one?

Technically steel will be stronger but you're not going to bend either of them

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #5031 on: April 11, 2019, 09:59:45 AM »
Madness strike me down ... pondering getting a 7.5 and using Venture lo 5.0s. Been riding 8.0 and Indy 139s. Miss skinny boards and as said above kickflips and landing straight

Been skating an 8.25 with 5.2 lows (hollow) and 51mm. Even if you don't want to size down boards, the 5.2 lows and small wheels really capture that classic feeling just as well.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5032 on: April 11, 2019, 10:54:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Been skating an 8.25 with 5.2 lows (hollow) and 51mm. Even if you don't want to size down boards, the 5.2 lows and small wheels really capture that classic feeling just as well.

I've slowly been going narrower, lower and smaller it feels great; going to get those pressure flips back for old times sake :P

Diocletian

« Reply #5033 on: April 11, 2019, 11:41:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interesting, so you’re saying you think both are stronger than a solid chromoly axle? From my research, a titanium alloy is technically weaker of the same diameter as a chromoly one. But, I’ve never heard of anyone bending one. I dig that hollow trucks are only $10 more than the standards so I was considering them. $30 more for titanium’s...is it really worth it in terms of strength/lightness?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5034 on: April 11, 2019, 11:52:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Interesting, so you’re saying you think both are stronger than a solid chromoly axle? From my research, a titanium alloy is technically weaker of the same diameter as a chromoly one. But, I’ve never heard of anyone bending one. I dig that hollow trucks are only $10 more than the standards so I was considering them. $30 more for titanium’s...is it really worth it in terms of strength/lightness?

Given the diameter of the axles and how the trucks are used/designed the chances of bending either are slim (unless you're ACE)... I mean, how often do you see/hear about people bending axles of any truck anymore? Indys, theeve, thunders or otherwise? Pretty rare.

When it comes to Indys, you can tell the difference holding them/your board. Does that weight difference have an impact on skating? That's up to the rider. With Thunders, man the TI are sooo fucking light, hollows too. I've been riding thunder team hollows since they launched and haven't had the desire to bump up to TI, it's not worth it to me as we're talking 1-3oz difference here and I'm a weight whore. With Indy, it's gotta be TI unless I'm riding bowls.

Keep in mind most Pros are sent a ton of product and from what I have seen usually ride the base level/standards when it comes to trucks (go watch an NHS product pillage, standards for days filling up those carts). Of course a few might get to choose and or get their models sent to them on rotation. Lighter TI trucks are marketing tools.

baustin

« Reply #5035 on: April 11, 2019, 12:03:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Given the diameter of the axles and how the trucks are used/designed the chances of bending either are slim (unless you're ACE)... I mean, how often do you see/hear about people bending axles of any truck anymore? Indys, theeve, thunders or otherwise? Pretty rare.

When it comes to Indys, you can tell the difference holding them/your board. Does that weight difference have an impact on skating? That's up to the rider. With Thunders, man the TI are sooo fucking light, hollows too. I've been riding thunder team hollows since they launched and haven't had the desire to bump up to TI, it's not worth it to me as we're talking 1-3oz difference here and I'm a weight whore. With Indy, it's gotta be TI unless I'm riding bowls.

Keep in mind most Pros are sent a ton of product and from what I have seen usually ride the base level/standards when it comes to trucks (go watch an NHS product pillage, standards for days filling up those carts). Of course a few might get to choose and or get their models sent to them on rotation. Lighter TI trucks are marketing tools.

I love the Thunder Team Hollows. All the benefits of the standard (cast plates) and super light for us weenies who care, plus they're not much more expensive. Personally I don't think TI are worth $20 more than hollows no matter the brand, I don't see a noticeable enough difference in weight or durability.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5036 on: April 11, 2019, 12:07:30 PM »
What's up with Thunder bushings? I bought a set of Titanium Lights a while ago and the bushings are not very soft. Mate of mine just bought Team Titaniums and his bushings are super fucking soft. Even cranked down a lot his trucks are way way looser than mine flush. I thought all Thunders came with the same durometer bushings.  :o Mine are white, his are red.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5037 on: April 11, 2019, 12:45:13 PM »
What's up with Thunder bushings? I bought a set of Titanium Lights a while ago and the bushings are not very soft. Mate of mine just bought Team Titaniums and his bushings are super fucking soft. Even cranked down a lot his trucks are way way looser than mine flush. I thought all Thunders came with the same durometer bushings.  :o Mine are white, his are red.

I'm running stock whites (Thanks, Heritage!) and they're pretty soft; much softer than the translucent piss yellow ones that came stock. I remember someone at DLX saying they are all the same duro but the white feel softer? No clue what's up with yours tho! I sand down thunder tops or put low bushings in them if I have any lying around, can't fuck with the bottoms tho, nothing fits thunders as well.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5038 on: April 11, 2019, 12:47:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I love the Thunder Team Hollows. All the benefits of the standard (cast plates) and super light for us weenies who care, plus they're not much more expensive. Personally I don't think TI are worth $20 more than hollows no matter the brand, I don't see a noticeable enough difference in weight or durability.

Diminishing returns, there's only so light I can go before it's noticeable or just weird last time I skated TI thunders they were forged 147s on an 8.2 with 51mm wheels, the whole thing felt too light, felt weird on ollies, like the pop had no heft to it...bizarre feeling.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #5039 on: April 11, 2019, 09:38:38 PM »

Running these Ventures with Riptides and stock green bushings. I put wax in the pivot cup, on the bushing yokes, and the kingpin. They snap back to center quickly, do not squeak anymore and feel loose without having to change bushings as most people do. They feel surfy, stable and grind really well.