Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231197 times)

drinny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5160 on: April 28, 2019, 02:16:36 PM »
I've got a set in my most beaten up Ventures - Doh Doh 100a Rock Hard. They work well, loosely screwed down, nice bouncy turn but good wheelbite stoppers at that duro.

Stock in other 3 setups work great.

thebacker

« Reply #5161 on: April 28, 2019, 07:16:42 PM »
word, thanks everyone

i ended up taking out the top washer with the stock bushings and everything feels great so far
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 07:19:58 PM by DaveFuck »

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5162 on: April 28, 2019, 09:14:45 PM »
Expand Quote
anyone have bushing recommendations for ventures?

Stock? Bones?
[close]

Stock venture bushings are pretty soft and turn well but it gets progressively harder to turn due to the barrel shape. Bones center the board and turn more quickly. The bottom bones bushing is slightly shorter than stock. For my 5.2 lows, I bought two sets of bones bushings so i can use the washers they come with on both the bottom and top as it allowed me to maintain the geometry and screw on the kingpin nut.

Diocletian

« Reply #5163 on: April 29, 2019, 09:32:47 AM »
I have an 8.88” I wanna finally get around to skating. Biggest board I’ve ever purchased. I wanna try something new in regards to trucks and only use ones that will fit the Krux kingpin without epoxy. Anyone try those 9” Krux? How’s Krux turning in general? Lastly, do Thunder team’s fit the Krux kingpin without epoxy? 151’s seem like the only other option. Thanks in advance.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #5164 on: April 29, 2019, 10:20:41 AM »
I have an 8.88” I wanna finally get around to skating. Biggest board I’ve ever purchased. I wanna try something new in regards to trucks and only use ones that will fit the Krux kingpin without epoxy. Anyone try those 9” Krux? How’s Krux turning in general? Lastly, do Thunder team’s fit the Krux kingpin without epoxy? 151’s seem like the only other option. Thanks in advance.

Haven't used the 9" Krux, but have used the 8.5".  Turn on them is pretty shit.  I think I skated them for about 10 minutes total.  For reference, I mainly skate Indy and Mini Logo.

Ace 55s?  Maybe someone who has used Krux Kingpins in them can chime in as to how easy/hard it was.  I see a few people above did it.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5165 on: April 29, 2019, 10:27:27 AM »

Thunder Teams can't take the pins without epoxy if you try and crank them down after you've set them up, the nut will eventually spin...it almost locks it down. Last time I set up cast plates with the pins I put in a drop of super glue, it worked fine (but I never messed with them after).

Unpopular opinion but if you want to try something new (and can take the pins but with epoxy), and want a truck that actually turns, Theeve makes 6.5/9" hanger, could snag the TiAXs. What about Indys? 159 (8.75) or 169s would fit nice.

backinaction, ACE need epoxy when running the Krux Pins.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 10:30:56 AM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5166 on: April 29, 2019, 01:14:55 PM »
I ride 'medium' trucks and I have the krux in aces and thunders, no epoxy and they work fine.  I just have to leave them, or I adjust them between setting up boards. 

To me they are sick on thunders because the clearance is shit....

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5167 on: April 29, 2019, 02:50:40 PM »
I ride 'medium' trucks and I have the krux in aces and thunders, no epoxy and they work fine.  I just have to leave them, or I adjust them between setting up boards. 

Damn I’m tempted to throw some of those kingpins on the thunders now, they won’t spin? Cause I remembered thunder also has that square section where it can hold the nut but it’s too wide to keep it secure?
yes

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5168 on: April 29, 2019, 03:37:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn I’m tempted to throw some of those kingpins on the thunders now, they won’t spin? Cause I remembered thunder also has that square section where it can hold the nut but it’s too wide to keep it secure?

He's saying they will spin, just set them before you put the trucks back on the board and don't worry about it. I find they make the trucks slightly more squirley since the kingpin isn't totally solid but it's probably not a big deal to most.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5169 on: April 29, 2019, 05:27:10 PM »
Do Ventures have more or less turn than Thunders?

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #5170 on: April 29, 2019, 06:17:40 PM »
What's the usual thunder break-in process? Don't adjust trucks -> 3 sessions -> then good? I've got one session in but it keeps raining

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5171 on: April 29, 2019, 06:26:29 PM »
Do Ventures have more or less turn than Thunders?

They seem to turn less than thunders.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5172 on: April 29, 2019, 10:41:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

He's saying they will spin, just set them before you put the trucks back on the board and don't worry about it. I find they make the trucks slightly more squirley since the kingpin isn't totally solid but it's probably not a big deal to most.

I don't find the kingpins is loose and because I skate em on the tighter side everything stays snug.  It's gotta be OG baseplate...

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #5173 on: April 30, 2019, 06:30:54 AM »
I tried Krux kingpins in my Thunders for a day and took them out because I heard and felt a weird click when I maxed them out and the turn didn't feel quite the same but maybe I was just going crazy. Also, I think I'm one of those weird people who prefers not having lots of kingpin clearance on smith grinds. I like having a nicely ground down kingpin bolt to rest them on or I dip too far and fall off. I think going from 147s to 148s actually kinda messed up my smiths at first due to the increased clearance.

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #5174 on: April 30, 2019, 07:29:04 AM »
What's the usual thunder break-in process? Don't adjust trucks -> 3 sessions -> then good? I've got one session in but it keeps raining

of all the trucks ive skated thunders feel the best right away, i'd say one long session or two sessions for break in time.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #5175 on: April 30, 2019, 07:52:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

of all the trucks ive skated thunders feel the best right away, i'd say one long session or two sessions for break in time.

Thunders skate well for me 1st session, I swap the bushings for bones medium tighten the kingpin nut down so its flush with the bolt and forget about it.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #5176 on: April 30, 2019, 08:10:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seconded.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #5177 on: April 30, 2019, 08:42:07 AM »
yeah one session at default then adjust as needed. my current set i just cruised around and popped ollies and shit for like a half hour/hour, tightened a pinch and theyve been great ever since.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #5178 on: April 30, 2019, 03:16:06 PM »
My first session sucked but not because of trucks,  my back was stiff from working on my yard all day, couldn't even Ollie. Didn't really achieve a true session. Now it's rained 3 days straight. Wanna break these bad boys in

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5179 on: April 30, 2019, 04:02:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same here EXCEPT for the clear piss yellow ones, they felt hard and I didn't enjoy them. Every other pair with plain white bushings feels better; I wonder if it has to do with clear vs opaque?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5180 on: April 30, 2019, 04:33:44 PM »
If had the red ones which were sick.....

SadandLonely

• Rep: -30
« Reply #5181 on: April 30, 2019, 05:59:29 PM »
I ride no washers because I need loose and wobbly trucks...

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5182 on: May 01, 2019, 02:04:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Same here EXCEPT for the clear piss yellow ones, they felt hard and I didn't enjoy them. Every other pair with plain white bushings feels better; I wonder if it has to do with clear vs opaque?

That’s crazy cause I like the yellow ones, they’re the classic 147 and 149 thunder bushings

The white ones definitely feel softer and better for looser riders but I ride my trucks tight so the yellow are perfect for me
yes

thebacker

« Reply #5183 on: May 01, 2019, 06:25:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s crazy cause I like the yellow ones, they’re the classic 147 and 149 thunder bushings

The white ones definitely feel softer and better for looser riders but I ride my trucks tight so the yellow are perfect for me

can i use the white thunder bushings in ventures?

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5184 on: May 01, 2019, 10:38:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think they will be too tall. At least on Venture Lo`s.

Technique

« Reply #5185 on: May 01, 2019, 10:48:35 AM »
Full stock 169 Indys. Quit playing.

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #5186 on: May 01, 2019, 09:09:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Theres no real fact to this but what ive been told (and experienced) is that all the stock colors are the same duro, but some react differently.  apparently a lot of people specifically go for the white ones.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5187 on: May 01, 2019, 11:59:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’d say go for it

Cause from my experience the thunder bushings, especially the white ones, work in most trucks fine

I kinda prefer thunder bushings over other after market bushings in non thunder trucks just cause they still have that rebound just a bit looser in other trucks
yes

Dustwardprez

« Reply #5188 on: May 02, 2019, 12:14:39 AM »
The thunder bottom is kinda tall. In a venture I would use bones or Indy replacement parts. Pj uses bones in his ventures. I’m telling you right now I’ve seen him skate. He turns np

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #5189 on: May 02, 2019, 12:51:58 AM »
I ran Bones in Venture lows 5.2 for a long time and sometimes got wheelbite doing bs nosegrinds.
Changed to stock Venture bushings on the bottom and  medium or hard Bones top bushings and the wheelbite issue is solved, the trucks feels a little bit more stable not a quick as before but after a few minutes i got used to it.

Now this is solved my truck madness is questioning the forged baseplates.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 01:50:52 AM by oneOone »