Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232664 times)

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5070 on: April 17, 2019, 11:52:55 AM »
My Ace 44 Mags w/krux kingpins

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5071 on: April 17, 2019, 02:16:08 PM »
My Ace 44 Mags w/krux kingpins

Hard to beat that combo! Still have mine setup that way, sitting in a box while I skate my theeve 5.5s since I downsized.

gnar'd
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:15:33 PM by Xen »

Dwyck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #5072 on: April 17, 2019, 06:57:43 PM »
Krux are just weird trucks for weird people.

Their PR guy just saw this post and is hastily taking notes
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #5073 on: April 17, 2019, 08:12:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So I already mentioned in this thread that a few weeks back I threw some of the new ace bushings in my Krux and it made them amazing, surfy, and way stable - well, after skating a handful of sessions the magic has kind of worn off, should I make the switch to a different truck brand or is this maybe something that the ever-hyped riptide pivot cups would remedy?
[close]

Nothing will make krux turn...I tried everything without results.
[close]

Actually I'm gonna give this combo a shot, I've an Anti Hero board and the 14.375 with Thunders is the worst combo. The only thing I don't like about thunders is that you can max use a 14.25 wb or it's like a longboard. Xrux should shrink the overall wb so could be rideable. If I can find them in some European online store.
[close]

Well tried, still no turn, hope to try Indies asap

Yeah I recently finally switched to Indy after only skating Krux for like three years (and tensors before that...) things feel fucking great but i threw my ace bushings in there and it feels like the geometey is fucked. Wondering if anyone does this, sure I'ce seen people mention it before, but do I need to sand down the bushings to make it work or something?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5074 on: April 17, 2019, 08:33:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So I already mentioned in this thread that a few weeks back I threw some of the new ace bushings in my Krux and it made them amazing, surfy, and way stable - well, after skating a handful of sessions the magic has kind of worn off, should I make the switch to a different truck brand or is this maybe something that the ever-hyped riptide pivot cups would remedy?
[close]

[close]

Actually I'm gonna give this combo a shot, I've an Anti Hero board and the 14.375 with Thunders is the worst combo. The only thing I don't like about thunders is that you can max use a 14.25 wb or it's like a longboard. Xrux should shrink the overall wb so could be rideable. If I can find them in some European online store.
[close]

[close]

Yeah I recently finally switched to Indy after only skating Krux for like three years (and tensors before that...) things feel fucking great but i threw my ace bushings in there and it feels like the geometey is fucked. Wondering if anyone does this, sure I'ce seen people mention it before, but do I need to sand down the bushings to make it work or something?

Agreed on Thunders+8.25WB unless you are intentionally going for a longer WB.

I've a set of Indy 144s with the new ace bushings (tall bottom+ LOW top) and it's fantastic if you like'em loose; I was using the low bottom ace for a bit and it felt off.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #5075 on: April 17, 2019, 08:51:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I've a set of Indy 144s with the new ace bushings (tall bottom+ LOW top) and it's fantastic if you like'em loose; I was using the low bottom ace for a bit and it felt off.

Weird, for me it's like impossible to tighten it down to make it flush without making it tighter than i like to skate, and I don't even use the bottom washer.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #5076 on: April 17, 2019, 09:26:30 PM »
What do you guys think would be stronger, a hollow chromoly axle or a titanium alloy one?

I would not buy the titaniums. Hollow has been around since the 80s with g&s. The truck was steel as well though.
 how do you really know that axles made of titanium. I would not be surprised if you got the regs at a higher price point and the shippers giggling at you.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5077 on: April 17, 2019, 11:44:52 PM »
Expand Quote
What do you guys think would be stronger, a hollow chromoly axle or a titanium alloy one?
[close]

I would not buy the titaniums. Hollow has been around since the 80s with g&s. The truck was steel as well though.
 how do you really know that axles made of titanium. I would not be surprised if you got the regs at a higher price point and the shippers giggling at you.

Use a magnet. Or you know, compare the weight…  ::)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5078 on: April 18, 2019, 10:26:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Use a magnet. Or you know, compare the weight…  ::)

Or look at the color of the metal...emerico TI has a blueish hue to it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:42:39 PM by Xen »

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #5079 on: April 18, 2019, 12:01:25 PM »
Thunder heads, can someone, in detail, explain what I need to know about the differences of Thunder 147s? As in : regular vs. Titanium lights vs hollow lights etc?
Heights, weights. Thanks

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #5080 on: April 18, 2019, 04:31:39 PM »
Tried independent for the first time in ages and am having truck madness for the first time in my life. Always been into ventures (preferably lows) but I love how surfy the indys are and how nice they feel when they grind.

It has me completely preoccupied and I don't know how some of you deal with this shit.

talklessSkateMore

• Rep: -40
« Reply #5081 on: April 18, 2019, 05:56:57 PM »
Thunder heads, can someone, in detail, explain what I need to know about the differences of Thunder 147s? As in : regular vs. Titanium lights vs hollow lights etc?
Heights, weights. Thanks

Check the internet? They have free computer access at libraries

-truck madness, just spend all your money on this shit then skate. Keeping bushings stock and use them
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #5082 on: April 18, 2019, 05:57:16 PM »
I can tell you that it consumes me all day at work in the back of my mind.
Nostalgia/ surfy ride (indy) vs function / stability(venture) vs a bit of both (thunder).

I think I'm about to enter a thunder phase. I love the ride of Indy but I feel like my tricks suck on them now, which most likely, is in my head, but you can't reason with madness

baustin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #5083 on: April 18, 2019, 06:41:15 PM »
Tried independent for the first time in ages and am having truck madness for the first time in my life. Always been into ventures (preferably lows) but I love how surfy the indys are and how nice they feel when they grind.

It has me completely preoccupied and I don't know how some of you deal with this shit.

Once you notice how bad they are at locking into crooks you’ll go back to Ventures, as you should. I went completely off the deep end a couple of months ago and tried 3 different trucks over the course of a few weeks but am back home with Thunder where I belong.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #5084 on: April 18, 2019, 07:45:46 PM »
Heights, weights. Thanks
Just get team editions the regular ones with the blue bushings. Leave your board in the trunk a couple times and you’re good to go.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #5085 on: April 18, 2019, 07:59:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Once you notice how bad they are at locking into crooks you’ll go back to Ventures, as you should. I went completely off the deep end a couple of months ago and tried 3 different trucks over the course of a few weeks but am back home with Thunder where I belong.

Thanks. Seriously.

Also, Venture needs to make a low wider than 5.2.

Larry Dallas

« Reply #5086 on: April 18, 2019, 08:59:25 PM »
Just buy one of each in whatever size you ride. You’ll be out like $200 and you don’t have to worry about it anymore.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5087 on: April 19, 2019, 06:22:17 AM »
So what’s the word on Krux downlow kingpins in Aces? I like my trucks loose. Well broken in Aces with stock bushings with the nut barely on. Do I have to sand down the top bushing to manage that with the Krux kingpin? Epoxying the nut in place is not a problem for me. There’s barely any kingpin clearance on Aces.  ???

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #5088 on: April 19, 2019, 07:46:08 AM »
I think just exposing the nut should work fine.....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5089 on: April 19, 2019, 08:56:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Weird, for me it's like impossible to tighten it down to make it flush without making it tighter than i like to skate, and I don't even use the bottom washer.

Were they the ACE Low bushings? I can only get the low tops to worth with either the low or regs bottoms (again, prefer the ACE regs bottoms with low tops); the ACE top bushing is tall AF compared to any other brand.

Even with stock/aftermarket indy bushings, I have sand down the top bushing (and use the thin bones washers for top) in order to get the nut low enough that it doesn't fall off and can skate them loose enough.

The Krux bushings are damn near identical to a tall ace bottom and short ace top combo (but stiffer).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #5090 on: April 19, 2019, 09:56:26 AM »
Yeah....I skate my trucks...'medium'......if you know what I mean...

baustin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #5091 on: April 19, 2019, 10:15:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks. Seriously.

Also, Venture needs to make a low wider than 5.2.

8.25 Ventures supposedly coming soon, hopefully they make them in the lows. I like Thunder and Venture both. Ventures for their confidence inspiring stability, Thunders for quick and fun turning and great maneuverability for tech skating. Indy I find fun to skate, I feel cool and wreckless on them. It just doesn’t translate well to the skating I like to do though, which is mostly low impact ledge stuff and flip tricks.

BasedSenpai

• Rep: -14
« Reply #5092 on: April 19, 2019, 11:53:01 AM »
Ace Trucks 55, no washers, tighten til top kingpin is just barely sticking out, ripride

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5093 on: April 19, 2019, 05:27:07 PM »
Heights, weights. Thanks

Rob here

I have all three,

The titanium are just a tad lighter than the hollow lights, not by much

So if it means anything you can just save a little and settle for the hollow lights if you want light for a few dollars to save

If you care more for feel, go with the team hollow lights

If your okay with the dead feeling of forged baseplates then you can go lighter with the usual hollow lights

The regular team solid ones are nice and cheap and always a goto but trust me, if you got the peso’s go for the hollow lights

Very worth it
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 06:10:28 PM by rob »
yes

Heywoodfloyd

• Rep: 13
« Reply #5094 on: April 20, 2019, 03:24:49 AM »
This might be controversial, but.

Is it possible for trucks to be to light?
I prefer regular team Thunder 148's and 149's, i want the nose to feel a bit heavy.
In a weird way it feels like the heavier the nose is(up to a point), the more it kinda charges the board with some tension as you start to pop, a bit like a Slapshot in Hockey.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #5095 on: April 20, 2019, 03:45:09 AM »
it's probably just me fucking shit up but over the years ive skated thunders (had sets from 2014) from now ive had hollow lights, titanium lights at one point and regular old team 149s and didnt notice any real difference however i found i'd be fucking up axles and breaking kingpins alot more often on the lights than i would regular team thunders. thats not to say im not fucking up team thunders actually as my axles are like a trainwreck but ive never broke a kingpin in team editions and i can usually skate them down to the axle and replace them whereas with lights theyve usually got fucked up to the point theyre unfixable. thenagain i am going back a few years to when i had the lights so i could be forgetting shit and they probably were fixable but everytime ive seen someone snap a thunder kingpin it's always been on lights.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #5096 on: April 20, 2019, 02:25:18 PM »
it's probably just me fucking shit up but over the years ive skated thunders (had sets from 2014) from now ive had hollow lights, titanium lights at one point and regular old team 149s and didnt notice any real difference however i found i'd be fucking up axles and breaking kingpins alot more often on the lights than i would regular team thunders.

I have a pair of Team Hollow Lights since 6 months, and they have both developed a slight axle bent that impede the rotation of the bearings. I've just put the exactly same wheels/bearings in a new pair of Indy's, and they spin freely with no problems. I guess hollow axles are more prone to bending, I'm not sure it's worth the gain of weight.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #5097 on: April 21, 2019, 07:59:50 AM »
This might be controversial, but.

Is it possible for trucks to be to light?
I prefer regular team Thunder 148's and 149's, i want the nose to feel a bit heavy.
In a weird way it feels like the heavier the nose is(up to a point), the more it kinda charges the board with some tension as you start to pop, a bit like a Slapshot in Hockey.

I know the feeling you are talking about. I get the same heavy nose feel also when I ride boards with minimal distance between the rear bolts and where the tail starts to angle, and also boards that have a super steep tail (or both)

ballintoohard

« Reply #5098 on: April 22, 2019, 10:38:27 AM »
What bushings do people like with Thunders?

I have Indy aftermarket 90A in my Indys and ride them med-loose. The Thunders have the 94A bushings, nuts almost falling off, and they do not turn for shit. Otherwise they feel ok. I've got some Bones mediums at home, which I've read conflicting things about using.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5099 on: April 22, 2019, 12:05:31 PM »
What bushings do people like with Thunders?

I have Indy aftermarket 90A in my Indys and ride them med-loose. The Thunders have the 94A bushings, nuts almost falling off, and they do not turn for shit. Otherwise they feel ok. I've got some Bones mediums at home, which I've read conflicting things about using.

Nothing works as good as stock Thunder bottoms (nothing matches the height); I use stock bottoms and shave the tops down to get them feeling the way I like - currently riding stock Thunder bottoms (90a) and ACE low top (91a) because I didn't feel like sanding'em down. Feels fine.