Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1233078 times)

talklessSkateMore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -40
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5220 on: May 05, 2019, 07:49:00 PM »
Not chirping on anyone who rides Bones in Indy's, but I've never heard it articulated well, what's the benefit of Bones over aftermarket Indy bushings? I understand stock Indy's bushings can be a bit shit, but I've seen more than enough blown out Bones to consider the quality angle a wash. I've only ever had Bones in a set of Ventures, and noticed no real improvement in turn/stability etc. Genuinely curious.

The increased rebound/resistance from the plastic core in the center/top. Using both stock washers helps increase the life of the bushings. At +/- 150lbs I can only ride the soft bones. The mediums just didn't offer the turn I wanted
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.

reverbtank

• Rep: 3
« Reply #5221 on: May 05, 2019, 08:52:07 PM »
Yeah I can’t say I noticed a massive improvement, but it was certainly a bit of an improvement. They feel broken in immediately.

What bushings would y’all recommend? My local shop only carries Bones and Indy bushings at the moment.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5222 on: May 06, 2019, 04:31:17 AM »
Bones basically don't fit correctly in any trucks except stage 10 indys.  I don't know why they don't just make various sizes for different trucks currently on the market

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #5223 on: May 06, 2019, 04:43:19 AM »
i've always wondered what exactly causes bushings to blow out as i seem to do with every set of trucks i have. for example both my front and rear trucks are basically this:

i know running super tight trucks can cause them to blow out quick along with general wear and tear. they're stock bushings and i don't think i've really tightened them since i got them (which is pushing a year). i presume it's down to something like the sides of the hanger compressing against the bushing again combined with general wear and tear or is there a multitude of factors/variables that cause it?

i also just realized i've hit the tiniest bit of axle on the truck  :D

pauline_handsome

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5224 on: May 06, 2019, 05:13:54 AM »
Are the bushings on Indy Titaniums the same as the standard stage 11's?

Really stoked on how the titaniums have felt so far.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5225 on: May 06, 2019, 06:26:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Mini logo trucks anyone? I wonder what yall experience is. I have some 8.38 for my 8.5 deck and once you have broken into them, they feel decent. Still, the bushings feel odd compared to those on my Indy trucks.
[close]

I really like them.  Dont expect any respect riding them ;D
[close]
i could care less about other people’s respect, I did wonder about people’s experience. Took me a min to get used to them but now I like them.

Mini logo trucks really are nice, I like them a lot

They’re such under dog trucks for how well they feel for street, they feel so broken in and just ready to go

Responds quick and very stable

Like a less quirky thunder in my opinion

I tried them with bones mediums and they are nice trucks with bones upgraded but honestly I like the stock cylinder bushings a lot, skate one really knows how to make quality stuff that just works
yes

Dustwardprez

« Reply #5226 on: May 06, 2019, 08:24:05 AM »
Not chirping on anyone who rides Bones in Indy's, but I've never heard it articulated well, what's the benefit of Bones over aftermarket Indy bushings? I understand stock Indy's bushings can be a bit shit, but I've seen more than enough blown out Bones to consider the quality angle a wash. I've only ever had Bones in a set of Ventures, and noticed no real improvement in turn/stability etc. Genuinely curious.

Winter weather. The bones bushings the ace bushings and bitter bushings don’t freeze that’s the main reason why I rock them

papo

• Rep: -191
« Reply #5227 on: May 06, 2019, 10:24:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Mini logo trucks anyone? I wonder what yall experience is. I have some 8.38 for my 8.5 deck and once you have broken into them, they feel decent. Still, the bushings feel odd compared to those on my Indy trucks.
[close]

I really like them.  Dont expect any respect riding them ;D
[close]
i could care less about other people’s respect, I did wonder about people’s experience. Took me a min to get used to them but now I like them.
[close]

Mini logo trucks really are nice, I like them a lot

They’re such under dog trucks for how well they feel for street, they feel so broken in and just ready to go

Responds quick and very stable

Like a less quirky thunder in my opinion

I tried them with bones mediums and they are nice trucks with bones upgraded but honestly I like the stock cylinder bushings a lot, skate one really knows how to make quality stuff that just works

My 8.38 have white bushings which are medium i believe but i think i need harder bushings because

ballintoohard

« Reply #5228 on: May 06, 2019, 12:47:46 PM »
Thunders vs. Indy vs. Venture

Indy's are surfiest and shorter wheelbase. I then used some Thunders and have them turning OK with 90D bushings and getting used to the snap and manual balance.

Got some Ventures, but haven't used them and might return. Are they just going to be like the jump from Indy's to Thunders and slower/more stable or is there any "in between"? I know they lengthen wheelbase, but kingpin angle and baseplate length might mitigate that somewhat.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5229 on: May 06, 2019, 03:38:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The increased rebound/resistance from the plastic core in the center/top. Using both stock washers helps increase the life of the bushings. At +/- 150lbs I can only ride the soft bones. The mediums just didn't offer the turn I wanted

As a fellow lightweight I can understand that. Sort of the reason I prefer the mixed duro's of Ace's, the harder top makes for a nicer snap back to center.

Bones basically don't fit correctly in any trucks except stage 10 indys.  I don't know why they don't just make various sizes for different trucks currently on the market

I've heard this as well. The lack of fit would drive me a bit mental, but enough people make it work for them I guess.

oneOone

« Reply #5230 on: May 07, 2019, 05:40:14 AM »
Anybody know if the Venture (forged and cast) Baseplate is the same for high and lows?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5231 on: May 07, 2019, 05:48:14 AM »
Are the bushings on Indy Titaniums the same as the standard stage 11's?

Really stoked on how the titaniums have felt so far.
99% sure they're the same.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

sneakpeekmeek

« Reply #5232 on: May 07, 2019, 07:02:32 AM »
Anybody know if the Venture (forged and cast) Baseplate is the same for high and lows?

Forged baseplate venture's are about 2mm lower than the cast baseplate version

oneOone

« Reply #5233 on: May 07, 2019, 07:18:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks but I was thinking about switching the Hanger (low/hi) and keep the baseplate.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5234 on: May 07, 2019, 10:17:10 AM »

Venture baseplates are the same for hi/low trucks.  The forged and cast are different, but their baseplates aren't different depending on hi/low trucks.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #5235 on: May 07, 2019, 02:55:18 PM »
Running Bones Mediums in some Theeve TiKings and they turn exactly how I’d want a truck to turn. Stable for popping tricks and landing hard but I can pull off really tight, snappy turns if I need to thanks to their geometry and the oval yolk

Every time I skate theeves they feel so natural to me. I haven’t skated these in months and my first 3 sessions back on them were all fire. I’ve got history with Venture and Thunder as a kid so I always end up getting swayed by their videos/ads, and I do skate great on both, but I’m probably best on theeves. I always get sick of that thunder wheelbite after a while and Venture doesn’t offer the kind of trucks I want in my size (although that’s changing soon with the 5.6’s & hollow 5.8s) so fuck it, I’m riding these shits til they break or hit the axel. Already had some nice grooves in them so they lock in just right every time too

sneakpeekmeek

« Reply #5236 on: May 07, 2019, 02:58:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks but I was thinking about switching the Hanger (low/hi) and keep the baseplate.

i read that wrong. that's my fault. They're the same for high's and lows yes.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #5237 on: May 07, 2019, 04:51:23 PM »
Im thinking about ordering vintage super pro V composite (plastic) gullwings

Diocletian

« Reply #5238 on: May 07, 2019, 08:53:49 PM »
Has anyone here tried a more softer plastic riser that’s not quite rubber, like the Krooked, Modus, or Lucky? If so, did they squish over time defeating the purpose of preventing wheelbite? Or did they retain their height? Thanks in advance.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #5239 on: May 07, 2019, 09:03:25 PM »
The indy shock pads are rubber but retain their height (but will compress a bit when you crank the nuts down), and dont disintegrate over time. The mini logo ones are a little softer than hard plastic, but harder than the indy shock pads. Dooks are nice but go to shit in a few sessions.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #5240 on: May 07, 2019, 09:40:27 PM »
Has anyone here tried a more softer plastic riser that’s not quite rubber, like the Krooked, Modus, or Lucky? If so, did they squish over time defeating the purpose of preventing wheelbite? Or did they retain their height? Thanks in advance.

I've got 1/8 inch lucky risers and they've held up wheel after a while. The squish out a teeny bit and don't have a perfect square shape but they maintain their height fine

oneOone

« Reply #5241 on: May 08, 2019, 12:02:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Venture baseplates are the same for hi/low trucks.  The forged and cast are different, but their baseplates aren't different depending on hi/low trucks.
Thanks!

ballintoohard

« Reply #5242 on: May 08, 2019, 09:02:19 AM »
Got some V Light 5.8's. Turn feels fairly loose stock, way looser than any other stock truck setup. Surfy like Indy, but much harder to tip into a manual more than Thunder. So, they're like a mix between the two. Very light feeling when lifting your board up and somehow I'm popping into my shitty curb back tails easier which is bonus points.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5243 on: May 08, 2019, 10:13:28 AM »

I've some lucky risers that are not squishy shock pads but not super hard plastic either, they're a very pliable plastic (you could push your fingernail into them and leave an indent) but hold their shape and absorb some vibration. Found them on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K33QKVC/ref=twister_B00K33QKSU?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use these on my cruiser w/ACEs and 56MM wheels.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 11:03:04 AM by Xen »

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #5244 on: May 08, 2019, 11:39:48 AM »
the height doesn't really change, but if you tighten it too much it can change. they get sort of stretched out around the edges and i imagine tail/nose slides would be bad. they also make your board feel soggy but maybe that's a good thing if you like soft pivot cups or something. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 11:41:56 AM by I AM »

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #5245 on: May 08, 2019, 02:36:36 PM »
This old pic of Mullen (cropped for trucks sake)... are these Ventures? I thought he skated Indys until Destructo, then Tensor. Believe this is from 1993.

Diocletian

« Reply #5246 on: May 08, 2019, 03:22:30 PM »

I've got 1/8 inch lucky risers and they've held up wheel after a while. The squish out a teeny bit and don't have a perfect square shape but they maintain their height fine

the height doesn't really change, but if you tighten it too much it can change. they get sort of stretched out around the edges and i imagine tail/nose slides would be bad. they also make your board feel soggy but maybe that's a good thing if you like soft pivot cups or something. 

Thanks fellas. I’m trying the lucky’s on Thunders to raise the height. Hope they don’t make my board sound dead. I have 1/8” thunder risers somewhere I think but I remember someone saying they break easily, so I never tried them out. Seems like the only risers that truly fit are the ones that let you slide it up and down, as opposed to ones with the fixed holes?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5247 on: May 08, 2019, 03:28:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks fellas. I’m trying the lucky’s on Thunders to raise the height. Hope they don’t make my board sound dead. I have 1/8” thunder risers somewhere I think but I remember someone saying they break easily, so I never tried them out. Seems like the only risers that truly fit are the ones that let you slide it up and down, as opposed to ones with the fixed holes?

Seems the slider design is the most common, even the Thunder branded ones use it.

Diocletian

« Reply #5248 on: May 08, 2019, 03:45:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Seems the slider design is the most common, even the Thunder branded ones use it.

The last risers I used were Indy’s on Indy’s. Before that I used Dooks hard plastic ones under them years ago and they fit perfect. But Thunders have an odd baseplate it seems. A lot of risers don’t fit them. I’d imagine you could use an Indy or Dooks riser underneath just about any truck on the market. Thunders seem locked into the sliding riser camp only.

papo

• Rep: -191
« Reply #5249 on: May 08, 2019, 03:52:15 PM »
All fuckery aside, Tensor anyone? Those aluminium tens are supposed to be dope.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 03:54:27 PM by papo »