Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231329 times)

I AM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5940 on: July 27, 2019, 07:52:45 AM »
Expand Quote
im talking about the old ones. i like riding bushings without the top washer and old indy stock ones were perfect for this because they didn't create a crevice where the nut would go, they retained their original shape whereas with the aftermarket ones, you have to tighten the nut more and more each session because the nut would dig in and the bushing wouldn't rebound to it's original shape. have you noticed how “high rebound” bushings don't actually rebound to their original shapes? they always get like a millimeter shorter. infuriating.
[close]

Huh. I've never actually tried riding without any washer at all. Have you ever considered trying those khiro ones with the built-in aluminum washer and sleeve? I don't know what the quality is like but I'd assume they're more resistant to deformation.
i have. they really negate the purpose of not having top washers because the washer is built in...and if you ride as loose as i do, they're guaranteed to split and break.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #5941 on: July 27, 2019, 08:41:42 AM »
any way i can get hard bushings to have atleast some give/turn? another bones hc blew out and the only ones i could find to skate the same day were indy hards, barely got to cruise before it pissed it down. skating tomorrow and i cant get to the skate shop until monday.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5942 on: July 27, 2019, 10:25:06 AM »
any way i can get hard bushings to have atleast some give/turn? another bones hc blew out and the only ones i could find to skate the same day were indy hards, barely got to cruise before it pissed it down. skating tomorrow and i cant get to the skate shop until monday.

Some people feel boiling them helps break them in?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 846
« Reply #5943 on: July 27, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »
Some people feel boiling them helps break them in?

Is there like a technique to doing this? I tried it with those shitty tensor stock ones and also with the white stock ventures and all it did was make them wet. I just boiled a cup of water in the microwave and chucked them in and let it sit until it cooled enough for me to fish them out, then let them cool down to ambient before I put them in. Neither felt any different.

With bones hard what I do is just put them in and then tighten them down a little beyond what I ride them at and just rock back and forth heel to toe on my deck while I watch TV or something. It feels really stupid and probably looks ridiculous but it works somewhat and its a good calf stretch too.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5944 on: July 27, 2019, 12:28:19 PM »
i guess boiling on the stove wouldnt be too bad of an idea, theyd probably rebound to their original hardness fairly quick but if you can fish em out, stick em in and rock it back and forth a bit they could loosen up somewhat.

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #5945 on: July 27, 2019, 01:07:21 PM »
It’s 1000 degrees outside. Just go skate or leave your trucks out in the sun all afternoon.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5946 on: July 27, 2019, 01:48:14 PM »
on the contrary i live in england and its 15c, pissing down with rain and nearly 10pm at night so stick that sun up yer arse

Nollie FS 180

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5947 on: July 27, 2019, 01:58:56 PM »
I can confirm that the boiling thing kinda works. The bushings do get softer but it’s not too noticeable. As for breaking them in,  it works. I boiled soles bones blues and put them in and they felt better with a quicker response than before. Only complaint is that they can misshape your bushing or break them so be careful.
“Fuck you Amy, I love you” ~ Rick Kane

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #5948 on: July 27, 2019, 04:17:06 PM »
the boiling thing only works if you put them back in and skate the trucks immediately. it doesn't make them much softer but helps with the breaking in process. this is unnecessary if you live in a considerably hot environment or just have enough patience.

i ended up just skating my new ventures as it is. they are totally fine and ride as expected now. feels less dorky than riding indys, but i can take almost the same turns.

but check this:

i was skating a friends 12 year old cruiser board today, which was equipped with hurricanes, of all trucks. nevertheless that thing turned sharp as hell. he said there were some aftermarket bushings in them but he couldn't remember which ones, but they weren't bones. anyways, those trucks, which i initially mistook for destructos for some reason(probably cause they actually turned), were super fun to ride. there were some stereo cruiser wheels about 58 mm on this board and the trucks were mounted on some fat ass risers, so you could really lean in.

not sure what to think of this tbh. lots of peers had hurricane trucks back when i started skating back then, but we would ride our trucks tight as fuck, too. it was cool tho.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 846
« Reply #5949 on: July 27, 2019, 04:58:49 PM »
Holy shit thats a name I haven't heard in forever. There was a kid in my school who had the white Willy Santos ones. I watched him beat the living shit out of his brother over a broken Coolio CD, like full on choked him til he passed out and probably would have killed him if we hadn't pulled him off psychotic rage sort of thing. I wonder if he still has those trucks.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5950 on: July 27, 2019, 05:19:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Good pivot cups are a thing too, almost as essential as good bushings, just put some white minilogo ones on my 149mm, they seem better quality than Indy aftermarket ones and more responsive, less dead plastic feeling
[close]
Any thoughts/exp on that ?
[close]
DO NOT BUY MINILOGO PIVOT CUPS. THEY ARE STRAIGHT UP HARD ASS PLASTIC (NOT URETHANE) AND THEY DEFORM AND BREAK WITHIN A DAY OF SKATING. ALSO INDY AFTERMARKET CUPS SUCK DICK. THEYRE REALLY CREAKY AND START STRETCHING AROUND THE HANGER UNTIL A HOLE DEVELOPS AFTER ABOUT A WEEK OF SKATING. THIS HAPPENS NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF BUSHING SETUP YOU HAVE. JUST KEEP USING THE “SHITTY” STOCK ONES UNTIL THEY ARE UNRIDEABLE (*IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO GREASE/LUBE BEFORE RIDING) (LOL) AND THEN TRY TO GET NON BRANDED PIVOT CUPS IF YOUR LOCAL SHOP SELLS THEM. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT SPEND MORE THAN A DOLLAR OR TWO FOR PIVOT CUPS, AND DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING THEM IF YOU DONT ABSOLUTELY NEED NEW ONES.

True
False

So you 'broke' them in one day, yet a hole developed over a week of skating. You rode them broken for a week?

I AM

« Reply #5951 on: July 27, 2019, 07:40:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Good pivot cups are a thing too, almost as essential as good bushings, just put some white minilogo ones on my 149mm, they seem better quality than Indy aftermarket ones and more responsive, less dead plastic feeling
[close]
Any thoughts/exp on that ?
[close]
DO NOT BUY MINILOGO PIVOT CUPS. THEY ARE STRAIGHT UP HARD ASS PLASTIC (NOT URETHANE) AND THEY DEFORM AND BREAK WITHIN A DAY OF SKATING. ALSO INDY AFTERMARKET CUPS SUCK DICK. THEYRE REALLY CREAKY AND START STRETCHING AROUND THE HANGER UNTIL A HOLE DEVELOPS AFTER ABOUT A WEEK OF SKATING. THIS HAPPENS NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF BUSHING SETUP YOU HAVE. JUST KEEP USING THE “SHITTY” STOCK ONES UNTIL THEY ARE UNRIDEABLE (*IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO GREASE/LUBE BEFORE RIDING) (LOL) AND THEN TRY TO GET NON BRANDED PIVOT CUPS IF YOUR LOCAL SHOP SELLS THEM. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT SPEND MORE THAN A DOLLAR OR TWO FOR PIVOT CUPS, AND DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING THEM IF YOU DONT ABSOLUTELY NEED NEW ONES.
[close]

True
False

So you 'broke' them in one day, yet a hole developed over a week of skating. You rode them broken for a week?
when did i ever say i rode the minilogo ones for a week?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5952 on: July 27, 2019, 08:44:08 PM »

So you didn't?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 08:48:58 PM by Xen »

I AM

« Reply #5953 on: July 27, 2019, 09:26:39 PM »

So you didn't?
yes. like i said, they deformed and broke within a day of skating.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #5954 on: July 28, 2019, 01:47:37 AM »
he skated the minilogos for a day and the indys for a week
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5955 on: July 28, 2019, 04:47:58 AM »
I've been riding mini logo pivot cups a lot, no issues at all.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5956 on: July 28, 2019, 05:54:35 AM »
I've been riding mini logo pivot cups a lot, no issues at all.
good to hear, 3-4 sessions in and they still feel nice

he skated the minilogos for a day and the indys for a week
haha he must be Galactus lil' cousin, the pivot cup devourer one
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 05:58:14 AM by the snake »

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #5957 on: July 28, 2019, 06:16:04 AM »
Where they on new trucks? Or where they on some worn out ovalized mangled hanger and baseplate

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #5958 on: July 28, 2019, 02:25:38 PM »
First session completed with some Venture 5.8 highs and I'm in love.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #5959 on: July 28, 2019, 03:18:40 PM »
I impulsively ordered Riptide pivot cups for my 149's.  By impulsively, I mean I was hungover and making bad decisions.  I'm skeptical, but we'll see.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #5960 on: July 28, 2019, 06:02:12 PM »
Do you guys change bushings as soon as they mush out or keep it going? I normally would keep it going but my 88a Indy bushings mushed out today and I cant seem to get comfortable with again. Like I felt it the second it mushed out. Whats the most times you guys have swapped out bushings per set of trucks?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #5961 on: July 28, 2019, 06:16:30 PM »
Not instantly but my bones meds have held on longer than i anticipated, i find sometimes once they mush out they're still manageable so long as theres no real ovaling in the seat hole

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5962 on: July 28, 2019, 07:08:33 PM »
Do you guys change bushings as soon as they mush out or keep it going? I normally would keep it going but my 88a Indy bushings mushed out today and I cant seem to get comfortable with again. Like I felt it the second it mushed out. Whats the most times you guys have swapped out bushings per set of trucks?

Despite the amount I post in this thread, I try to keep my shit stock when possible. I used to carry over my old bushings to new trucks but now often have to replace the bushings at least once during the life of the truck.

Weird they'd mush out so decisively, never had that with the Indy aftermarkets. Can you see if they tore or chunked out? I had a stock set of the orange 90a Indy's that tore from top to bottom, when I stepped on it the board felt like it had suspension. No saving those. 

I AM

« Reply #5963 on: July 28, 2019, 07:09:31 PM »
Where they on new trucks? Or where they on some worn out ovalized mangled hanger and baseplate
basically new ace trucks
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 09:58:17 PM by I AM »

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #5964 on: July 28, 2019, 07:19:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Despite the amount I post in this thread, I try to keep my shit stock when possible. I used to carry over my old bushings to new trucks but now often have to replace the bushings at least once during the life of the truck.

Weird they'd mush out so decisively, never had that with the Indy aftermarkets. Can you see if they tore or chunked out? I had a stock set of the orange 90a Indy's that tore from top to bottom, when I stepped on it the board felt like it had suspension. No saving those.

These are from the back truck:

These are the front truck which are fine:

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5965 on: July 28, 2019, 07:25:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The last two pics of the rear truck, definitely looks like the top bushing is peeling apart (kind of looks like the washer is burrowing into it). I mean I've seen worse, but if it's tripping you up better to bite the bullet and break in some new rubber.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #5966 on: July 28, 2019, 10:25:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

These are the front truck which are fine:

try riding the next duro up with flush nuts?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5967 on: July 29, 2019, 12:30:47 AM »
^Washer looks too small. Fuck crappy washers. They can have a surprisingly big effect on how trucks perform.

I AM

« Reply #5968 on: July 29, 2019, 02:28:01 AM »
^Washer looks too small. Fuck crappy washers. They can have a surprisingly big effect on how trucks perform.
this. do not use the washers that come with indy aftrmarket bushings. the bottom ones for the barrels are also too small. the only ones that actually work are the conical bottom ones. just keep using the stock ones.
 also, the new ace washers suck dick. the bottom ones are fine if you put the rounded side of the bushing on the washer side, otherwise they're too small. and the top washers make an other wise perfect bushing setup into an unstable unresponsive nightmare. the old ace top washers seem to fit fine, also the washers that come with theeves work fine with ace top bushings, and while all 4 theeve washers are the same size so you get two aces worth of top washers, it's absolute fucking bullshit that a truck company fucks up so bad that i have to buy another truck just to ride them. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER ACE.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5969 on: July 29, 2019, 02:29:09 AM »
man those indy hards in thunders actually skated alot better than i thought. got them set up so that the nut is just loose enough so that the trucks have some distinct wobble to them and it feels pretty good in all actuality, feels like i have a bit more pop than i used to