Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231679 times)

SirPizzaSlayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -72
  • Pizza Griptape
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5670 on: July 07, 2019, 02:28:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone know if thunder bushings can go in Indy’s? I also want to know why the thunder hollow Forged are so low. I’ve clipped so many cones and fallen because of how low they are and they feel super fucking wonky. I put a 1/8 riser but I don’t know if that’s helped at all.
[close]

Thunder bottom bushings are taller than indy bushings. Indys do sell conical bushings that are similar to thunder bushings.

I'm not a fan of forged baseplates either, it's kinda strange how a difference 1mm makes. Thunder team hollows might be your best bet if you like hollow trucks.
hate how low they are, perhaps next time cuz I need a brake from thunders.

plasticsurgerydisasters

• Rep: -2
« Reply #5671 on: July 07, 2019, 03:10:14 PM »
Expand Quote
what are the chances that venture would ever make a truck with an 8.75 axle? all this venture talk has make me want to try them but I usually run 159 indy’s.
[close]

It's coming. Was in some new catalog already. Can't remember when though but it has been mentioned here somewhere.
hell yeah, thank you.

Diocletian

« Reply #5672 on: July 08, 2019, 05:44:54 AM »
Does anyone ever switch their back/front trucks up after awhile to get a full u-shape all the way down to that axle or would you consider that a major violation and cheating? I always get deep backside grooves but never as much frontside because I suck at frontside grinds on coping.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5673 on: July 08, 2019, 09:43:15 AM »
Does anyone ever switch their back/front trucks up after awhile to get a full u-shape all the way down to that axle or would you consider that a major violation and cheating? I always get deep backside grooves but never as much frontside because I suck at frontside grinds on coping.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5674 on: July 08, 2019, 09:51:07 AM »

I think it's a sign that you should try front truck grinds more. But if it extends the usage of your trucks, fuck it and do you

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5675 on: July 08, 2019, 12:16:22 PM »
If Ace low bushings fit Indys, I assume they will fit Ventures as well.  Going to pick some up when I get a chance because it could be amazing

ACE Lo Tops fit great, they are lower than stock and after market Indy tops. And you don't have to crank shit down.

ACE lo bottoms are lower than stock AND aftermarket indy | Height = Stock Indy > After market Indy > Ace low bottoms

ACE regs bottoms are the same height as stock Indys (and taller than Indy aftermarkets; not sure why the aftermarket bottoms are lower than stock)

I'm running regs ACE bottoms and lo ACE tops in my TI Indys. Feels great and I'll not run anything else in them.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #5676 on: July 08, 2019, 12:42:24 PM »
i got stuck in sf with no trucks so i just bought indy 149s and am running stock bushings really loose for the first time in a decade, when i get back home i want to blow these bushings out, buy several sets of like, doh dohs or something, and forged baseplates
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #5677 on: July 08, 2019, 12:48:32 PM »
i got stuck in sf with no trucks so i just bought indy 149s and am running stock bushings really loose for the first time in a decade, when i get back home i want to blow these bushings out, buy several sets of like, doh dohs or something, and forged baseplates
where do you get doh doh’s

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5678 on: July 08, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »
Expand Quote
If Ace low bushings fit Indys, I assume they will fit Ventures as well.  Going to pick some up when I get a chance because it could be amazing
[close]

ACE Lo Tops fit great, they are lower than stock and after market Indy tops. And you don't have to crank shit down.

ACE lo bottoms are lower than stock AND aftermarket indy | Height = Stock Indy > After market Indy > Ace low bottoms

ACE regs bottoms are the same height as stock Indys (and taller than Indy aftermarkets; not sure why the aftermarket bottoms are lower than stock)

I'm running regs ACE bottoms and lo ACE tops in my TI Indys. Feels great and I'll not run anything else in them.

This seems to be the combo that would fit most truck brands best. The Ace bottom bushing contains about 85% of the magic, so if you don't want to have to buy two sets of bushings go with the Ace regular and just use any top that fits and you'll still get a similar feel.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #5679 on: July 08, 2019, 04:53:05 PM »
if you skate 8's more: 139, if you skate 8.125 more: 144's...

turns out i had a pair of standard indy 144's sitting in a shoebox so I set them up on an 8.125. while grinding and cruising felt great.. the setup felt a little wide for me. so now it's a toss-up between 139 indy, ace 33's or just get some new theeves. i was considering thunder 147 but it looks like they push the wheelbase out a little more than i'd feel comfortable. thanks everyone for the suggestions.

does anyone happen to know the wb difference between ace and theeve? is it relatively the same?
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5680 on: July 08, 2019, 07:23:06 PM »
What kind of pivot cups work best with thunders?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5681 on: July 08, 2019, 07:25:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

damn.  might give it a shot in my ventures but I'll probably try the supercush first

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #5682 on: July 09, 2019, 11:15:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
where do you get doh doh’s

im gonna call a bunch of shops in ny or just hit skateparkoftampa.com
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Heather Chandler

« Reply #5683 on: July 09, 2019, 01:52:04 PM »
Sounds like Thunder is coming out with a 169 equivalent soon.  Per a June 25th post/comment on Thunder's IG. 

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #5684 on: July 09, 2019, 07:31:42 PM »
Adding to that, i saw a peek at venture 6.1s

Edit: ...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:56:53 PM by Paco Supreme »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5685 on: July 09, 2019, 09:48:00 PM »
Go on.....both of you....

Reese

« Reply #5686 on: July 10, 2019, 05:52:33 AM »
That's hot

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #5687 on: July 10, 2019, 06:13:01 AM »
Damn now Indy isn’t the only ones to offer variety  :)

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5688 on: July 10, 2019, 06:51:42 AM »
6.1? So that means an axle of how many inches?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #5689 on: July 10, 2019, 06:56:54 AM »

Somewhere around 8.75-9
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5690 on: July 10, 2019, 08:16:38 AM »
My madness is at full effect right now, the shop I work at just got a massive re-stock of Thunders and for the first time ever I'm a little tempted. I've had one pair of 148's in the past but never really ended up liking them, though to be fair at that time I didn't even know wheelbase was a thing (I wish it stayed that way). I've been Indy my whole life and only recently moved to Ace, which I have no problems with really. I skate a lot of tranny - obviously Thunders are known for the opposite, but does anyone that skates mostly transition have any experience with them? 149 specifically. Not carvy enough maybe? Idk.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5691 on: July 10, 2019, 08:34:56 AM »
When I skate ramps a bunch I'm good with riding thunders tight, because I don't need to carve... Longer wheelbase is desired for transition.  Maybe a happy medium is thunder highs where the wheelbase is still a bit longer but you have some height to make the carve a bit better....

Carving...ACE is the best....but over all....for transition.....indys....

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5692 on: July 10, 2019, 08:52:24 AM »
When I skate ramps a bunch I'm good with riding thunders tight, because I don't need to carve... Longer wheelbase is desired for transition.  Maybe a happy medium is thunder highs where the wheelbase is still a bit longer but you have some height to make the carve a bit better....

Carving...ACE is the best....but over all....for transition.....indys....

Yeah I ride my trucks quite loose with 56's, but I'd run them with 1/8" risers. I don't know what it is but suddenly they're super appealing, been trying to get more tech lately I suppose. While ACE and a 14.1 wheelbase is fun and all, I'm starting to want a little more stability. I mean worst case I end up hating them and put them in the cupboard haha.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 08:55:59 AM by texasplant »

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5693 on: July 10, 2019, 09:06:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Somewhere around 8.75-9
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5694 on: July 10, 2019, 09:16:29 AM »
Good for people who likes Venture, I hated mine. They're just not for me, same thing with Ace which I loved but I sucked even more than usual while riding them. Now back to good ol Indy's, hollow forged, and I got my crap bsc so I'm pretty happy.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #5695 on: July 10, 2019, 10:36:52 AM »
My madness is at full effect right now, the shop I work at just got a massive re-stock of Thunders and for the first time ever I'm a little tempted. I've had one pair of 148's in the past but never really ended up liking them, though to be fair at that time I didn't even know wheelbase was a thing (I wish it stayed that way). I've been Indy my whole life and only recently moved to Ace, which I have no problems with really. I skate a lot of tranny - obviously Thunders are known for the opposite, but does anyone that skates mostly transition have any experience with them? 149 specifically. Not carvy enough maybe? Idk.

I don't get why people think Thunders are no good for tranny. With the right bushing and riser combo they are great. I really like 151s.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Pizza Griptape
« Reply #5696 on: July 10, 2019, 10:40:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Somewhere around 8.75-9
[close]

holy hell thats a big truck.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5697 on: July 10, 2019, 10:59:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Somewhere around 8.75-9
[close]

maybe 144p can give us the low down on a release date.  DLX told me fall but with them appearing in the wild, hopefully it's sooner

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5698 on: July 10, 2019, 11:03:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Somewhere around 8.75-9
[close]

[close]
holy hell thats a big truck.

Same size as the thunder 151, still not an Indy 215

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #5699 on: July 10, 2019, 11:12:13 AM »
anyone know the wheelbase difference between ace and theeve?
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.