Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231901 times)

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6210 on: August 30, 2019, 05:19:27 AM »
Me in the corner still pissed off at my 169's leaning to the right for a month now

Do you notice it when you're skating? My Ace 44's have a noticeable tilt to the right (mostly the front truck), but once I'm on the board I can't tell and I forget about it.

I AM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
« Reply #6211 on: August 30, 2019, 05:23:30 AM »
damn when did skaters become such boring, average, dumbass faggots? lol. “boomer” refers to the zoomer/boomer meme, which really just goes to show how out of touch and old you are, meaning YOU are the one who is dated, not my terminology. and why do you care about the gays so much? are you gay? or are you just conforming to current societal norms? because ill bet fucking money that you two fucks said shit was “gay” all the fucking time back then.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
this thread got so boring, i think it cured my truck ocd
[close]
true, thunders and ventures are mediocre and uninteresting in just about every way imaginable. also people being so unsure of themselves that they ask randos online if they should use products they've already purchased...lol. and the repeating of the same topics and  information over and over and over again...really puts into perspective how gay this whole thing is and it makes me want to buy new indys just to skate them completely stock.
[close]

Cool story bro. Why don’t you get the fuck out the thread and go skate some stock Indy’s to spite us then?
Cool story bro. Why don't you get the fuck out the thread because you're boring ass posts are shitting up the whole place?

Reese

« Reply #6212 on: August 30, 2019, 06:40:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Me in the corner still pissed off at my 169's leaning to the right for a month now

[close]

did you skate them loose for a few sessions to break in the bushings and are they exceptionally tight now?  One thing you can do is loosen the trucks, turn the bushings 90 degrees (1/4 turn around) and then skate them.  This will help set the rebound.

Rode them flush for a little on 52's, not as long as usual though. Right now they are barely 2 threads deep because I'm trying risers and 60's

Good call on rotating the bushing. Just wanted to give it time to ride out if it was ever going to

Pivot cups as well

Do you notice it when you're skating? My Ace 44's have a noticeable tilt to the right (mostly the front truck), but once I'm on the board I can't tell and I forget about it.

I notice the right bias when I come back down a big qp sketchy

When I land heavy/sloppy maxing out the lean on that side it just sticks when I step off the board

*66's on the way tho
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 07:45:59 AM by Reese »

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6213 on: August 30, 2019, 07:54:33 AM »
damn when did skaters become such boring, average, dumbass faggots? lol. “boomer” refers to the zoomer/boomer meme, which really just goes to show how out of touch and old you are, meaning YOU are the one who is dated, not my terminology. and why do you care about the gays so much? are you gay? or are you just conforming to current societal norms? because ill bet fucking money that you two fucks said shit was “gay” all the fucking time back then.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
true, thunders and ventures are mediocre and uninteresting in just about every way imaginable. also people being so unsure of themselves that they ask randos online if they should use products they've already purchased...lol. and the repeating of the same topics and  information over and over and over again...really puts into perspective how gay this whole thing is and it makes me want to buy new indys just to skate them completely stock.
[close]

Cool story bro. Why don’t you get the fuck out the thread and go skate some stock Indy’s to spite us then?
[close]
Cool story bro. Why don't you get the fuck out the thread because you're boring ass posts are shitting up the whole place?

Homophobic slurs were abundant in skateboarding in the 90s but now people seem to be more onboard calling out wankers  like you, which is an improvement. Wasn't cool with me then, isn't cool with me now. I can spell out the reasons if you're really interested why but I doubt it.

I am dated and loving it but I really don't hear any kids using the term 'gay' to voice disapproval at something in this day and age.  So yes, you are using outdated unacceptable language or living in some redneck bubble.  Shit, will catch up to you soon.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:16:22 AM by Serious Tea Drinker »

I AM

« Reply #6214 on: August 30, 2019, 08:28:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
but now people seem to be more onboard

I really don't hear any kids using the term 'gay' to voice disapproval at something in this day and age.
you're literally just proving my point, while also proving that you don't really understand mine.
shit will catch up to you soon.
is that a threat? you know whats worse than using a “homophobic slur” when you're not even saying it to anyone in particular? making non ironic thinly veiled threats at people. what if i was gay huh? wouldn't you be wishing death upon a member of the lgbtq? isn't that worse than anything i ever did? you don't know me...i might suck your fucking dick. and why do you think karma or god or whatever will be on your side? are you banking on the government killing everyone who has ever used the word “gay” as an insult? isn't that facist as fuck? lol.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6215 on: August 30, 2019, 08:37:28 AM »
soooooooo....how about them pivot cups.  Am i right?!?!

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6216 on: August 30, 2019, 08:40:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
but now people seem to be more onboard

I really don't hear any kids using the term 'gay' to voice disapproval at something in this day and age.
[close]
you're literally just proving my point, while also proving that you don't really understand mine.
Expand Quote
shit will catch up to you soon.
[close]
is that a threat? you know whats worse than using a “homophobic slur” when you're not even saying it to anyone in particular? making non ironic thinly veiled threats at people. what if i was gay huh? wouldn't you be wishing death upon a member of the lgbtq? isn't that worse than anything i ever did? you don't know me...i might suck your fucking dick. and why do you think karma or god or whatever will be on your side? are you banking on the government killing everyone who has ever used the word “gay” as an insult? isn't that facist as fuck? lol.

Are you threatened? See you in the PMs.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #6217 on: August 30, 2019, 09:04:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

did you skate them loose for a few sessions to break in the bushings and are they exceptionally tight now?  One thing you can do is loosen the trucks, turn the bushings 90 degrees (1/4 turn around) and then skate them.  This will help set the rebound.

That being said, if you have them cranked down nothing will help

Was going to say something similar, but I like the sound the sound of the turning ye bushings to change the position! Haven’t heard that one.
 All of the other stuff is bang on: loose as possible for a few days, gradually tighten. If you like Tony Hawk tight, make sure to get bushings that are super hard. And I’d still break em in for a little before cranking them down. I used to do this ALL the time when getting a new setup. And then just be bummed (just crank the bushings down), always break bushings, or push them over the edge of the washers. After getting older and way worse I got into just riding around more, so I’ll go out and just push around not really try much, helps everything get settled.
 I want to NOT tight truck shame here. I think the loose loose loose trucks thing is fun/funny, but can be very wack. I could Ollie way better with tight trucks. Some folks with tight trucks look awesome (Andrew Reynolds), and some folks look less cool when they loosen they shit up (Chris Joslin is by no means my favorite skater, but his footage on venture lows, which I’m assuming had to be pretty tight, looks way better to me than when he switched to Indy)

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #6218 on: August 30, 2019, 11:18:33 AM »
soooooooo....how about them pivot cups.  Am i right?!?!

Tell me about it! Ugh, amiright?
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6219 on: August 30, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I notice the right bias when I come back down a big qp sketchy

When I land heavy/sloppy maxing out the lean on that side it just sticks when I step off the board

*66's on the way tho

Ahh, understood. No big transition in my game, whatsoever.

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #6220 on: August 30, 2019, 02:33:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Those theeve’s are the V2’s which had bad quality control and the whole bushing seat problem they fixed with the V3’s. I almost pulled the trigger on those sale ones but Steve said avoid at all costs and he would never steer us wrong.
[close]

What's the bushing seat issue? I don't see any superficial issues with the ones I got - casting looks good, no missing/extra metal anywhere, trucks weigh the same etc but I'm not very familiar with theeve and I don't know what to look for. The only thing I noticed was that the bones bushings are yellowed on the side that faced outward so they must have been sitting for a while.
[close]

There was this page i don't remember exactly that showed the issue with v2's. The kingpin wasn't centered on the oval yoke of the hanger, so the bottom bushing would get extra pressure from one side, eventually popping out of the seat. You could check by putting the hangar on the baseplate without the bottom bushing, if it''s centered it's fine, if not you got the bad ones. They said solution was changing pivot cups to harder ones, like khiro.

I have a pair of v2 tiax, one truck fine one fucked. Just don't tighten too much and you will be fine.
[close]

It looks like mine are ok, but do you think I should pop harder cups in anyways just to be safe? It does look like theres two different cups in them, one sticks up a bit further than the other. I took them for a spin and to be honest I'm not crazy about them so far but it was a very limited trial.

No, if they are fine ride stock. You should give them some time, they turn a bit different than most trucks. Stable in center but turny as an indy if you lean. I would ride nothing else if i could find some 5.85 where i live.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #6221 on: August 30, 2019, 05:14:39 PM »
Anyone have any experience with changing the kingpin in these tensor ATG’s. Snapped mine and it’s a total bitch to get out and I’m not having much luck.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #6222 on: August 30, 2019, 05:15:14 PM »
No, if they are fine ride stock. You should give them some time, they turn a bit different than most trucks. Stable in center but turny as an indy if you lean. I would ride nothing else if i could find some 5.85 where i live.

Yeah I rode them a bit more today and started to acclimate a bit. Unfortunately, before that I bombed a small hill and wobbled out... was able to stay on my feet and run it out but tweaked something in the ankle I wrecked in the military. Luckily nothing serious, but I'm taking it easy for a few days.  I moved them over to my DOA deck because I want to investigate this deck more and also because the flatter concave is a little more comfortable on the ankle when I'm pushing and I dont know if it was that or just more time with them or both but they feel better. I'm still curious and undecided but they're definitely a little weird. I did swap the bones mediums that they came with for a broken in pair that I had but other than that I didn't change anything. Thanks for the advice Kike.

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #6223 on: August 30, 2019, 05:29:15 PM »
Expand Quote
...I want to NOT tight truck shame here. I think the loose loose loose trucks thing is fun/funny, but can be very wack. I could Ollie way better with tight trucks. Some folks with tight trucks look awesome (Andrew Reynolds), ...

Did you see this from his Instagram story the other day.  Those are the Yellow Indy 'Super Hard' 96 bushings.  And maybe three threads showing on the back.

ArtVandelay

« Reply #6224 on: August 31, 2019, 01:32:21 AM »
Walking into the truck set-up thread is like walking into a Trekkie Convention.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #6225 on: August 31, 2019, 09:37:53 AM »
Thunder 161s 9.125" Axle coming end of Sept according the Thunder Insta.

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6226 on: August 31, 2019, 01:48:09 PM »

Yesss.....please.....more.......awesome ;D

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6227 on: September 01, 2019, 04:03:05 AM »
Has anyone actually seen the venture 5.6 v-lights for sale anywhere? They were in the summer catalog that came out months ago but I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #6228 on: September 01, 2019, 07:13:33 AM »

A Truckie Convention
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

whenyousleep

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6229 on: September 01, 2019, 11:07:26 AM »
Has anyone actually seen the venture 5.6 v-lights for sale anywhere? They were in the summer catalog that came out months ago but I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

If you don't mind buying online, I just got a set from SoCal Skateshop off their website. It was the only place I could find them.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6230 on: September 01, 2019, 07:17:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you don't mind buying online, I just got a set from SoCal Skateshop off their website. It was the only place I could find them.

Do you have a link? All I see are the 5.2 and 5.8's.

I AM

« Reply #6231 on: September 01, 2019, 10:29:35 PM »
i've had a problem with standard indys where the axles get stripped and i'd have to get new nuts every week and recently the kingpin went loose so i was wondering if hollows/forged baseplates would be any better?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6232 on: September 02, 2019, 02:50:01 AM »
i've had a problem with standard indys where the axles get stripped and i'd have to get new nuts every week and recently the kingpin went loose so i was wondering if hollows/forged baseplates would be any better?

I don't know if the forged plate would necessarily be less likely to come loose by nature but one of the unexpected side effects of the move away from Ermico seems to be better overall quality in the Chinese trucks. It definitely can't hurt. If you want I think I have a pair of extra 6 hole baseplates in my box of junk that I can give you, or you can order them online for like $5.

Alternatively if it isn't too beat up you could try just using loctite or something like that, I've even heard of people jb welding kingpins in place.

I AM

« Reply #6233 on: September 02, 2019, 03:05:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know if the forged plate would necessarily be less likely to come loose by nature but one of the unexpected side effects of the move away from Ermico seems to be better overall quality in the Chinese trucks. It definitely can't hurt. If you want I think I have a pair of extra 6 hole baseplates in my box of junk that I can give you, or you can order them online for like $5.

Alternatively if it isn't too beat up you could try just using loctite or something like that, I've even heard of people jb welding kingpins in place.
ahh man, thanks for the offer but i don't live in america so i'll try and find a deal online. did you have problems with the axle stripping and did it get better with the china made ones?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6234 on: September 02, 2019, 03:09:13 AM »
use an extra washer or two and don't tighten the nut past flush.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #6235 on: September 02, 2019, 04:01:48 AM »
Ok, for you dudes super into thunder. Please save me a ton of searching.

What’s the different between the team hollows and the team lights and the titanium ones.

Currently on tensors ATG and just can’t do it anymore.

Thinking about getting the titanium thunders but not sure what to expect in terms of performance and extending the wheelbase from the ATG’s

What after market parts are best in them, since I’ve read bones doesn’t always play nice.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6236 on: September 02, 2019, 04:02:34 AM »
ahh man, thanks for the offer but i don't live in america so i'll try and find a deal online. did you have problems with the axle stripping and did it get better with the china made ones?

Well I'm a fucking awful skateboarder so my axles get smashed a lot from landing on them no matter what truck, but I didn't really notice any change in that regard. I have one of those pig tools with the axle rethreader so I usually just smash or sand them back into something vaguely cylindrical and then rethread them with that. It's not perfect but it works pretty well.

I AM

« Reply #6237 on: September 02, 2019, 04:28:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well I'm a fucking awful skateboarder so my axles get smashed a lot from landing on them no matter what truck, but I didn't really notice any change in that regard. I have one of those pig tools with the axle rethreader so I usually just smash or sand them back into something vaguely cylindrical and then rethread them with that. It's not perfect but it works pretty well.
i've rethreaded mine so much that the nuts just slide on and off.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #6238 on: September 02, 2019, 06:26:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

When changing wheels I never remove the nut immediately I always turn the nut back and forth a few times on the last few threads before I unscrew it completely, this helped me to increase the lifespan of my axle.

Titanium axles also seem to last longer compared to regular ones.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 06:30:13 AM by oneOone »

I AM

« Reply #6239 on: September 02, 2019, 06:46:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

When changing wheels I never remove the nut immediately I always turn the nut back and forth a few times on the last few threads before I unscrew it completely, this helped me to increase the lifespan of my axle.

Titanium axles also seem to last longer compared to regular ones.

what about the hollows?