Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220783 times)

Dog the Bounty Hunter

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6030 on: August 09, 2019, 08:36:50 AM »
All this talk about venture’s stability lately...anyone try the no top bushings, two top washers wobble?

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6031 on: August 09, 2019, 03:15:11 PM »
Expand Quote
All this talk about venture’s stability lately...anyone try the no top bushings, two top washers wobble?
[close]

I concur on this one.

thebacker

« Reply #6032 on: August 09, 2019, 03:21:08 PM »
top bushing no washer is the wave

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #6033 on: August 09, 2019, 04:15:32 PM »
I was actually feeling the stock Venture bushings but I too blew out the top front bushing after only a week or so of skating them. It ripped through entirely on one side which I don't know if I've ever done before ha!

Probably my own damn fault because during that week I was going heavy on slappy crooks and nollie crooks depending on the obstacle at hand. Threw an older set of bones medium bottoms and hard tops in... feels surfier which is cool. I did the small bones washer on the bottom (I was reading that should keep the geo the same?) and a small bones washer on top too.

Since I don't really have a frame of reference with Venture (unlike Indy) I've been trying out different stuff to see how it would feel. I tried the Riptides in there, but it felt like they didn't fit too well and kinda made the truck sit weird... on top of that they made the truck feel a little too mushy if that makes sense. I put the stock pivots back and kinda like the way that feels a little more even though in theory I shouldn't.

That's almost exactly what happened with my stock bushing. It tore almost down to the base. I did have it cranked down pretty good because I was coming off riding indys with bones hards in them but I don't recall doing anything particularly crazy that would have put it under an abnormal load.

The stock pivot cups have always been fine for me. I've never tried riptides but I did get the Krux ones that come with the bushings (they're way too tall so you have to trim them down to fit in an indy/thunder) and they're pretty soft. I tried them with thunders and while they were successful in stopping the annoying squeak that all thunders seem to make I didn't like the way they made them feel. They felt too thick and almost too soft like you're describing. I havent tried them in indys but now that I'm thinking about it I'm going to put them in and try them out on my morning skate.

TheLowerBack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #6034 on: August 09, 2019, 05:17:11 PM »
After years of the madness I had been running my Thunders stock for about eight months . The other day I blew out a bushing. I decided to get Indy 88 cones to get a little looser and now I feel the madness setting in again. I got a set of flat washers for the bottom and ordered a set of Shorty’s pivot cups. Not sure how they feel, but they were one of the first results when I googled “soft pivot cups”. I’ll post feedback once I have them set up and get a full session in.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6035 on: August 10, 2019, 07:35:52 AM »
I've always thought thunders should just use thunder components because the pivots are small and the lower bushing is higher....

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #6036 on: August 11, 2019, 06:25:40 PM »
Anybody know where I can get some Thunder 151 Team Hollows?

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6037 on: August 11, 2019, 07:08:23 PM »
Anybody know where I can get some Thunder 151 Team Hollows?

Discontinued

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6038 on: August 11, 2019, 07:20:07 PM »
Peter Hewitt is skating 8.38 anti hero decks on stock Ti 159s 

sounds like a mini mega setup but the wheels hit just past flush

looks sick, i'm gonna swap some stuff around this weekend to try it out

54mm V5 Easy Streets measure 8.38 outside edge to outside edge on my 159s

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #6039 on: August 12, 2019, 06:40:20 AM »
I finally ordered the blue 92a conical indy GP bushings and so far lm quite satisfied. I think these are kind of a sweet spot for me, more stable than the stocks but without sacrificing the classic surfy indy feel. I've only got about an hour on them so I don't know if they'll change much as they break in, but I hope they don't.

This is in the 144 FH, I haven't tried them in 139/149's yet. I don't know why but I seem to prefer harder bushings in 139/144 and softer ones in 149. I have a set of hard luck orange bushings to test out too but haven't gotten around to it yet.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #6040 on: August 12, 2019, 07:41:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
top bushing no washer is the wave
Are they still stable? But surfy? Tell me more tell me more!
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #6041 on: August 12, 2019, 08:58:38 PM »
Got truck madness reading through this thread. Been riding indy 149s since I was 18 on boards 8.12-8.5. Tried the 144 Indys when they came out and wasn't in love, went back to 149s. Then I got the itch to try ACE 44s, and though they're really good trucks and the turn is insane I got the itch to grind my 149s to the axle and they feel surfier? Not sure what's real right now. Also am starting to want ventures again after reading everyone's thoughts on them. Also threw an old pair of thunder 149s on a setup and they turned and felt amazing.

Hate how perfect Indys are until I settle in with them. You always want what you don't have until it's gone. 

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #6042 on: August 13, 2019, 09:00:25 AM »
Are 9” thunders coming out or did I dream that?

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6043 on: August 13, 2019, 12:33:45 PM »

But wouldn’t you want 9” ventures?

Guys I’m sorta back, made the craziest discovery reading the jenkem article on truck setups and remembering a video too about franks setup being that he uses the Indy low after markets for his 147 and I took my old Indy go 90a conical lows and threw them in and damn, they make such a great difference to thunder 147, they have more clearance it seems and more turn-ability but still stable and centered thanks to the thunder geo, the know control geo

Sadly they don’t sell the Indy low bushings anymore 90a to be specific so if you can still get a set try it out if you ride 147, I tried it on 148 too and it’s good too but since those are taller than 147 I just stuck to using the stock or bones mediums 
yes

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #6044 on: August 13, 2019, 12:44:03 PM »
As a longtime truck nerd, I’ve come to grips with the fact that there is no Goldilocks truck that fits every need at all times. They all have there strengths/weaknesses with marginal room for modification but ultimately you just gotta settle for whatever checks the most boxes for you and stick with it for consistency’s sake.

I say all this as some who’s actually found that elusive “perfect performing” truck in Theeve but even still I gotta settle for lackluster marketing, no video/pro hype, and the overall swaglessness that comes with riding them. There’s always sacrifices in way or another

That being said, I’m probably one nice bonus check away from grabbing some venture Ti’s for the hell of it so carry on with the madness

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #6045 on: August 13, 2019, 02:00:15 PM »
As a longtime truck nerd, I’ve come to grips with the fact that there is no Goldilocks truck that fits every need at all times. They all have there strengths/weaknesses with marginal room for modification but ultimately you just gotta settle for whatever checks the most boxes for you and stick with it for consistency’s sake.
this is enlightenment. #ridethebestfucktherest 

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6046 on: August 13, 2019, 02:32:05 PM »
I'm really liking my tensors lately. The newer ATG ones. Suprisingly pretty surfy once broken in. I feel like I wouldn't trust them if I was a bigger dude and or jumping of shit though. They are actually almost too light, but I have gotten used to them. ::) Still looking at aces and ventures to try next but for now these are fun.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #6047 on: August 13, 2019, 09:02:59 PM »

I say all this as some who’s actually found that elusive “perfect performing” truck in Theeve but even still I gotta settle for lackluster marketing, no video/pro hype, and the overall swaglessness that comes with riding them. There’s always sacrifices in way or another

That being said, I’m probably one nice bonus check away from grabbing some venture Ti’s for the hell of it so carry on with the madness
I’ll be praying for you that the V-TiTs work out 🙏🏽. I hope they make them in 6.1s sooner than later.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6048 on: August 13, 2019, 10:17:48 PM »
I'm really liking my tensors lately. The newer ATG ones. Suprisingly pretty surfy once broken in. I feel like I wouldn't trust them if I was a bigger dude and or jumping of shit though. They are actually almost too light, but I have gotten used to them. ::) Still looking at aces and ventures to try next but for now these are fun.

Fell off the Venture wagon, they're super stable and less twitchy than thunders...they just don't feel 'right' to me as I'm clearly in the ACE/Indy/Theeve camp no matter how hard I want to like Thunders or Ventures for everything.

So I went back to ML  :o and haven't been bothered to change them up...a wide (I prefer 8.3s), low (I think this is the key factor here) and middle of the road light truck (much lighter with krux pins), that fits in the indyacetheeve camp & stable is just what feels good to me right now. I haven't lost any tricks so w/e.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #6049 on: August 14, 2019, 03:16:01 AM »
despite the cracked hangar, rounded baseplate holes, loose kingpin and axle nuts held on with glue i will not give up on these until i snap this fucker

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6050 on: August 14, 2019, 04:06:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fell off the Venture wagon, they're super stable and less twitchy than thunders...they just don't feel 'right' to me as I'm clearly in the ACE/Indy/Theeve camp no matter how hard I want to like Thunders or Ventures for everything.

So I went back to ML  :o and haven't been bothered to change them up...a wide (I prefer 8.3s), low (I think this is the key factor here) and middle of the road light truck (much lighter with krux pins), that fits in the indyacetheeve camp & stable is just what feels good to me right now. I haven't lost any tricks so w/e.

Now your making me want to go back to ML trucks

Especially since they redesigned them without the ugly logo on the front of the hangar engraved in

Kinda odd they have a pentagram Star on the baseplate but hey as long as they got rid of the hideous logo on the hangar I’m definitely grabbing a set, but 8.38” or 8”...

Been riding 8’s mainly but I occasionally like my 8.2
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #6051 on: August 14, 2019, 05:43:41 AM »
I've never tried Krux trucks. Please help a brotha out.. sell me (or don't?) on Krux. Using the big 3 as comparisons, as that's my usual suspects (albeit lately, I'm more Venture vs Thunder). Only other trucks I've tried in my years were Tracker Ultralights in 1987, Royals in 99 or '00, and Tensors for like a week in 2002 or something.

Krux turn like:
a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

Krux weight is similar to:
a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

Krux heights are similar to: (they have highs and lows? differences?)
a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

Krux grind like:
a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

Krux rating overall 1-10:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 05:55:44 AM by fang »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6052 on: August 14, 2019, 06:23:41 AM »
I've never tried Krux trucks. Please help a brotha out.. sell me (or don't?) on Krux. Using the big 3 as comparisons, as that's my usual suspects (albeit lately, I'm more Venture vs Thunder). Only other trucks I've tried in my years were Tracker Ultralights in 1987, Royals in 99 or '00, and Tensors for like a week in 2002 or something.

Krux turn like:
a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

Krux grind like:
a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

Krux turn like:
b) Venture

b) Venture
c) Thunder

a) Indy(for the highs)
c) Thunder(for the lows but maybe a 1mm taller than thunder 147)

Krux grind like:
other) sorta like aces maybe

Krux rating overall 1-10: a solid 7 for me

They turn okay very similar to a venture but better and they respond almost like a thunder and feel sorta like a less surfy Indy, like if Indy’s we’re trying to be thunder is how I would describe it

In control and responsive but still trying to be surfy,Carvy, turny

I use to ride the downlow forever back in the day when small decks ruled but then I tried the new krux revamped with the new bushings and styles for this era of skating demand and idk, they aren’t as stable as old version

They hated being that truck that didn’t turn I guess so they started doing this soft bushing that don’t turn and updating the hangar shape so it’s got more clearance but I feel like they’re not as good as the old version and that’s why Louie still rides his old krux 3.5 tall

If you ride your trucks medium to tight you’ll be okay, if you ride or prefer loose trucks maybe even medium loose I wouldn’t recommend

They just lean when you wanna crave leaving you in that stuck position of doom, if you ride medium to tight like me they’re really decent trucks almost as good as thunder with response

They do this thing so when you land awkward and try to save yourself by leaning and turning/riding it out but you only get the forgiveness of leaning sloppily with no turn/ride out

Like what those loose trucks guys do, they just land the trick even if it’s sloppy but some how loose trucks saves lives and they ride it out landing hard on one side of the board and leaning and turning that way and re stabilizing after getting balanced, Indy’s, aces, and I think even thunders let you have that loose truck forgiveness

Krux tried to implement that in the truck and your life will not be saved for they don’t turn that hard and deep
yes

ballintoohard

« Reply #6053 on: August 14, 2019, 10:25:18 AM »
Giving 5.6 cast Venture another chance. The stability is cool, but something feels off compared to Thunders. Will roll em another week and decide. I do like them over the V-lights as those are just too long. I might grab my 5.8 hanger and throw it on the 5.6 plate and give that a shot. I suck at feebles on 8.25 trucks, do em fine on 149/8.5

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6054 on: August 14, 2019, 10:52:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But wouldn’t you want 9” ventures?

Guys I’m sorta back, made the craziest discovery reading the jenkem article on truck setups and remembering a video too about franks setup being that he uses the Indy low after markets for his 147 and I took my old Indy go 90a conical lows and threw them in and damn, they make such a great difference to thunder 147, they have more clearance it seems and more turn-ability but still stable and centered thanks to the thunder geo, the know control geo

Sadly they don’t sell the Indy low bushings anymore 90a to be specific so if you can still get a set try it out if you ride 147, I tried it on 148 too and it’s good too but since those are taller than 147 I just stuck to using the stock or bones mediums

Throw in some ACE low bushings and be set ;)

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6055 on: August 14, 2019, 11:33:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sadly they don’t sell the Indy low bushings anymore 90a to be specific
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/genuine-parts-low-conical-90a-cushions-medium-orange-independent

ballintoohard

« Reply #6056 on: August 14, 2019, 12:27:15 PM »
Oh and update with Ventures and Bones Medium- the turn is definitely a bit deeper from the top washer not digging into the truck, however, they feel firmer than the stock bushings. I might switch back and use the Bones top washer.

Also, I run the trucks decently loose, but when I carve sharply sometimes, a front wheel will slightly lift off the ground on the front truck. Kinda weird.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #6057 on: August 14, 2019, 12:36:49 PM »

Krux turn like:
a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

Krux grind like:
a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

55mm height, great grind, perfect wheelbase, average weight (for a standard truck). If you like a sharp turn you will not like Krux. They turn fine, but it's not sharp. It's not responsive either. They dont have the same lean as a lot of trucks and if you switch from a turny truck you will litterally be falling over for the first few minutes. That's why a lot of people hate then with a passion. I think for some people the lack of response actually benefits them greatly.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6058 on: August 14, 2019, 05:12:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Sadly they don’t sell the Indy low bushings anymore 90a to be specific
[close]
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/genuine-parts-low-conical-90a-cushions-medium-orange-independent

Dang the source is the only place now I guess

I just know since they stopped making the lows they don’t really have the 90a low bushings on the major internet shops like skate warehouse and tactics
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #6059 on: August 14, 2019, 08:18:32 PM »
Expand Quote

Krux turn like:
a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

Krux grind like:
a) Indy
b) Venture
c) Thunder
d) Shit
other) _________

[close]

Krux turn like:
b) Venture

b) Venture
c) Thunder

a) Indy(for the highs)
c) Thunder(for the lows but maybe a 1mm taller than thunder 147)

Krux grind like:
other) sorta like aces maybe

Krux rating overall 1-10: a solid 7 for me

They turn okay very similar to a venture but better and they respond almost like a thunder and feel sorta like a less surfy Indy, like if Indy’s we’re trying to be thunder is how I would describe it

In control and responsive but still trying to be surfy,Carvy, turny

I use to ride the downlow forever back in the day when small decks ruled but then I tried the new krux revamped with the new bushings and styles for this era of skating demand and idk, they aren’t as stable as old version

They hated being that truck that didn’t turn I guess so they started doing this soft bushing that don’t turn and updating the hangar shape so it’s got more clearance but I feel like they’re not as good as the old version and that’s why Louie still rides his old krux 3.5 tall

If you ride your trucks medium to tight you’ll be okay, if you ride or prefer loose trucks maybe even medium loose I wouldn’t recommend

They just lean when you wanna crave leaving you in that stuck position of doom, if you ride medium to tight like me they’re really decent trucks almost as good as thunder with response

They do this thing so when you land awkward and try to save yourself by leaning and turning/riding it out but you only get the forgiveness of leaning sloppily with no turn/ride out

Like what those loose trucks guys do, they just land the trick even if it’s sloppy but some how loose trucks saves lives and they ride it out landing hard on one side of the board and leaning and turning that way and re stabilizing after getting balanced, Indy’s, aces, and I think even thunders let you have that loose truck forgiveness

Krux tried to implement that in the truck and your life will not be saved for they don’t turn that hard and deep

Thanks rob, lots of info. I'd like to try some to at least get the curiosity out of myself. Lately I flip flop between Venture and Thunder