Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232818 times)

I AM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5040 on: April 12, 2019, 05:16:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What do you guys think would be stronger, a hollow chromoly axle or a titanium alloy one?
[close]

Technically steel will be stronger but you're not going to bend either of them
[close]

Interesting, so you’re saying you think both are stronger than a solid chromoly axle? From my research, a titanium alloy is technically weaker of the same diameter as a chromoly one. But, I’ve never heard of anyone bending one. I dig that hollow trucks are only $10 more than the standards so I was considering them. $30 more for titanium’s...is it really worth it in terms of strength/lightness?
[close]

Given the diameter of the axles and how the trucks are used/designed the chances of bending either are slim (unless you're ACE)... I mean, how often do you see/hear about people bending axles of any truck anymore? Indys, theeve, thunders or otherwise? Pretty rare.

When it comes to Indys, you can tell the difference holding them/your board. Does that weight difference have an impact on skating? That's up to the rider. With Thunders, man the TI are sooo fucking light, hollows too. I've been riding thunder team hollows since they launched and haven't had the desire to bump up to TI, it's not worth it to me as we're talking 1-3oz difference here and I'm a weight whore. With Indy, it's gotta be TI unless I'm riding bowls.

Keep in mind most Pros are sent a ton of product and from what I have seen usually ride the base level/standards when it comes to trucks (go watch an NHS product pillage, standards for days filling up those carts). Of course a few might get to choose and or get their models sent to them on rotation. Lighter TI trucks are marketing tools.
indys bend just as much as ace do now, it's just that the modern hanger designs make it harder to notice. kinda hard to explain, optical illusions? ace is basically a straight bar so it's easier to tell when it's bending(could also be placebo) indys and others have the design where the whole hanger has a v shape, opposite to how trucks normally bend. you can test this out by putting wheels on the hanger and try to spin the hanger with hands on both wheels. if they're bent, it should spin around easily. the easier, the more bent. it's not like bent trucks hinder the actual performance, it just wears on you mentally. 

i think cast baseplates look ugly and unsettling. how can people claim to be ocd about trucks, while having two different shades of metal on the same truck? i also think it's kind of an unspoken rule where hollows are “cheating” or “not the real thing” with indys.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #5041 on: April 12, 2019, 05:50:04 AM »

Running these Ventures with Riptides and stock green bushings. I put wax in the pivot cup, on the bushing yokes, and the kingpin. They snap back to center quickly, do not squeak anymore and feel loose without having to change bushings as most people do. They feel surfy, stable and grind really well.

Love the way that whole setup looks.

I ended up putting some green 94a dlx bushings in my venture lows and they feel great. A little harder than the stock bushings, but I am also a little bigger so it feels like I have more control.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #5042 on: April 12, 2019, 06:01:36 AM »
Do you notice the weight difference to Titanium Indys over standard?

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #5043 on: April 12, 2019, 06:32:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What do you guys think would be stronger, a hollow chromoly axle or a titanium alloy one?
[close]

Technically steel will be stronger but you're not going to bend either of them
[close]

Interesting, so you’re saying you think both are stronger than a solid chromoly axle? From my research, a titanium alloy is technically weaker of the same diameter as a chromoly one. But, I’ve never heard of anyone bending one. I dig that hollow trucks are only $10 more than the standards so I was considering them. $30 more for titanium’s...is it really worth it in terms of strength/lightness?
[close]

Given the diameter of the axles and how the trucks are used/designed the chances of bending either are slim (unless you're ACE)... I mean, how often do you see/hear about people bending axles of any truck anymore? Indys, theeve, thunders or otherwise? Pretty rare.

When it comes to Indys, you can tell the difference holding them/your board. Does that weight difference have an impact on skating? That's up to the rider. With Thunders, man the TI are sooo fucking light, hollows too. I've been riding thunder team hollows since they launched and haven't had the desire to bump up to TI, it's not worth it to me as we're talking 1-3oz difference here and I'm a weight whore. With Indy, it's gotta be TI unless I'm riding bowls.

Keep in mind most Pros are sent a ton of product and from what I have seen usually ride the base level/standards when it comes to trucks (go watch an NHS product pillage, standards for days filling up those carts). Of course a few might get to choose and or get their models sent to them on rotation. Lighter TI trucks are marketing tools.
[close]
indys bend just as much as ace do now, it's just that the modern hanger designs make it harder to notice. kinda hard to explain, optical illusions? ace is basically a straight bar so it's easier to tell when it's bending(could also be placebo) indys and others have the design where the whole hanger has a v shape, opposite to how trucks normally bend. you can test this out by putting wheels on the hanger and try to spin the hanger with hands on both wheels. if they're bent, it should spin around easily. the easier, the more bent. it's not like bent trucks hinder the actual performance, it just wears on you mentally. 

i think cast baseplates look ugly and unsettling. how can people claim to be ocd about trucks, while having two different shades of metal on the same truck? i also think it's kind of an unspoken rule where hollows are “cheating” or “not the real thing” with indys.

What might cause that is hanger faces not being finished properly. If you look at where the axle meets the hanger the contact areas where the bearing sits iare very rarely straight or finished smoothly. That's why ace have that little cone shape, so the bearings are free to spin better when nestled against the hanger.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #5044 on: April 12, 2019, 07:05:58 AM »
Expand Quote

Running these Ventures with Riptides and stock green bushings. I put wax in the pivot cup, on the bushing yokes, and the kingpin. They snap back to center quickly, do not squeak anymore and feel loose without having to change bushings as most people do. They feel surfy, stable and grind really well.
[close]

I ended up putting some green 94a dlx bushings in my venture lows and they feel great. A little harder than the stock bushings, but I am also a little bigger so it feels like I have more control.

I weigh 255 pounds, so I feel you. I put my green dlx bushings and it felt looser than the stock green ones, the top stock bushing feels harder than the dlx top bushing.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #5045 on: April 12, 2019, 07:13:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I weigh 255 pounds, so I feel you. I put my green dlx bushings and it felt looser than the stock green ones, the top stock bushing feels harder than the dlx top bushing.

That is wild, I wonder is they used a different euro for those FTCs. The red ones that came with mine were so soft, even compared with the stock bushings that were in my last set.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #5046 on: April 12, 2019, 08:20:12 AM »
Do you notice the weight difference to Titanium Indys over standard?

Without question. Standard Indys are the industry heavyweight in more ways than one.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #5047 on: April 12, 2019, 08:30:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Madness strike me down ... pondering getting a 7.5 and using Venture lo 5.0s. Been riding 8.0 and Indy 139s. Miss skinny boards and as said above kickflips and landing straight
[close]

Been skating an 8.25 with 5.2 lows (hollow) and 51mm. Even if you don't want to size down boards, the 5.2 lows and small wheels really capture that classic feeling just as well.

I've got some 5.2 lows as well. I had an FA Gino deck on those a bit ago. Still good. I think venture are extremely underrated. Trying to get all the addicting Indy imagery out of my mind

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #5048 on: April 12, 2019, 09:45:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Madness strike me down ... pondering getting a 7.5 and using Venture lo 5.0s. Been riding 8.0 and Indy 139s. Miss skinny boards and as said above kickflips and landing straight
[close]

Been skating an 8.25 with 5.2 lows (hollow) and 51mm. Even if you don't want to size down boards, the 5.2 lows and small wheels really capture that classic feeling just as well.
[close]

I've got some 5.2 lows as well. I had an FA Gino deck on those a bit ago. Still good. I think venture are extremely underrated. Trying to get all the addicting Indy imagery out of my mind

Feel that for sure.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #5049 on: April 12, 2019, 10:05:41 AM »
Just pulled the Krux inverted kingpins out of my Indy Stage 7 and Mini Logo trucks.

In the Stage 7s they were binding when tightening.  The OD of the kingpin and the ID of the baseplate was just too tight. I could tighten the truck enough to get washer to bushing contact, but any more and I thought I was going to bend the allen wrench or strip the kingpin.  The damn thing just wouldn't turn.  I could have enlarged the baseplate but then would have been left with a sloppy kingpin if I ever went back to standard, so I just went back to standard.

On the Mini Logos, the JB Liquid Weld I had used to hold the nut in place cracked and was rattling around.  I couldn't tighten or loosen the trucks anymore.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5050 on: April 12, 2019, 01:59:27 PM »
Just pulled the Krux inverted kingpins out of my Indy Stage 7 and Mini Logo trucks.

In the Stage 7s they were binding when tightening.  The OD of the kingpin and the ID of the baseplate was just too tight. I could tighten the truck enough to get washer to bushing contact, but any more and I thought I was going to bend the allen wrench or strip the kingpin.  The damn thing just wouldn't turn.  I could have enlarged the baseplate but then would have been left with a sloppy kingpin if I ever went back to standard, so I just went back to standard.

On the Mini Logos, the JB Liquid Weld I had used to hold the nut in place cracked and was rattling around.  I couldn't tighten or loosen the trucks anymore.

Main reason I retired mine, the hassle wasn't worth it in the long run, except on ACEs, for whatever reason it always worked and was solid.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5051 on: April 12, 2019, 03:41:13 PM »
Some weird analysis -

Using a standard 32mm wide wheel, the measurement from outer wheel to outer wheel on 8.75 trucks is 8.43.  On 149's it's 8.18.  This leads to me to believe that 159/151's are better suited for 8.5 boards.

Will report back with my findings in 9 months after ACL rehab.....

sorry

• Rep: -14
« Reply #5052 on: April 12, 2019, 05:17:44 PM »

159 are better suited for 8.5 boards.

Well, ofcourse.. isnt this general consensus? Write it down kids

Ive been riding 8.5 with 159 for the majority of time, but recently I started to bite down the size, not really a practical use for such big dimensions when Im mostly skating street, right?
So Im riding 8.375 / 8.25 with 149 now, feels about right
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 05:19:20 PM by sorry »

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5053 on: April 12, 2019, 09:35:13 PM »
It’s funny how Ben was right about the wheel base having more of an affect on the feeling of the board than weight of the trucks

Had my 149 thunders on a real 8.25 and it was heavy

Switched over to my solid 144 Indy which are definitely heavier and the board felt lighter or easier to control

I know you all are gonna think well duh 149 is bigger than 144 so the 149 would be heavier

Cmon guys we are talking thunder vs Indy on weight and Indy’s are the heaviest, plus my thunder 149 are actually skated up decently cause I gave them to my friend who rips until he got other trucks

And he grinded them pretty good so they were supposed to definitely weigh less
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5054 on: April 13, 2019, 12:36:06 AM »
Some weird analysis -

Using a standard 32mm wide wheel, the measurement from outer wheel to outer wheel on 8.75 trucks is 8.43.  On 149's it's 8.18.  This leads to me to believe that 159/151's are better suited for 8.5 boards.

I've been thinking about this too. With Aces you get more axle thread showing than with other trucks, so even though the 44s are 8.38" wide, the wheels would be flush probably on an 8" or something.

Actually did some measurements after typing that out and Ace 44s with Spitfire Conical, Conical Full, Classic Full & Radial Slims all come down 8" wide from outside of the wheel to outside of the wheel on the other side. On 55s that'd be 8.625" if they're 9" wide. I didn't measure my 55s as they have wide ass cruiser wheels on them. This really goes to show that trucks are weird and Aces maybe even more so. I'd be down with an Ace 50 that'd be somewhere between the 44 and 55.

Then again what is that we want? Is it better to have the outside of your wheels or the axles flush with the edge of your board? Is the wheel design where the nut and axle extend far over the edge of the wheel optimal in any way or is it just something we've kinda ended up with and stuck with? 🤔

I'd also like to wish you a nice recovery! It'll take its time and at least I delved deep into gear nerdery when I couldn't skate for 6+ months after breaking my leg. But it was what kept me stoked on skating and I'm fine with that. :)

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5055 on: April 13, 2019, 03:53:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Some weird analysis -

[close]

I'd also like to wish you a nice recovery! It'll take its time and at least I delved deep into gear nerdery when I couldn't skate for 6+ months after breaking my leg. But it was what kept me stoked on skating and I'm fine with that. :)

thanks dude!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5056 on: April 13, 2019, 05:25:45 PM »
I like my wheels to line up with my board if at all possible; if not, I'd prefer them to be inside rather than outside the edge of the board.

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #5057 on: April 14, 2019, 11:12:17 AM »
Expand Quote
So I already mentioned in this thread that a few weeks back I threw some of the new ace bushings in my Krux and it made them amazing, surfy, and way stable - well, after skating a handful of sessions the magic has kind of worn off, should I make the switch to a different truck brand or is this maybe something that the ever-hyped riptide pivot cups would remedy?
[close]

Nothing will make krux turn...I tried everything without results.

Actually I'm gonna give this combo a shot, I've an Anti Hero board and the 14.375 with Thunders is the worst combo. The only thing I don't like about thunders is that you can max use a 14.25 wb or it's like a longboard. Xrux should shrink the overall wb so could be rideable. If I can find them in some European online store.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 11:18:38 AM by Italianshredder96 »

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5058 on: April 15, 2019, 06:51:53 AM »
Does anyone know where to buy replacement Indy hollow kingpins? I’ve found thunder hollow kingpins would they fit? I was thinking of putting hollow kingpins in my standard Indy’s. Has anyone done this? Will it change the geo? Would it matter if i used the thunder hollow kingpins? What are horse shoes? Do they have horse socks?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:30:33 AM by Murge »

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5059 on: April 15, 2019, 07:16:20 AM »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5060 on: April 15, 2019, 02:15:52 PM »

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #5061 on: April 15, 2019, 02:26:59 PM »
Why the 6 hole?
Two reasons:

1.) Hammering out the kingpins takes a few easy swings (Good luck to anyone trying to hammer out the forged ones) and;

2.) Extra 1.5mm wheel-bite clearance without risers (I never use risers on a non cruiser.)

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #5062 on: April 15, 2019, 08:35:48 PM »
Quick question any help appreciated .

I Got a new set of Indy forged hollows silver with stock orange bushings
They feel okay my other blue forged Indy’s with white stock bushings seemed to break in quicker

Anyway i was given a set of blue doh doh’s to try ive usually stuck with stock
Over the years unless they get old so before i try just wondering

what’s the pro/cons of bushings this soft..?? 88a Blue doh dohs that is?

Sorry for my stupidness

TooManyPros

« Reply #5063 on: April 16, 2019, 10:15:02 AM »
Quick question any help appreciated .

I Got a new set of Indy forged hollows silver with stock orange bushings
They feel okay my other blue forged Indy’s with white stock bushings seemed to break in quicker

Anyway i was given a set of blue doh doh’s to try ive usually stuck with stock
Over the years unless they get old so before i try just wondering

what’s the pro/cons of bushings this soft..?? 88a Blue doh dohs that is?

Sorry for my stupidness

If they are 88a I doubt you will notice much of a difference from stock.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5064 on: April 17, 2019, 07:36:34 AM »
So, I'm over these mag lights. There's really no perceivable difference in pop height or board control, and the wind thing drives me nuts. After one of the worst sessions I've ever had I shot my board off the quarter pipe and the thing pretty much flew away. They do have a nice design, just way too light. Gonna try them on my cruiser where the heavy wheels and the bigger board will make them feel more like my normal setup, plus the height is perfect for cruiser wheels with no riser.

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #5065 on: April 17, 2019, 08:01:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So I already mentioned in this thread that a few weeks back I threw some of the new ace bushings in my Krux and it made them amazing, surfy, and way stable - well, after skating a handful of sessions the magic has kind of worn off, should I make the switch to a different truck brand or is this maybe something that the ever-hyped riptide pivot cups would remedy?
[close]

Nothing will make krux turn...I tried everything without results.
[close]

Actually I'm gonna give this combo a shot, I've an Anti Hero board and the 14.375 with Thunders is the worst combo. The only thing I don't like about thunders is that you can max use a 14.25 wb or it's like a longboard. Xrux should shrink the overall wb so could be rideable. If I can find them in some European online store.

Well tried, still no turn, hope to try Indies asap

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #5066 on: April 17, 2019, 08:03:53 AM »
Krux are just weird trucks for weird people.

Complements4U

• Rep: 397
« Reply #5067 on: April 17, 2019, 08:18:36 AM »
Krux are just weird trucks for weird people.
Cthulhu doesn't need trucks though? Cthulhu does not even notice humans, and would not consider them of any significance upon awaking, let alone some puny activity. Everything that humans are and have achieved is nothing to Cthulhu. Even exterminating us would likely be no more than a byproduct of whatever Cthulhu decides to do upon awaking.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #5068 on: April 17, 2019, 08:19:29 AM »

TooManyPros

« Reply #5069 on: April 17, 2019, 08:21:58 AM »
So, I'm over these mag lights. There's really no perceivable difference in pop height or board control, and the wind thing drives me nuts. After one of the worst sessions I've ever had I shot my board off the quarter pipe and the thing pretty much flew away. They do have a nice design, just way too light. Gonna try them on my cruiser where the heavy wheels and the bigger board will make them feel more like my normal setup, plus the height is perfect for cruiser wheels with no riser.

Sounds like the regs/alum might be the way to go then? Maybe they should have gone for the middle ground and done the standard alum with hollow kings/axles.

Anyone know the weight of the tensor regs?