Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1233116 times)

reverbtank

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5250 on: May 08, 2019, 05:24:39 PM »
Just swapped my Bones bushings out for some 90a Cylinder Indy’s on my 159s.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #5251 on: May 08, 2019, 05:31:18 PM »
I skated the Tensor all terrain mags last year and they were fine. Super light, but they didn’t skate well enough for me to give up aces. Now I’m on 5.8 v-light Ventures and Ace 55s. I use the 5.8s on an 8.5 with 14.25 WB and 52s, 55s on a 8.75 with 14.5 WB with 54s. I can go back and forth on those two setups and have no adjustment issues whatsoever. Pop feels the same, turn is close enough and surfy how I like it, the only noticeable difference is the weight.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

reverbtank

« Reply #5252 on: May 08, 2019, 09:59:02 PM »
Bushing question. Just put medium cylinder Indy aftermarket bushings on my 159 Indy hollows. Use this setup mostly for slappies and cruising around. So I like them a little looser.

Issue I’m having is it feels great how loose it is, but I’m not getting enough resistance in deep turns to prevent major wheel bite. When I tighten it up, I lose the looseness I like but also don’t wheelbite.

Any way to have looseness in the initial turning but heavier resistance in deep turns? That’s what I was hoping the cylinders would do.

I’ve been riding Bones mediums for years now.

talklessSkateMore

• Rep: -40
« Reply #5253 on: May 08, 2019, 11:01:06 PM »
1/4th risers ^
it said to learn how to tie for a reason.
This is all structured as a trap.
Tied by those who know the fundamentals.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #5254 on: May 08, 2019, 11:17:56 PM »
This old pic of Mullen (cropped for trucks sake)... are these Ventures? I thought he skated Indys until Destructo, then Tensor. Believe this is from 1993.

I don’t think he was on venture but he was definitely friends with the TM. Tensor is kinda like a venture. Both turn like shit and are good for manuals. Krux are kinda like in that zone of sucking. I would skate a venture if I had to though. They sit on a block better. Deluxe is good shit

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5255 on: May 09, 2019, 12:09:38 AM »
Bushing question. Just put medium cylinder Indy aftermarket bushings on my 159 Indy hollows. Use this setup mostly for slappies and cruising around. So I like them a little looser.

Issue I’m having is it feels great how loose it is, but I’m not getting enough resistance in deep turns to prevent major wheel bite. When I tighten it up, I lose the looseness I like but also don’t wheelbite.

Any way to have looseness in the initial turning but heavier resistance in deep turns? That’s what I was hoping the cylinders would do.

Could try mixing bushing duro's. A harder top bushing might bind up at the end of the turn and help prevent wheelbite, but at the same time let the softer bottom bushing still have a good amount of turn before that point. Sort of the basis behind Ace bushings (86d bottom, 91d top).

Full disclosure. Not a fan of mixing bushing brands myself (anything to kill truck madness before it starts), but if you have some laying around it might be worth a shot. 

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #5256 on: May 09, 2019, 08:15:46 AM »

use the bones meds on top or 1/8 risers or use a top washer

ballintoohard

« Reply #5257 on: May 09, 2019, 11:12:52 AM »
Anyone else have the top washer digging into the hangers of their Venture 5.8's or Venture high's? I loosened mine up about a half turn from stock and you can see marks where it digs into the hanger. I took the washer off and it's a bit too wobbly now.

Complements4U

• Rep: 397
« Reply #5258 on: May 09, 2019, 12:07:24 PM »
They always do that, the bottom washer contacts the hangar as well when bottoming out or getting wheelbite and it digs in, I've heard that's a specific design goal but not sure if that's true. I've never used the top washers in ventures I always swap it for a bones washer.

Lurk or die

• Rep: -4
« Reply #5259 on: May 09, 2019, 01:44:29 PM »
I just switched out the black bushing on Reynolds hollow indy’s to the aftermarket red soft conical bushings and holy shit is that a hell of a difference. In a good way. I hated the black bushing. Has anyone else had this experience?

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #5260 on: May 09, 2019, 02:13:57 PM »
Anyone else have the top washer digging into the hangers of their Venture 5.8's or Venture high's? I loosened mine up about a half turn from stock and you can see marks where it digs into the hanger. I took the washer off and it's a bit too wobbly now.

It happens to me too but it happened with all my trucks except ace

talklessSkateMore

« Reply #5261 on: May 09, 2019, 06:00:22 PM »
I just switched out the black bushing on Reynolds hollow indy’s to the aftermarket red soft conical bushings and holy shit is that a hell of a difference. In a good way. I hated the black bushing. Has anyone else had this experience?

I'm using stock black indy bushings now. Same as the yellow/orange, maybe a bit more durable. I don't feel the need to replace them.. That being said, I'm trying out the cut in half bushings tech in the front truck on these stock aces. I skate small anyway

reverbtank

« Reply #5262 on: May 09, 2019, 08:37:59 PM »
I swapped my medium orange ones for the medium hard blue ones and they feel much better. Not as loose as I’d like initially for slappies but I’m at least not getting wheel bite so easy.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #5263 on: May 11, 2019, 04:29:54 AM »
chucked blue bones hardcores in 149 thunders, pretty gud

i also just had a crazy probably impractical idea but lets put it into theory. everyone hates axle nuts right, they get fucked up beyond belief, fall off, get threaded and all that shit. now im thinking hollow trucks are a big thing, why not do something like thread the inside of the hollow axle and have a bolt to thread into it with a flange to keep the wheel in place? or am i being dumb as fuck
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 05:23:30 AM by cosmicgypsies »

talklessSkateMore

« Reply #5264 on: May 11, 2019, 07:49:40 AM »
Kickstarter scam that shit bro, I'll draw a mock up in mspaint when I get home!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5265 on: May 11, 2019, 07:56:15 AM »
You'd be fucked if you ever had to rethread it no?  But this would only happen if you cross threaded it, they would take way less abuse.  I'd guess it would be expensive to manufacture. 

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #5266 on: May 11, 2019, 12:41:59 PM »
chucked blue bones hardcores in 149 thunders, pretty gud

i also just had a crazy probably impractical idea but lets put it into theory. everyone hates axle nuts right, they get fucked up beyond belief, fall off, get threaded and all that shit. now im thinking hollow trucks are a big thing, why not do something like thread the inside of the hollow axle and have a bolt to thread into it with a flange to keep the wheel in place? or am i being dumb as fuck

Because Aluminum threads suck.  They would get fucked up fast.  Galling.  You would need to have a bigger diameter steel axle with female threads in it.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5267 on: May 13, 2019, 09:48:16 AM »
Liking most about the Ventures except:

-Feels like I have way less pop/snap.

-Manual tipping point is weird.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #5268 on: May 13, 2019, 10:29:54 AM »
Liking most about the Ventures except:

-Feels like I have way less pop/snap.

-Manual tipping point is weird.

Interesting, I feel like I have noticeably more pop/snap on my ventures compared to Indy tis. I like basically most things about my ventures except for the huge turning radius.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5269 on: May 13, 2019, 12:27:52 PM »
best pop I've ever had was Ace 44's on a Polar.

Running the Ventures on a Magenta which has a super similar shape. Giving them more time

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #5270 on: May 13, 2019, 12:59:20 PM »
Mini logo 8.38 trucks
Bones medium cored bottom bushing, ML hard top bushing. No top washer.
Just tight enough so the nut doesn’t come loose on its own.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #5271 on: May 13, 2019, 10:27:30 PM »
I berated anyone who claimed to skate a board smaller than their truck width but it's true. 8.125 on 8.25 trucks works perfectly fine.  Rob is right, great combo.  For me especially if it's a generator board.  You don't see the nuts if you're looking down, only when you start looking at an angle. 

Evoyeah

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5272 on: May 14, 2019, 04:40:59 AM »
After some help if possible.

My first board was/Is pretty terrible besides the deck which I think is ok (mini logo deck).
The wheels trucks are all bargain brands.

I spotted some indy 139s on offer and got some bones red bearings.. I'm a total newbie in that I can just about moving Ollie and skate some of the smaller skatepark ramps, kick turn and ride fakie etc.
My current board is 8", would you advise just switching the trucks and bearings onto my current board? I also want some better wheels... struggling to decide between bones street or skatepark style wheels?
I like the idea of a bit more stability so had considered a 8.125 board.. what would be the effects of this with slightly smaller trucks? A
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post it

Chaos Acoustic

« Reply #5273 on: May 14, 2019, 05:38:23 AM »
Go ahead and put the new Indy trucks on that Minilogo. If you want a decent cheaper wheel Bones 100s should get you right. If you’re not afraid of spending a little more Spitfire F4 is a good wheel that lasts a long time. 54 mm is a good all around size for your 8inch board. Hope this helps.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #5274 on: May 14, 2019, 07:23:56 AM »

My first board was/Is pretty terrible besides the deck which I think is ok (mini logo deck).

I spotted some indy 139s on offer and got some bones red bearings.. I'm a total newbie in that I can just about moving Ollie and skate some of the smaller skatepark ramps, kick turn and ride fakie etc.
My current board is 8", would you advise just switching the trucks and bearings onto my current board? I also want some better wheels... struggling to decide between bones street or skatepark style wheels?
I like the idea of a bit more stability so had considered a 8.125 board.. what would be the effects of this with slightly smaller trucks? A

You'll be fine, bb.

Edit: I misunderstood. I thought you bought the 139s.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:55:43 AM by SHIREFLIP »

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #5275 on: May 14, 2019, 08:31:43 AM »

Honestly any cheaper brand that you can find in a real skate shop is perfectly legit for a beginner unless you’re riding Walmart or department store parts then they are gonna be shitty but truly any brand you find in a real shop will be fine.
You can’t really go wrong with any bones wheels at your level. Even the minilogo wheels and bearings will do you right.
If there’s any skateboarders you’re a fan of already; I would advise trying to buy product with their name on it if possible, to support skateboarding.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5276 on: May 14, 2019, 09:48:21 AM »
How long do you guys ride a tweak or setup? I'm going through madness right now and need to settle on something and get used to it. Tighter seems to be better for most grinds, actual shit where I leave the ground, but worse for manual'ing and carving around morons on my commute.  But then I get too much wheelbite to roll away from almost anything.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #5277 on: May 14, 2019, 09:54:58 AM »
I berated anyone who claimed to skate a board smaller than their truck width but it's true. 8.125 on 8.25 trucks works perfectly fine.  Rob is right, great combo.  For me especially if it's a generator board.  You don't see the nuts if you're looking down, only when you start looking at an angle.

yea tried 144’s on an 8” for a minute. worked but didn’t at the same time. I wish I was one of those guy that didn’t give a shit and just skated whatever. Lmao
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #5278 on: May 14, 2019, 10:15:31 AM »
Dude all I skated for years were 8.25s with 8.5 trucks. I feel like if your axles/hangers are wider than the deck (but no more 1/4 of inch) your setup turns better. Plus you have more room to grind.

talklessSkateMore

« Reply #5279 on: May 14, 2019, 10:37:40 AM »
How long do you guys ride a tweak or setup? I'm going through madness right now and need to settle on something and get used to it. Tighter seems to be better for most grinds, actual shit where I leave the ground, but worse for manual'ing and carving around morons on my commute.  But then I get too much wheelbite to roll away from almost anything.

Lean back more and don't shift your weight past your front truck. Whenever I trip about truck adjustments I end up going back to flush and taking a day or two off.. Slowly tighten as needed and remember it's a balancing act