Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231046 times)

bbk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5280 on: May 14, 2019, 10:42:59 AM »
Expand Quote
I berated anyone who claimed to skate a board smaller than their truck width but it's true. 8.125 on 8.25 trucks works perfectly fine.  Rob is right, great combo.  For me especially if it's a generator board.  You don't see the nuts if you're looking down, only when you start looking at an angle.
[close]
Dude all I skated for years were 8.25s with 8.5 trucks. I feel like if your axles/hangers are wider than the deck (but no more 1/4 of inch) your setup turns better. Plus you have more room to grind.
This is definitely  the most popular setup for the last 6ish years, since no one that mattered made 8.25 trucks

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #5281 on: May 14, 2019, 12:57:04 PM »
Easy fellas, I'm just saying you don't actually see the nuts with that .125 difference.....I'm still gonna stand by that seeing the nut is a valid enough reason to drive you nuts....

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #5282 on: May 14, 2019, 01:10:40 PM »
I would never have wider trucks than deck. *shivers in terror*

8.0 trucks on 8.125 is good

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #5283 on: May 14, 2019, 02:07:31 PM »
Apparently Venture re-released the 5.8 hollows (terrible colorway tho) and some "custom designed" trucks by andrew wilson. I wonder if they differ at all from the regulars.

I just want the 8.25 axle ventures already
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5284 on: May 14, 2019, 02:09:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Apparently Venture re-released the 5.8 hollows (terrible colorway tho) and some "custom designed" trucks by andrew wilson. I wonder if they differ at all from the regulars.

[close]

Venture just featured the 5.6 on their IG story, I'm sure they're coming out reallllly soon

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #5285 on: May 14, 2019, 04:59:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think they are shipping out already

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5286 on: May 15, 2019, 05:19:51 AM »
Never had done anything with my trucks except one time I had the yellow Bones bushings, medium I believe, on Indy's 149 forged. I hated'em. Got back to the stock bushings and it was ok.
Now riding Ace 44 just as they come and they feel awesome.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #5287 on: May 15, 2019, 06:34:02 AM »

1/8" bigger than the board is perfect, but I would never go 1/4" bigger. I cannot see my axles peeking out with 148s on an 8.125 Krooked deck, it just feels really good.

D

« Reply #5288 on: May 15, 2019, 11:44:39 AM »
Sick of the axel slipping on my Indy hollows. Might pick up a set of Ace today. Worth the change or should I just stick with Indy? Curious about how the stock bushings are on the Ace
I’m very athletic, I enjoy the arts.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5289 on: May 15, 2019, 12:08:19 PM »
Sick of the axel slipping on my Indy hollows. Might pick up a set of Ace today. Worth the change or should I just stick with Indy? Curious about how the stock bushings are on the Ace

Did you choose Indy hollows to cut down a few grams? If so, ACE won't help you there.

Otherwise, they'll treat you right.

The new 'classics' ship with the best bushings out by a mile.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5290 on: May 15, 2019, 12:36:40 PM »
My Ace were only 20g heavier per truck than my hollows, so it's really not much. The difference is less than running conicals vs classics. The heaviest setup I have ever had is a FA embossed AVE deck with tons of paint, conical fulls, and 149 Hollows.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #5291 on: May 15, 2019, 12:55:05 PM »
They’re the best, I switched from indys to ace few months ago and I ain’t gonna look back.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

reverbtank

• Rep: 3
« Reply #5292 on: May 15, 2019, 01:46:17 PM »
I don't have access to Ace trucks locally or I'd have already tried them.

I do a lot of curb skating/slappies and am pretty rough on trucks. I just got some Indy 169s so maybe I'll give Ace a shot after these wear out.

Anyone have any experience with Ace who is pretty rough on trucks?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5293 on: May 15, 2019, 02:56:26 PM »

I do a lot of curb skating/slappies and am pretty rough on trucks. I just got some Indy 169s so maybe I'll give Ace a shot after these wear out.

Not too rough on them myself, but if you dive into the Ace Trucks thread you'll come across some folks who've demo'd their Aces. But also, lots of people who've never had issues at all. They are svelter than Indy's for sure, much less meat on the hanger (though they've been thickened in newer revisions). That fact they're the same weight as Indy's is due to having no weight relief on the underside of the hanger (which Venture, Thunder, and Indy all have) and solid baseplates.

It's one of those trade-offs, do the benefits of Ace - the turn, the bushings, the height - outweigh the possible quality issues? Your call. For me it's worth it, but maybe not for yourself. I've seen enough defective trucks over the years from the big brands that Ace having some QC issues doesn't bother me much. I will say for curbs, carves, and any cramped street stuff, there's no better truck. Ace's with Spitfire Classics is slappy nirvana for me.

Diocletian

« Reply #5294 on: May 15, 2019, 06:51:58 PM »
I can’t even remember the last time I used risers but I put some 1/8” Modus ones under my Ace’s and they fit pretty good. I highly recommend the Modus to anyone that hasn’t tried them yet. They’re not quite as flexible and soft like the Lucky’s, and they’re not super hard plastic like Indy or Dooks. Basically like a 3/4’s hardness, which feels like they’ll outlast all others. Granted, if they’ll fit under whatever trucks you’re using. Ace’s only seem to fit the fixed hole Modus or any of the sliding hole offerings. Indy and Dooks were a no go.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #5295 on: May 15, 2019, 08:44:12 PM »

I mostly skate curbs, pool coping and shit that grinds and my 44s and 55s hold up well. The metal is softer than Indy/Thunder though, so the grind feels different and they wear down faster. But like other's have said the trade off is worth it for the geometry/ quality of the turn and how good they are right out of the box with stock parts.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5296 on: May 15, 2019, 08:44:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

1/8" bigger than the board is perfect, but I would never go 1/4" bigger. I cannot see my axles peeking out with 148s on an 8.125 Krooked deck, it just feels really good.

My point is the trucks despite the measurement appear to be the same or even less than the width of the board...

baustin

« Reply #5297 on: May 16, 2019, 05:34:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

My point is the trucks despite the measurement appear to be the same or even less than the width of the board...

Makes sense. When you have 8.25 trucks on an 8.125 deck you're talking 1/16" of axle overhang on each side of the deck IF everything has been manufactured to exact precision, and that 1/16" probably gets grinded down from landing tricks primo and such. Since wheels don't come all the way to the ends of the axle that means having very slightly wider trucks than your deck mostly just gives you a stable feel. I used to be a strictly trucks equal or less width than the deck person but 148s on 8.125 has changed me.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:36:24 AM by baustin »

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5298 on: May 16, 2019, 03:48:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Makes sense. When you have 8.25 trucks on an 8.125 deck you're talking 1/16" of axle overhang on each side of the deck IF everything has been manufactured to exact precision, and that 1/16" probably gets grinded down from landing tricks primo and such. Since wheels don't come all the way to the ends of the axle that means having very slightly wider trucks than your deck mostly just gives you a stable feel. I used to be a strictly trucks equal or less width than the deck person but 148s on 8.125 has changed me.

J soy and baustin knows!

I think Ben degros said too or someone on this thread about the wheels on a wider truck pushing out more closer to the edge of a deck feels more stable rather than even when you have 8” trucks with an 8” deck but only the axles measure flush but the wheels are a few mm inside so a tiny bit of magic carpet ride
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5299 on: May 17, 2019, 07:21:33 AM »
yeah it could be from landing primo but every 8.25 deck I put on 148's it always felt like I could get away with something narrower, I tried it, and it works.  If your goal is the widest trucks without going over, or the narrowest deck and not going under.....this is the combo.  A tiny bit of magic carpet never killed anyone though and I'll prolly still skate 8.25's a bunch but I'm glad I tried this....

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5300 on: May 17, 2019, 08:11:27 AM »
My madness is trying to rage. Have noticed that watching videos has a disturbing effect on my madness. For example, if I watch Dennis, ishod or Marc, I want to know control. If I watch PJ, Gino or old Girl vids, I want to be always on the grind. If I watch Heath, Gonz, etc. I'd like to be built to grind. First step of realizing you have a problem is acceptance, right guys? Right? This thing on? *tap tap*

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #5301 on: May 17, 2019, 09:43:28 AM »
My madness is trying to rage. Have noticed that watching videos has a disturbing effect on my madness. For example, if I watch Dennis, ishod or Marc, I want to know control. If I watch PJ, Gino or old Girl vids, I want to be always on the grind. If I watch Heath, Gonz, etc. I'd like to be built to grind. First step of realizing you have a problem is acceptance, right guys? Right? This thing on? *tap tap*
Whos your favorite favorite I mean favorite pro skater? For me it’s Guy so I ride Thunders and sleep ok at night.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #5302 on: May 17, 2019, 12:44:21 PM »
yea people talk about “marketing” as if it matters, the riders are what really matters. if you get enough sick riders on your team, you can have all of their combined fans wanting your shit, while also creating a sense of legitimacy for your brand even if it's relatively new. ads are completely meaningless without mags so riders and reviews and instagram clips are the new marketing. in that sense, i think ACE has a really fucking good marketing campaign, after they literally stole indys best geometry, they also stole their best riders.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1173
« Reply #5303 on: May 17, 2019, 01:00:21 PM »
i'd like to see a study on correlation of skateboarding's switch to HD videos and the increase in truck madness.  you never used to be able to really tell what trucks someone was skating, and you could only rely on print ads (which often times featured the skater skating another brand's trucks)
hardly art, hardly starving

sammyscumbag

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5304 on: May 17, 2019, 01:05:04 PM »
Indy 144 Reynolds hollows, stock bushings with the front slightly looser than the left.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5305 on: May 17, 2019, 10:01:36 PM »
i'd like to see a study on correlation of skateboarding's switch to HD videos and the increase in truck madness.  you never used to be able to really tell what trucks someone was skating, and you could only rely on print ads (which often times featured the skater skating another brand's trucks)

Dr purple teeth shows off everyone’s trucks

He films into the trucks
yes

sneakpeekmeek

« Reply #5306 on: May 17, 2019, 11:10:48 PM »

I've been watching folks who skates thunders to see how well they tail/nose slide. Truck madness is real.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #5307 on: May 18, 2019, 04:30:51 AM »

i'd say there's certain points/videos/etc that have had weird impacts on skateboarding. two examples i can primarily think of would definitely be when the whole daewon no bushing thing came about and a lot of people started rocking rattly loose, and when that andrew reynolds "madness" thing also came out i started seeing alot of people tapping their board before tricks and doing other weird shit they didnt used to do.

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5308 on: May 18, 2019, 07:05:28 AM »
My number one brainwashing: when I watch Mouse, I want 7.5 deck, 5.0 venture low, and baggy pants.

baustin

« Reply #5309 on: May 18, 2019, 03:32:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been watching folks who skates thunders to see how well they tail/nose slide. Truck madness is real.

I went through this too. You can nose/tailslide on Thunders. Here are mine: