Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220833 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6060 on: August 14, 2019, 10:30:35 PM »
I'm not sure how you guys can discuss Krux without mentioning wind resistance and colourways....

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6061 on: August 14, 2019, 10:59:11 PM »
I'm not sure how you guys can discuss Krux without mentioning wind resistance and colourways....

Ahahaha trust me the hole helps with kick flips due to the Air Force that goes through it and creates a aero affect that holds it centered in the air for the rotation

Colorways...is stick to the raw

I have the gold downlow and the orange raw tall

The Raws just keep it classy
yes

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #6062 on: August 15, 2019, 04:23:02 AM »

dont forget the bottle opener

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #6063 on: August 15, 2019, 06:03:43 AM »
For those guys who mix bushings, do you normally put the harder one on the bottom or top?
Thinking about mixing the bones hard and mediums to try and get a bit more stability.

Going to throw them in some tensor ATG

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
« Reply #6064 on: August 15, 2019, 06:45:09 AM »
For Independents I always did Bones hard bottoms / Bones medium tops. Would take like a week to break in but then was perfect for a year and a half. I didn't really have any real rhyme or reason to that combo aside from "I usually blow out the bottom Bones after a while, so if it's harder maybe I won't."

Right now I'm skating a set of Ventures and blew through the bushing really fast. Out of necessity I threw in the alternate Bones combo since I had them laying around, so it's medium bottom // hard top. I think I've read that this is actually the more common way to do it. I don't know how I feel about it yet, but (off topic) TBH Ventures are still on "trial mode" for me right now anyway... just trying to tinker and see if they're for me in the long haul. I'm already kinda over the fact I have to tinker at all though because the whole idea from moving away from Independent was to find a truck that just feels good stock, because I've realized that skating a truck stock is truly the only way to avoid the madness. You roll with punches instead of concocting quick fixes for everything haha.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #6065 on: August 15, 2019, 06:51:20 AM »
For those guys who mix bushings, do you normally put the harder one on the bottom or top?
Thinking about mixing the bones hard and mediums to try and get a bit more stability.

hard bottom soft top. i ran some generic hard bushing on the bottom and bones blues on the top, worked out pretty good would still turn super good but most of the time it'd stop before wheelbite on account of the hard bushing.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #6066 on: August 15, 2019, 07:01:21 AM »

I go hard bottom/soft top (97a Deluxe Supercush bottom, broken in stock Venture top). I'm a bigger guy and ride medium-tight on Venture 5.6's, and had similar setups on Venture 5.2's and Thunder 147's before this. Maybe this is in my head, but I feel the softer top gives quick response, while the hard bottom helps with stability on deeper turns. I tried soft bottom/hard top once, and it felt absolutely disgusting, but I've heard of people doing that.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6067 on: August 15, 2019, 07:19:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I go hard bottom/soft top (97a Deluxe Supercush bottom, broken in stock Venture top). I'm a bigger guy and ride medium-tight on Venture 5.6's, and had similar setups on Venture 5.2's and Thunder 147's before this. Maybe this is in my head, but I feel the softer top gives quick response, while the hard bottom helps with stability on deeper turns. I tried soft bottom/hard top once, and it felt absolutely disgusting, but I've heard of people doing that.

Sorry, I’ve done goofed. Disregard everything I said before editing this. Aces have a softer bottom and harder top and they work beautifully IMO. I guess it all comes down to preference and a million other things.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:30:54 AM by Roisto »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #6068 on: August 15, 2019, 07:32:02 AM »
Thanks for the responses, I’ll try the hards on the bottom first.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #6069 on: August 15, 2019, 07:40:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Aces have a harder bottom and softer top and Ace bushings are arguably the best bushings around so maybe there is a point to be running a harder bottom bushing and a softer top on other trucks too.

I think you have this the wrong way around. Pretty sure Ace is softer bottom and harder top, which is the combo I have always preferred in most my trucks. I run Ace bushings in Krux and it's fantastic.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6070 on: August 15, 2019, 08:55:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Aces have a harder bottom and softer top and Ace bushings are arguably the best bushings around so maybe there is a point to be running a harder bottom bushing and a softer top on other trucks too.

While no basis in fact, having tried the ACE bushings in Thunder and Venture, I feel as if that duro combination excels in the opposite camp's geo: ACE/Indy (I rand them in MLs as well and they felt great). They did not work like magic in Ventures despite being the same size and shape bushings.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6071 on: August 15, 2019, 11:28:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think you have this the wrong way around. Pretty sure Ace is softer bottom and harder top, which is the combo I have always preferred in most my trucks. I run Ace bushings in Krux and it's fantastic.

Shit. You’re right. Better go fix my reply, so it won’t cause any more confusion. 😬

1xz5h

• Rep: -7
« Reply #6072 on: August 16, 2019, 06:33:53 PM »
Settin up a couple decks with Indy Stage 11s and Bones hard bushings. Pretty sure (based on the bushings' instructions) the consensus is to keep on the top washer only. My question's which washer? The thin plated Bones one or the top/stock Indy washer?

Appreciate any feedback!

Edit: This vid looks like he uses the stock top washer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8uFQt-qnb8
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:09:08 PM by 1xz5h »

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6073 on: August 16, 2019, 10:32:53 PM »
Settin up a couple decks with Indy Stage 11s and Bones hard bushings. Pretty sure (based on the bushings' instructions) the consensus is to keep on the top washer only. My question's which washer? The thin plated Bones one or the top/stock Indy washer?

Appreciate any feedback!

Edit: This vid looks like he uses the stock top washer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8uFQt-qnb8

bones washer gives you more room for adjustment.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #6074 on: August 17, 2019, 08:56:38 AM »
I found out that bones without bottom washer lower the truck and you loose turn ability and because of the hard plastic inserts you don’t need a top washer not to fuck up/blow out your top bushings.

So I put the washer underneath to keep the same height and run no washer on the top. Feels best for bones in Indy for me.

PMA

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #6075 on: August 17, 2019, 10:28:27 AM »

1xz5h

• Rep: -7
« Reply #6076 on: August 17, 2019, 12:59:15 PM »
I found out that bones without bottom washer lower the truck and you loose turn ability and because of the hard plastic inserts you don’t need a top washer not to fuck up/blow out your top bushings.

So I put the washer underneath to keep the same height and run no washer on the top. Feels best for bones in Indy for me.

Thanks for the advice man. Just switched in the bottom for the top.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #6077 on: August 17, 2019, 04:29:43 PM »
Big moves in truck world

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1RV_bnhULu/
Sincere question, why are people leaving independent? Bobby Worrest in the beginning of the year Alex Olson now Grosso. Is it really all about China? Isn’t ace made in China?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #6078 on: August 17, 2019, 04:34:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for the advice man. Just switched in the bottom for the top.

Back this as well, run it in my 159s. Top washer on the bottom, bones flat washer on top, kingpin nut flush. Best turn I've ever had.

ballintoohard

« Reply #6079 on: August 17, 2019, 04:36:05 PM »
Olson has been on Ace for a while. Probably because Ace is owned by people that skate and not the NHS conglomerate of toy store looking products.

I still like the way my 149s ride on the DLX full se shape although Thunders aren’t too far off, but I can’t stick with another combo.

In other news Cromer is now included in the Venture edits.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6080 on: August 17, 2019, 04:45:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Big moves in truck world

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1RV_bnhULu/
[close]
Sincere question, why are people leaving independent? Bobby Worrest in the beginning of the year Alex Olson now Grosso. Is it really all about China? Isn’t ace made in China?

Nah, you'd be hard pressed to find some mass exodus from a company (in Skateboarding at least), based solely industrial protectionism. Half of Crail didn't quit just because the wood went to shit (the mass quitting happened later). As someone pointed out in UWT there's some thinly veiled digs at current management in Grosso's post.

Though I'm mostly talking out of my ass, if you follow the threads of people quitting Indy, and if they comment about it (i.e Andy Roy talking about them being a 'toy' company now, owned by Mattel or something? AR is incoherent as shit), there's likely something going on behind the scenes with the owners, tm's etc. that's driving the shift to other companies. The fact they moved production to China is likely a byproduct of unpopular management rather than the reason itself. And it seems like there's been friction since Tershay left way back, so... who the fuck knows. I'd love some insider tell-all.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6081 on: August 17, 2019, 05:00:51 PM »

Maybe I'm wrong, but in my mind Independent was an American symbol, like Harley Davidson. Now that they are 100% produced outside the US, I suppose that people feel betrayed ? Ace never played that game, their strategy is basically "we make the type of trucks that we love to ride, take it or leave it".

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6082 on: August 17, 2019, 09:50:38 PM »
apparently, Joey Tershy wanted to make a similarly designed truck while he still worked with Indy but they resisted.
Ace are just making a truck people wanted and want. Many older diehards had a hard time abandoning Indy but its getting easier to distance oneself for reasons mentioned above.

Now if Ace could retool their sizes....

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #6083 on: August 17, 2019, 10:11:28 PM »
...and use better metals so they don't break as easily and use washers that actually fit the bushings etc...

also, i don't think the sizes should be completely changed, it's gonna be confusing as fuck and the current 66 size is apparently gonna disappear so they should really just add an 8.5 hanger to the lineup and stop fucking around so much and just stick to the current design while perfecting the smaller details.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #6084 on: August 17, 2019, 11:04:27 PM »
I think Indy never paid, or paid much.  Skaters didn't care though because they were making money elsewhere....Now they aren't. 

I was hoping Grosso was going to get on gullwing....

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6085 on: August 17, 2019, 11:25:40 PM »
I skate 8.5, tried Ace's 44 and 55 and it was a total failure for me. I loved how 44's felt and turned but they just didn't worked for me.
I would love to try again when Ace will be offering an 8.5 truck. Until then I'm sticking with my 149
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

chappers

« Reply #6086 on: August 18, 2019, 07:38:33 AM »
Olson has been on Ace for a while. Probably because Ace is owned by people that skate and not the NHS conglomerate of toy store looking products.

I still like the way my 149s ride on the DLX full se shape although Thunders aren’t too far off, but I can’t stick with another combo.

In other news Cromer is now included in the Venture edits.

cromer was only credited as a filmer for one the clips. did you even watch the ig post?

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6087 on: August 18, 2019, 08:41:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
...and use better metals so they don't break as easily and use washers that actually fit the bushings etc...

also, i don't think the sizes should be completely changed, it's gonna be confusing as fuck and the current 66 size is apparently gonna disappear so they should really just add an 8.5 hanger to the lineup and stop fucking around so much and just stick to the current design while perfecting the smaller details.

44s are so close to a 149 we are talking 3mm in overall hangar width. What we really need is a size between 44 and 55. Say 8.6 or 8.75.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6088 on: August 18, 2019, 08:55:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

44s are so close to a 149 we are talking 3mm in overall hangar width. What we really need is a size between 44 and 55. Say 8.6 or 8.75.

This! An Ace 50 would be great at 8.6875“!

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #6089 on: August 18, 2019, 09:05:33 AM »
I skate 8.5, tried Ace's 44 and 55 and it was a total failure for me. I loved how 44's felt and turned but they just didn't worked for me.
I would love to try again when Ace will be offering an 8.5 truck. Until then I'm sticking with my 149

There's no way this is anything but mental. Put some extra washers in and call em 8.5.