Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1233218 times)

thebacker

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5190 on: May 02, 2019, 06:21:00 AM »
The thunder bottom is kinda tall. In a venture I would use bones or Indy replacement parts. Pj uses bones in his ventures. I’m telling you right now I’ve seen him skate. He turns np

word ill check this out when i get a chance

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #5191 on: May 02, 2019, 08:44:27 AM »
I second bones bushing for ventures, but not for thunders.  take too long to break in, and then actually break soon after because the geometry is for indys/ventures not thunders.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #5192 on: May 02, 2019, 08:59:01 AM »
I second bones bushing for ventures, but not for thunders.  take too long to break in, and then actually break soon after because the geometry is for indys/ventures not thunders.

I've been running bones medium in thunder highs for years without issues
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

drunk guy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #5193 on: May 02, 2019, 10:15:03 AM »
venture highs and bones yellow tops

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #5194 on: May 02, 2019, 10:29:59 AM »
most people that i know who skate thunders always swap for bones bushings .

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #5195 on: May 02, 2019, 12:31:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

maybe its just the way I skate then, the hard yellow always jams/gets pushed into the softer bushing part after a month or less for me, was told by dude at the shop its because the angle of the kingpin is different on thunders vs. indys.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

« Reply #5196 on: May 02, 2019, 12:36:18 PM »
I got tired of the hard blue part of the Bones Bushings separating from the bushing and falling apart after a few weeks.

I run flat washers top and bottom and I use the white Indy super soft bushings.  I have the extra strength Loc Tite on both kingpins so I can run them super loose without worrying about the nut falling off.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #5197 on: May 02, 2019, 01:16:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

maybe its just the way I skate then, the hard yellow always jams/gets pushed into the softer bushing part after a month or less for me, was told by dude at the shop its because the angle of the kingpin is different on thunders vs. indys.

How far are you cranking down the kingpin nut? I'm tightening mine just enough that they won't fall off
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Chanel West Coast

« Reply #5198 on: May 02, 2019, 06:50:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

How far are you cranking down the kingpin nut? I'm tightening mine just enough that they won't fall off

pretty standard, its happened to me every time I skate them and I know its pretty common, the person above this just described the same thing happening to them.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5199 on: May 02, 2019, 07:11:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nothing to do with the angle of the kingpin everything to do with the height of the bushing the truck was designed for. All the interfacing between bushings/washers/hanger should be flat to flat. When you take a Bones bottom bushing and put it in a Thunder, it's considerably shorter and the hanger sits at an angle it wasn't designed for. All the pressure when you stand, turn, and land is smoking the Bones bushing harder on one side and you get the blow out from the angles being screwed.

Indy, Venture, and DLX Supercush are all pretty interchangeable. Thunders bottoms are too tall for any of those. Only other bushing with the same bottom height as a Thunder is Ace (standard). But then the Ace top is too tall for Thunder and you're in frankentruck territory.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #5200 on: May 03, 2019, 02:23:54 AM »
Got 5.8 Venture V-Lights recently. Put some green supercush in at first, then tried Bones hards, then stock, now I'm back on the Bones hards, definitely feels the best to me.

The supercush and stock are nice, fit perfectly and the turn is quite smooth but the do make the truck feel a little more wheelbite prone and the it feels a little harder to have the trucks perfectly centred when setting up for a trick compared to the Bones. Funny how somebody above had the exact opposite experience. Was hesitant to use the Bones at first because they didn't seem to fit as well but it works and feels better to me.

I came from Indy 149 titaniums, not an incredibly drastic difference. The turn feels similar, but a little slower and not as sharp. Pop feels a little more snappy and overall feels more stable at the expense of a quick sharp turn. The extended wheelbase is nice as I can skate shorter boards and retain the same effective wheelbase.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 03:18:28 AM by tzhangdox »

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5201 on: May 03, 2019, 08:26:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This eventually happens to me as well no matter the truck, but the geo being off definitely exacerbates the issue.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5202 on: May 04, 2019, 01:00:06 PM »
Bones plus a smaller lower washer is the same height as a stock Thunder bushing and probably avoids the blowout. So, a Bones bushing is ~1-1.5mm shorter.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5203 on: May 04, 2019, 05:08:08 PM »
ive put krux 80a in venture hi's and they didnt fit or feel great. riptide 78a short street cone up top and 78a street barrel bottom make them feel better than stock imo.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5204 on: May 04, 2019, 06:36:05 PM »
Annoying question. I keep switching from 8.25 to 8.38 to 8.5 on Indy’s. Trying to get some thunders but do I go 148 or 149?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5205 on: May 04, 2019, 06:52:18 PM »
Annoying question. I keep switching from 8.25 to 8.38 to 8.5 on Indy’s. Trying to get some thunders but do I go 148 or 149?

149's would be a safe bet for any of those widths.

talklessSkateMore

• Rep: -40
« Reply #5206 on: May 04, 2019, 07:38:28 PM »
Now this is solved my truck madness is questioning the forged baseplates.

My opinion amd experience is limited, but I find the standard cast baseplates more enjoyable
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5207 on: May 04, 2019, 08:00:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
149's would be a safe bet for any of those widths.

Very much appreciated. Thank you.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:57:48 AM by Murge »

WorkClothscape

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5208 on: May 04, 2019, 11:50:11 PM »
I have Thunder 145's, the cheapest version, nothing hollow or forged and the piss-yellow bushings.

They don't have any kingpin clearance. I don't need much, like in my other setup I'm running 148's and thats enough for me. Have you guys solved this problem somehow or are you just grinding with your kingpins?

Another problem is that I can't get them loose enough. Tried to take off the top washer and loosen the nut, but that isn't enough. In fact I even went so loose that the nut and the front hanger fell off mid 50-50. Is there a bushing that would be so soft that I could tighten the nut properly and still turn?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5209 on: May 05, 2019, 01:25:34 AM »
I have Thunder 145's, the cheapest version, nothing hollow or forged and the piss-yellow bushings.

They don't have any kingpin clearance. I don't need much, like in my other setup I'm running 148's and thats enough for me. Have you guys solved this problem somehow or are you just grinding with your kingpins?

Another problem is that I can't get them loose enough. Tried to take off the top washer and loosen the nut, but that isn't enough. In fact I even went so loose that the nut and the front hanger fell off mid 50-50. Is there a bushing that would be so soft that I could tighten the nut properly and still turn?

How loose you aiming for? Like rattling Max Palmer loose? If so you might have to shave the top bushing down, but Thunder tops are already shorter than most other brands out there. Gerwer and Bobby De Keyzer are the only names I can recall that run Thunders super loose and they both chop the bushings down to get them there.

WorkClothscape

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5210 on: May 05, 2019, 01:52:29 AM »
How loose you aiming for? Like rattling Max Palmer loose? If so you might have to shave the top bushing down, but Thunder tops are already shorter than most other brands out there. Gerwer and Bobby De Keyzer are the only names I can recall that run Thunders super loose and they both chop the bushings down to get them there.

No, not that loose. In my 148s I have well broken in bushings and the nuts are flush with the kingpin top. That's about the looseness what I'm hoping to get with the 145.

Have to try chopping the top bushing, thanks for the tip.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5211 on: May 05, 2019, 02:02:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No, not that loose. In my 148s I have well broken in bushings and the nuts are flush with the kingpin top. That's about the looseness what I'm hoping to get with the 145.

Have to try chopping the top bushing, thanks for the tip.

Understood. Maybe give the 90d bushings a try, the clear red ones that come in the Thunder rebuild kits. When I rode Thunders I found them to be the softest available. They came stock in the Team Hollows/Titaniums they did a few drops back and a lot of people complained they were too soft. They had almost no break-in time. Might be worth checking out.

papo

• Rep: -191
« Reply #5212 on: May 05, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »
Mini logo trucks anyone? I wonder what yall experience is. I have some 8.38 for my 8.5 deck and once you have broken into them, they feel decent. Still, the bushings feel odd compared to those on my Indy trucks.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 11:47:47 AM by papo »

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5213 on: May 05, 2019, 12:29:49 PM »
Mini logo trucks anyone? I wonder what yall experience is. I have some 8.38 for my 8.5 deck and once you have broken into them, they feel decent. Still, the bushings feel odd compared to those on my Indy trucks.

I really like them.  Dont expect any respect riding them ;D

papo

• Rep: -191
« Reply #5214 on: May 05, 2019, 01:28:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I really like them.  Dont expect any respect riding them ;D
i could care less about other people’s respect, I did wonder about people’s experience. Took me a min to get used to them but now I like them.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5215 on: May 05, 2019, 03:06:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Now this is solved my truck madness is questioning the forged baseplates.
[close]

My opinion amd experience is limited, but I find the standard cast baseplates more enjoyable

Cast plates add an extra 1-2mm compared to forged plates. I kinda like the cast plates because of the extra height, and the fact that my hardware doesn't stick out much. Forged is lighter and stronger, factors that aren't very important for my kind of skating.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 03:08:26 PM by sneakpeekmeek »

reverbtank

• Rep: 3
« Reply #5216 on: May 05, 2019, 03:27:24 PM »
Anyone else put Bones bushings on a 159 Indy Hollow?

I’m getting this ridiculous pop every time I turn both left and right. I think it’s from the bottom bushing like it fits too tight in the bottom of the hanger and it’s popping out when it’s under pressure.

It’s really aggravating me and it’s been months of riding and it won’t stop. I don’t have this issue on regular Indy’s with Bones.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 03:29:49 PM by reverbtank »

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5217 on: May 05, 2019, 05:00:06 PM »

I’m getting this ridiculous pop every time I turn both left and right. I think it’s from the bottom bushing like it fits too tight in the bottom of the hanger and it’s popping out when it’s under pressure.

It’s really aggravating me and it’s been months of riding and it won’t stop. I don’t have this issue on regular Indy’s with Bones.

Wax the bushings and pivot cup.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #5218 on: May 05, 2019, 05:17:26 PM »

It sometimes happens to me when I get new bones bushings. Try wax pivot cups and bushings, and maybe try some different washer combinations. For me it usually went away after a few sessions so months on end seems really strange.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5219 on: May 05, 2019, 06:02:01 PM »
Not chirping on anyone who rides Bones in Indy's, but I've never heard it articulated well, what's the benefit of Bones over aftermarket Indy bushings? I understand stock Indy's bushings can be a bit shit, but I've seen more than enough blown out Bones to consider the quality angle a wash. I've only ever had Bones in a set of Ventures, and noticed no real improvement in turn/stability etc. Genuinely curious.