Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232298 times)

Beeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6180 on: August 27, 2019, 08:00:35 PM »
All I'm asking for is for trucks to get more medium....

I guess that's what I want too. I just consider everything either low (47-51mm) or high (52-55mm).

Something 8.25" + at around 50mm would be nice.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #6181 on: August 27, 2019, 09:00:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I guess that's what I want too. I just consider everything either low (47-51mm) or high (52-55mm).

Something 8.25" + at around 50mm would be nice.

8.25+ Thunders are pretty middle of the road in height. You can subtract a mm or so by going with forged. Anyone have trustworthy current Thunder height measurements?

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6182 on: August 27, 2019, 10:00:39 PM »

Yeah me too, like a stage 10 Indy height and sorta style and feel but some stage 11 turn-ability

Man I need to see these new Indy lows!! Why did they use the old stock standard lows??

yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6183 on: August 27, 2019, 10:17:58 PM »
There should be a Mindy...

I skate thunder team hollows or titaniums 148's and they are awesome...I'm more or less just trolling...

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6184 on: August 28, 2019, 12:01:22 AM »
There should be a Mindy...

I skate thunder team hollows or titaniums 148's and they are awesome...I'm more or less just trolling...

Keep a look out they’re gonna steal that and post it on their Instagram

The new ”mindy” in between a standard and low for the best of both worlds

Yeah I was doing the thunder 148 for a bit but I’m a kook and want my board a little lighter so I went from my ti 148 to some old ti 147

So far it’s working but I kinda miss the stability and height of the titanium 148

Might go back now

Was loving the heck out of my royal 5.25 standards buttttt the grind clearance is horrid and idk if I’m willing to go for the unstable inverted pin, it’s one of the reasons I lost my love for the krux lows

Any inverted style kingpin I tried doesn’t feel stable, it gives a weird response to the turn

It feels like the whole pin shifts at an slight angle before the hangar can lean and turn

If the royals had better regular kingpin clearance I’d definitely be riding those for a good few months

They’re just what me and mike Carroll wanted

A quick pop response, just like he said

When you setup a board that’s what you want right a way, a good quick pop response and especially for me a person who moves too instantaneously

Had problems with my tre flips for a while cause I would pop and scoop and flick all at once and expect a good fast tre, then my friend who was spectating told me not to pop and scoop so fast and low and behold

Got those 360 flips back, just had to adjust my back foots instant scoop action

Back to the point, royals work for those who want a quick action

They’re like thunders but more stable so you don’t have as much quick decent turn and grind clearance, but you have easier Ollie’s and flip tricks and they turn better than ventures and don’t extend your wheel base

They’re almost like an Indy that is trying to be a thunder

Similar Indy geo but thunder height and response
yes

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #6185 on: August 28, 2019, 12:21:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

When will they come out with an 8.125 mid...
[close]

I was gonna say anything low over 8," don't know why it's such a no-no.

Mini Logo. Low 8.38 and 8.75.

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6186 on: August 28, 2019, 01:01:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It`s so weird that it is impossible to get an low 8+ to 8.25 truck.
Now Indy has a chance, since Venture screwed up. Please do one.
I skate venture 5,2 low, Thunder 147 or 148forged(quite low), or Mini logo.
Of course Mini Logo could do one too. 8,125-8,2,,, or something, and re design the baseplate a bit :)
There is Theeve too, with 8,19 axle and something like 51mm height. But they are so hard to get where i live.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6187 on: August 28, 2019, 03:55:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It`s so weird that it is impossible to get an low 8+ to 8.25 truck.
Now Indy has a chance, since Venture screwed up. Please do one.
I skate venture 5,2 low, Thunder 147 or 148forged(quite low), or Mini logo.
Of course Mini Logo could do one too. 8,125-8,2,,, or something, and re design the baseplate a bit :)
There is Theeve too, with 8,19 axle and something like 51mm height. But they are so hard to get where i live.
Theeves are fucking great! I'm skating destructo d1 mag now, don't know how high they are, but I'm super happy with them. First time ever I really had  trouble breaking trucks in though. I've skated a lot of different trucks the last few years, I'll try anything, but for some reason I just can't skate indys. I was convinced I wanted mid/lower trucks so I haven't tried a pair myself since they made stage 11. When I've tried them on friends board I always ghost pop nollie flips and they just don't feel right.

I have tried, and liked:
thunder 147 hi light/hollow, used to be my go to.
theeve 5.5 tiax/tiking
mini logo 8.0
royal 5.25 mid
venture 5.2 high
tensor tens maglight 5.5
krux forged 8.25
destructo d1 mag 5.5

I also set up  pair of thunder 149 hollows on a big board and had one of the best days of all indoor season on it first session.
Regular set up:
Sweet Ali Boulala collab 8,125
Destructo d1 mag 5,5
F4 52 mm 99a classic
Swiss 6
diamond
mob

Was given this shaped deck at an event and set it up, I've always skated 8.0-8.1 with 8.0-8.25 trucks but I ripped the shit out of this one first session.
Sweet 8,8
Thunder hollow lights 149
Gold 51 mm Kalis
Bronson raw
shake junt
cheetah print Eli Reed grizzly

But yeah, fuck indy and their high ass truck.

Edit: Also tried a pair I didn't like, krux forged hollow downlow 8.0, those truck didn't steer for shit. Like I could make them turn, but small adjustments while riding up to the ledge wasn't working.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 04:41:35 AM by bbk »

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #6188 on: August 28, 2019, 05:33:08 PM »
Say what u will about longboarders, but they definitely have their shit figured out when it comes to all things bushings...

These seem to be identically shaped to thunder bushings:
https://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=37037

Dude I literally just got those exact bushings today haha. They are indeed identical to Thunders, I put them in a set of 147 raws and they're great. They're a little bit of a more matte surface, almost like they're more porous or something, and feel a bit firmer to the touch. Granted I've only got about an hour on them and they may change but right out of the box they've got a very steady and predictable lean to them that works very nicely with the quick response that Thunders have. A bit pricey but if they stay this way they will be my new go-to for 3rd party cones. Now that I've tried the venoms and they were so nice I kind of want to try one of those fancy Riptide PU formulas out.

Also, Xen's incessant shilling for Theeve finally got to me and I ordered a pair. Got the Ti-Ax 5.5 raw, put them on a brand new Pennswood Scumco Logo 8.25. I'm trying really, really hard not to ride it yet because I'm making a concerted effort to stick with one setup for more than a week in an effort to improve my consistency but goddamn it's really hard. I might have to sneak out and take it for a cruise to get coffee in the morning. If anyone wants a good deal on them this place has them for $28, as well as some good deals on other "traditional kingpin trucks" as the longboarders say. It's legit and the shipping was relatively fast, got them in 4 business days. Free shipping @ $50 so grab 2 pairs or some fancy bushings.

https://www.thelongboardstore.com/categories/trucks.html

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #6189 on: August 28, 2019, 05:53:10 PM »
anybody care to give a comparison between ventures and thunders? do thunders extend the wheelbase a similar amount to ventures?

Diocletian

« Reply #6190 on: August 28, 2019, 05:57:14 PM »
Those theeve’s are the V2’s which had bad quality control and the whole bushing seat problem they fixed with the V3’s. I almost pulled the trigger on those sale ones but Steve said avoid at all costs and he would never steer us wrong.

ballintoohard

« Reply #6191 on: August 28, 2019, 07:39:25 PM »
anybody care to give a comparison between ventures and thunders? do thunders extend the wheelbase a similar amount to ventures?

Thunders extend it but not by as much as Venture. Ventures extend by about 1/8" per truck, slightly more.  Ventures wobble more at the top and don't turn as sharp nor as deep. 

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #6192 on: August 29, 2019, 03:50:57 AM »

Thunders definitely turn deeper, quicker and sharper but are a little twitchier and generally feel more responsive. Ventures (idk about the lows) have way more kingpin clearance and feel a little more stable to me. Ventures also don't seem to wheelbite as much and the baseplate slides on the side of the ledge for noseslides and tailslides as opposed to the wheels.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #6193 on: August 29, 2019, 04:12:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Say what u will about longboarders, but they definitely have their shit figured out when it comes to all things bushings...

[close]

Dude I literally just got those exact bushings today haha. They are indeed identical to Thunders, I put them in a set of 147 raws and they're great. They're a little bit of a more matte surface, almost like they're more porous or something, and feel a bit firmer to the touch. Granted I've only got about an hour on them and they may change but right out of the box they've got a very steady and predictable lean to them that works very nicely with the quick response that Thunders have. A bit pricey but if they stay this way they will be my new go-to for 3rd party cones. Now that I've tried the venoms and they were so nice I kind of want to try one of those fancy Riptide PU formulas out.

Also, Xen's incessant shilling for Theeve finally got to me and I ordered a pair. Got the Ti-Ax 5.5 raw, put them on a brand new Pennswood Scumco Logo 8.25. I'm trying really, really hard not to ride it yet because I'm making a concerted effort to stick with one setup for more than a week in an effort to improve my consistency but goddamn it's really hard. I might have to sneak out and take it for a cruise to get coffee in the morning. If anyone wants a good deal on them this place has them for $28, as well as some good deals on other "traditional kingpin trucks" as the longboarders say. It's legit and the shipping was relatively fast, got them in 4 business days. Free shipping @ $50 so grab 2 pairs or some fancy bushings.

Fuck yeah, thanks for sharing. I knew they looked pretty similar gauging from the eye test. This should free up more options for thunder users! That brand carries about 14 options, not to mention that they have other boardside bushings that look compatible for shortboards, as well.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6194 on: August 29, 2019, 04:45:51 AM »
Those theeve’s are the V2’s which had bad quality control and the whole bushing seat problem they fixed with the V3’s. I almost pulled the trigger on those sale ones but Steve said avoid at all costs and he would never steer us wrong.

What's the bushing seat issue? I don't see any superficial issues with the ones I got - casting looks good, no missing/extra metal anywhere, trucks weigh the same etc but I'm not very familiar with theeve and I don't know what to look for. The only thing I noticed was that the bones bushings are yellowed on the side that faced outward so they must have been sitting for a while.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #6195 on: August 29, 2019, 06:43:24 AM »
this thread got so boring, i think it cured my truck ocd

PMA

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #6196 on: August 29, 2019, 08:49:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What's the bushing seat issue? I don't see any superficial issues with the ones I got - casting looks good, no missing/extra metal anywhere, trucks weigh the same etc but I'm not very familiar with theeve and I don't know what to look for. The only thing I noticed was that the bones bushings are yellowed on the side that faced outward so they must have been sitting for a while.

There was this page i don't remember exactly that showed the issue with v2's. The kingpin wasn't centered on the oval yoke of the hanger, so the bottom bushing would get extra pressure from one side, eventually popping out of the seat. You could check by putting the hangar on the baseplate without the bottom bushing, if it''s centered it's fine, if not you got the bad ones. They said solution was changing pivot cups to harder ones, like khiro.

I have a pair of v2 tiax, one truck fine one fucked. Just don't tighten too much and you will be fine.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #6197 on: August 29, 2019, 09:30:05 AM »
true, thunders and ventures are mediocre and uninteresting in just about every way imaginable. also people being so unsure of themselves that they ask randos online if they should use products they've already purchased...lol. and the repeating of the same topics and  information over and over and over again...really puts into perspective how gay this whole thing is and it makes me want to buy new indys just to skate them completely stock.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 09:31:45 AM by I AM »

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6198 on: August 29, 2019, 09:31:37 AM »
how gay

You're stuck in the 90s anyway.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #6199 on: August 29, 2019, 09:41:13 AM »
Expand Quote
how gay
[close]

i wasn't alive in the 90s, but i bet you were. imagine thinking that following the trends and mimicking the currently accepted social behaviors is anything but lame and gay. you'd have to be an old, decrepit, out of touch boomer to think that...lol.
anyway.
also, what is this referring to? my opinion on trucks? did nobody fuck with their trucks in the 90s?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 09:45:25 AM by I AM »

ballintoohard

« Reply #6200 on: August 29, 2019, 10:01:38 AM »
I can sum up the 90's and early 2000's fairly easily, at least from where I grew up:

Indy's were for hesh dawgs, pool skaters, dudes who skated "big" shit.

Most peoples in the Bay skated Venture low's. A few randoms skated Thunders. In my crew Indy's were heavy and fore the skatepark kids. You didn't see dudes down at Pier 7 on them often.  You did what these dudes did.

Eventually more people realized Indy's were fine and not that much heavier. Thunder got a bigger presence. There was 1 kid who always had some other brand- Royal, Tensor, etc. That was often me because I rarely had a chance to go to the skateshop so when I got taken to get a complete I got whatever was there, which was often jack shit. I would then trade these trucks plus lunch money for Ventures.

This story probably isn't true for anywhere else.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #6201 on: August 29, 2019, 11:25:02 AM »
I can sum up the 90's and early 2000's fairly easily, at least from where I grew up:

Indy's were for hesh dawgs, pool skaters, dudes who skated "big" shit.

Most peoples in the Bay skated Venture low's. A few randoms skated Thunders. In my crew Indy's were heavy and fore the skatepark kids. You didn't see dudes down at Pier 7 on them often.  You did what these dudes did.

Eventually more people realized Indy's were fine and not that much heavier. Thunder got a bigger presence. There was 1 kid who always had some other brand- Royal, Tensor, etc. That was often me because I rarely had a chance to go to the skateshop so when I got taken to get a complete I got whatever was there, which was often jack shit. I would then trade these trucks plus lunch money for Ventures.

This story probably isn't true for anywhere else.

Nah pretty accurate to my upbringing, and I was on the west coast but not California
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #6202 on: August 29, 2019, 11:36:31 AM »
Grind king trucks with everything on them

shout out satoshi for the box

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6203 on: August 29, 2019, 12:01:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
how gay
[close]

[close]
i wasn't alive in the 90s, but i bet you were. imagine thinking that following the trends and mimicking the currently accepted social behaviors is anything but lame and gay. you'd have to be an old, decrepit, out of touch boomer to think that...lol.
Expand Quote
anyway.
[close]
also, what is this referring to? my opinion on trucks? did nobody fuck with their trucks in the 90s?

I'm definitely old

and you are definitely

a total fucking Kook.

I was referring to your dated terminology. Get the fuck out of here with your homophobic bullshit.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6204 on: August 29, 2019, 02:32:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
how gay
[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
anyway.
[close]

Dude you had a fair point about topics getting regurgitated ad nauseam in this thread, and wanting to say 'fuck it' and ride stock, but Tea Drinker is right, slurs are whack. They got no business here.

Also, have to be that guy - boomers refer to people born after WWII. I'm 30, was alive in the 90s, and society at large considers me a millennial. None of that is mutually exclusive to knowing casual homophobia is dogshit, especially as a rationale for protesting trends. Tighten your shit up.

Reese

« Reply #6205 on: August 29, 2019, 04:28:46 PM »
Me in the corner still pissed off at my 169's leaning to the right for a month now

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #6206 on: August 29, 2019, 04:32:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The guy is a mile from my house. He used to have a physical store in town and is now running out of his garage. I stopped in a couple weeks ago to get some Ace 22s and some mini logo wheels. He also has a bunch of F4 classic 101s in a box that aren’t on the site.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #6207 on: August 29, 2019, 05:54:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
true, thunders and ventures are mediocre and uninteresting in just about every way imaginable. also people being so unsure of themselves that they ask randos online if they should use products they've already purchased...lol. and the repeating of the same topics and  information over and over and over again...really puts into perspective how gay this whole thing is and it makes me want to buy new indys just to skate them completely stock.

Cool story bro. Why don’t you get the fuck out the thread and go skate some stock Indy’s to spite us then?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6208 on: August 30, 2019, 02:09:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There was this page i don't remember exactly that showed the issue with v2's. The kingpin wasn't centered on the oval yoke of the hanger, so the bottom bushing would get extra pressure from one side, eventually popping out of the seat. You could check by putting the hangar on the baseplate without the bottom bushing, if it''s centered it's fine, if not you got the bad ones. They said solution was changing pivot cups to harder ones, like khiro.

I have a pair of v2 tiax, one truck fine one fucked. Just don't tighten too much and you will be fine.

It looks like mine are ok, but do you think I should pop harder cups in anyways just to be safe? It does look like theres two different cups in them, one sticks up a bit further than the other. I took them for a spin and to be honest I'm not crazy about them so far but it was a very limited trial.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6209 on: August 30, 2019, 04:28:41 AM »
Me in the corner still pissed off at my 169's leaning to the right for a month now

did you skate them loose for a few sessions to break in the bushings and are they exceptionally tight now?  One thing you can do is loosen the trucks, turn the bushings 90 degrees (1/4 turn around) and then skate them.  This will help set the rebound.

That being said, if you have them cranked down nothing will help