Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231761 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5610 on: July 03, 2019, 11:35:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wonder if those titanium lock nuts would shred your axels and are they more durable too?

The other reason I can see people skating indys too is.....more truck.  I think it's pretty easy to grind through an ACE or thunder.  Indy has what seems like another quarter inch of metal.
[close]

Titanium alloys generally aren’t stronger than steel so I’d say not very likely.
[close]

Im basing this on those TIH's which I assumed were some alloy, they were crazy hard and as a result grinded weird, and I think they shredded nuts....so I wonder if TI nuts would shred a steel axel.  I bet they'd primo spark!

On thunders and kingpins....I skate team baseplates w. Krux....works good....

Titanium is much harder than aluminum but there’s much more to how something grinds than the hardness of the material. Steel is harder than titanium but grinds a hell of a lot better than even aluminum. It’s just that it’s so damn heavy that making trucks from it isn’t feasible.

Can’t say anything about your shredded nuts (no pun intended  ;D) but I doubt it’s because the titanium was harder than steel.

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #5611 on: July 03, 2019, 11:37:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Just go for it. The highs are great. They break in nicely and turn similar to indys with a lot more stability and amazing clearance. Ventures are slept on. I avoided them for years because everyone always told me ventures sucked. I'm never going back to indys.
[close]

Alright, I'm curious, so whoever wants to chime in on this. For anyone that thinks their Ventures turn as well as Indy's, how are you running them, what sort of bushing setup? I've got a set of 5.8's I pull out every now and then in hopes that they'll 'work' this time but I never get the turn I want and they end up going back into a box for another 8 months. Nowhere near an Indy turn. I've tried stock, soft Indy conical's, Bones, and even Ace and Thunder bottom bushings with no bottom washer, and they still turn sluggish as hell. I'm not convinced in any way they don't turn, a lot of the Magenta guys, Yaje, even Westgate use them and they clearly aren't tic-tacking all over the place.... so I'm stumped.
I run mine flush with the kingpin with the stock 90a bushings. Honestly I have no problem carving, it just takes a bit more effort to initiate because of the geometry. I've skated my friends stage 11s for reference and I don't feel limited at all by the turn.The ftc collab ones with the green bushings I had most recently seemed to break in quicker and the bushings felt softer than the stock purple ones in the regular raws. I've toyed with bones mediums and it worked fine also.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5612 on: July 04, 2019, 12:18:29 AM »
I was super happy with my Indy's for maaaany years but the Ace bug bite me as I wanted to try them. Got 44 and they were great but the fact of not being 8.5 messed up with me big time. A friend needed trucks so I sold them to him and got, idk why, Thunders which I simply can't skate.
Now I'm waiting to finish at work so I can get some Indy's.
Fucking truck madness.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5613 on: July 04, 2019, 04:35:22 AM »
Just found out that Ermico (Venture/ Thunder) moved to Mexico

and

Indys are now all China manufactured...

End of an era...

I can't find anything on Ermico moving to mexico.  where did you get that info?

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #5614 on: July 04, 2019, 05:05:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What are the best replacement bushings for Thunder Highs? Just got a new set of 149's but the stock bushings are a little squishy for my taste. I noticed they sell Thunder bushings in tubes and in rebuild kits. Is one version better than the other? I used to use Bones hards with Indy's but I don't think those are going to fit the Thunders right.
[close]

Oddly enough I’m in literally the exact same boat. Got new 149 thunders to try something different. Skated them yesterday and the bushings seemed so soft. I’m coming off Indy’s with bones. I’m also 220 so everything but hards seem soft.

Ive looked on here about bushings and bones hardcores but I never found a definitive answer if they work in thunders. Secondly if they fit in thunders by forcing them  do they change the geo ? I thought I read that.
[close]
The bottom bushing in a thunder bushing are a bit taller than bones. Plus when you take into account removing the washer as well as the taller bushing, the hangar sits differently. The angle it enters the pivot cup is stressful for it, it causes stress, creaking, or broken kingpins and bushings. To counteract this, always check the stock bushings and washer height, then create a combo that maintains that. So you can use the bones bushings with the black flat washer it comes with as the bottom combo. It matters less for the top bushings. Bones bushings with stock metal washers don't work very good they don't allow the bushings to work right, so in a truck like thunder where you need the bottom washer for height just use a flat one and it's all good. The thunder aftermarket ones have always been the best for me in thunders though.
Best are thunder 92a bushings the light blue one...I tried almost every bushings and thunder bushings worked the best, Indy aftermarket also worked good.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #5615 on: July 04, 2019, 09:45:31 AM »
Expand Quote

and

End of an era...
[close]

Long time shop owner in the know. If it hasn't happened already its happening. Even Spitfire is Made in Mex now. SF is just no longer feasible for anyone but a few elite tech companies. Sad.

Creed Bratton

• Rep: -32
« Reply #5616 on: July 04, 2019, 10:14:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

and

End of an era...
[close]

Long time shop owner in the know. If it hasn't happened already its happening. Even Spitfire is Made in Mex now. SF is just no longer feasible for anyone but a few elite tech companies. Sad.
[close]

Just got 2 new sets of Thunder 149 teams and the quality seems to have improved. Minimal metal leakage on the exposed part of the axles. I’ve had to exchange a couple sets of new thunders in the past year because metal leaked onto the axle and the washer wouldn’t sit flush. The base plates have a nicer smooth finish to them. They also changed the baseplate logo, they’re all the same now instead of having a bunch of variations.
I’m 30

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #5617 on: July 04, 2019, 10:30:49 AM »
I want to get back on my Indy’s but fuck I want to get my moneys worth out of these thunders.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5618 on: July 04, 2019, 10:42:17 AM »
can anyone actually confirm if the wheelbase is longer on forged plates/v-lights vs cast on Ventures?

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #5619 on: July 04, 2019, 12:20:14 PM »
can anyone actually confirm if the wheelbase is longer on forged plates/v-lights vs cast on Ventures?
Here we fucking go...

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #5620 on: July 04, 2019, 01:49:28 PM »

It’s about a mm or two difference.  Honestly I believe it makes up for the height difference between the two and keeps the point that the tail or nose hits the same so the pop feels the same.

We are just getting geeky here now though.....

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #5621 on: July 04, 2019, 02:35:44 PM »
139's or 144's on an 8 - 8.1 set-up?
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #5622 on: July 04, 2019, 02:44:22 PM »

I posted pictures a few pages back where you can see the difference.

Diocletian

« Reply #5623 on: July 04, 2019, 04:54:31 PM »
Would anyone here with Theeve/Ace experience say that Theeve’s possess the closest turn to Ace but have less wheelbite due to the oval yoke?

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #5624 on: July 04, 2019, 04:57:11 PM »

Definitely 144

I tried both on my 8” deck and the 144 just feel way better, and my 139 are the hollow lights both cast and forged 139’s compared on the 8” deck and no where as good as 144

Loving my 144 on my lurkville 8.1 currently
yes

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #5625 on: July 04, 2019, 06:08:01 PM »
Would anyone here with Theeve/Ace experience say that Theeve’s possess the closest turn to Ace but have less wheelbite due to the oval yoke?

Haven’t skated aces but the oval yoke definitely helps with wheelbite. I love Thunders but usually after a few months of skating them I’ll have a few bad wheelbite days and switch back to the theeves and it’s a major difference between the two in terms of wheelbite specifically. I’ve even gotten away with some offset landings off of stairs/gaps due to the oval yoke kind of powering through the impact and recentering whereas I’d easily get pitched if I were to land the same way on some thunders

Edit: prime example

« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 06:38:23 PM by DaSk8D00D »

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #5626 on: July 04, 2019, 06:53:11 PM »
I stand by the 139s

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #5627 on: July 05, 2019, 05:27:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I stand by the 139s

I’ve run both and they’re both completely fine. It comes down to what you want out of your skateboard. Do you wanna be able to flip it around a little easier or do you want it to be more stable/grounded feeling and easier to lock into grinds? You can do any type of skating with either setup but those are their strengths.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5628 on: July 05, 2019, 06:53:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I stand by the 139s
[close]

I’ve run both and they’re both completely fine. It comes down to what you want out of your skateboard. Do you wanna be able to flip it around a little easier or do you want it to be more stable/grounded feeling and easier to lock into grinds? You can do any type of skating with either setup but those are their strengths.
Also is good to bare in mind the fact if you'll size up eventually. In that case 144 is a better option imo
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5629 on: July 05, 2019, 06:59:53 AM »
I ride 8,25 trucks on 8-8.1, to me it makes sense to have the wheels flush insead of the axle

ballintoohard

« Reply #5630 on: July 05, 2019, 08:12:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I stand by the 139s

139+3 washers on the inside is almost as wide as a 144 too.  I think Rob Welsh told me that was his combo before 144's came out since he didn't wanna go up to 149 on an 8.

Diocletian

« Reply #5631 on: July 05, 2019, 08:21:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haven’t skated aces but the oval yoke definitely helps with wheelbite. I love Thunders but usually after a few months of skating them I’ll have a few bad wheelbite days and switch back to the theeves and it’s a major difference between the two in terms of wheelbite specifically. I’ve even gotten away with some offset landings off of stairs/gaps due to the oval yoke kind of powering through the impact and recentering whereas I’d easily get pitched if I were to land the same way on some thunders

Thanks for the info! I think I may try some Theeve’s finally. I hope they do well in transition and bowls like Ace.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5632 on: July 05, 2019, 11:17:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I stand by the 139s
[close]

139+3 washers on the inside is almost as wide as a 144 too.  I think Rob Welsh told me that was his combo before 144's came out since he didn't wanna go up to 149 on an 8.

Narrower trucks feel ‘quicker’, for me. 139s got some snap to em, turn faster.

I am very interested in weight vs width, washers, wheel size and wheel along the axle placement. Wider wheels should change the turning radius? Same with wider trucks? Board width to deck width stability ratios?

Wide feels great, and with some adjustment kickflips will start to feel great. I start to lose the 360 flips and rotations tho. Which is a bummer because a wide board can feel so nice to ride distances on, smash over cracks and whatnot.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #5633 on: July 05, 2019, 02:25:44 PM »
if you skate 8's more: 139, if you skate 8.125 more: 144's...

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5634 on: July 05, 2019, 06:18:56 PM »
Unsolicited opinion: Deluxe supercush bushings are better than bones bushings.

Currently using supercush 97a bushings in a set of venture 5.2 lows and they're turny, stable, and they snap back to center fairly well. From my experience, bones bushings crack at the plastic only after a couple of sessions. Therefore, i feel like these supercushs make your setup more reliable.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5635 on: July 05, 2019, 06:44:04 PM »

Yes.

Theeve prototypes ran on ACE baseplates, that tells you where the geometry wanted to go from the start.

Theeve are a less turney, more stable and lighter (TI variants) than ACE
Theeve are more stable than Indy when loose and more responsive
Theeve feel stable like thunders and have a similar level of responsiveness (responsivness for an Indy/Ace like truck feel if that makes sense)

Theeve have the least wheelbite of any truck I've ridden and I ride loose.

They're great, people just hate on them because of the logo, name or whatever the fuck (not indy/thunder or a forum fav).

My only issue with them is that in order to get them loose enough for my taste I have to run bones softs and have them super wobbly loose (shaking the board hanger wiggling loose) even tho when riding it doesn't feel that loose; they settle in when you have your weight on them.

That said, my two favs right now are Forged Indy running ACE bushings and Mini logos (running ACE bushings).

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #5636 on: July 05, 2019, 10:09:10 PM »
Never skating thunder lows again. Ollie’s over a cone and strait clipped it and fell into the touch concrete. Fuck low trucks. Never again.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5637 on: July 05, 2019, 10:32:06 PM »
Never skating thunder lows again. Ollie’s over a cone and strait clipped it and fell into the touch concrete. Fuck low trucks. Never again.

User error.  :D

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #5638 on: July 06, 2019, 05:14:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I stand by the 139s
[close]

I am fascinated by this Welsh information. Tell me more.

P.s. not sarcasm

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #5639 on: July 06, 2019, 07:37:16 AM »
Unsolicited opinion: Deluxe supercush bushings are better than bones bushings.

Currently using supercush 97a bushings in a set of venture 5.2 lows and they're turny, stable, and they snap back to center fairly well. From my experience, bones bushings crack at the plastic only after a couple of sessions. Therefore, i feel like these supercushs make your setup more reliable.

I guess it's just a bushing but I dunno why DLX doesn't market these more or even just come up with a hardware accessory brand....