Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1228637 times)

WideFeet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5730 on: July 14, 2019, 06:25:44 AM »
I’ve been skating Indy’s for the past 13 years and want to see what else is out there.

I really care about is wheelbase. Until I read this thread, I never knew some truck fuck with your wheelbase.

Can anyone give me the run down as to what trucks do what to your wheelbase? Which trucks make your wheelbase shorter? Which ones make your wheelbase longer?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #5731 on: July 14, 2019, 07:05:07 AM »
I’ve been skating Indy’s for the past 13 years and want to see what else is out there.

I really care about is wheelbase. Until I read this thread, I never knew some truck fuck with your wheelbase.

Can anyone give me the run down as to what trucks do what to your wheelbase? Which trucks make your wheelbase shorter? Which ones make your wheelbase longer?

Thunders and Ventures extend your wheelbase compared to Indys, by about a quarter of an inch on the same deck. Aces shrink your wheelbase relative to Indys, but just a very tiny bit. All other trucks suck.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5732 on: July 14, 2019, 07:08:15 AM »

From my understanding, Venture will stretch your wheelbase the most, then Thunder, then Indy, the Ace. Though I'm not quite sure about Theeve/Krux/Mini Logo if anyone wants to fill in the blanks. I'm especially curious about Theeve compared to Ace.

edit: beaten to it haha
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 07:09:56 AM by texasplant »

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5733 on: July 14, 2019, 07:12:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

From my understanding, Venture will stretch your wheelbase the most, then Thunder, then Indy, the Ace. Though I'm not quite sure about Theeve/Krux/Mini Logo if anyone wants to fill in the blanks. I'm especially curious about Theeve compared to Ace.

Everyone bookmark this

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #5734 on: July 14, 2019, 07:28:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Everyone bookmark this

What about the Venture 5.2 low!?

BMCsteve

« Reply #5735 on: July 14, 2019, 07:40:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Everyone bookmark this

[close]
What about the Venture 5.2 low!?

Maybe look right there in the middle where it says "Venture 5.2 low" ?

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5736 on: July 14, 2019, 07:52:47 AM »

Everyone bookmark this

I'm going to assume the smaller sizes of Theeve's would have the same axle placement then? Thanks - bookmarked.

Unrelated - when was the last time Thunder changed their geometry? Thinking about swapping my 149 hangars out with new 148's a mate has sitting around, they would probably be two or three years old. Going into a team baseplate, I'm assuming all the hangers would be the same between the teams and lights though right?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 07:58:49 AM by texasplant »

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5737 on: July 14, 2019, 06:10:53 PM »
Been meaning to post these pics for a while. So, here's the big four 8.5" trucks and their wheelbase measurements relative to the deck. Deck has a standard 14.25" wheelbase. From shortest to longest.

Ace. Deck wheelbase +2.75"
AC by J J, on Flickr

Indy. Deck wheelbase +3"
IN by J J, on Flickr

Thunder. Deck wheelbase +3.1875"
TH by J J, on Flickr

Venture.* Deck wheelbase +3.5"
VEN by J J, on Flickr

*These are the lights with forged plates, they extend the wheelbase farther than the cast.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5738 on: July 14, 2019, 07:08:11 PM »
That's crazy.....it makes some sense in that the angle is less vertical and more mellow but you throw ventures on a 14 3/8's wheelbase it'll feel huge.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5739 on: July 14, 2019, 07:57:32 PM »
That's crazy.....it makes some sense in that the angle is less vertical and more mellow but you throw ventures on a 14 3/8's wheelbase it'll feel huge.

No doubt. It leaves me wondering about their new 6.1 trucks coming out. Ventures turn slow. Wider trucks by their nature have a slower and wider turning radius. I'd imagine if they keep the same wheelbase/angle geometry and widen the axle/hangers they're going to feel like a car without power steering. If they're gearing these towards wide boards and bowl riders, or generally setups where carving is important, it might be a weird experiment.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5740 on: July 14, 2019, 08:01:37 PM »
Most DLX decks have long wheelbases as it is.

I compared my 5.6 cast to my forged and my Thunder 149 ti lites. The forged are longer by .25" and the 5.6 are maybe a hair shorter than the Thunders.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #5741 on: July 14, 2019, 09:11:27 PM »

ha i noticed that when i was cruising around earlier today on a newly set up set of ventures. i retired a set of indys. i had trouble doing chinese ollies and going into manuals required more effort. they turned nicely tho. the new board has same wheelbase than the old one with the indys.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #5742 on: July 14, 2019, 11:13:30 PM »
I assume the pros skate the Hi's a lot too but just skate them super loose so you still get a bit of responsiveness. 

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #5743 on: July 15, 2019, 12:22:28 AM »
Thanks palelight for this!

Anybody tried using a Venture DLX Cast and a Hollow/Titanium hanger or does it fuck up the geometry?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5744 on: July 15, 2019, 01:16:08 AM »

Anybody tried using a Venture DLX Cast and a Hollow/Titanium hanger or does it fuck up the geometry?

No problem. If you go back to page 184 of this thread Fifty8mm posted a bunch of comparison shots of the cast vs. forged Ventures. There's some definite geometry differences between the two. Don't know if it would work but he'd be the guy to ask.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #5745 on: July 15, 2019, 02:26:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No problem. If you go back to page 184 of this thread Fifty8mm posted a bunch of comparison shots of the cast vs. forged Ventures. There's some definite geometry differences between the two. Don't know if it would work but he'd be the guy to ask.

Thanks, i'll give it a try soon and report back.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #5746 on: July 15, 2019, 06:30:13 AM »
I currently have the 5.8 titanium axle on cast baseplates.  Seems to skate the same as normal 5.8s to me except lighter.  There isn’t a difference in geometry between titanium and regular hangers

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5747 on: July 15, 2019, 06:43:57 AM »
I’m sure it has been posted: the difference in weight between the cast and forged plates? Probably differs from brand to brand.... A poster (hellman) was posting setups with cast plates and Indy ti hangers (I want to try this 159s, the only Indy I really, really like) and also with the ventures.
Experimenting fun

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 130
« Reply #5748 on: July 15, 2019, 07:14:03 AM »
no difference in Geo, just the extended wheelbase. the only change i see is the holes on the baseplate being drilled in different positions. odd but not bad.

I switch them out all the time and the feel good. just the tad difference in the wb. I prefer the forged though.

BMCsteve

« Reply #5749 on: July 15, 2019, 08:04:12 AM »
Can someone explain to me how two hangers can be exactly the same and fit on baseplates with different geometry?  Seems incredibly odd that Venture would do this.  You would think someone would have to be off with the pivot/kingpin angle

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5750 on: July 15, 2019, 08:19:42 AM »
Can someone explain to me how two hangers can be exactly the same and fit on baseplates with different geometry?  Seems incredibly odd that Venture would do this.  You would think someone would have to be off with the pivot/kingpin angle

From what I understood, the mounting holes are in different positions on the cast and forged Venture baseplates. So the geometry is the same even though the wheelbase isn’t.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #5751 on: July 15, 2019, 08:30:35 AM »
everyone is always talking about how anything/everything messes up the geometry... but does it really?  has anyone actually mapped out the "geometry" of each truck?  has anyone confirmed the stock/standard geometry of a truck is actually the "best" geometry? 

seems to me "geometry" is quickly becoming the "literally" or the "a parody of itself" of the truck setups thread vernacular

hardly art, hardly starving

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #5752 on: July 15, 2019, 08:43:37 AM »
everyone is always talking about how anything/everything messes up the geometry... but does it really?  has anyone actually mapped out the "geometry" of each truck?  has anyone confirmed the stock/standard geometry of a truck is actually the "best" geometry? 
There is no such thing as "best" when it comes to geometry, because the criteria is not objective, there is only "better for".

Certain geometries cause less wheel bite, turn quicker, are better for stability, etc... so one must find the geo that is "better for" what they are needing/lacking. Sometimes what people lack is mental, but sometimes their gear really is jacked up too (I saw a kid with two different model Tensors, a hi and a lo, with two different widths and random bushings that didn't fit his trucks - but he was better than half the people at the park. 99% of skateboarding is mental, but then again, this is the GEAR subsection, we aren't here to talk about the mental part).

Fifty8mm

« Reply #5753 on: July 15, 2019, 09:56:59 AM »

no I never said that in pics I posted. the geo is the same just the mounting holes are in a different place. Im sure it changes something turning or pop.

The kingpin angle is definately the same , need to check the pivot yoke but it looks spot on both

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5754 on: July 15, 2019, 10:42:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
There is no such thing as "best" when it comes to geometry, because the criteria is not objective, there is only "better for".

what I mean is, has anyone actually calculated/drawn the stock/standard geometry for any truck, and then actually determined through geometry whether a change in the truck (bushing, pivot cup, baseplate) actually affects the geometry in a negative (or positive) way?  are we to assume the designers of skateboard trucks are actually doing these types of calculations?   

if someone actually knew something about geometry, would they be able to explain how 1 mm lower top bushing actually changes the geometry in any appreciable way?

BMCsteve

« Reply #5755 on: July 15, 2019, 11:54:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

no I never said that in pics I posted. the geo is the same just the mounting holes are in a different place. Im sure it changes something turning or pop.

The kingpin angle is definately the same , need to check the pivot yoke but it looks spot on both

That makes sense.  I never actually thought of where the holes are drilled.  good info

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5756 on: July 15, 2019, 12:04:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That makes sense.  I never actually thought of where the holes are drilled.  good info

statements like those above.  how did you calculate the geometry and confirm it is the same?  why is he "sure" a change in the position mounting holes changes the turning or "pop" of the truck? 

Fifty8mm

« Reply #5757 on: July 15, 2019, 12:08:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

statements like those above.  how did you calculate the geometry and confirm it is the same?  why is he "sure" a change in the position mounting holes changes the turning or "pop" of the truck?

pretty simple. it changes the wheelbase. if the wheelbase changes the pop and turn change even if its a miniscule amount.

BMCsteve

« Reply #5758 on: July 15, 2019, 12:12:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

pretty simple. it changes the wheelbase. if the wheelbase changes the pop and turn change even if its a miniscule amount.

A longer wheelbase makes a larger arc when turning, shorter wheelbase makes a smaller arc (quick vs stable turning).

For pop the wheelbase has to do with leverage.

the axle height, angle of the kingpin and pivot determine the geometry of the truck

BMCsteve

« Reply #5759 on: July 15, 2019, 12:14:24 PM »
This is another forum that I frequent.  These nerds know way more than we do

http://www.middle-age-shred.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=34580