Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232826 times)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5100 on: April 22, 2019, 12:49:25 PM »
Just got hooked up with a set of the titanium Venture highs 5.2's. Are these too skinny to run on an 8.25 deck? I can't seem to fins a good Venture size chart.

Currently running Thunder 148's and like where they sit under the 8.25.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

curbslayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #5101 on: April 22, 2019, 12:53:21 PM »
Just got hooked up with a set of the titanium Venture highs 5.2's. Are these too skinny to run on an 8.25 deck? I can't seem to fins a good Venture size chart.

you need 5.8s for a 8.25 you will be a little tucked on those 5.25s 

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5102 on: April 22, 2019, 12:58:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Was hoping that wasn't the case, I'll have to see if my local will let me swap em out.
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #5103 on: April 22, 2019, 01:04:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Was hoping that wasn't the case, I'll have to see if my local will let me swap em out.

FWIW I was recently skating some 5.2s on an 8.25. There is a pic of it in the setup thread if you want to get an idea of how it looks. There was ample room to add washers to the inside and push the wheels out, but it felt fine to me.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #5104 on: April 22, 2019, 02:04:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Could hold them and wait for the 8.25" Ventures that should drop soon.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #5105 on: April 22, 2019, 03:34:47 PM »
Just bought some Thunders. This is my third time (a charm?) trying to just accept that these are the trucks that work for me in current times. Pretty excited actually

ballintoohard

« Reply #5106 on: April 22, 2019, 03:54:18 PM »
I felt that the Thunders can hold manual balance but are way harder to tip into a manual. Getting on top of crooks kinda sucks. Rotational stuff felt solid and they seemed easier to powerslide somehow. But damn they cannot turn or carve for shit with the stock 94A in them.

Wondering if I should just use a longer wheelbase deck with my old Indy's instead.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #5107 on: April 22, 2019, 04:25:17 PM »

soo does anybody know if this was scrapped? The round thunder baseplate.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5108 on: April 22, 2019, 05:43:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

FWIW I was recently skating some 5.2s on an 8.25. There is a pic of it in the setup thread if you want to get an idea of how it looks. There was ample room to add washers to the inside and push the wheels out, but it felt fine to me.

Doesn’t look too bad. Maybe I’ll lightly put it all together to get an idea in person.

Are the 5.25 closer to a thunder 147? I really wish DLX would put out the same data for venture as they do fo thunder now that it’s all under one place.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5109 on: April 22, 2019, 08:43:17 PM »

Dead silence.

Who knows...priorities with shit already in the queue? Maybe the fresh Venture reboot is slowing it down some? Same foundry/distro and launching new Thunders near new Ventures (8.25 and Ti variants) would cannibalize some market/mindshare?

Emerco owns [he IP of each of the big three trucks, they created all three, DLX/NHS and the now defunct Street corner (street corner and dlx were both founded by Vitello) are just distributors (sale channel middle men); Indy is still with NHS because of Novak.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #5110 on: April 22, 2019, 09:05:22 PM »
I could also see Frank swapping the baseplate
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #5111 on: April 23, 2019, 02:06:34 AM »
I could also see Frank swapping the baseplate

its morfords IG post. Safe to assume it is a legit proto.

"Test truck for Ishod"

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #5112 on: April 23, 2019, 06:26:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dead silence.

Who knows...priorities with shit already in the queue? Maybe the fresh Venture reboot is slowing it down some? Same foundry/distro and launching new Thunders near new Ventures (8.25 and Ti variants) would cannibalize some market/mindshare?

Emerco owns [he IP of each of the big three trucks, they created all three, DLX/NHS and the now defunct Street corner (street corner and dlx were both founded by Vitello) are just distributors (sale channel middle men); Indy is still with NHS because of Novak.

I don't know but if they ever do decide to make the baseplate longer I hope it isn't round like that. I can't see a benefit to a baseplate that doesn't lock in square with ledges. I would just like to see them give the baseplate 2-3mm more length but keep the same shape personally.

talklessSkateMore

• Rep: -40
« Reply #5113 on: April 23, 2019, 08:44:41 AM »
Red bottom ply and blue graphic is a nice combo
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5114 on: April 23, 2019, 10:31:53 AM »
lots of nose or tail slide marks with zero marks on the baseplate so my guess is it's not actually extended.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #5115 on: April 23, 2019, 11:35:36 AM »
lots of nose or tail slide marks with zero marks on the baseplate so my guess is it's not actually extended.

Or fresh trucks on an old setup?

I wouldn't put it past Grewer from Frankentrucking, but what trucks have a rounded BP like that where it wouldn't match up with Thunder hanger geo? Surely vintage OG plates don't fit current models?

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5116 on: April 23, 2019, 11:48:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Or fresh trucks on an old setup?

I wouldn't put it past Grewer from Frankentrucking, but what trucks have a rounded BP like that where it wouldn't match up with Thunder hanger geo? Surely vintage OG plates don't fit current models?

Most likely prototypes, I was out in SF 9 years ago with some guys that own a shop. We stopped by DLX got the tour checked out the offices then Jim gave us all some proto gear to ride for the week. One dude got some Spits which I think turned into f4's, another dude got to try out some new shape they were testing for Real, I think this later became the low pro shapes. Jim let me ride some Thunders that were prototypes, mainly because I was the only one willing to ride new trucks on a trip. They are a little difficult to explain, the bottom bushings had wing like things that seated into the underside of the hanger running along the axle. The idea was to get the hanger back to center faster and be more responsive. I believe he said it was an idea that Busenitz came up with. He asked no photos be taken and I obliged, partly because Mic-E took us to dinner, partly casuse I didn't want to be black listed from skateboarding or fuck up the DLX relationship with the shop. Trucks were sick, hardly any break in time, I emailed my thoughts on them to an engineer and Jim they thanked me and sent me some hollow lights for "helping out".

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #5117 on: April 23, 2019, 04:31:53 PM »
Sick insight, thanks for the post ^

I suspect my 2-3 year old Thunder Ti’s are succumbing to axel slip. Was putting on wheels and I noticed that the nut on one side was barely all the way on there and was locking up the wheel while the other side had threads sticking out and plenty of wiggle room left.

Might hop back on the Theeve train before giving the 5.6 ventures a shot when they come out

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #5118 on: April 23, 2019, 06:31:39 PM »
If anyone is following my personal truck madness which I am sure you are not - I decided to slice a big piece (probably 1/4) off the bottom ace bushing that I've had my indys, sanded it, and the top one down to be smooth, and then threw in the bottom washer that I hadn't been using (I always use the top) and now I can screw the kingpin bolt down to flush or a little under and it FUCKIN RIPS. I swear I skated way better today than I have for the last 8 months.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #5119 on: April 23, 2019, 07:24:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What do you guys think would be stronger, a hollow chromoly axle or a titanium alloy one?
[close]

I would not buy the titaniums. Hollow has been around since the 80s with g&s. The truck was steel as well though.
 how do you really know that axles made of titanium. I would not be surprised if you got the regs at a higher price point and the shippers giggling at you.
[close]

Use a magnet. Or you know, compare the weight…  ::)

Lol I can’t believe I didn’t think of using a magnet

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5120 on: April 23, 2019, 07:35:01 PM »
If anyone is following my personal truck madness which I am sure you are not - I decided to slice a big piece (probably 1/4) off the bottom ace bushing that I've had my indys, sanded it, and the top one down to be smooth, and then threw in the bottom washer that I hadn't been using (I always use the top) and now I can screw the kingpin bolt down to flush or a little under and it FUCKIN RIPS. I swear I skated way better today than I have for the last 8 months.

I went sorta opposite, stock ACE bottom + low ace top with a bones top washer (and the thinnest bottom washer I could find, I think it's an aftermarket indy bottom, as it's cups tighter) with riptide cup, in indy Ti, best feeling indy setup I've tinkered with (I ride on the looser side).

It isn't, however, as stable as it could be on center but that's the trade off.

ACE really killed it with the new bushings.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -293
« Reply #5121 on: April 25, 2019, 01:52:28 AM »
I’m sure this has been done already, but anyone fucking with Thunder 148’s?

If so, what size deck you running?

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #5122 on: April 25, 2019, 02:31:03 AM »

Tried 8.25, 8.38 and 8.5. I suggest not using 8.5 and above, too magic carpet. Be aware of the wb tho, 14 to 14.25 no more or it's like a longboard at least to me which I'm kinda short 5'7". Then if you want to switch out bushings thunder bushings are the best in thunder, I tried independent, krux and bones, they fuck up the geo. The best model at least to me is the team hollow, you have all the benefits of a hollow truck, but without any wheelbite problem (I run 54mm wheels and thunder 92a bushings) and they're still light enough 330g. I'm not that good yet to tell you about the nose slides matter, but I like them on transitions they're quick and on ledges they lock like a charm.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5123 on: April 25, 2019, 02:57:03 AM »

I ran them on an 8.12 and they felt so stable and perfect

yes

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -293
« Reply #5124 on: April 25, 2019, 03:43:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I ran them on an 8.12 and they felt so stable and perfect

Cheers Lad.. Did the trucks stick out?

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5125 on: April 25, 2019, 05:28:44 AM »

I am running them on 8.25, the quasi square shape. They aren't quite flush but very stable.

I have 149 on an old 8.25 and it is almost perfectly flush, running that one with softer wheels as a cruiserish set up

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5126 on: April 25, 2019, 06:35:43 AM »
I've been running 8.25 on 148's and there is a bit of overhang for sure.  I'm about to set up an 8.125 just to see.....

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5127 on: April 25, 2019, 06:57:39 AM »
I've been running 8.25 on 148's and there is a bit of overhang for sure.  I'm about to set up an 8.125 just to see.....

This isn't the case for me I am experiencing a bit of tuck

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #5128 on: April 25, 2019, 07:54:33 AM »
My thunder 147s show up tomorrow and I am excited like Xmas. Cannot wait to pop those magic thunder kickflips. In my now 43 year old low impact world, thunders and ventures just work better for me. Have not settled on either yet.

Is it weird to feel somewhat of a traitor for having been an Indy loyalist, but in my current state, feeling that they don't work for me anymore. Like breaking up with a long term girlfriend because now you just want different things.

(In saying this, Indys have felt different to me since that stage 9 debacle but I kept coming back, hoping they'd feel right again. Funny looking back but I really felt slighted by them when stage 9 came out. Like "you guys will buy any bullshit we put our name on, here's the stage 9 diarrhea, go fuck yourselves". Hate that truck forever. Then I skated ventures and skated probably the best I ever had)

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5129 on: April 25, 2019, 08:39:44 AM »
Man this is really wanting me to try some thunders. Maybe thunder lights. I’m afraid I’m too big to go hollow lights.

Also does I skate shorter WB I try to be as close to 14” wheel base as possible. Does anyone know if ventures change wheel base the way thunders make it longer ? Currently on Indy’s. I think they keep the wheel base pretty neutral right?

Drop trucks changing  wheelbase knowledge on me. I’ve seen little bits and pieces in this thread but I guess I’m just looking for more info on it. To help make a decision between thunder and venture