Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231330 times)

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5370 on: May 31, 2019, 09:30:02 AM »
As trucks get wider lower, wheelbite gets easier, so low trucks make less sense.
Fixed^

Although you might gain leverage with wider trucks, they'll still get less wheelbite, because the rails of the board have more clearance than the center.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1174
« Reply #5371 on: May 31, 2019, 09:39:58 AM »
DLX 8.25 Full SE (hard as fuck to find) with Indys. 

my current fav combo as well
hardly art, hardly starving

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #5372 on: May 31, 2019, 09:47:07 AM »
Expand Quote
As trucks get wider lower, wheelbite gets easier, so low trucks make less sense.
[close]
Fixed^

Although you might gain leverage with wider trucks, they'll still get less wheelbite, because the rails of the board have more clearance than the center.

Generally more wheelbite with wider trucks. There's probably some combo that has less, but based on geometry and that the angle of the truck is more significant than the angle of the concave.   

I have low 8" and 8.38" trucks.  I can run bigger wheels on the 8" trucks on an 8" board without wheelbite than I can on the 8.38" on and 8.3" deck.  I have to run risers on the 8.38" setup.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 09:51:49 AM by backinaction »

Dustwardprez

« Reply #5373 on: May 31, 2019, 09:48:51 AM »
Has anybody ever skated trucks that are significantly narrower than their deck? I'm curious about Venture lows, but I ride an 8.5 and would rather not size down because I have big feet.

I do rn. I ride ace 44 with an 8.5. But it’s a high truck because I like to carve for extra pop.

I still have my old thunder team lows
They are smaller than an indy 139 and I rode an 7.75 on those for a long long time. They fit the kalis that was slightly below an 7.5. I had the hard green bushings in them in an attempt to get rid of wheel bite and a cut top bushing. Likely orange pigs but worn way down. I kept riding that truck with soft wheels from 02-16. 

I have found that ventures (feather lite era) are less likely to wheel bite than other trucks.
The upside to having skinnier trucks is when you land primo it’s likely going to go wheels if you are stomping with weight on your heels. 

Dustwardprez

« Reply #5374 on: May 31, 2019, 09:52:08 AM »
I have Ace, Indy, Venture, and Thunder at home.  Can never figure out which I like best. Thunders have the most stable manual, I like Ace minus locking into certain grinds, Indys are all around hard to complain about and the Venture feel like a more fun/floppy Thunder. I think someone could adapt to all of them depending on what board they like.  So far my best combo has been a Polar 8.5 or Quasi Proto 8.25 with Ace or a DLX 8.25 Full SE (hard as fuck to find) with Indys.  I like Thunders with my FA I have currently, but don't really like that deck quite as much.

Are you Ben?

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #5375 on: May 31, 2019, 12:00:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Fixed^

[close]

Generally more wheelbite with wider trucks. There's probably some combo that has less, but based on geometry and that the angle of the truck is more significant than the angle of the concave.   

This.

I just measured it actually.  On iPhone if you swipe right from the compass you can measure angles.  It isn't perfect but works good enough.  Measure in the middle of the board it is 0'  Measure at the edge for the concave it is 8~10'.  Put it back in the middle and stand on the board, lean the trucks and I was getting like 15'

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #5376 on: May 31, 2019, 12:57:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Fixed^

[close]

I have low 8" and 8.38" trucks.  I can run bigger wheels on the 8" trucks on an 8" board without wheelbite than I can on the 8.38" on and 8.3" deck.  I have to run risers on the 8.38" setup.
You're right if you use a bigger deck for the bigger trucks - I meant using wider trucks on the same size deck would give less wheelbite.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #5377 on: May 31, 2019, 01:04:45 PM »
Here's how I look at trucks:
Thunder works excellent with DLX boards. Thunder is owned by DLX after all, so its ment to be.

Either way. This thing with wheelbase regarding thunder vs indy's, is it really relevant?
Thunders are shorter in height, and you can also alter the leverage with wheel size.

EDIT: In Ben's vid he says the difference in wb is like 6,35mm. Thunder's are around 2-5mm shorter, depending on size and baseplate.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:09:41 PM by Vintagebody »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #5378 on: May 31, 2019, 04:18:12 PM »
I just think ideally the stock wb for DLX boards should be more like 14-14.25 and they are commonly higher...with thunders the wb feels a bit big, but the medium-mellow nose/tail but w/o the extended pocket, the combo is pretty bang on.  Thunders seem to be working for me because of how light they are and how they pop quick.  But I don't skate a ton of stuff where wheel bite is too too bad and I ride them 'medium'. They grind through faster than an Indy and don't turn as well though. 

Heather Chandler

« Reply #5379 on: June 01, 2019, 04:40:05 PM »
Expand Quote

I'm setting this up next (8.5) with loose 169s.  The widest trucks I've had in the past on an 8.5 were some thunder 151. Should be interesting.
[close]
Is this a Niki Lauda tribute setup?

I see what you mean...and it shall be now.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #5380 on: June 01, 2019, 04:51:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm loving the thunder 148's....was considering the ventures but now bought another set of thunders....
[close]

What size board do you pair them with? 8.25 trucks are ....they should be for me: old, can’t make up mind, want to ride big boards, skate bad on big boards. I got the 144s and wasn’t stoked. Ace 44s are sick, but I dunno. Wtf am I talking about. I just need to reconcile that I’m too decrepit to flick anything larger than an 8”.
[close]

I came to that conclusion about myself as well. 😂
[close]

It’s amazing, to me, that I keep trying to ride larger stuff. I do need to ride bigger wheels, and that makes a small board look even dumber. Almost as dumb as a 40+ year old on a skateboard.

I’m not sure about you, but I also don’t get as worn out, as quickly, on smaller boards

it’s hard to say. I’ve tried 8.12 or 8.25. I always go back to 8. been like that for 15+ years. and I’m short, so it’s just always seems to be the perfect size. I won’t lie though, trying to do shit down stairs or a gap is annoying with a board that small. thinking about getting 149’s and like a 8.3 for that stuff.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5381 on: June 01, 2019, 05:56:49 PM »
46....and I'm skating an 8.125 on 148's and it's pretty awesome.  Feels like an 8 but just fits the trucks.  I was pumping around on an 8' ramp that had vert and was being a pussy and remembered 8" was a vert board ten years ago.....dropped in easy. 

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5382 on: June 02, 2019, 04:35:39 AM »
46....and I'm skating an 8.125 on 148's and it's pretty awesome.  Feels like an 8 but just fits the trucks.  I was pumping around on an 8' ramp that had vert and was being a pussy and remembered 8" was a vert board ten years ago.....dropped in easy.

That’s what I’m doing and thinking about keeping it that way but might actually go back to 8 with 147/139

I love how comfortable the 8.12 with 8.25 trucks is but idk I’m still stuck trying to relive my flip tricks consistent days so an 8 would be easier but hmmmmmm

Decisions decisions
yes

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #5383 on: June 02, 2019, 07:56:12 AM »
Someone talk me out of buying thunders. I've had 3 sets of  5.25 venture highs in a row and these kalis Instagram clips are making me think my fliptricks will be better with 147 thunders. Its been 10 years since I had thunders.. I'm also entertaining 5.25 lows, but then I feel like I can't skate transition.

soonbanned

« Reply #5384 on: June 02, 2019, 09:08:30 AM »
I ride caliber hollows. Best trucks I have ever skated hands down.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5385 on: June 02, 2019, 10:22:58 AM »
Someone talk me out of buying thunders. I've had 3 sets of  5.25 venture highs in a row and these kalis Instagram clips are making me think my fliptricks will be better with 147 thunders. Its been 10 years since I had thunders.. I'm also entertaining 5.25 lows, but then I feel like I can't skate transition.

Can't help you. All these old dudes who have skated silver and venture seem to be switching to thunder. Switching from Venture Hi's to thunders might help you with any ghost pop you might be experiencing.

Gonna be switching to thunder for my next deck.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5386 on: June 02, 2019, 03:24:08 PM »
I've been riding Indy 149 on 8.25-8.5 for a while and prefer 8.25. Thinking of going down to 8.06 or 8.125 eventually. Got Thunder 148s, but haven't ridden- should I go with 147's, 148's, 139's, or 144? I like my Indy's for the most part but the balance point on Thunder feels pretty solid. I was thinking 148 or 144 is prob ideal so I can still hit an 8.25 with the right shape on occasion. Also, the Thunder 147 kingpin clearance looks atrocious.

WorkClothscape

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5387 on: June 02, 2019, 11:37:11 PM »
Also, the Thunder 147 kingpin clearance looks atrocious.

The Thunder 148 is the first model that has any kingpin clearance but after a few slappies they look pretty much the same as 147's. You just need to get used to grinding with the kingpin.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5388 on: June 03, 2019, 09:36:21 AM »

Pretty sure Yuto does that padless 540, on Instagram, with 5.25 lo’s.

(But I need bigger wheels, love 5.25 lo’s, cast plate)

Soju soju soju

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5389 on: June 03, 2019, 09:39:13 AM »
I've been riding Indy 149 on 8.25-8.5 for a while and prefer 8.25. Thinking of going down to 8.06 or 8.125 eventually. Got Thunder 148s, but haven't ridden- should I go with 147's, 148's, 139's, or 144? I like my Indy's for the most part but the balance point on Thunder feels pretty solid. I was thinking 148 or 144 is prob ideal so I can still hit an 8.25 with the right shape on occasion. Also, the Thunder 147 kingpin clearance looks atrocious.

I have all of these questions. 148/144 easily works on 8.5. Doesn’t go with the current trends of the day of hotdoggin setups. Interested to see what you choose

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #5390 on: June 03, 2019, 01:02:29 PM »
running some very weird frankenstein bushing setup right now on thunder 149s; after my og bushings had seen better days i got some bones hardcores off a friend but they were unfortunately the soft ones which i couldnt get away with and the back one imploded on itself pretty much. dug out some real old hard bushings from a cheap set of trucks and paired the bottoms of those with the old thunder tops which are blown the fuck out. i expected it to feel horrible but it actually feels pretty fucking good. i cant really compare it to other trucks as ive been on thunders for years but it doesnt feel close to stock thunders. kinda has that wobbly shit going on where there's no real solid centre point as you'd normally expect with thunders and as such it'll wobble either way yet it still manages to feel stable when set up for tricks. also manages to carve pretty deep without wheelbiting, and certain tricks/landings i can get away with no wheelbite which def wouldnt have happened on the hardcores.

not saying cheap shit bushings are the way to go and chances are these will be fucked in less than a month but its always interesting to have a fiddle.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #5391 on: June 03, 2019, 10:15:28 PM »
Someone talk me out of buying thunders.
your wheelbase will be significantly longer, although that might be a good thing depending on your setup

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5392 on: June 03, 2019, 10:39:08 PM »
They grind through quickly, wheelbite, they don't carve as well as Indy or thunders, dumb graphics.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #5393 on: June 04, 2019, 12:16:38 AM »
They grind through quickly, wheelbite, they don't carve as well as Indy or thunders ace, dumb graphics.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

skatefresh

« Reply #5394 on: June 04, 2019, 04:41:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Someone talk me out of buying thunders.
[close]
your wheelbase will be significantly longer, although that might be a good thing depending on your setup

I'm short so I hate long wheelbases. Although the ventures I'm skating have practically the same wheelbase as thunders.

skatefresh

« Reply #5395 on: June 04, 2019, 04:45:13 AM »
They grind through quickly, wheelbite, they don't carve as well as Indy or thunders, dumb graphics.

Honestly venture highs turn pretty nicely. I feel like i get all the benefits of indys with a more stable truck.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5396 on: June 04, 2019, 09:56:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have all of these questions. 148/144 easily works on 8.5. Doesn’t go with the current trends of the day of hotdoggin setups. Interested to see what you choose

I'm sticking with 8.25 and no plans on going above the Anti Hero 8.28 shape.  If anything I might go down to 8.06 or 8.125 Generator shapes.  Right now I have the 148 Ti Lights on a 8.25x31.75x14.25 and the manuals are a bit weird at first, but coming back. Otherwise everything else feels pretty solid. They came super, super loose.  Honestly am only really noticing the baseplate stick.

Overall I want to stick with 8.25 or smaller trucks. I simply don't need the size and weight of a 149/8.5 axle. (have some super new Venture V-Lights if anyone wants them).  Not sure I also want to shell out for Indys and Ventures to test until the Venture hype dies down enough to get a better review.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5397 on: June 04, 2019, 11:04:05 PM »
Expand Quote
They grind through quickly, wheelbite, they don't carve as well as Indy or thunders ace, dumb graphics.
[close]

Yeah sorry meant ventures....thunders push your wheel base out too....

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1189
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5398 on: June 05, 2019, 10:34:27 AM »
Anyone know where I can get the 5.6 ventures online?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #5399 on: June 05, 2019, 11:28:32 AM »
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma