Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231897 times)

Shuh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #5970 on: July 29, 2019, 04:46:23 AM »
I guess its official, kader is on venture (wearing the venture t) baker posted on there story. Hes probably part of the 6.1 testing

chappers

« Reply #5971 on: July 29, 2019, 04:50:44 AM »
I guess its official, kader is on venture (wearing the venture t) baker posted on there story. Hes probably part of the 6.1 testing

if reynolds leaves indy theyre officially done in my eyes. anyone else think this has more to do with 1010 than people talk about?

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #5972 on: July 29, 2019, 05:03:54 AM »
Do you guys change bushings as soon as they mush out or keep it going? I normally would keep it going but my 88a Indy bushings mushed out today and I cant seem to get comfortable with again. Like I felt it the second it mushed out. Whats the most times you guys have swapped out bushings per set of trucks?

Mashed bushings are my favorite actually. By the time the trucks are cooked, those bushings are flayed out like flower petals.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5973 on: July 29, 2019, 07:00:49 AM »
I impulsively ordered Riptide pivot cups for my 149's.  By impulsively, I mean I was hungover and making bad decisions.  I'm skeptical, but we'll see.
That's one change that you won't regret.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5974 on: July 29, 2019, 07:09:07 AM »

I’m just amazed he’s skating 8.25’s, maybe the whole 9” thing was just a gimmick

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5975 on: July 29, 2019, 07:56:10 AM »

He's gonna be so bummed when he realizes that they don't turn  ::)

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #5976 on: July 29, 2019, 10:24:59 AM »
Does anyone know where the new tensor ATG falls in extending my wheelbase?
I assume between a Indy and a thunder and I was thinking about giving thunder a shot after these. I just don’t want to make things harder on myself, I have a hard enough time skating as it is

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #5977 on: July 29, 2019, 10:58:11 AM »
Holy shit thats a name I haven't heard in forever. There was a kid in my school who had the white Willy Santos ones. I watched him beat the living shit out of his brother over a broken Coolio CD, like full on choked him til he passed out and probably would have killed him if we hadn't pulled him off psychotic rage sort of thing. I wonder if he still has those trucks.

holy fuck, that's wild.

my homie with said cruiser board has still all kinds of old shit. he's skating some old ass board with orange thunders he found in his moms basement or something. he used to work at a distro and hasn't bought skatestuff for more than ten years other than trucks. he's looking like he's coming straight out of 2002 as well. he's still skating off his stash of dcs from back then.

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #5978 on: July 29, 2019, 11:18:11 AM »
Expand Quote
^Washer looks too small. Fuck crappy washers. They can have a surprisingly big effect on how trucks perform.
[close]
this. do not use the washers that come with indy aftrmarket bushings. the bottom ones for the barrels are also too small. the only ones that actually work are the conical bottom ones. just keep using the stock ones.
 also, the new ace washers suck dick. the bottom ones are fine if you put the rounded side of the bushing on the washer side, otherwise they're too small. and the top washers make an other wise perfect bushing setup into an unstable unresponsive nightmare. the old ace top washers seem to fit fine, also the washers that come with theeves work fine with ace top bushings, and while all 4 theeve washers are the same size so you get two aces worth of top washers, it's absolute fucking bullshit that a truck company fucks up so bad that i have to buy another truck just to ride them. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER ACE.

Yeah I noticed that too with the Indy aftermarket bushings. When you put the bottom barrel bushing into the bottom washer it's like it doesn't sit totally flush. Can't understand why they would make the washers too small for the bushings they come with. I'm just using the factory washers with the Indy hard barrel bushings now and it seems good.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5979 on: July 29, 2019, 12:43:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^Washer looks too small. Fuck crappy washers. They can have a surprisingly big effect on how trucks perform.
[close]
this. do not use the washers that come with indy aftrmarket bushings. the bottom ones for the barrels are also too small. the only ones that actually work are the conical bottom ones. just keep using the stock ones.
 also, the new ace washers suck dick. the bottom ones are fine if you put the rounded side of the bushing on the washer side, otherwise they're too small. and the top washers make an other wise perfect bushing setup into an unstable unresponsive nightmare. the old ace top washers seem to fit fine, also the washers that come with theeves work fine with ace top bushings, and while all 4 theeve washers are the same size so you get two aces worth of top washers, it's absolute fucking bullshit that a truck company fucks up so bad that i have to buy another truck just to ride them. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER ACE.
[close]

Yeah I noticed that too with the Indy aftermarket bushings. When you put the bottom barrel bushing into the bottom washer it's like it doesn't sit totally flush. Can't understand why they would make the washers too small for the bushings they come with. I'm just using the factory washers with the Indy hard barrel bushings now and it seems good.

The cylinder and conical bushings at least used to come with different sized bottom washers. Maybe they've done goofed at the factory and but the smaller ones that come with the conicals with the cylinder ones? 🤔

Anyway, normal Indy stock washers are best. I have them on my Aces too as the Ace washers are too thick and at least look quite tiny too.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #5980 on: July 29, 2019, 03:26:03 PM »
New Venture size out in a few days
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #5981 on: July 29, 2019, 06:38:06 PM »
Ended up putting the stock bushings back, don't really like em. I've been using 88a's for a while now and love a softer bushing. Gonna go ahead and buy another set of them. Was gonna ask whats the difference between the conical and standard Indy bushings?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5982 on: July 29, 2019, 07:19:46 PM »
Ended up putting the stock bushings back, don't really like em. I've been using 88a's for a while now and love a softer bushing. Gonna go ahead and buy another set of them. Was gonna ask whats the difference between the conical and standard Indy bushings?

Differing opinions on the conical vs cylinder. Some people think you get a deeper turn, but I've always found they have a less drastic rebound, less snap back. Which I prefer, I feel like you get a bit more control out of a conical bushing. But I'm a skinny ass, so I need any help for surfier trucks. YMMV.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5983 on: July 29, 2019, 07:26:16 PM »

Conicals will give you a quicker turn compared to cylinders.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:27:59 PM by Xen »

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #5984 on: July 29, 2019, 08:00:38 PM »
I just got a pair of 159 hollows ( (https://proletariatskateboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/large_87232_Independent-Trucks-Kremer-Speed-2-Hollow-silver-black-bs.jpg)
And realized they are the same height as classics.
Don’t hollows come with forged plates?
Also does anyone know if the red stock bushings are soft like the aftermarket?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:26:07 AM by jtrpma »

PMA

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #5985 on: July 29, 2019, 08:50:44 PM »
I just got a pair of 159 hollows (https://proletariatskateboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/large_87232_Independent-Trucks-Kremer-Speed-2-Hollow-silver-black-bs.jpg)

Most (if not all) of the pro models are hollow axle/kingpin but with standard cast plates. And all Indy's come with 90d bushings regardless of the colour.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #5986 on: July 29, 2019, 09:12:38 PM »
try the 90a cylinders. i promise you'll like them.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5987 on: July 30, 2019, 12:49:21 AM »
First session completed with some Venture 5.8 highs and I'm in love.

Me too. Bought and skated them today in a pool and they definitely turn way better than expected. Extended wheelbase is a nice change of pace.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #5988 on: July 30, 2019, 05:27:23 AM »
Expand Quote
I just got a pair of 159 hollows (https://proletariatskateboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/large_87232_Independent-Trucks-Kremer-Speed-2-Hollow-silver-black-bs.jpg)
[close]

Most (if not all) of the pro models are hollow axle/kingpin but with standard cast plates. And all Indy's come with 90d bushings regardless of the colour.

thank you, appreciate it!

PMA

videostore

• Rep: 0
  • Showin up to class with Moet in a flask
« Reply #5989 on: August 01, 2019, 06:33:23 AM »
Running Thunder 148 ti lights with Bones hard bushings. Could be tripping but I think the geo is altered slightly by having a taller lower bushing on the Bones vs. the stock. They turn great. All this Venture talk x 90 nostalgia got me thinking about trying to Ventures though.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5990 on: August 01, 2019, 07:53:25 AM »
I think I didn't like the 5.6's as much cuz they're a bit narrow, but my 5.8 are V-lights. Last Venture effort is throwing the 5.8 hanger on the 5.6 cast plates to bring the WB in.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #5991 on: August 01, 2019, 08:19:40 AM »
i had some play in my front truck on my 169s

took everything apart to make sure the kingpin wasn't loose and set it back up with stock bushings to mess around a bit. noticed the stock pivot cup was packed down a bit so I swapped in some Khiro Small/Soft pivot cups and put the 92a cylinders back on. everythings back to perfect now  ;D

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #5992 on: August 01, 2019, 08:25:32 AM »
I just don't get Krux. I'm forcing myself to skate these so I don't have so much gear sitting around but I'm not enjoying it. Now a bottom bushing is starting to split and the other isn't looking so hot either. They're already falling apart so I'm just going to ride them without washers now I suppose.

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
« Reply #5993 on: August 01, 2019, 08:43:37 AM »
i know there's a been some talk about it, but Bones in Venture High (5.6)?

The stocks aren't bad, but I'm getting the itch to throw Bones mediums in there to have a little more carve. Plus i could be just losing my mind but I keep catching the stocks not sitting evenly. All four wheels touch the ground, no teetering, but if you look the angle is a little off on the front one in particular, kinda like sitting to the side is its natural state almost.

Again it's less a need and more a "could this feel even better if i were to add these?"

videostore

• Rep: 0
  • Showin up to class with Moet in a flask
« Reply #5994 on: August 01, 2019, 08:51:44 AM »

The stocks aren't bad, but I'm getting the itch to throw Bones mediums in there to have a little more carve. Plus i could be just losing my mind but I keep catching the stocks not sitting evenly. All four wheels touch the ground, no teetering, but if you look the angle is a little off on the front one in particular, kinda like sitting to the side is its natural state almost.

Again it's less a need and more a "could this feel even better if i were to add these?"
Try it out, let us know!

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #5995 on: August 01, 2019, 10:14:43 AM »
I won an ebay auction for a lot of trucks a little while back and ended up with a single Indy 139 in it. I recently started skating an 8" again with Thunders and was enjoying it but decided I wanted to try it out with Indys so I ordered another 139. I put them on last night and this morning was testing it out but just couldn't get comfortable. I decided to put in stiffer bushings and to my surprise the 139 I just ordered had the new bushings. So it's not just the higher priced models - apparently they're putting them in standard Indys as well, or at least in 139s but I can't imagine they'd only do it for one size. I'm assuming the change has to do with them moving production overseas but have nothing to actually back that up.

Also I sent the new stock ones from my hollows to Rob and he's loving them too, so that at least somewhat assuages my fears that it's all in my head, a symptom of the madness rather than actual changes in performance. Then again folie a deux is a thing...

Both came from Indy standard 139's with Zumiez stickers.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #5996 on: August 01, 2019, 10:24:35 AM »

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #5997 on: August 01, 2019, 10:26:14 AM »

That's strange. Maybe it's a pivot cup issue since it sounds like it's a rotational thing rather than a tilt thing. I would think that if the hanger was sitting unevenly on the bushings that the wheels wouldn't sit right on the ground.

Curious about Bones in Ventures myself. I'm waiting on a pair of 5.6s to show up within the week. I have every intention of breaking in the stock bushings and giving them an honest go, but I have a set of Bones kicking around I can throw in to test out.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #5998 on: August 01, 2019, 11:28:32 AM »

Probably a slightly warped deck

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #5999 on: August 01, 2019, 12:01:26 PM »
I won an ebay auction for a lot of trucks a little while back and ended up with a single Indy 139 in it. I recently started skating an 8" again with Thunders and was enjoying it but decided I wanted to try it out with Indys so I ordered another 139. I put them on last night and this morning was testing it out but just couldn't get comfortable. I decided to put in stiffer bushings and to my surprise the 139 I just ordered had the new bushings. So it's not just the higher priced models - apparently they're putting them in standard Indys as well, or at least in 139s but I can't imagine they'd only do it for one size. I'm assuming the change has to do with them moving production overseas but have nothing to actually back that up.

Also I sent the new stock ones from my hollows to Rob and he's loving them too, so that at least somewhat assuages my fears that it's all in my head, a symptom of the madness rather than actual changes in performance. Then again folie a deux is a thing...

Both came from Indy standard 139's with Zumiez stickers.

It's good to see they're using the new (Supercush?) bushings in the Standards. They seem way better than the old factory molded bushings. I noticed the pivot cups in my Forged Titaniums are much better quality too. Hopefully that's something they put in the Standards going forward. I have to admit, the move to China really seems to have improved the overall quality of Indys. Not something I would have expected.