Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232048 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5760 on: July 15, 2019, 01:56:39 PM »
This is another forum that I frequent.  These nerds know way more than we do

http://www.middle-age-shred.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=34580

ballintoohard

« Reply #5761 on: July 15, 2019, 05:03:26 PM »
Have 5.6 Ventures on an 8.06 (thought it was 8.125) right now. So far they "tip" a lot and feel loose in the first half of the turn, but don't actually tun that much. The net result is I can land a lot sloppier.

Not really sure I am liking them yet vs. Thunders. They seem to frontside feeble better.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5762 on: July 15, 2019, 05:10:47 PM »
Expand Quote
If Ace low bushings fit Indys, I assume they will fit Ventures as well.  Going to pick some up when I get a chance because it could be amazing
[close]

ACE Lo Tops fit great, they are lower than stock and after market Indy tops. And you don't have to crank shit down.

ACE lo bottoms are lower than stock AND aftermarket indy | Height = Stock Indy > After market Indy > Ace low bottoms

ACE regs bottoms are the same height as stock Indys (and taller than Indy aftermarkets; not sure why the aftermarket bottoms are lower than stock)

I'm running regs ACE bottoms and lo ACE tops in my TI Indys. Feels great and I'll not run anything else in them.

So after a bowl session on the ventures today I popped out the stock bushings.

Bottoms are ace/Indy stock height.
Tops are ace low top/reg Indy height.
EDIT: With washers the stock ventures are taller than fresh bones mediums (using the flat bones top washer on the bottom evens them up).

Gave'em the old bite test. Bottoms are HARD, tops medium/soft.

Will probably swap them to either the ace hi/low combo or bones meds. Anyone have exp running bones in Ventures? I always wonder how much thought goes into geometry with barrel bottoms vs conical when it comes to wheel bite and what comes stock.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 09:25:14 PM by Xen »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5763 on: July 15, 2019, 06:45:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
If Ace low bushings fit Indys, I assume they will fit Ventures as well.  Going to pick some up when I get a chance because it could be amazing
[close]

ACE Lo Tops fit great, they are lower than stock and after market Indy tops. And you don't have to crank shit down.

ACE lo bottoms are lower than stock AND aftermarket indy | Height = Stock Indy > After market Indy > Ace low bottoms

ACE regs bottoms are the same height as stock Indys (and taller than Indy aftermarkets; not sure why the aftermarket bottoms are lower than stock)

I'm running regs ACE bottoms and lo ACE tops in my TI Indys. Feels great and I'll not run anything else in them.
[close]

With washers the stock ventures are the same height as fresh bones mediums.

Will probably swap them to either the ace hi/low combo or bones meds. Anyone have exp running bones in Ventures? I always wonder how much thought goes into geometry with barrel bottoms vs conical when it comes to wheel bite and what comes stock.

Bones in venture lows, and recommend. Hi i just did stock

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #5764 on: July 15, 2019, 06:51:14 PM »
This is kind of a weird question but I did a cursory search and couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know Tensor 5.75's actual axle length? Their site and some places list it at 8.5" but others list it at 8.375". I know it's not a huge difference but its going to bother me if I order them and they're slightly shorter than my 8.38 deck rather than slightly wider.

I'm leaning towards it being 8.375" despite what the site says because I have a set of the 5.5's and the site lists them at 8.25" but they're actually 8.125" when you put a tape measure to them. If anyone has a set of the new geometry Tensors with the 5.75 hanger can you please measure them for me?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5765 on: July 15, 2019, 07:05:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Self quote alert.

I didn’t mention that bones in ventures (lo) gave them a much deeper turn. Venture washer used to (and still may) dig into the hanger, limiting the turn. I recently got 5.8. Thought they were sick. Wind was blowing wrong, gave em to the homie. Want me back. Maybe ti. Dunno

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5766 on: July 15, 2019, 08:27:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Self quote alert.

I didn’t mention that bones in ventures (lo) gave them a much deeper turn. Venture washer used to (and still may) dig into the hanger, limiting the turn. I recently got 5.8. Thought they were sick. Wind was blowing wrong, gave em to the homie. Want me back. Maybe ti. Dunno

Top washer binding ala Stage 10 fiasco?

I dropped in some Bones meds (top washers on the bottom) haven't ridden them yet but just standing on them they've eliminated the fucking SQUEAK SQUEAKS the fucking stocks where putting out....

Hanger sits on them just fine, doesn't look off/or compressed from the side.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 09:26:55 PM by Xen »

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #5767 on: July 15, 2019, 08:55:42 PM »
This is kind of a weird question but I did a cursory search and couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know Tensor 5.75's actual axle length? Their site and some places list it at 8.5" but others list it at 8.375". I know it's not a huge difference but its going to bother me if I order them and they're slightly shorter than my 8.38 deck rather than slightly wider.

I'm leaning towards it being 8.375" despite what the site says because I have a set of the 5.5's and the site lists them at 8.25" but they're actually 8.125" when you put a tape measure to them. If anyone has a set of the new geometry Tensors with the 5.75 hanger can you please measure them for me?

The hangers measure about 150mm so more a true 8.5”.

BMCsteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #5768 on: July 15, 2019, 09:07:08 PM »

The new All Terrain geometry measures an exact 8.5.  The previous Ten models measure 8.375

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5769 on: July 16, 2019, 04:35:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Self quote alert.

[close]

I dropped in some Bones meds (top washers on the bottom) haven't ridden them yet but just standing on them they've eliminated the fucking SQUEAK SQUEAKS the fucking stocks where putting out....

The pivot cups are LOUD. Definitely need oil, wax, tears, whatever works. Not sure why but they for sure squeak.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5770 on: July 16, 2019, 05:20:37 AM »
Was going to make a seperate thread but figured i’d just ask in here - on that chart of truck wheelbases they only had the larger size of Theeve’s listed and they shortened the wheelbase more than Ace’s. Does anyone know if this is the case for all of the sizes?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5771 on: July 16, 2019, 09:18:16 AM »
Was going to make a seperate thread but figured i’d just ask in here - on that chart of truck wheelbases they only had the larger size of Theeve’s listed and they shortened the wheelbase more than Ace’s. Does anyone know if this is the case for all of the sizes?
You might be thinking of the TiH - which has different hanger design. The wider theeves don't change the wheelbase.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5772 on: July 16, 2019, 09:35:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You might be thinking of the TiH - which has different hanger design. The wider theeves don't change the wheelbase.

I'm particularly interested in the CSX (5.5), there is barely any information online out there about Theeves but I'm so damn curious. Digging my Aces the most at the moment but Theeve may be something I'm looking for, but I refuse to bite the bullet unless I know exactly how they're going to affect my wheelbase (some serious OCD right here haha).

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #5773 on: July 16, 2019, 09:57:12 AM »
I'm particularly interested in the CSX (5.5)
The CSX model is going to stretch your wheelbase by a tiny amount coming from ACE. ACEs have the shortest wheelbase of all the brands generally speaking, but I did see that chart which has Theeve's TiH as being shorter - that's probably the source of the confusion.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #5774 on: July 16, 2019, 10:16:48 AM »
I think you can franken truck theeve/ace no?  Theeves are great trucks, sick turning radius, not super super high, ok clearance, not too heavy.....design ok, no weird defects.  It's just the pesky THEEVE...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5775 on: July 16, 2019, 10:24:56 AM »
I think you can franken truck theeve/ace no?  Theeves are great trucks, sick turning radius, not super super high, ok clearance, not too heavy.....design ok, no weird defects.  It's just the pesky THEEVE...

Yes you can. I had TIH hangers running in Mag plates with krux pins for a time, stupid light and they still felt like theeves. Sold the tihs on eBay for almost double what I paid for them (JP buyer).

Theeves are great just hated on. I'd hope the new CSX hollows help them a bit. Kinda wish they still made the ti kingpins, you don't realize just how heavy regular or hollow pins are until you've held a ti pin. Crazy.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5776 on: July 16, 2019, 10:56:35 AM »
Bobby Worrest posted and IG story of his board a few weeks back and you could see massive, massive grooves in the hanger from the washer digging in. So switching to a flat washer might open up more turn/wheelbite.

Karl Watson runs Bones in his Ventures, loads of people do it seems. Always the same setup they'd run in Indy- no bottom washer, top washer only. Then they get used to it and run it forever.

BMCsteve

« Reply #5777 on: July 16, 2019, 11:02:23 AM »
I would still be skating theeve if I didnt have 3 sets where the kingpins rounded off the baseplate and fell out.

I know this can happy with any cast truck and does to Ace often as well but they were the only trucks I've ever had it happen to.  It's been all truck madness since I moved on

Diocletian

« Reply #5778 on: July 16, 2019, 12:06:26 PM »
I finally got over the name and logo and ordered myself some Theeve’s. I’ve been beating up and grinding down my Ace 55’s but I’m ready for something that I can ride just as loose with a bit more stability + lightness. So I’m stoked to try them out and have a good feeling. Hope my kingpin doesn’t fall out like Steve’s though!

BMCsteve

« Reply #5779 on: July 16, 2019, 12:58:37 PM »
I finally got over the name and logo and ordered myself some Theeve’s. I’ve been beating up and grinding down my Ace 55’s but I’m ready for something that I can ride just as loose with a bit more stability + lightness. So I’m stoked to try them out and have a good feeling. Hope my kingpin doesn’t fall out like Steve’s though!

It likely will be fine.  I think I’m in the minority with having experienced theeve quality issues

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #5780 on: July 16, 2019, 01:00:10 PM »

I almost did the same yesterday but settled on Indy Hollows since they weren't much more expensive and I know what I'm getting. I don't know what it is about the Theeve Hanger that just turns me off. It just seems so fat and angular and flat, like a thicker Venture hanger without the lines.

Anyways I'm curious how you get on with them - please let us know how you feel they match up to the usual suspects.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #5781 on: July 16, 2019, 02:08:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I almost did the same yesterday but settled on Indy Hollows since they weren't much more expensive and I know what I'm getting. I don't know what it is about the Theeve Hanger that just turns me off. It just seems so fat and angular and flat, like a thicker Venture hanger without the lines.

Anyways I'm curious how you get on with them - please let us know how you feel they match up to the usual suspects.

i miss the old hanger from the V1. has anyone tried both V1/V2/V3 and compared? i have an old pair of TiAX V1 that I love and thinking about getting a new pair.. but it looks like they are using the CSX hanger now
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

BMCsteve

« Reply #5782 on: July 16, 2019, 02:28:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Self quote alert.

[close]

Are you using the stock washer on top or no washer?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5783 on: July 16, 2019, 04:39:03 PM »

I’ve been tossing and turning, sleepless, ace 55s, 33s, or ti venture 5.8. Should skate more, shop less. 55s look so sick. Most likely too beast for little me

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5784 on: July 16, 2019, 05:22:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i miss the old hanger from the V1. has anyone tried both V1/V2/V3 and compared? i have an old pair of TiAX V1 that I love and thinking about getting a new pair.. but it looks like they are using the CSX hanger now

The old hanger is soooo nice!

On V1 or V2 I never had quality issues.
V3s feel exactly the same.
Never have BMCs baseplate rounding/kingpin issue.

I've only ever purchased TiKing.

If you ride ace loose be warned you can't them to feel like ace. The bottom bushing is very tall, like thunder tall so replacing it can be tricky.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #5785 on: July 16, 2019, 09:28:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ACE (they lose a millimeter when broken in)
regs : top 12mm, bottom 14mm
low : top 10mm, bottom 12mm
INDY
stock: top 11mm, bottom 13mm
aftermarket barrel : top 10mm, bottom 13mm
aftermarket conical : top 10mm, bottom 14mm

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 09:44:02 PM by I AM »

I AM

« Reply #5786 on: July 16, 2019, 09:33:49 PM »
Expand Quote
I wonder if Indy basically released the 144 and any new Indy’s after the 144 as secretly the stage 11.5

Cause I use to hate how tippy Indy’s height felt but I can’t get off how good my 144 are on this 8.1 lurkville

The 144 don’t feel 55mm at all, they feel definitely like 53mm a good medium, I can see why people like Indy’s now cause once you get the right size dialed in they are some good trucks

I’m running them bone stock, standard 144 cast solid with stock orange cushions and they feel great
[close]

Naaaah, don't go down that rabbit hole man. I will say they started to use better bushings in the last year or so. I just picked up a new  set of forged hollow 149's, the stock orange cylinders are the same as the aftermarket ones now, better urethane with the lathed faces where they sit against the hanger. I compared them to an older set of 149 stock bushings (from USA stamped Indy's) and those bushings looked like molded shit in comparison.

*Updated for a pic
IMG_7331 by J J, on Flickr

From left to right, bushing from deadstock USA 149's (I'd say 2-3 years old, but unskated), bushing from new forged hollows, standard aftermarket bushing.
gigantic if true...how can we be sure those aren't just aftermarket 90a bushings and that you aren't some sort of a shill?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5787 on: July 16, 2019, 10:53:22 PM »
gigantic if true...how can we be sure those aren't just aftermarket 90a bushings and that you aren't some sort of a shill?

How do I know you aren't a plant for the Grind King relaunch casting aspersions on my research....?

Kidding. Nah man, I wish, I'm just a schmuck from Canada who spends the long cold nights nerding out on trucks. When I finally got around to picking up a set of forged Indy's I noticed the bushings were much better looking than the ones on an old cast pair I had lying around. Better colour, no air bubbles/cracks. Noticeable even before you take them apart. It'd be cool if someone else who's bought new Indy's lately could confirm/deny this, because I'd be skeptical too.

I AM

« Reply #5788 on: July 17, 2019, 12:08:29 AM »
It'd be cool if someone else who's bought new Indy's lately could confirm/deny this, because I'd be skeptical too.
yes please, also do they feel any different from the old stock ones? do you have any aftermarket 90a ones you could compare them to? do the standards also have the new bushings?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5789 on: July 17, 2019, 12:21:41 AM »
Expand Quote
It'd be cool if someone else who's bought new Indy's lately could confirm/deny this, because I'd be skeptical too.
[close]
yes please, also do they feel any different from the old stock ones? do you have any aftermarket 90a ones you could compare them to? do the standards also have the new bushings?

On my older set of casts I have the 90a aftermarkets (I have the 88a as well, as you can see in the pic but I found them a bit too mushy). Anyway, in my subjective opinion, the bushings that came in the new forged hollow set feel the same as the aftermarket 90a's. There was little to no break in time, felt good pretty much right away. Don't know about the standards, the only set of standards I have are USA stamped ones that have to be at least 2/3 years old at this point.

I know some dudes are hesitant to fuck with new trucks right away, but if any adventurous types with new Indy's want to check the bushings, see if they have the lathed surfaces of the aftermarkets, it would be greatly appreciated.