Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232045 times)

fang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5430 on: June 07, 2019, 07:31:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Pretty sure all trucks are made in China so it's not that.  I don't think they are bad trucks at all just not what I'm interested in.
[close]

Thunder's and Venture's with standard cast plates and solid axles are still made in SF, but I believe on account of using washers and nuts from overseas (and I think they have their bushings poured in Mexico) they have to go the "Made in USA of foreign and domestic parts" route.

But yeah, I've had two sets of Indy's come through in the last year (one standard, one forged hollow), both had simply "Made in China" on the hang tag. Never noticed a dip in quality, no issues. Especially considering 100% USA made Stage IX's had baseplates that crumbled, and Stage VIII's axle slip from a slight breeze.

Ha

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5431 on: June 07, 2019, 10:08:09 PM »
One of my Indy 139s is impossible to tighten. I get like 2 cranks from flush.

The other truck I can likely tighten till the bushings explode if I wanted.

I took the fucker apart pit it back together still problematic.

This ever happen to someone else?

this happens to me almost every set of trucks I get when I first set them up, regardless of brand. I have the worst luck with trucks. what I usually do is skate them one way for about a month, then swap the front to the back, and vice versa.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

clintendo

• Rep: 25
« Reply #5432 on: June 08, 2019, 06:47:03 PM »
Recently got the CSX Hollows from Theeve, big improvements from their last gen of trucks, the cast on the hangers is a lot more solid than the Tiax's I had before, which seems to be better for grinding. These come standard with a hollow  axle and kingpin, but I just switched the hangers to my Tiax baseplates as I was lazy to undo the deck bolts, haven't noticed the difference in weight but also went down from 6.5's to 5.85's so that could explain that.

Front truck only has standard top washer and is always tighter than the back for me, back truck only has a bones washer on top (the ones that come with most bones bushings now) so I have the rattle without all the noise that comes with it and still running riptide pivots.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5433 on: June 10, 2019, 11:35:26 AM »
What’s the biggest wheel anyone here has put under a 147, forged?

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5434 on: June 11, 2019, 01:35:14 AM »

52mm, semi loose. They are perfect when broken in at about 51 and less.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5435 on: June 11, 2019, 11:21:11 AM »
Now I am paranoid as fuck about my tailslides since they aren't sliding on Thunders.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #5436 on: June 11, 2019, 12:16:25 PM »
Now I am paranoid as fuck about my tailslides since they aren't sliding on Thunders.
Mine slide.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1175
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5437 on: June 11, 2019, 01:26:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Mine slide.

2:14 they slide

hardly art, hardly starving

Powerlesspillars

« Reply #5438 on: June 11, 2019, 01:36:29 PM »
One of my Indy 139s is impossible to tighten. I get like 2 cranks from flush.

The other truck I can likely tighten till the bushings explode if I wanted.

I took the fucker apart pit it back together still problematic.

This ever happen to someone else?

I had 149 forged hollows that did this to me. Turns out the kingpin was stripped

ballintoohard

« Reply #5439 on: June 11, 2019, 02:25:00 PM »
update: my tailslides are to blame

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5440 on: June 11, 2019, 03:55:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

52mm, semi loose. They are perfect when broken in at about 51 and less.

Thanks.
This is what I feared. Didn’t think I was so fragile, anything over 52 is great to roll, and then everything else is beat.

I have a hard time with all ledge tricks, but thunders and me have yet to hook up a proper slide. Yet. True Lucas (one of the raddest ever), and many others, can make em slide. I can’t. I know it’s me, but I don’t understand the witch craft.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #5441 on: June 11, 2019, 11:55:40 PM »
Thunders arent very forgiving in terms of tail/noseslides. You really have to commit, all the weight on the tail/nose, like u should be doing anyway ofc.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #5442 on: June 12, 2019, 12:49:36 AM »
^Alright, time to get some mini logos guys. They got rid of the emblem on the hanger, and placed a cool 5 star on the baseplate nub (wtf is that part of truck called anyways?). Guaranteed to slide like a dream.

Still waiting for degros to review them. Ya know, to spread the gospel.

WorkClothscape

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5443 on: June 12, 2019, 01:57:36 AM »
^Alright, time to get some mini logos guys. They got rid of the emblem on the hanger, and placed a cool 5 star on the baseplate nub (wtf is that part of truck called anyways?). Guaranteed to slide like a dream.

Doesn't look good on the kingpin clearance department.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5444 on: June 12, 2019, 08:19:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Doesn't look good on the kingpin clearance department.

I love how they still call them 'mid' even thought they are pretty much the lowest trucks in existence.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #5445 on: June 12, 2019, 04:15:34 PM »
Im in a rotten mood so I’m gonna sex pistol whip you in the face with my massive hairy veiny keyboard.

It’s pathetic that people keep complaining about their wheels touching the ledge because of the thunder baseplate. Go faster try harder Get harder wheels. 

The problem is you not the truck. You’re spreading FAKE NEWS

8.25 venture or worse a fucking 6.0? The thought of that is disgraceful to the venture legacy.

Every shop I go to has a surplus of 8” venture lows covered in dust. They barely sell. It’s also the most returned truck.

People buy them set them up roll around for an hr or two take them off debate on whether they’re scratched too much to swap them for thunders at their shop.

Go to your shop and ask for an axle but.

If there are no loose ones they will give you one off a Venture if they like you.

8.25 will be the same results now that skate park culture is taking over street skating again.

Overproduction of unnecessary shit.

I know most of you truck nerds have a set of venture lows sitting in a box at home that are basically brand new.

I haven’t tried the venture high so I can’t speak on that. Feel free to prove me wrong

What’s say you to all the skated ventures in this thread?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5446 on: June 12, 2019, 05:50:11 PM »
Im in a rotten mood so I’m gonna sex pistol whip you in the face with my massive hairy veiny keyboard.

It’s pathetic that people keep complaining about their wheels touching the ledge because of the thunder baseplate. Go faster try harder Get harder wheels. 

8.25 venture or worse a fucking 6.0? The thought of that is disgraceful to the venture legacy.

Every shop I go to has a surplus of 8” venture lows covered in dust. They barely sell. It’s also the most returned truck.

People buy them set them up roll around for an hr or two take them off debate on whether they’re scratched too much to swap them for thunders at their shop.

If there are no loose ones they will give you one off a Venture if they like you.

8.25 will be the same results now that skate park culture is taking over street skating again.

I know most of you truck nerds have a set of venture lows sitting in a box at home that are basically brand new.

I haven’t tried the venture high so I can’t speak on that. Feel free to prove me wrong

SUICIDE WATCH

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #5447 on: June 12, 2019, 06:21:17 PM »
so has anybody noticed that the mounting holes on the venture high and forged high are different? the forged have the holes more back pushing the baseplate foward. the standard have them more foward pushing the baseplate back. weird as fuck.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5448 on: June 12, 2019, 09:16:38 PM »

you do realize that venture made 8.75 trucks before they made 7.75 trucks, right?

sneakpeekmeek

« Reply #5449 on: June 12, 2019, 09:26:49 PM »
so has anybody noticed that the mounting holes on the venture high and forged high are different? the forged have the holes more back pushing the baseplate foward. the standard have them more foward pushing the baseplate back. weird as fuck.

perhaps...perhapsss they shortened the wheelbase just a tad bit to make up for the lower sitting axle so they would turn the same, idk

Dustwardprez

« Reply #5450 on: June 12, 2019, 09:58:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you do realize that venture made 8.75 trucks before they made 7.75 trucks, right?

I’m only fucking around. Except the go faster try harder but.
I don’t care what trucks people ride. Well maybe in the early days based upon other kids not pro teams.

I disliked the venture kids in my town. I had been skating alone mostly. On the Indy 2 that I got handed down to me by the original skate crew in town. It was old gear so I got kooked by the new wave of NWA fan boys who didn’t like punks.

Circle A boards and Venture was out. Those kids sucked and whatever they were riding I was not. Later the venture thing took off in the city I was doing my own thing.
One day many many years later
Dan Zzzzig Zag-of-ski ked. His parents bought him some venture feather lights. He was always getting new shit. I remember all that stuff from the 80s and that old feeling back. I said let me try.

They didn’t turn haha. I felt hella Awake because if a car comes I’m getting run over.

The older kids in the 80s their ventures turned looked like an indy. I admit it’s definitely the best looking truck
any one who loved world and blind-girl etc
Kalis Stevie was riding Indy.

I know who was riding them professionally. I didn’t care. I never had new shit as a kid till
I the T4s. That truck was the shit in my mind. Turning was good the board flipped and spun. Why would I change from thunders.

I remember seeing some interview on YouTube with a venture rider.
PJ said something to the effect of why would you change trucks after your good. People don’t do that.

I ride ace trucks. Most of the lifers I know ride ace trucks. I still flip and spin my board.

I’m in a bad mood and I feel like being the mean ranting truck nerd rn.

If you read all of this I’m shocked and you rule and may also need medical help

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #5451 on: June 13, 2019, 12:10:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

perhaps...perhapsss they shortened the wheelbase just a tad bit to make up for the lower sitting axle so they would turn the same, idk

the longer one is the shorter one. The thinner baseplate makes the wheelbase longer.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5452 on: June 13, 2019, 12:49:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

the longer one is the shorter one. The thinner baseplate makes the wheelbase longer.

Nah, changing the height of 'x' doesn't move the position of 'y,' if you catch my drift. Otherwise sticking risers on your board would affect wheelbase, which they absolutely do not. If the forged versions do have a longer wheelbase it's probably close to the reason the dude above said. I have measured Indy cast and Indy forged on the same deck and the wheelbases measured the exact same (not Ventures, I know).

sneakpeekmeek

« Reply #5453 on: June 13, 2019, 08:03:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

that explains why i felt like the casted baseplate ventures turned better.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #5454 on: June 13, 2019, 08:11:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I don’t care what trucks people ride. Well maybe in the early days based upon other kids not pro teams.

I disliked the venture kids in my town. I had been skating alone mostly. On the Indy 2 that I got handed down to me by the original skate crew in town. It was old gear so I got kooked by the new wave of NWA fan boys who didn’t like punks.

Circle A boards and Venture was out. Those kids sucked and whatever they were riding I was not. Later the venture thing took off in the city I was doing my own thing.
Dan Zzzzig Zag-of-ski ked. His parents bought him some venture feather lights. He was always getting new shit. I remember all that stuff from the 80s and that old feeling back. I said let me try.

They didn’t turn haha. I felt hella Awake because if a car comes I’m getting run over.

The older kids in the 80s their ventures turned looked like an indy. I admit it’s definitely the best looking truck

I know who was riding them professionally. I didn’t care. I never had new shit as a kid till
I the T4s. That truck was the shit in my mind. Turning was good the board flipped and spun. Why would I change from thunders.

PJ said something to the effect of why would you change trucks after your good. People don’t do that.

I ride ace trucks. Most of the lifers I know ride ace trucks. I still flip and spin my board.

Please keep going. The truck thread needs more of this/ you. Also I love the PigPen Crass signature.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5455 on: June 13, 2019, 08:16:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Please keep going. The truck thread needs more of this/ you. Also I love the PigPen Crass signature.

No, no it doesn't. 

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #5456 on: June 13, 2019, 08:18:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

No, no it doesn't.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #5457 on: June 13, 2019, 08:21:39 AM »
Yes it does. Its way more interesting hearing little truck gang anecdotes than how baseplate thickness influences wheelbase.

Venture kids vs Indy kids. Let's fight.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #5458 on: June 13, 2019, 08:24:18 AM »
Yes it does. Its way more interesting hearing little truck gang anecdotes than how baseplate thickness influences wheelbase.

As long as we can all agree that Ace's suck I'm on board.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #5459 on: June 13, 2019, 08:40:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

As long as we can all agree that Ace's suck I'm on board.

i really like my destructos